Not Engaged Yet
Options

AW: Picked up my dress!!

Hello Ladies

I picked up my wedding gown.  I was not happy with the fit and need to lose as much weight as I can in like 85 days! 

When I ordered my dress, I was unaware it came with a hoop, so when they put me in the room with it, she said 'is this what you remember' and I was like - it's got a lot more poof than I remember.  So, I tried it on with the hoop and wasn't 100% sure I liked it, so we removed it.  What do you ladies think - hoop or no hoop?  I will admit, I liked that the hoop kept all the materials off my legs and it was a lot more 'cooler' - in Florida, that would be a huge plus - but I'm not sure I like how BIG the dress is with the hoop.  Decisions Decisions!! 

Seeing it now helps me realize I will need to get it steamed, I was hoping I could do a hand steamer and some touchups when I got to Florida, but I don't think that's going to be enough.

Here's the pictures.

With the hoop (Ha-  I'm making quite the face)

No Hoop

And the back - which is where I'm not 100% loving how the corset looks.  I know alterations will be able to fix it, but I also would like to lose some weight to help fix it too.

Anniversary

Re: AW: Picked up my dress!!

• Options
    Usually I'm not a big fan of "poof", but with this dress and with it being a Disney wedding, I prefer the look with the hoop! It looks more Disney princess to me :-)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I don't know which I like better...I think it really comes down to comfort.

Also, you look awesome! :) I love your dress.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I don't usually like hoop skirts, but I actually think both hoop and no hoop look great on you. The hoop definitely gives it a more princess feel, but either looks great.
    Anniversary

• Options
    I like the hoop look especially for a disney wedding.  They had me try on the dress with a hoop crinoline and it was too poofy to for me.  I love it!

Anniversary

• Options
    It looks good both ways, but I slightly prefer it with the hoop.

Yay dress!
  • Options
    I might ask the alterations department if they can some how make the hoop so it's not so poofy but still gives a little poof and keeps the dress off my legs.  Another thought I have is, there are actually 2 hoops - maybe I could put the one that's about 1/2 way down in and see if it hangs right.

I can't really just take the hoops out/put them in all that easy.  Taking them out adds about 5 inches of length to the dress; putting them in takes about 10-20 minutes per hoop (I think).

I found out my flight down to Disney does NOT have a closet on board.  It's not a full flight, it's a holiday weekend and we're flying on a Sunday - so part of me is thinking 'maybe there will be a seat open for my dress to go in without having to go in the overhead bin.  Another thing I'm a little nervous about doing is I can ship my dress down to the place that will steam in and deliver it to my room (I know other brides have had good experiences doing this).  I'm thinking if I ship my dress down, they may actually steam/press my dress in their store and not in my hotel room; the problem with steaming in the hotel room is it makes for a more humid environment for makeup/hair.

Anniversary
  • Options

I think the hoop looks better and really suits the Disney wedding. Without the hoop the dress is a straighter line, and I think the fuller skirt really flatters you. Andplusalso it will be WAY cooler in Florida; when I tried on the hoop that came with my grandma's dress is was really noticeable how much cooler my lower half was.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options

I like the dress with the hoop!

If I were you, I would ship it down to have it steamed and pressed there and NOT in the room like you said, it'll affect the humidity of the hotel room. I wouldn't take the chance of bringing it on your flight in case the flight fills up and you have no room for your dress.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • Options
    I think I like the hoop for a Disney wedding! You look amazing either way.
    friends tv show funy
  • Options
    I love your dress, and I love it the most with the hoop. A Disney bride needs a big princess dress. movie animated GIF
  • Options
    I prefer the hoop! I didn't think I would but it gives the dress a better shape.

• Options
    Ohhh I like it with the hoop, especially for a Disney wedding! 

• Options
    I guess the hoop wins!

I'm thinking about making an off the shoulder sleeve with the materials left from alterations.  At first I thought it might look funky, but I saw a girl on SYTTD with a similar (and much much much more expensive) dress and she added the sleeves and it looked nice (I'd do removable so if I didn't like it I wouldn't be stuck).

I so want to take my dress out of the bag to look at it!!  I should see if my FSIL will store my dress so I'm not so tempted to look at it and such.  I do want to see how hard it is to add the hoop back in now though, so if I have time, I'll do that tonight.

Anniversary
  • Options

@dignity100 when I first got my dress home, I looked at it every night. When @goldenpenguin, @csousa1, @swazzle and @hummingbird125 came to visit I put it on for them, and after that I haven't looked at my dress much (weird, maybe because if I put it on alone, I wouldn't get the same reaction I did from them, they LOVED the dress). Also glitter gets EVERYWHERE when I take it out of the bag.

I do have to put it on before I order a long-line bra. I want to get an idea of where the bust is on the dress in relation to my chest area so I order the correct bra.

Also I haven't worn my dress with all my accessories like, ever. I might do it after my first alteration appointment.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • Options
    @buddysmom80 - I brought a long line bra with me and they yelled at me saying it would be too uncomfortable with my dress. 

Anniversary
  • Options
    @Dignity100 - I'm torn too! I would normally love it without the hoop, but c'mon, it's DISNEY! It's almost like you have to wear a poofy skirt. That being said, maybe you can try the ideas you had about removing one of the hoops, but not both. I also think you're going to want that relief from the heat, October can be pretty hot and humid still (at least it has been the past few years). 

Did you happen to decide on Carolyn Allen's for your dress down here? They're my favorite bridal shop and they do a ton of Disney weddings. If I'm not mistaken, they steam the dress at the shop prior to delivering it to you, but will bring the steamer along in case there are any creases etc that need to be steamed out. If you're not using them, I'm sure you can call the shop you're working with here and ask them. 

• Options
    @dignity100 my top isn't a corset so I don't have a choice unless my boobs fall out! I kind of wish I got a corset back dress just for the fact I could be a smidge more comfortable. Oh well, I love my dress either way!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • Options
    @Ollie08 - You're my favorite person right now!!  I was actually thinking of shipping my dress to Carolyn Allen's and having them steam and deliver my dress.  Hearing a review that they're an awesome bridal shop from somebody that's not a complete stranger makes me feel SO much better.  I think Carolyn Allen's is the only shop that is a preferred Disney vendor (at least the only one I've heard of).  I just have to try to find a box big enough and figure how much shipping will be.  I should have asked at the wedding shop if they still had the box the dress was shipped in.

Anniversary
  • Options
    @buddysmom80 - Have you looked at changing the back to a corset?  I know the local places here charge between $75-155 to change the back from a zipper to corset depending on how hard the dress is to change (I think yours would be pretty easy).  A good long line bra is going to cost you at least $50.

Anniversary
  • Options
    @Ollie08 - You're my favorite person right now!!  I was actually thinking of shipping my dress to Carolyn Allen's and having them steam and deliver my dress.  Hearing a review that they're an awesome bridal shop from somebody that's not a complete stranger makes me feel SO much better.  I think Carolyn Allen's is the only shop that is a preferred Disney vendor (at least the only one I've heard of).  I just have to try to find a box big enough and figure how much shipping will be.  I should have asked at the wedding shop if they still had the box the dress was shipped in.
    I'm so glad to hear that! I've actually had 2 bridesmaids dresses from there, and I know the family that owns it personally. They're great people and Sue is a phenomenal seamstress. Seriously amazing. I can't rave about them enough! 

• Options
    TwoDimes said:
    @dignity100 my top isn't a corset so I don't have a choice unless my boobs fall out! I kind of wish I got a corset back dress just for the fact I could be a smidge more comfortable. Oh well, I love my dress either way!
    @buddysmom80, Forgive my ignorance.... how does a corset back help with boob-ular comfort? Is it because you can cinch them in tighter so you don't need a bra for support...? I'm confused!

SITB:

I have no idea, tbh. I have a large chest (D-cup) so either way I would have to wear some sort of bra. The long line vs corset to me, at least the corset can give you some wiggle room in terms of comfort.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • Options
    @Dignity100- you look beautiful!! I love your dress and I am 100% pro hoop for a Disney Wedding!!! There's a great alterations place near my house that I wish I had gone with, if you are still looking. I want to say that they can also package your dress for shipping, as I believe that this is what my cousin did for her DW. PM me if you want more info!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @Buddysmom - I too have a large chest (DD) and I'm just going to do cups (I might do pasties too just because I'm super modest and don't want to have a Janet Jackson moment).  Of course, I'll have alterations have the final say, but with the corset/cups I felt pretty secure.  It's really your decision and I thought I'd just throw it out there for you to think about. 

I was dead set on a corset because I will be at Disney 2 days prior to my wedding and let's face it, they have wonderful food :o) .

@lennonkdc - PM sent!  I still need an alterations place!!

Anniversary
  • Options
    @dignity100 that was another reason I decided against the corset, I could be like "Oh let me eat all the crap before the wedding, I have plenty of room!!!!" I mean, I'm still like that now because my dress is 3 sizes too big, but once it's altered I'll have some more self-control! I was just talking to FI the other day about how Epcot has all the different countries set up and we should go just for that and eat and drink all the things when we go in March.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • Options
    I'm pro-hoop but I'm completely biased. I love twirl skirts plus I mean why not rock the hoop? Both look nice on you and it's your decision. Good luck!
  • Options
    Both look lovely but I prefer without the hoop. I love the flow of the dress without it.
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    @buddysmom80 http://www.easywdw.com/adults/drink-around-the-world-at-epcot-world-showcase-disney-world/ We are going to attempt Drinking around the world the day after our wedding, what better way to start a marriage other than hung over, right? The world showcase is open from 11a-11p that day, so we have 12 hours to visit 11 countries. I think we'll be fine!

Anniversary
  • Options
    @buddysmom80 http://www.easywdw.com/adults/drink-around-the-world-at-epcot-world-showcase-disney-world/ We are going to attempt Drinking around the world the day after our wedding, what better way to start a marriage other than hung over, right? The world showcase is open from 11a-11p that day, so we have 12 hours to visit 11 countries. I think we'll be fine!
    Well I know what I'll be doing when we're in Florida! Thanks for the link, I forgot which countries were at Epcot and was too lazy to google the other day.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    @buddysmom80 - You just reminded me of how I COMPLETELY teared up seeing you in your wedding dress, when I haven't does that for myself yet and I didn't even for @goldenpenguin when she tried on dresses with us. I think it was because I knew that was your dress that you would actually FOR REALS be getting married in and it just brought on the tears :-) Andplusalso you looked so gorgeous in it and I LOOOOOVED the sparkles. I probably even took some sparkles home with me.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards