Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Honeymoon Jar. Tacky?

I've seen a lot of photos on Pinterest of jars or jugs or boxes etc. labeled "Honeymoon Fund" for reception guests to put money into. I think the idea is cute, and super helpful! But... I'm worried some guests might find it tacky. Thoughts?

Re: Honeymoon Jar. Tacky?

• Options
    It's definitely tacky. If your guests want to give you cash, they will. A card box more than suffices for this purpose. You could always make your card box look like these honeymoon fund boxes. This way you'll have the look you like, but none of the tackiness. Two birds, one stone.
  • Options
    Rude and inappropriate.

• Options
    It IS rude and tacky. Keep the jar on your kitchen counter.
  • Options
    Yep, tacky and rude.

• Options
    I think they're great -- for your laundry room when you're cleaning out pants pockets. They have no place at a wedding.
    This.

I've seen those same Pinterest posts, and they started out for saving up for your honeymoon in your own damned home. 

Your vacation is not in any way connected to your guests. Your trip, your money.
  • Options
    I think they're great -- for your laundry room when you're cleaning out pants pockets. They have no place at a wedding.
    Yup.

H and I had a honeymoon jar.  It lived on the floor of our bedroom next to our dresser.  And the only people who contributed to it were H and I.

• Options
    Please don't do this at your wedding.  It's begging your guests for money and it is very rude and offensive.

We have a honeymoon piggy-bank.  She lives on my dresser and when we empty our pockets, our change goes in there.  If you really like the idea and think it's cute, keep the honeymoon jar in your bedroom or laundry room.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    Ideally, your guests should not have to open their wallets or purses during your wedding (no honeymoon jars, no dollar dance, no cash bar, etc.).
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    Super tacky! There is nothing cute about people begging their guests to fund their honeymoon. Asking your guests for money in any form: cash, gift cards, honeymoon or other cash registries is very inappropriate.
  • Options
    Yuck! Yes very tacky!!!

Smart idea coming here first and asking!!!

Anniversary
  • Options
    Not a good idea.
  • Options
    We have a honeymoon jar in our house. Every week, we put some cash in.

That is the way to do a honeymoon jar, not to expect people to fill it up for you.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    Pay for your own honeymoon.  Putting out any kind of jar or expectation that your guests are supposed to finance any part of your honeymoon or their own provisions that you are inviting them to is intensely tacky and not "cute" at all.
  • Options
    Yeah no.
    Our honeymoon jar is the batman piggy bank in the living room.
  • Options
    Gotta echo the others - incredibly tacky.  Not a chance that I'd contribute anything. 

Glad you asked us first. 
  • Options
    FH and I have one. It's sitting on our kitchen table and goes away when company comes. It's an old pickle jar. Now we have pickle (smelling) money! Should have just grabbed an old tupperware come to think of it...
  • Options
    That's asking for money.  Asking for money is horribly rude and tacky.  Please, for the love of god, do not beg for money from your guests.
  • Options
    It's tacky don't do it.
  • Options
    Yes its tacky
  • Options
    MagicInk said:
    I gotta say I'm a little surprised (in a good way) no SS showed up declaring what a fantastic idea this is. It is not. It is a bad idea.
    What are you talking about? It's GREAT! I'm doing it for my wedding, everyone will contribute because they understand my unique special situation and they love me. Oh, also me me me me! Did I mention I'm awesome and special?

;)

SIB

Don't forget that little poem you wrote to go along with the jar makes it okay because it's cute and will make your guests smile!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards