Wedding Woes
Options

Lingering MIL Issues

OK, here's the back story...

2 weeks before our wedding, FI and I decided to have Engagement Pictures done (I know, kind of late in the game, but that's besides the point).  Later that same day, FI was going to his Bachelor Party.

I personally invited my mother and MIL to engagement photos - I thought they'd both appreciate the opportunity to share such an important event with us.  My mother accepted, MIL said she was busy and declined.  Fine - no skin off my back - and we moved on.

Bachelor party time rolls around and afterwards, the guys decide to have a cookout / bonfire at one of the groomsman's houses.  They decide to invite some of the women too (a little unconventional for a bachelor after-party, but it works for us).  I'd also like to add that all invitees knew about the particulars of this after-party well in advance of the actual day.

Bachelor After-Party rolls around and MIL does not show (FIL does).  Because MIL was too busy earlier in the day for engagement photos, FI and I assume that she is busy now too and think nothing of it.  Everyone has a great time!

Fast forward to next day, and MIL confronts me crying, saying how disrespectful I am for not inviting her to the party when other women (FI's cousins, etc.) were.  I politely try to point out that I was not in charge of the invites (that was all FI and groomsmen), but that I did understand why she was upset.  I refrained from saying: "Well, you were too busy earlier in the day, so I thought you were too busy to attend the party" out of respect, and to avoid any further argument / resentment that may develop.  I'd also like to add, later that same day she did apologize, but I felt like it was a half-hearted apology at best.  I've since moved on, although it did aggravate me at the time.

Fast forward: FI and I got married and had a wonderful wedding and honeymoon.  Two weeks after we were back from honeymoon, MIL and FIL came to town for dinner.  They showed up unannounced and asked if we'd like to go to dinner.  We politely accepted - but I had just finished a terribly busy week at work and was a little tired.  I personally would have preferred to stay-in with DH and relax, but since they made the trip, we went out.

To be fair to the situation, I should probably state that I was a little less-conversational that I usually am (as I was tired), but I did contribute to the conversation and was as cordial as I could be.  Turns out, MIL was put-off by my "attitude" and called DH a few days later to complain about me.  She told him how rude I was at dinner, and how she felt like I didn't want them around.  MIL tells DH that I need to fix my attitude. 

Thankfully, DH tells me about this conversation, as I feel like I have the right to know.  I haven't broached the subject with MIL since, but it has been difficult for me to forget.  With both of these events, I feel like I was unjustly accused of being rude, and I'd like to say something to MIL to clear the air.  Do you guys have any advice on whether I should mention how I feel - if not, I feel like the awkwardness could linger on.  What should I do / say?

Re: Lingering MIL Issues

• Options
    Your MIL sounds like a bitch.  She loves drama and will do this to you as long as you let her.

Instead of telling you about that phone call, your DH should have told his mom to get bent and quit taking everything so personally.

I've got a MIL like this and we do not put up with it.  We do not let her treat us like that.  It took a while to get through to her that we won't tolerate the behavior, but she now knows that we won't buy in to the crazy and focuses on the other siblings now (because they let her).
  • Options
    Think about it this way - you were exhausted and not being your normal self. Instead of being concerned and asking if you were ok, she made it all about her and wanted your dh to feel sorry for her.

I would love to hear what your dh said to her on that phone call.
  • Options
    DH has stuck up for me both times.  The first time, he gave it right back to her and said that HE was responsible for the invites, and that he made it abundantly clear that both she and FIL were invited.  I truly believe this is why she backed down and apologized.  The second time, he told her how it was - that I was tired and had a long week at work (as we were just getting back from vacation...) and that in the future they should not show up unannounced to prevent any further "misunderstandings".  I give him credit - although he's quiet, he does stick up for me!
  • Options
    your dh handled it. say nothing more to mil.
  • Options
    DH has stuck up for me both times.  The first time, he gave it right back to her and said that HE was responsible for the invites, and that he made it abundantly clear that both she and FIL were invited.  I truly believe this is why she backed down and apologized.  The second time, he told her how it was - that I was tired and had a long week at work (as we were just getting back from vacation...) and that in the future they should not show up unannounced to prevent any further "misunderstandings".  I give him credit - although he's quiet, he does stick up for me!
    this happened with my FMIL recently. She got all bent out of shape and took something I posted on FB wayyyy out of context and went on this rant about how I have no respect for his feelings blah blah blah. FI was like first, I knew where she was and what she was doing and second you are WAYY out of line. 
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards