Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

What would you side eye on a Registry

Re: What would you side eye on a Registry

• Options
    Weirdest thing I've ever seen on a registry: sex toys. Yes, I know they fit the category "for the couple's use," but really?
    Maybe they already had all the dishes and towels they needed? LOL

Anyway, I don't have much experience with showers or registries, but I too would side eye anything that wasn't really for the couple. If the couple already had kids, I wouldn't think it was that strange if they registered for things the whole family was going to use, but I'd find it odd if they used a registry to get stuff that was just for their kids.
  • Options

I wouldn't side eye much of anything on a registry (except cash).  I agree that a good registry is balanced, as in multiple items at multiple price points, but other than that I don't really care.

I do like looking at registries and getting a feel for a couples tastes...sometimes they want nice things...and sometimes you wonder what are they thinking!!!  But overall unless you are asking me for cash I don't care what you register for!

• Options
    levioosalevioosa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2014
    I side eyed my friend's registry.  She had the most uneven random number of things on it.  Like, 3 plates from one collection, two from another, five glasses of one type, but then three more of another type.  It made zero sense.  And then at the end up it they had registered for like 20 mini bags of chocolate pretzels. ETA: Everything was also super poor quality, and I had really wanted to buy her something nice.

• Options
    I side eyed my friend's registry.  She had the most uneven random number of things on it.  Like, 3 plates from one collection, two from another, five glasses of one type, but then three more of another type.  It made zero sense.  And then at the end up it they had registered for like 20 mini bags of chocolate pretzels. ETA: Everything was also super poor quality, and I had really wanted to buy her something nice.

This is how my cousin was. Therefore, 88 place settings and something like 60 towels.
  • Options
         I don't side-eye anything really. If I don't agree with a couples choice I don't buy it. A registry is just a suggestion not a command. 
  • Options
    I'm with @lyndausvi - I take it on a case by case basis. 

However, I've seen a lot of Amazon registries with SUPER random stuff on them. Like upholstery cleaner, dog food, cases of La Croix, children's toys, outfits for their dog, WD-40, laundry detergent.... yea. That stuff, I side-eye for sure. It's like, do your own grocery shopping FFS. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    I was staying with my cousins at their house over their wedding weekend.  They opened some of the gifts in front of me.  I mentioned about my judgy-pants regarding registries and how I was impressed that they didn't register for a gravy boat because I laugh at those things.  We joked about how I'm now going to have a 'Wall Of Gravy Boats' in my house.  I'm pretty sure they've remembered and will be buying me several gravy boats for my wedding.  Because we like mockery in my family.
  • Options
    We had a scale on ours. Apparently, whoops.

Me too.
  • Options
    adk19 said:
    I was staying with my cousins at their house over their wedding weekend.  They opened some of the gifts in front of me.  I mentioned about my judgy-pants regarding registries and how I was impressed that they didn't register for a gravy boat because I laugh at those things.  We joked about how I'm now going to have a 'Wall Of Gravy Boats' in my house.  I'm pretty sure they've remembered and will be buying me several gravy boats for my wedding.  Because we like mockery in my family.

If you post your address I'm sure some of us could help that collection along!!!

J/K please don't post actually post your address

• Options
    I try not to side-eye anything on a registry because no one is ever required to purchase something from it. Gifts are always optional.

With that said, I totally judged my cousin for registering for a 30 rack of Miller Light. Really, dude?

On the other end of the spectrum was the friend who only registered at Tiffany's.
  • Options
    jerkyanne said:
    I also more side eye based on a case by case basis. Like my friend from high school registered for 125 a place setting china along with accessories that were 175 min. They do not have a lifestyle to need or use it. She barely cooks. Knowing the person I am pretty sure she is registering for things to return.
    I hadn't thought of that, but yes I would be hurt if I spend time picking out a registry gift and thinking about how the couple will use it only to have the item be slated for return the whole time.
  • Options
    adk19 said:

SITB:

Gravy boats are a normal item, though. am I missing sometthing? Gravy boats are used alot in my house and families house, esp at holidays

• Options
    Wegl13 said:
    I think it's interesting that on the last three pages of replies, there are people that side-eye cheap items ($5-10) and expensive items ($300+) and also not having items in a range of price points (presumably from $10-$300). Guess you can't win, huh? :-)

I don't side-eye much but I do make fun of people that register for expensive, single-use items that I know are going to collect dust on a shelf in your kitchen. Margarita machines. Hot dog makers. Popcorn maker. Etc.

Although I did register for an ice cream Kitchen Aid attachment, a Whirly-Pop, and an electric knife.... Actually now that I am looking at our registry there are a LOT of weird random things on there... And every single one of them was a FI pick.

Well I've learned a lesson! Ladies, don't side-eye the random crap. Our FH picked it out.

I sort of had the same thought in the past few months reading about registries on The Knot. To cheap or expensive is side-eyed, upgrades are side eyed if you have usable stuff already, never mind it's cheap stuff from college. Baking items can be side eyed (someone mentioned side-eyeing cake pop pans). Twin sheets get side-eyed. I think queen or larger and towels are the only things I haven't seen anyone mention they side eye. 

I don't think you can win with a registry, someone is not going to like it. We have had the moms put around word of mouth that we don't want gifts, we are having a small destination wedding and it's already asking a lot for people to join us. That said I did a small registry at Macy's for the star rewards and the completion discount, but I fully expect I will buy everything off of it later. I'm not telling anyone about it and they can find it on their own if they really feel they want to gift us.
  • Options
    adk19 said:

SITB:

Gravy boats are a normal item, though. am I missing sometthing? Gravy boats are used alot in my house and families house, esp at holidays

I agree. I'm not sure why a gravy boat would be side-eyed. We use them for gravy, pasta sauce, dressings, etc. It's also not something I would normally buy myself, hence why I registered for one. It matches my casual china set. Am I missing something?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Cheap stuff. I want to buy you something that will last for 30 years and feel really special, not a six pack of Corelle and a fuzzy toilet seat cover and Ikea glasses.
    I also strongly disagree about the Corelle as that can indeed last forever, but in general I agree.  This was my standard for whether or not to register for something - 95% of the stuff we registered for could outlive us by a long, long time.

I dislike it (but don't judge) when people register for cheap plastic stuff and consumables (think Sodastream refills and K-Cups).  

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

This is how my cousin was. Therefore, 88 place settings and something like 60 towels.
    I'm still scratching my head at 88 place settings...

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    adk19 said:

SITB:

I agree. I'm not sure why a gravy boat would be side-eyed. We use them for gravy, pasta sauce, dressings, etc. It's also not something I would normally buy myself, hence why I registered for one. It matches my casual china set. Am I missing something?
    I don't get this one either.  I own two and use them regularly when entertaining.

Maybe the gravy boat haters don't use gravy?  Because, if you do use gravy, you'd know there's really only one good way to set it out on the table... in a gravy boat.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Wegl13 said:
    I think it's interesting that on the last three pages of replies, there are people that side-eye cheap items ($5-10) and expensive items ($300+) and also not having items in a range of price points (presumably from $10-$300). Guess you can't win, huh? :-)

I don't side-eye much but I do make fun of people that register for expensive, single-use items that I know are going to collect dust on a shelf in your kitchen. Margarita machines. Hot dog makers. Popcorn maker. Etc.

Although I did register for an ice cream Kitchen Aid attachment, a Whirly-Pop, and an electric knife.... Actually now that I am looking at our registry there are a LOT of weird random things on there... And every single one of them was a FI pick.

Well I've learned a lesson! Ladies, don't side-eye the random crap. Our FH picked it out.

I feel like this is a case-by-case thing.  I'm sure there were some people who rolled their eyes at the ice cream maker on our registry, thinking it was one of those frivolous one-time-use gifts.  Oh well, I've already used that thing three times since the wedding and basically plan on never buying ice cream from the store again :)  But, I also love to cook and bake, so I could be an outlier.  A margarita machine and popcorn maker sound pretty awesome to me too.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

I'm still scratching my head at 88 place settings...

Me too. I even asked about it in case they registered for a lot and were planning on going home, researching, etc, KWIM? She said, no whatever, we like all of them.
  • Options
    adk19 said:

SITB:

I love a good gravy boat! Our family uses them at holiday occasions especially.
  • Options
    Wegl13 said:

Well I've learned a lesson! Ladies, don't side-eye the random crap. Our FH picked it out. I

I use my popcorn maker all the time. Trust me, it's not collecting dust. Neither would a margarita maker. I could see that being used weekly in our house. Just because you don't use those items doesn't mean everyone doesn't.
  • Options
    adk19 said:

SITB:

Nothing at all wrong with a gravy boat.  I'll just never buy one for you off your registry.  It's not even something I really side-eye or judge on a registry, especially when it goes with the rest of the set.  I just personally don't understand them, and therefore choose to buy something else.  I think, for me, a gravy boat symbolizes unnecessary items on a registry because the couple went a little crazy with the registry gun.  For example, my young cousin getting married, moving across the country to a "too small to host holidays" apartment NEEDS sheets and towels and plates and glasses and a coffee maker and blender and toaster and vacuum and over a hundred other things does NOT need a gravy boat.  She neither has room nor need of one.  So when she registers for one that isn't part of a fancy china set, I laugh under my breath and move along.
  • Options

I knew someone who registered for a large screen tv, like 90" or something, that was several thousand dollars and I kind of side-eyed it.  And their families weren't the high income types that could ever afford something like that.

I also knew someone who registered for EVERYTHING they would need for their "new home"... even down to toilet brushes.  Keep in mind, both her and FI were mid 30's and already were living on their own, so I would assume they already had things like that... or maybe neither of them ever cleaned their toilets?  And really, who is going to buy someone a toilet brush as a wedding present?  I'd side-eye the person buying that more than the person who put it on the registry.

• Options
    adk19 said:
    adk19 said:

SITB:

Nothing at all wrong with a gravy boat.  I'll just never buy one for you off your registry.  It's not even something I really side-eye or judge on a registry, especially when it goes with the rest of the set.  I just personally don't understand them, and therefore choose to buy something else.  I think, for me, a gravy boat symbolizes unnecessary items on a registry because the couple went a little crazy with the registry gun.  For example, my young cousin getting married, moving across the country to a "too small to host holidays" apartment NEEDS sheets and towels and plates and glasses and a coffee maker and blender and toaster and vacuum and over a hundred other things does NOT need a gravy boat.  She neither has room nor need of one.  So when she registers for one that isn't part of a fancy china set, I laugh under my breath and move along.
    I think you're kind of weird on this one.
    I completely agree.  I also don't believe in umbrellas.
  • Options
    There has been more than one occasion that I wish I had a gravy boat.
  • Options
    rsbloom said:
    Echoing PPs, I'd mostly side-eye things not for the couple, but there are other things, like disposable items, and things under $5-10 that I would side-eye as well. 

I had a friend register for a plunger and bathroom cleaning supplies....why????? who is going to buy you Scrubbing Bubbles??

Same couple also registered for a new dog collar and leash and dog toys  smh

I actually almost always make up a huge basket of cleaning supplies for shower gifts, especially for young brides who are still living with their parents or in college dorm situations (lots of people in my circle get married really young).  I just remember that when I moved out on my own, one of the things I hated buying the most were the cleaning supplies I needed to make the home livable.  Plus, it's easy to personalize them to the couple--my sister is really eco-conscious, so I bought her lots of nice eco-friendly products and an indoor clothesline and a bunch of other stuff.

I side-eye registries that seem to have nothing to do with the couple, if that makes sense.  In our circle, probably $50-$100 is typical for a gift, so a registry without anything in that price range raises my eyebrows.  One of the things that I do love to see on a registry, though, is something really personalized:  both of my sisters had a friend of theirs who does ceramics design a set of china that represented them as a couple.  It was the most-purchased thing on both of their registries.
  • Options
    adk19 said:
    adk19 said:

SITB:

I'll push back a bit on this.  She might not immediately need a gravy boat, but registries in my opinion are a great way to stock up on items that may be necessary in the future, but may feel indulgent at the time.  Obviously we are registering for all the things we actually need, but we had enough room to go beyond that for more specialty items that correlate to "foodie" hobbies of ours (nice whiskey and beer glasses for me, specialty bakeware for my fiancee, cheese boards and ice bucket for entertaining, etc).  Especially for anything that specifically matches your formal table settings (she might not entertain with a gravy boat and cake platter or whatever now, but if this is when she's getting her formal place settings, she might anticipate the things she'll want to match in the future and get them now in case they are discontinued).  In the future, it may feel indulgent to obtain these items, and the budget may not work.  So I see no reason not to register for a couple more whimsical/niche/specialty items...it will make all the sense in the world to replace towels in the future, but maybe not an ice bucket or high-end mixology tools.  Put them on the registry and see what happens.  You've said you wouldn't get a gravy boat, and that's totally fine.  But maybe somebody else has a strong memory of gravy/sauces being a part of their childhood, and wants to gift that.  Or they are feeling whimsical and want something that stands out more than another place setting.  It's totally fine.
  • Options
    This is cracking me up. I usually say to each their own. Sometimes I wouldn't want it, but if you do- so be it. I like to have a mix of high and low end stuff. My MIL was just DYING to buy us an expensive vase, so I added one to the registry just for her. Would I buy a $200 vase? Absolutely not, but it was oddly important to her.

I did side-eye the SHIT out of a registry for a wedding I attended in August. It was an explosion of etiquette messes so I think I was extra pissy about it anyway. But this is a couple in their late 20s, he is unemployed (by choice, I might add- he quit a full time job with benefits because he "wasn't getting the respect he deserved". Meanwhile, he has a high school diploma and nothing else but has sky-high aspirations and expects people to bow down to them). They live in his parent's basement with no plans to move out.

Their registry had, and I am not joking, at least 500 items on it. From $3 DVDs to Soda Stream refills and K-cups. To make matters worse, they had probably 500 different glasses- sets of 20 shot glasses, specialty cocktail glasses, desert servers, etc- WHO are you serving this crap to in your basement?!

They also had a $300 toaster oven and a very odd variety of decorative items- columns, large scale wall art, etc. Again, where is this going in the basement?!

I was pissed because it was cash bar, we had to pay for parking, there was a gap, I was roped into decorating AND cleaning up. They also chose to have it in Knoxville on move-in weekend for the freshman class of 6,000 people so airfare was sky high.

I side-eyed their ENTIRE wedding AND their registry.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards