Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Outside Wedding in November?? *Lurkers Take Note*

l9il9i member
First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
edited November 2014 in Wedding Etiquette Forum

My parents just attended a wedding this past weekend and they were filling me in when I asked how it was.  My mom was a little upset because she spent a lot of time shopping for a dress to wear (a big deal because she doesn't wear dresses) and no one saw it.  I asked why and she informed me the entire wedding, ceremony and reception, was outside.  Yes, outside, in November, in southern Ohio.  So during the evening reception, outside, it was close to 40 degrees. 

Other feedback she gave: the BMs looked visably miserable from the cold in their strapless dresses, the ceremony was beautiful, the food was good but cold because they couldn't keep it hot enough due to being outside, and most of the guests left early because of the cold.

I just wanted to put this out there.  Wanting an outdoor wedding is all well and great but why on Earth would you plan it for November in the midwest knowing it very well could have been even colder during this time of year????

*Edited for grammar*

Re: Outside Wedding in November?? *Lurkers Take Note*

• Options

OMG I'm cold just thinking about that.  WHY would the bride and groom even want to do that?  I would hate being freezing in a wedding gown - my skin tends to get pink when I'm cold, so I would look horrible!

That's so rude and such a bad idea!

• Options
    Yeah that seems like a poor decision. A friend of a friend just had her wedding last weekend, outside, at a park, in Northern Indiana! No tent, no back-up plan in case of rain. I felt bad for the bride but I felt worse for the guests. It was freezing up there last weekend. I think the low for that day was around 21 degrees, and it snowed the day before. 

Don't put your vision ahead of everyone's comfort and safety, lurkers! If you want an outdoor wedding, plan for the right time of year, or have a heated tent at the very least. Yikes. 
  • Options
    Because leaves and fall and pictures!!

But yeah, I think that couple took some crazy pills because that is fucking nuts.

• Options
    Correct!  They knew the ceremony was outside but not the reception too.  I couldve sucked up a 30 minute ceremony outside but not the WHOLE evening!
  • Options
    But they must have gotten such a great deal!

So rude. Unfortunately, given how many people I've seen on here asking for advice on their outdoor Midwest November/April weddings, I'm not surprised. 

I hope your mom comes up with some super awesome NYE plans to rock that dress!

• Options
    Ugh. I will never understand why people think this is OK. Your "vision" should never be more important to you than your guests not freezing half to death. 
  • Options
    But they must have gotten such a great deal!

So rude. Unfortunately, given how many people I've seen on here asking for advice on their outdoor Midwest November/April weddings, I'm not surprised. 

I hope your mom comes up with some super awesome NYE plans to rock that dress!
    So funny!  She did say "Well, at least I can wear it on our cruise this Christmas"
  • Options
    That's incredibly rude! 

I read on another site that a couple was planning to have their wedding in the rain on purpose. They jumped all over me when I said that as a guest, I wouldn't enjoy that, or would at least appreciate a warning beforehand. IIRC, they also weren't providing chairs for everyone. They expect their guests to stand in the cold rain....
  • Options
    That's incredibly rude! 

I read on another site that a couple was planning to have their wedding in the rain on purpose. They jumped all over me when I said that as a guest, I wouldn't enjoy that, or would at least appreciate a warning beforehand. IIRC, they also weren't providing chairs for everyone. They expect their guests to stand in the cold rain....

1. Is that even possible to plan??

2. I'm sure they'd also be surprised and raged when people didn't show up....

• Options
    That's incredibly rude! 

How would one plan this?  I mean, are they psychics that know when rain is coming months before hand?  Or will they set up sprinklers so that even if the weather is gorgeous then they would still have their "rain?"

But no, that would suck and I would probably no longer talk to that couple if I stood in the rain for their wedding.  If I knew about their plan before hand I would decline that invite super fast

• Options
    They live in an area where rain is predictable.

I used to live in south Florida, and I knew that it was going to rain every single afternoon during the warmer months without fail. You could set your watch by it.
  • Options
    I feel like I attended the same wedding like a month ago! It was an outdoor backyard (well really in a field) wedding on October 4th (in Columbus OH)... Ohio weather is obviously all over the place, (could be 80 or snowing) and they didn't plan for tents or any other cover. 

Turned out that it was like 40 degrees as a high temp and super windy.  We even had some sleet earlier in the day, when I had so nicely... and stupidly... agreed to help set up that morning... That was a disaster.. flowers getting knocked over by the wind, water soaking the linens, linens flying up, etc etc.  The BM's were visibly shivering during the ceremony (which was set back in a cleared area in the woods).  They added jean jackets, leggings and boots after but it was still so cold.  Same deal, food (which was self catered) got cold super quick.  

They did have about 5 huge bonfires set up, but a lot of people left after the ceremony, and we went to sit in our car and warm up during cocktail hour. Didn't make it much past dinner and cake, that was definitely the earliest I've ever left a wedding!
  • Options
    I'm going to an all-outdoor wedding next week and am wondering the same thing. I bought a fall dress, but I still think I will need to have my coat on or at least a jacket.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    I recently attended a wedding where the ceremony was in a church and the reception was inside/outside. Mind you, I live in a warm climate but it's getting cold here. Long story short, not enough seats inside for everyone - probably less than half - and the rest of us were outside standing under a tent in the wind and rain. At one point it was pissing down rain and we were all still under the tent because there was no space inside. I was livid!
  • Options
    AlisonM23 said:
    I feel like I attended the same wedding like a month ago! It was an outdoor backyard (well really in a field) wedding on October 4th (in Columbus OH)... Ohio weather is obviously all over the place, (could be 80 or snowing) and they didn't plan for tents or any other cover. 

Turned out that it was like 40 degrees as a high temp and super windy.  We even had some sleet earlier in the day, when I had so nicely... and stupidly... agreed to help set up that morning... That was a disaster.. flowers getting knocked over by the wind, water soaking the linens, linens flying up, etc etc.  The BM's were visibly shivering during the ceremony (which was set back in a cleared area in the woods).  They added jean jackets, leggings and boots after but it was still so cold.  Same deal, food (which was self catered) got cold super quick.  

They did have about 5 huge bonfires set up, but a lot of people left after the ceremony, and we went to sit in our car and warm up during cocktail hour. Didn't make it much past dinner and cake, that was definitely the earliest I've ever left a wedding!

Oh the joys of Ohio weather.  Yes, the weather could have been a lot better and warmer with it hardly being November but then again it could have been snowing too...
  • Options
    I stood in a early November wedding a few years ago in eastern Canada. Only the ceremony was outside with the inside reception venue as a backup in case the weather didn't cooperate. The bride had beautiful wraps made for us (that were actually warm) to wear as well. They ended up with an unseasonably warm afternoon and we didn't need them. I would be a little pissed at going to an outside wedding with bad/cold weather and no back up.
  • Options

Oh Ohio weather. Those months on the cusp of winter, like October/November and March/April can be SO unpredictable. There were flurries and sleet over the weekend and today I don't even really need a coat. Anyone planning an outdoor wedding in this time of year is taking a HUGE risk and by taking that you're risk you're being kinda rude to your guests because you could potentially make them stand outside freezing.

• Options
    MobKaz said:
    Clearly, none of you really loved the couple whose wedding you attended, because if you did, none of those factors would be an issue.

I can't tell if this is sarcastic or not.  I didn't attend (I had another commitment) and I'm glad I didn't spend the money to travel, etc and be miserable.  Does that mean I don't love them and wish them the best?  Absolutely not.  Yes, you can be incredibly happy for them and still have a horrible time due to their hosting decisions. 
  • Options
    l9i said:
    MobKaz said:
    Clearly, none of you really loved the couple whose wedding you attended, because if you did, none of those factors would be an issue.

I can't tell if this is sarcastic or not.  I didn't attend (I had another commitment) and I'm glad I didn't spend the money to travel, etc and be miserable.  Does that mean I don't love them and wish them the best?  Absolutely not.  Yes, you can be incredibly happy for them and still have a horrible time due to their hosting decisions. 
    Knowing MobKaz, rest assured that was sarcasm. :)
    Right on lol
  • Options
    How terrible! I was in a wedding in October where everything was indoors but man, the outdoor photos were so cold!! And we were in short dresses and strapless. The worst ever.

My wedding is May 1 in Iowa and hopefully outdoors. But in 2012 it snowed 4" on May 1 so I'll definitely be making alternate plans.

Think of your guests comfort first, your vision second. There is no way that it was ever going to be warm enough in November for her wedding to be outside.

• Options
    redoryx said:

Oh Ohio weather. Those months on the cusp of winter, like October/November and March/April can be SO unpredictable. There were flurries and sleet over the weekend and today I don't even really need a coat. Anyone planning an outdoor wedding in this time of year is taking a HUGE risk and by taking that you're risk you're being kinda rude to your guests because you could potentially make them stand outside freezing.

Aw hell yeah. It's 64 degrees today with the possibility of snow on Sunday. Weeeee!! 
  • Options
    esstee33 said:
    redoryx said:

Aw hell yeah. It's 64 degrees today with the possibility of snow on Sunday. Weeeee!! 
    We hit 73 a week ago in southeastern MI and it snowed on Halloween! 58 now and I'm wondering if my tulips will come up again.

• Options
    esstee33 said:
    redoryx said:

We hit 73 a week ago in southeastern MI and it snowed on Halloween! 58 now and I'm wondering if my tulips will come up again.
    I'm just excited that I haven't had to turn my heat on yet. I guess this weekend will probably be it. :( 

But also, I'm ready for snow. 
  • Options
    esstee33 said:
    esstee33 said:
    redoryx said:

I'm just excited that I haven't had to turn my heat on yet. I guess this weekend will probably be it. :( 

But also, I'm ready for snow. 
    I bought a new coat and snow boots this year, so we probably won't get any more awful weather now that I'm prepared. :-p

• Options
    I just bought a new winter coat yesterday (what up, Macy's 50% sale!) and the mall was playing Christmas music. I didn't hate it. 
    Ok. I freaking loved it. 

Anyway, the weather is all over the place in NY this time of year too. It's in the high 60s right now, and then we have lows of 30s by the end of the week. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards