Wedding Party
Options

bridesmaids' hairstyle

what to do?!  I want my girls to wear their hair in an updo (low loose bun) and I will have my hair down.  all girls are on board except 1 and she is my best friend (not the MOH though).   i don't want her to feel uncomfortable... what should i do?  majority rules? 

Re: bridesmaids' hairstyle

• Options
    GILANDLU said:
    what to do?!  I want my girls to wear their hair in an updo (low loose bun) and I will have my hair down.  all girls are on board except 1 and she is my best friend (not the MOH though).   i don't want her to feel uncomfortable... what should i do?  majority rules? 
    Someone's hair can be a very personal thing.  Wouldn't you rather have your BFF be comfortable for the day rather than forcing her to be uncomfortable in a forced hairstyle?  Also, if you are dictating how your BM should be doing their hair, it is considered a part of your "uniform" for the day and you should be paying for it.
  • Options
    @gilandlu I hope you are footing the bill for the updos. Otheriwse you dont get a say in their hairstyles.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Have you asked her how she would like to wear her hair instead of what you are looking for or why she doesn't like the specific style you picked? If the reason is that maybe her hair isn't long enough for the style or if her hair is on the thin side and it won't stay in that style, those to me are legitmate reasons for doing an different style. I would rather have my girls have different styles that work with their hair & will hold then have them all with the same style but then half of them look bad half way through the day because their hair isn't right for that style.

Personally I let my girls determine their own hairstyles. They all ended up picking out the same dress so I figured their shoes & hair were an easy to let their different personalities show and to be a little different from each other. They were happy and my theory was if the bridal party is happy and comfortable, that happiness will come through in my photos and to my guests. Seriously have you really looked at some of the photos from weddings, you can tell when the Bridal Party is miserable.

• Options
    mikenbergermikenberger member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2014
    What does it matter what her hair looks like? Unless you're paying for it, you have no say. And your vision of your bridal party or the bridesmaids doesn't matter. Sorry, that's how it goes.

• Options
    Honestly, I've never heard of a bride making specific requests for her bridesmaids' hair. Usually it goes: "wear your hair anyway you want it." There's a pretty good chance that it's not just this one BM who doesn't like this hairstyle, and they're all probably just being nice to please you. 

Unless you're paying for their hair, just let them do whatever they want.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    Your friends are grown ups.  they can choose their own hairstyles.

• Options
    The hairstylist then proceeded to yell at me and told me the next time I was in a wedding that I should grow my hair out.  So not only was I embarrassed because I had to have my hair redone, I was also belittled by a hair dresser and was really mad at my friend for putting me in that situation.

At that point, I would have told my friend where she could shove her updo.
  • Options
    The hairstylist then proceeded to yell at me and told me the next time I was in a wedding that I should grow my hair out.  So not only was I embarrassed because I had to have my hair redone, I was also belittled by a hair dresser and was really mad at my friend for putting me in that situation.

Trust me I wanted to, but I was trying to keep myself from crying.

• Options

Trust me I wanted to, but I was trying to keep myself from crying.

At the risk of showing my southern... bless your heart!  I would have been seeing red. You're a much better person than I would have been.
  • Options
    Don't listen to these meanies. CALL THE POLICE!!! she's going to RUIN your super special day!!

For real though, this should be the last thing you're even thinking about. She's supposed to be one of your best friends. In the big scheme of you marrying the love of your life, who cares if her hair is in a bun, down to her ass or shaved off her head? If you do, you aren't doing it right.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Double post
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    I will never understand dictating the BM's hairstyle.  

My advice is stop micromanaging and let them pick their own hair style.    

I had to look at my WP picture to see what my BM's did with their own hair.  1 had it completely down.  3 had them half up/half down.  5 had them up.     I wore mine half up/half down.

Trust me, there are more important things to worry about then the BM's hair.  I would go back to the others and say you changed your mind and they can wear their hair however  they want.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Man, you don't have enough things to worry about if THIS is the battle you're choosing.
    Anniversary

• Options
    Yeah, other than the obvious points of it being weird, inappropriate and unnecessary to dictate how adults wear their hair just because you're getting married, you logistically can't ask this unless you pay for it. This goes for nails and makeup too.

Formerly martha1818

• Options
    lc07 said:
    I don't care if you're paying for my hair or not. It is NOT okay to tell me how to do my hair other than politely asking that I do not copy the bride's hair style exactly. 
    This this this.
  • Options
    I personally think it's ridiculous to dictate hairdos to your bridal party. No one will be looking at their hair. Let them wear it however they'd like. 

Can you remember all of the bridesmaids hairdos from the last 2 weddings you attended? 

I barely remember what my MOH's hair looked like, and I got married two months ago. 
  • Options
    I personally think it's ridiculous to dictate hairdos to your bridal party. No one will be looking at their hair. Let them wear it however they'd like. 

Can you remember all of the bridesmaids hairdos from the last 2 weddings you attended? 

I barely remember what my MOH's hair looked like, and I got married two months ago. 
    This. The last time I was a bridesmaid, I honestly don't remember how I did MY OWN hair, but I very vividly remember the bride's hair. 
  • Options
    I don't think it's a big deal to request a certain up-do if you are footing the bill, I mean there are always exceptions and what happened to Maggie was not cool. And if something wont work then just let it go. 

But as an example: I was in a wedding with 8 BMs and one had very short hair. The bride was paying for all of us to have the same (beautiful) up-do so I was excited. The hairdresser that did our hair was VERY talented and was able to work with the BM with short hair and her-up do looked just like the rest of ours! Very impressive!

As far as OP's question of the 1 girl. I don't get why someone would make a big deal out of a low loose bun (that she wasn't paying for right?) but at the end of the day you want your girls comfortable and you may need to let her do her hair how she wants. Is there maybe a compromise you can come up with?

Anniversary
  • Options
    I'll just say I would HATE to have a loose bun because it would fall out during dancing.  I also hate having all of my hair pulled back because then in pictures you just look like all "face" with nothing to balance out your head.  

• Options
    I was just thinking back to the last wedding a went to (one month ago) and I cant even remember if the bride wore her hair up or down. And I have no idea about the BMs. This is a really insignificant detail.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My sister (MOH) was the only person in my bridal party (including myself) who didn't have an updo.  I didn't even notice, or more importantly....care.  
  • Options
    I'll just say I would HATE to have a loose bun because it would fall out during dancing.  I also hate having all of my hair pulled back because then in pictures you just look like all "face" with nothing to balance out your head.  
    I agree, not everypone has the facial structure to pull that look off.  A good stylist would never do this though.  They would make sure the updo was balanced based on the facial features of the client, and would make sure there was something in the fringe area or in the volume of the sides/top of the updo that flattered the face.

OP, just let your BM's style their hair however they want.

I got married last month and had 10BMS and I let them pick their own dresses, hair styles, and accessories. . . and every single one looked amazing.  That was one of my favorite aspects of the wedding day, everyone's looks.  It was a fun surprise each time a new BM showed up at the bridal suite.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    adk19 said:
    Because my cousin (sister of the groom) is crazy and made us all forced appointments to get our hair and makeup done at our own expense, I actually went out and got a "boy-short" haircut two weeks before the wedding so I wouldn't have to get my hair done.  I REALLY didn't want to get my hair done.  I then refused to pay for the makeup that was forced on me and told my crazy cousin that it was her birthday gift to me (my birthday was 4 days after the wedding.)

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards