Chit Chat
Options

Freaking Beachbody!

I know this has been re-hashed to death on Chit Chat, but if I get hit up AGAIN for Beachbody on Facebook, I am going to lose it. As if seeing sweaty workout selfies every 10 minutes on Facebook, followed by photos of literally every single thing you ate that day wasn't enough, now I am getting PMs asking me to join.

I do not want to join your challenge group. I do not care about your Shakeology and I do not care to see your food tally for the day. I also do not want you reaching out to me directly to ask me to join your workout challenge group.

Anyone who is on Facebook for one minute knows a Beachbody coach and can join their damn challenge group any day they want.

Sorry, I'm feeling testy today.

Re: Freaking Beachbody!

• Options
    People are so annoying. Can't they just DO a thing without constantly evangelizing about it?

Also: the only people I have seen hawking it are uh...well, let's just say I don't see it working. 
    To be fair, this girl looks fabulous. But the other problem I have with it is that they are all guilty of a little mommy-shaming.

Most of the people I know who have used it are doing it post-partum. They are losing weight so fast and don't seem to be getting proper nutrition for breast feeding. I am not a doctor, so I am saying this PURELY as opinion, but there is a lot of "I have time for this, what is your excuse?!"

Maybe you have a 1 month old at home and don't feel like you need to lose the baby weight in 2 weeks? No sense in shaming people!
  • Options
    I actually don't know anyone hawking beachbody. But most of my friends count walking from a far parking spot as working out, and ordering a diet rum and coke the same thing as healthy eating. So...not really a group of "hey lets crazy work out" people to begin with. 
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    sarahufl said: KatieinBkln said: People are so annoying. Can't they just DO a thing without constantly evangelizing about it?
    Also: the only people I have seen hawking it are uh...well, let's just say I don't see it working.  To be fair, this girl looks fabulous. But the other problem I have with it is that they are all guilty of a little mommy-shaming.

Most of the people I know who have used it are doing it post-partum. They are losing weight so fast and don't seem to be getting proper nutrition for breast feeding. I am not a doctor, so I am saying this PURELY as opinion, but there is a lot of "I have time for this, what is your excuse?!"

Maybe you have a 1 month old at home and don't feel like you need to lose the baby weight in 2 weeks? No sense in shaming people!
    -------------------------------- Potentially controversial opinion here. As someone who has always enjoyed working out and running, I get
    really irritated that many women only get into this stuff after having a baby. Nevermind the insane drinking, late night eating, and laziness in college (meaning collecting lots of calories and gaining weight, not shaming the fun involved). Nevermind being a couch potato right through getting married.  All of a sudden after having a baby, it's "Oh my god fitness is so amazing! Oh my god, healthy eating! You guys have to try this new fad diet/shake/class! It's so amazing!"  

Why didn't you figure this out years ago? Maybe with a healthier lifestyle all along you wouldn't have to resort to insane tactics to rid the baby weight.  < end rant >  The only honest thing I can think of is maybe they had a reality check that their state of being was negatively impacting their ability to be a mom (chasing after a toddler) or their ability to be around and see their kid grow up (weight-induced disease leading to shorter life span). 

Edit- boxes?? 

• Options
    edited November 2014
    I don't think this is the same thing as Beachbody, but last summer I did this program (that I THOUGHT was being supervised by a doctor, but that's an entirely different story) and it basically consisted of meal-replacement with shakes. I was only supposed to eat a very minimal amount of fat, and NO carbs or sugar, so that my body would go into 'ketosis?' and work on my excess fat. First of all, the drinks were awful. It got to the point where I couldn't even keep them down. By the 4th day of this, I felt like I had the flu. All I did was sleep and I literally hurt. In hindsight, this might have been my body going through withdrawals from sugar/carbs, who knows. Anyway, I quit after the 4th day and ate a REAL meal, and felt better almost instantly. Lesson learned: I cannot take an entire food group out of my diet.

ETA: By real meal I mean meat and veggies
    Anniversary

• Options
    IMO, if one doesn't want to be bombarded with adds and people pushing their stuff then one needs to get off social media, stop watching TV, and turn off their radios.  Maybe even go as far as living off the grid.  Stuff will always be pushed and advertised to death, so either learn to ignore it and scroll past it or remove yourself from technology all together.

Don't mean this to be snarky but I think complaining about something that will never go away is just silly and pointless.

• Options
    IMO, if one doesn't want to be bombarded with adds and people pushing their stuff then one needs to get off social media, stop watching TV, and turn off their radios.  Maybe even go as far as living off the grid.  Stuff will always be pushed and advertised to death, so either learn to ignore it and scroll past it or remove yourself from technology all together.

Don't mean this to be snarky but I think complaining about something that will never go away is just silly and pointless.
    I understand your point but disagree. It's one thing to ignore the popup facebook ads. It's dishearting to see a PM from a FRIEND and expect a real conversation to realize it's just garbage about them getting a commission off of you.
    So you write them back and tell them that you are not interested and to no longer send you that stuff.  Again, not something to get that hung up over.

• Options

My friends manage not to be annoying and push crap on Facebook. Yes, you can always ignore it but the people who push it using social media could also realize how annoying they are and STFU.

• Options
    sarahufl said:
    People are so annoying. Can't they just DO a thing without constantly evangelizing about it?

Also: the only people I have seen hawking it are uh...well, let's just say I don't see it working. 
    To be fair, this girl looks fabulous. But the other problem I have with it is that they are all guilty of a little mommy-shaming.

Yeah, mommyshaming is not cool. I am really, REALLY good at gaining weight (it's a gift, don't be jealous!) but have a much harder time losing it. So I can only imagine that my "losing the baby weight" journey is going to be a long, long road when the time comes. And it will come about because of deliberate and sustainable diet and exercise, not a fucking processed shake.

To be fair there is only one person on my feed who ever really talked about Beach Body--she was the kind of person who would bounce from fad to fad while making less healthy decisions in her general life (which is fine! Some people like beer and chips more than working out, and that is totally acceptable. Just don't hop on a fitness bandwagon afterward and start selling it. Especially not if you can't even show me that it has a good effect on your entire lifestyle).
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Options

I understand your point but disagree. It's one thing to ignore the popup facebook ads. It's dishearting to see a PM from a FRIEND and expect a real conversation to realize it's just garbage about them getting a commission off of you.
    Agreed- I see that social media will just be full of this junk, but PMs are taking it too far, I think,
  • Options
    oh gosh, I don't even know what beachbody is. Maybe a west coast thing?
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    sarahufl said:

--------------------------------
    Potentially controversial opinion here. As someone who has always enjoyed working out and running, I get really irritated that many women only get into this stuff after having a baby. Nevermind the insane drinking, late night eating, and laziness in college (meaning collecting lots of calories and gaining weight, not shaming the fun involved). Nevermind being a couch potato right through getting married.  All of a sudden after having a baby, it's "Oh my god fitness is so amazing! Oh my god, healthy eating! You guys have to try this new fad diet/shake/class! It's so amazing!"  

Why didn't you figure this out years ago? Maybe with a healthier lifestyle all along you wouldn't have to resort to insane tactics to rid the baby weight.  < end rant >  The only honest thing I can think of is maybe they had a reality check that their state of being was negatively impacting their ability to be a mom (chasing after a toddler) or their ability to be around and see their kid grow up (weight-induced disease leading to shorter life span). 

Edit- boxes?? 
    I feel like the bolded hits home for a lot of moms. They realize now they have another person to take care of and want to be healthy for their children and promote that lifestyle. I also think a lot of it has to do with self confidence. after pregnancy, so many women hate the way they look and aren't happy with their body so they decide to take action to feel better and like the image they see in the mirror.

I get where you're coming from that it irritates you that women who normally don't exercise all of the sudden want to after a baby but I do question why it matters? If it is important that people are being healthy and exercising, then why does it matter their motivation to do so? Whether it is having a baby, wanting to look good at the beach, or you're training for a marathon, it is just important that they are taking those steps to be healthy.

I do agree that the fad diets, workout plans, shakes, and all that nonsense is ridiculous.

• Options
    sarawifenowsarawifenow member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2014
    sarahufl said:

Potentially controversial opinion here. As someone who has always enjoyed working out and running, I get really irritated that many women only get into this stuff after having a baby. Nevermind the insane drinking, late night eating, and laziness in college (meaning collecting lots of calories and gaining weight, not shaming the fun involved). Nevermind being a couch potato right through getting married.  All of a sudden after having a baby, it's "Oh my god fitness is so amazing! Oh my god, healthy eating! You guys have to try this new fad diet/shake/class! It's so amazing!"  

Edit- boxes?? 

-----------------------------------------------make-a-box-------------------------------------------------   Why does this bother you so much? I was a couch potato through most of my wedding planning because I was simply too exhausted to do much else. Granted, I have lost 40 pounds in the last 6 months, but that was do to a change in diet. I am lucky and can lose weight by eating healthy and don't have to work out much.

I just think it is really silly to judge someone because they are making a choice to get healthy. Perhaps these women just had their child and want to get healthy for their child? Maybe the workouts are a way to relieve the stress of just having a baby? Idk, I just think it is kind of rude to judge someone for choosing to change their lifestyle for the better.

ETF: Stupid boxes

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    sarahufl said:

Edit- boxes?? 

-----------------------------------------------make-a-box-------------------------------------------------   Why does this bother you so much? I was a couch potato through most of my wedding planning because I was simply too exhausted to do much else. Granted, I have lost 40 pounds in the last 6 months, but that was do to a change in diet. I am lucky and can lose weight by eating healthy and don't have to work out much.

I just think it is really silly to judge someone because they are making a choice to get healthy. Perhaps these women just had their child and want to get healthy for their child? Maybe the workouts are a way to relieve the stress of just having a baby? Idk, I just think it is kind of rude to judge someone for choosing to change their lifestyle for the better.

ETF: Stupid boxes

I agree with this.  Maybe being healthy wasn't as important to them before having a baby as it was after since, you know, they have a brand new life they now have to take care of and want to be around for as long as possible.

One should never judge the reason behind someone wanting to get healthy, but applaud the fact that they finally made that decision to better themselves.

• Options
    I stumbled upon a girl I was friends with in college, but lost contact with when she dropped out before FB was a thing. Wanted to add her... til I saw her page was FLOODED with Beach Body shit and noped right outta there. Sorry not sorry.

I'm happy this is a vent-friendly place.

• Options
    I don't think this is the same thing as Beachbody, but last summer I did this program (that I THOUGHT was being supervised by a doctor, but that's an entirely different story) and it basically consisted of meal-replacement with shakes. I was only supposed to eat a very minimal amount of fat, and NO carbs or sugar, so that my body would go into 'ketosis?' and work on my excess fat. First of all, the drinks were awful. It got to the point where I couldn't even keep them down. By the 4th day of this, I felt like I had the flu. All I did was sleep and I literally hurt. In hindsight, this might have been my body going through withdrawals from sugar/carbs, who knows. Anyway, I quit after the 4th day and ate a REAL meal, and felt better almost instantly. Lesson learned: I cannot take an entire food group out of my diet.

This sounds like a recipe for disaster. Lots of people do follow a ketogenic diet to lose weight, and it actually does work (although what you lose initially is just water weight that you'll gain back as soon as you start eating carbs again, so you need to stick with it until you've actually lost a little more than your end goal). Feeling gross in the beginning is called "keto flu" and everyone goes through it when you cut out carbs like that. It goes away after a few days. There are no shakes with a keto diet, though, it's just following certain % macros and tracking literally everything you eat. 
  • Options
    esstee33 said:

This sounds like a recipe for disaster. Lots of people do follow a ketogenic diet to lose weight, and it actually does work (although what you lose initially is just water weight that you'll gain back as soon as you start eating carbs again, so you need to stick with it until you've actually lost a little more than your end goal). Feeling gross in the beginning is called "keto flu" and everyone goes through it when you cut out carbs like that. It goes away after a few days. There are no shakes with a keto diet, though, it's just following certain % macros and tracking literally everything you eat. 
    That would have been great to hear when I dove off into this process haha but they were all about SELL SELL SSELLL and they got me =/
    Anniversary

• Options

My mistake was joining those buy/sell or garage-sale type facebook pages. It was all fine and dandy until all of a sudden, people started posting those It Works wraps and Beach Body posts. Now my local pages are flooded and it's hard to scroll through to find items I actually might be interested in. My two options are to suck it up and weed through the pointless posts or withdraw from the groups all together.

I also have a friend that just got into Younique - dear lord. 5 to 10 posts a day about friggin mascara.

• Options

So you write them back and tell them that you are not interested and to no longer send you that stuff.  Again, not something to get that hung up over.
    I think you're just not a venter, Maggie. You often say you don't get why people complain about stuff that won't change, and to your enormous credit, you seem to practice what you preach. I've never seen you start a thread just to whine. 

On the other hand, whining about stuff is something the rest of us humans do, occasionally. I guess I could turn your advice back on you: If people complaining bothers you, why do you comment on vent threads instead of ignoring them? Not trying to stir shit. I have a FI who is utterly useless to vent to because he'll always turn it to "OK, so what are you going to DO about it?" when the entire point of the exercise isn't actually problem-solving, it's an emotional outlet. So I know it's a personality type, and actually a pretty admirable one when it comes to day-to-day actions. It just seems like a person who hates complaint without action would be better served avoiding places where people are venting for venting's sake.
    Trust me, I vent.  But I vent about things that I believe are important and are typically about things that I could use some advice on (job, relationship, family issues).  I just find that venting about crap that will never change is a waste of energy that could be better used elsewhere.

It would be like me starting a thread to vent about how much I fucking hate winter and the cold. Venting about it won't change the fact that it will still be cold and I will still have to deal with it. And it probably won't make me feel any better because the venting won't lead to a solution.

As to the bolded I could say the same thing to you.  For someone who hates, say Hobby Lobby and the song "Baby Its Cold Outside" that person would stay away from threads that pertain to both of those subjects.  So you telling me to stay away from vent threads is about as useful as it is for me to tell you to stay away from threads about things that you can't stand.

Finally, maybe being the voice of reason aka ignore the stuff you find annoying, may help someone turn the corner from always being annoyed by shit to realizing that certain stuff won't change and it is pointless to waste energy on that crap.

• Options
    esstee33 said:

That would have been great to hear when I dove off into this process haha but they were all about SELL SELL SSELLL and they got me =/
    Yeahhhh, an actual Keto diet has nothing to buy other than groceries. You just consume more fat (coconut oil, avocados, olive oil, etc.) than anything else, keep your carbs really low, and protein in the middle. 

I'm not surprised you felt like shit if you were just replacing actual food with shakes. 
  • Options

I think you're just not a venter, Maggie. You often say you don't get why people complain about stuff that won't change, and to your enormous credit, you seem to practice what you preach. I've never seen you start a thread just to whine. 

On the other hand, whining about stuff is something the rest of us humans do, occasionally. I guess I could turn your advice back on you: If people complaining bothers you, why do you comment on vent threads instead of ignoring them? Not trying to stir shit. I have a FI who is utterly useless to vent to because he'll always turn it to "OK, so what are you going to DO about it?" when the entire point of the exercise isn't actually problem-solving, it's an emotional outlet. So I know it's a personality type, and actually a pretty admirable one when it comes to day-to-day actions. It just seems like a person who hates complaint without action would be better served avoiding places where people are venting for venting's sake.
    Trust me, I vent.  But I vent about things that I believe are important and are typically about things that I could use some advice on (job, relationship, family issues).  I just find that venting about crap that will never change is a waste of energy that could be better used elsewhere.

It would be like me starting a thread to vent about how much I fucking hate winter and the cold. Venting about it won't change the fact that it will still be cold and I will still have to deal with it. And it probably won't make me feel any better because the venting won't lead to a solution.

As to the bolded I could say the same thing to you.  For someone who hates, say Hobby Lobby and the song "Baby Its Cold Outside" that person would stay away from threads that pertain to both of those subjects.  So you telling me to stay away from vent threads is about as useful as it is for me to tell you to stay away from threads about things that you can't stand.

Finally, maybe being the voice of reason aka ignore the stuff you find annoying, may help someone turn the corner from always being annoyed by shit to realizing that certain stuff won't change and it is pointless to waste energy on that crap.
    But I don't go on those threads and tell people that they're foolish for having started them.I LIKE debating things and occasionally delving into conversations about stuff I hate. Hate-reading: it's good for the skin.

If you started a thread about hating winter, I MIGHT post a gif to tease you. I'd more likely ignore the thread entirely. I wouldn't imply that you're tiresome to me for having started the thread in the first place. That is the difference, to me.

Re: the bolded, that is pretty great that it's true for you. It's a very practical attitude, and it's great that your emotions and your logic are on the same page. But many, many people DO feel better when they vent about something that they can't "solve." Some people feel good having gotten it off their chest. Others like to see that they aren't alone in feeling that way. And plenty of people like to commiserate. And sometimes that act of venting "frees" them to go about their day without ruminating about their issue. Sure, it wouldn't be healthy to bitch about unsolvable shit all day long, but it's just plain incorrect to suggest that venting is necessarily "wasted" energy. 

p.s. Did I even comment on the Baby it's Cold thread? I can't recall! But A+ for reading my mind. I can't stand that one. 
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Options

And that's fine, but not everyone works like that. For many people venting IS productive and helpful, even on situations they can't change. That's why it's called venting - if you vent to let the steam escape, you don't explode. It's not fixing or seeking assistance, just releasing tension in a harmless direction.

I actually wouldn't call it venting at all if you're asking for advice on how to change something. That's... asking for advice. Usually via expressing frustration, but it's not really a vent. In that case you need the steam to build up to give you momentum toward affecting change.
    That is great and that is your opinion.  Mine is that venting about ads and PMs about Beachbody on your FB is silly.  

And yes you can vent and also get advice.  People do it here all the time.  It is called "OMG I need to vent for a second" and then at the end asking "So what do you think?"

And again I think wasting your energy worrying over ads about Beachbody constantly showing up on your FB newsfeed is silly.  Just scroll right on buy or press the delete button.  Simple solution and that annoyance just vanishes.  Why let the annoyance over something so minute build up to the point that venting is even necessary?

• Options

FTR, I also detest winter. I know that complaining won't help, but DAMN, I hate the cold.
  • Options
    doeydo said:
    I have a beach body, pretty sure everyone does.  Step one: have a body:  Step two: go to beach.
    That's offensive to disembodied supervillians.

• Options
    My fucking excuse is I don't fucking feel like it
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options

My mistake was joining those buy/sell or garage-sale type facebook pages. It was all fine and dandy until all of a sudden, people started posting those It Works wraps and Beach Body posts. Now my local pages are flooded and it's hard to scroll through to find items I actually might be interested in. My two options are to suck it up and weed through the pointless posts or withdraw from the groups all together.

I also have a friend that just got into Younique - dear lord. 5 to 10 posts a day about friggin mascara.

My town has one of those pages.  However, the admins are very strict that it is only for garage sale-type items.  You can not sell your home-based business stuff, and you can't sell your crafty items. It's really awesome.  They tell people there are other pages for that, and there are.  There's another whole group for bazaar type stuff and another generic catch-all group with just as many members as the sale page.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards