Louisiana-New Orleans
Options

Vendor suggestions please!

Hi everyone!  So after finally booking my venue for our New Orleans destination wedding at Chateau LeMoyne I'm finally in the stage of finding vendors. I'd like to stay within my means and need recommendations for:
1.  Photographer- budget $1500-2000,  I LOVE Sarah Mattix but her packages start at $2500 and I don't think I can swing it.
2.  Hair and Makeup- Budget $250,  I'm at a complete loss for this one
3.  Floral- budget $600 tops, Bee's was suggested and I haven't called yet to see if they are in our budget.  Any reviews or advice would be awesome.
4.  Hotel Blocks- Ugh... this one is gonna give me grey hairs!  Our wedding is 4/25/15, 1st weekend of JazzFest so this has proven to be impossible.  I've contacted the cvb, hotelplanner.com, and most recently speedRFP as well as just calling the hotels.  I'm finding it impossible to get a block for under $270/nt.  I knew that rates would be higher during this time but damn... they are REALLY high.  Any help, I mean ANY help is appreciated on this one!!!!

Re: Vendor suggestions please!

• Options
    For hair and makeup - I would try a blow dry bar. They won't come to you, you'll have to go to them, but that means no minimum rates. I have had great experiences at Buff Beauty Bar in the CBD. 

For photography, we are using 1216 Studio and it's going to be $1800. They are a STEAL because you get 2 photographers all day long, and their reviews online are amazing.

Hotel blocks: I really don't think you're going to find anything reasonable. Probably better to just let people find their own lowest price on Orbitz or try renting a house on Homeaway. 

For floral, I have heard that Whole Foods does weddings and they are lower than a lot of other places. 
  • Options
    THANK YOU!!!!!
  • Options
    Littledarlingnikki:

Photography:  I have read amazing things about Sabree Hill.  Her packages start about $1600.  I don't have any personal experience with her, but reviews I have read say that shes the best and has the best prices.  When I find out more, I'll let you know. 

I haven't figured out makeup or floral yet.

Hotel Blocks:  I am running into the SAME issue b/c mine is the weekend of a major event too.  Ugh.  However, I did manage to book 3 so far for somewhat reasonable.  Bienville House for $259/$269 depending on the type of room.  JW Marriott off of Canal for $239.  And, funnily enough, La Quinta New Orleans Downtown for $229.  I wanted to give some of my really far travelers the lowest price possible.  La Quinta isn't the most glamorous, but hopefully it will provide some wiggle room for those of my guest really struggling with price.  But I agree, they can find their own if they want to or rent a guest house.  The French Quarter Suites Hotel and Townhomes is fairly reasonable.  I couldn't rent from the hotel because another bride already scooped up a large block.  However, I think their rates for near $200.  They also rent townhomes, such as a $1200, 4 bedroom that sleeps 12 people.  If you have a lot of family who wouldn't mind staying together, that's always an option.  Might be less than per person than a hotel, but without some of the amenities.  Just a suggestion!  Good luck.  I know how you feel about the CVB and Speed RFP.  I have just been cold calling places now!  So stressful!
  • Options
    I've also booked 1216 Studio for my May courthouse wedding, and Daryl has been SO easy to work with so far. They customized a package for exactly what we need, we get 2 photographers, and since we're not local, he has lots of suggestions for places to take pictures and hotels to stay in (though we still need to pick one and book it). 
  • Options

Photography: We are using Rita Frelich and she is reasonably priced and just an all around awesome person!

Room Blocks: We are getting married in Feb, so we booked Sheraton ($209) and LaQuinta ($120). The bad thing about your date is that hotels are going to be pricey, but there will be so much for your guests to experience.

Flowers: We are doing our own flowers. We are only using flowers for the bridal party. Our décor is all candles.

Good Luck!

• Options
    thanks girls, SO MUCH! 

Photo- I'm talking to 1216 Studio now in hopes of getting a better rate than the $2000 I'm being offered.  But they have such a comprehensive package!  But I think I'm gonna check out Sabree Hill, she sounds more in my budget. Never heard of Rita Frelich but I'm gonna look her up too!

Hair- I've been hearing a lot about flawless bride but they just seem so pricy.  I also like Kiss and Makeup but having the same problem.  Does anyone know if you can just book a makeup and hair appt without telling them it's a wedding and get a better price?  But I'm totally gonna try the Buff Beauty Bar thanks for that suggestion!

Blocks- CsyLyn87 thanks for those suggestions I'm gonna give them a call tomorrow just to check it out.  Where is your ceremony?
  • Options
    Welcome!  My ceremony is at The Paris Room, off of St. Louis Street.  We're having our ceremony and reception at the same place, second lining in between!  Also, I used that hotelplanner.com and got an email from the International House Hotel with prices as low as $179.  I don't know if you have tried them or not, but my wedding is also during a festival weekend/holiday weekend so I was amazed by those prices.  Might be worth checking out!
  • Options
    Thanks!  I cannot believe I didn't check out that venue!  It's beautiful.  I did actually try hotelplanner and got some good responses but I was on vacation for 3 weeks and missed my cutoff dates!!!!!  I can't tell you what I wouldn't give to have snapped up those hotels that I thought were too expensive.  I think I'm gonna submit another bid to see what I come up with.  Good luck on your wedding, and I'll update here on my vendors in hopes that it'll help you and others too!
  • Options
    Thanks, and good luck to you too!  I'll update too, once I get this stuff squared away!  Definitely going to look into 1216 Studio!
  • Options
    Photography:  Marc Pagani Photography's packages start at $1695.  He's been around a lot longer than any of the other people listed above and has GREAT reviews.  We are using one of his associates, whose work is fantastic, especially when you consider the price.  Good luck!
  • Options
    quick update on hotels if this helps anyone.  I just submitted a second bid on hotelplanner.com for our dates which are the 1st weekend of JazzFest.   I got back Hotel Modern for $205/nt and Hilton New Orleans St.Charles for $269.
  • Options
    @littledarlingnikki Thanks!! Also, I'm assuming either from Hotelplanner.com or from the CVB, I got an offer from Doubletree in the Quarter for $179/night or the Hilton Riverside for $199/night!  And the Hampton Inn Convention Center for $159/night. 
  • Options
    Also, I got an email from the Knot (knot offers) for a free toss bouquet from Iris Nola when you book with them before 2/2015.  I need to read reviews about them/do research, but just thought I'd throw that out there! 
  • Options

We're using Summerford photography in May 2015, so I don't have any personal experience but her pictures online look great and she's very affordable.

http://www.summerfordphotography.com/rates

Good luck!

• Options
    You could always try LeRichelieu Hotel on Chartres.  We secured rates at $141 a night.  They were wonderful to work with and everyone loved the property! 

I used Flawless Bride and found their services wonderful, and rates were right.

Florist:  I cannot recommend IRIS enough!  Tell Nicole your budget, and she'll work with you.  We kept flowers to a minimum and she put together something gorgeous for us! 

Our photographer was City Park Studios.  He was recommended by a local friend and we loved him!  Rates may be steep, but you do not want to skimp to two things:  hair/make up or photos!  That was the constant advice I received, and I believe it to be true! 

Good luck!  :)
  • Options
    thank you so much Aeb74!
  • Options
    I love our photographer - www.jalbusphoto.com - his prices are a little out of your budget but you can ask him, and check out his work - we loved it!

Florist - if you really just want bouquets, have you looked into any of the online wholesalers who will send you readymade bouquets?  Our wedding planners (amazing) are helping with the flowers, but otherwise I was going to go that route.  I've read several reviews of them online and they seem to be pretty good.

Hair/makeup - I recently saw a wedding where the bride's makeup looked amazing - she had it done at a hair place in the quarter, and their rates were good.  I'll try to look it up for you.
  • Options
    For makeup you can look into Katie Malone. She came to our prep location the morning of. As a bridesmaid, I paid $60 for full application and lashes. She has a shop on Magazine Street near Whole Foods. 
  • Options
    I was thinking about just going to the Buff Beauty Bar the morning of the wedding for hair and makeup but I still may have someone come to me.  Easier, but more expensive.  I'll have to look into all of this!

• Options
    So thankful for all of these suggestions!  And I am definitely in the middle of talking to Iris now!
  • Options
    For our photographer we are using Ryan North @ www.northproductions.com his packages range from 1200-4000 (we just had our engagement session done with him and he is awesome)

for our florist we are actually using the photographer's mother (her info is on the website as well) our package is under $550 

my hair is going to be done by a friend of my mom who is a cosmetologist, but Im still searching for someone who will do makeup for only the bride :/

for our hotel blocks we used Jetaport.com . Many of our guests have already booked with the blocks set up with no issues (they got us rooms downtown for $199-$219/ night a week before Mardi Gras)
  • Options
    Wow!  Those are some pretty great prices all around! @mimihankston15
  • Options
    I hope you go with Iris!  Tell Nicole Amber from 11/8 recommended her to you!  She was so wonderful to work with! 
  • Options
    I will, definitely!! Thank you, again!! @aeb7
  • Options
    I just sent iris and email too!  I contacted Bee's flowers with what I wanted which was VERY simple, hanging buds from fishing line, petals for the isle, flowers to decorate mini-cakes, 2 bouquets, and 3 boutonniers and they quoted me at around $4-5000!!!!!  Absolutely insaine.  Hopefully Iris can give me a better quote.

also I think I have decided to go with 1216 Studio.  Daryl has been great and they gave me a decent rate after trying to talk him down.  I've been trying to contact Rita Frielich but I can't get her!!!
  • Options
    We also encouraged our guests to use alternatives to hotels (home rentals / air bnb etc) and they've had some success with that.

My finance and I are staying in this BEAUTIFUL apartment in NoLA for the entire week for $1700 total.  My parents, siblings and aunt are staying in a HUGE apartment for $2900 for the entire week (That's 6 people).  It saved them like $2,000. Also, if folks book with air bnb you get credits for your future stays. We just put our link on our wedding website.  If you PM me I can send you my link and we'll both get $20 credits! :)
  • Options
    I will have to look into Air BNB!  I forgot all about that!

Also, has anyone had any experience with Kimberly Spins Photography?
  • Options
    Kimberly Spins - We saw her site.  She's apparently only shot a few weddings. Just starting out.  We wanted someone with more experience and a bigger group of photos to look at, more package options, etc.  Good Luck.

• Options
    I have been trying so hard to get everyone to look at the rental houses.  Personally, I think VRBO is better than airbnb but they are both great.

I'm pretty sure we are gonna go with 1216 Studio but I really like Rita Frelich.  Did anyone else have a problem  getting in touch with her?  Or know what her packages cost? 
  • Options
    I'm using Rita Frelich! Did you email her? She will respond by email. Her plans start around $1400 and her pics look amazing. She's also really nice!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards