Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

BM robes

Looking into ordering robes to give my girls and myself to get ready with.. Anyone have any suggestions on who to order them with? Also trying to think about what to get that they will get the most use out of.. I personally like the non silk robes better.. But the silk and floral robes always look great in pics.. Help!

Re: BM robes

• Options
    edited June 2015
  • Options
    I agree about shopping for your girls like you would for their birthdays. It is much more thoughtful and they will appreciate it more if you take the time to personalize their gifts. The robes are a cute idea, but I think giving the girls a little something else maybe not even wedding related would be nice. Maybe think of each girls' favorite wine or restaurant and make that the gift?
  • Options
    Do they normally get ready in a robe? Do they normally like getting their picture taken in a robe? If not, please skip this. It's not as good of an idea as Pinterest would have you believe. None of my girls (nor I) would have been comfortable with this.

• Options
    This came up a couple of years ago when I was MOH at a former roommate's wedding. Bride presented 4 of us with satiny robes. Matching hers except for color. Her 9 yr old Jr bridesmaid sister put hers on.
    Bride came in 15 min later and was upset to find 3 of us in shorts and tops. She asked when we were going to change into robes and everyone stayed quiet ( not arranged, just nothing to say that would not have seemed overtly rude.)

After a minute of silence Bride actually stamped her foot and said, well if no one wears them I will have wasted 37 dollars on each or you. Still silence.

Then, by the look on her face, she got it.

It is a waste of money getting a kind of robe your attendants would never wear, or expecting them to have pictures taken in a robe or any other state of partial undress. And if she had paid any kind of attention over the past ten years she would have known none of the 3 of us would possibly have done it.
    Leaving them in their store wrapping with tags except price meant she could exchange them. Wearing them for 5 minutes over clothes for a picture, and never again would not have been more polite, but a waste of $110. That would have been rude.
  • Options
    Robes are personal. Some people don't like them at all, and nearly everyone who does likes something different. I have a long silky robe that's great for lounging in, but I rarely wear robes to get ready in.

And I would only be photographed in a robe if it was for H.

Anniversary
  • Options
    AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2014
    I would hate this. I love my terrycloth bathrobe. It's like a big towel I wrap myself in whenever I get out of the shower or bathtub. I even take it on trips with me b/c I hate getting out of the shower w/o it.  I do not, however, get ready in it. I get ready in pajamas or sweats/tank top/t-shirt. I never understand brides who want to push their bridesmaids into costume to get ready together.

ETA: Additionally, I would have no interest in photographs being taken of me in various stages of getting ready ie no makeup, hair in curlers, etc. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Anything you give your bridesmaids with the expectation that they will use or wear it for photo ops or otherwise specifically for your wedding is not a "gift."  Give your bridesmaids something unconnected to your wedding that they would actually like owning, just like a holiday or birthday gift.  Not something for your use as opposed to theirs.

Not only that:  Many people don't want to be photographed while in a state of undress or wearing a robe by someone other than their own SOs (and sometimes not even then).  It feels intrusive.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
  • Options
    No robes, please!  You wouldn't catch me dead in that outside of my own home.  And ditto PPs, no pictures before hair and makeup is done for me!
  • Options
    Thanks ladies. I love how everyone always jumps to the assumption though that everyone is a bridezilla on here! I might re think the idea. We're keeping our bridal party small so with only a few girls I'm able to get them great personal gifts as well as paying for their hair and makeup. Anything other than their dress specific for the wedding I'm purchasing so they don't have to. Still might do a robe for a couple cute pics when were all ready with makeup mad hair done. We will wait and see.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies. I love how everyone always jumps to the assumption though that everyone is a bridezilla on here! I might re think the idea. We're keeping our bridal party small so with only a few girls I'm able to get them great personal gifts as well as paying for their hair and makeup. Anything other than their dress specific for the wedding I'm purchasing so they don't have to. Still might do a robe for a couple cute pics when were all ready with makeup mad hair done. We will wait and see.
    And you're completely okay wasting your money if they refuse to wear them like someone mentioned above when she didn't want to put it on? 
  • Options
    msuprincess04msuprincess04 member
    5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2014

I was just in a wedding and no one put the robes on until our hair and make-up was done for a few "getting ready" photos. It was hot and the robes just made it hotter. That said. When it was time to take a few pics we did all put them on for those 10 minutes. If you want to spend the money for a few photos, go for it. It sounds like you aren't considering them your gift, so you are doing it just fine.

ETA: We had the cotton waffle robes with our monograms embroidered on them. I like those better for the getting ready photos because they seem less like lingerie.

"There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • Options
    I would be really uncomfortable wearing a robe in some picture that's almost certainly social media bound. And I'm definitely not a pearl clutcher or anything like that. Just nope nope nope. 

Listen, I know these pictures are all over Pinterest right now, but if you actually think about it for a minute, they're pretty stupid. Not everything on Pinterest is a good idea. I mean, who gives a shit to see a bunch of grown women half ready? I just don't get it.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    I would be really uncomfortable wearing a robe in some picture that's almost certainly social media bound. And I'm definitely not a pearl clutcher or anything like that. Just nope nope nope. 

Listen, I know these pictures are all over Pinterest right now, but if you actually think about it for a minute, they're pretty stupid. Not everything on Pinterest is a good idea. I mean, who gives a shit to see a bunch of grown women half ready? I just don't get it.
    This guy does.

OP nobody accused you of being a bridezilla. We just think you have your priorities somewhat askew. It's extra money spent on a picture that you're not going to put in your album, not going to hang on your wall. It'll only be taken to generate a couple re-pins but annoy your friends in the process, who have to stop what they're doing, change their clothes, put on a robe they're probably not comfortable in, and pose for pictures knowing the robe is the focal point, and not them. Those pictures have nothing to do with capturing your friendships, and everything with making something social media-worthy. Is that how you want your friends to remember their experience in your wedding? I doubt it. So put that money toward a few bottles of champagne, have fun getting ready in your tank tops and shorts, and let your pictures show how much fun you're having naturally.

• Options
     So put that money toward a few bottles of champagne, have fun getting ready in your tank tops and shorts, and let your pictures show how much fun you're having naturally.
    And don't forget some orange juice to make mimosas and some cinnamon crunch bagels from Panera because they are the shit.

• Options
     So put that money toward a few bottles of champagne, have fun getting ready in your tank tops and shorts, and let your pictures show how much fun you're having naturally.
    And don't forget some orange juice to make mimosas and some cinnamon crunch bagels from Panera because they are the shit.
    New Year's Day Brunch, DECIDED!
  • Options
    Big text that shit because it is the TRUTH. Do they still have the hazelnut cream cheese?

• Options
    Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2014
    Big text that shit because it is the TRUTH. Do they still have the hazelnut cream cheese?
    Yup!  I may now have to stop by Panera on my way home from work.

ETA:  at least their website says they still have it.

• Options

I really hope they still do. If not, I'm pretty sure Philadelphia makes hazelnut cream cheese.  But it's just not the same.
  • Options
    An example of a wedding where there are getting ready photos taken, but not in matching pjs or robes and after hair and makeup are done:
  • Options
    edited June 2015
  • Options
    Going to totally be in the minority but I have been in two weddings where the bride gave us robes as well as a couple of other gifts. I love robes and I still use them both. For one wedding we did the full on hair and makeup done, still just in our robes picture. For the other I wore my robe to get ready but it was slightly awkward as we did hair and makeup and then traveled to the venue to get dressed. It was cold outside so a robe was not enough and bare legs were a poor plan. 

All told, I did not find it rude that these brides gave me the robes but I think it's important to realize that not everyone will like them and that they may not want to wear them. 
  • Options
    Going to totally be in the minority but I have been in two weddings where the bride gave us robes as well as a couple of other gifts. I love robes and I still use them both. For one wedding we did the full on hair and makeup done, still just in our robes picture. For the other I wore my robe to get ready but it was slightly awkward as we did hair and makeup and then traveled to the venue to get dressed. It was cold outside so a robe was not enough and bare legs were a poor plan. 

All told, I did not find it rude that these brides gave me the robes but I think it's important to realize that not everyone will like them and that they may not want to wear them. 
    I think the thing is, why the bride gave you robes.  You know?  Like if she gave the girls robes because she truly thought they would like them and want to wear them then go for it.  But if the only reason is to get "cute" robe posed pictures then I just don't understand it.

• Options
    I don't even hate the silky BM robes so much (I actually love getting ready in a cute robe), but I do hate the posed, "getting ready with my maids!" picture that brides force upon their bridal party and then uploads to instagram.

For example, I was in a wedding over the summer and the bride and photographer would randomly make us stop whatever we were doing while getting ready to do some "candid" and "cute" pictures like all the bridesmaids' reaction to the bride in her dress, to the bride putting her shoes on, to the bride's hairdo, to the bride pulling her wedding ring out of the box.... if you're not cringing already, I assure you that you would if you saw the awkward smiles on the bridesmaids' face in the finished photos.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    peachy13 said:
    I don't even hate the silky BM robes so much (I actually love getting ready in a cute robe), but I do hate the posed, "getting ready with my maids!" picture that brides force upon their bridal party and then uploads to instagram.

For example, I was in a wedding over the summer and the bride and photographer would randomly make us stop whatever we were doing while getting ready to do some "candid" and "cute" pictures like all the bridesmaids' reaction to the bride in her dress, to the bride putting her shoes on, to the bride's hairdo, to the bride pulling her wedding ring out of the box.... if you're not cringing already, I assure you that you would if you saw the awkward smiles on the bridesmaids' face in the finished photos.
    I think that photographer needs to learn the definition of candid.

• Options

Take into consideration the time of year with the style of robe are getting. A really nice warm & thick robe for a July wedding might be uncomfortable. Just as a silky one might be too cold for a winter time wedding. I would personally ask my BM what they are comfortable in. You getter a bigger response from pj pants/shorts from old navy with a zip up hoodie or tank top. I know for my wedding nothing would have worked because we all met up at the church & got dressed in one of the classrooms at the church. We already had our hair & makeup done so it was just a matter of changing from our regular clothes to our dresses.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards