Chit Chat
Options

Wedding crasher in chief

I'm sure if you watch or read any news at all you've heard about THIS already.

I have to say...I would have been annoyed!  Although, the article does say that the venue tells couples their plans are subject to change if the president's in town.  And he says he didn't know, which I can see nobody wanting to be the person who's like, "Uh, yeah, sorry Mr. President, but Suzy and Johnny are getting married, so no golfy today."  Still, I think I would have had to restrain myself from a little SS moment!  Then again, it'd be cool to tell people that you got a personal phone call from him on your wedding day!

Re: Wedding crasher in chief

• Options
    Ha, this is funny.  I'd be pissed if I were Obama though-- I would want somebody to tell me I'm ruining a wedding, yeesh!  At least they have a funny story and they didn't seem too peeved about it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    Ha, this is funny.  I'd be pissed if I were Obama though-- I would want somebody to tell me I'm ruining a wedding, yeesh!  At least they have a funny story and they didn't seem too peeved about it.
    Yeah, that link above has the video of their phone call with him, which I hadn't seen before.  They seemed super laid back about it, and it's certainly a story they can tell for a lifetime!

• Options
    I'm torn. It's kind of amusing, and cute how he called them to apologize, but I don't know why it's news. It's basically another reason for people who already don't like him to say, "See, he's horrible and mean!" Even though I'm sure he had no idea and probably felt bad after. I would feel bad.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I'm torn. It's kind of amusing, and cute how he called them to apologize, but I don't know why it's news. It's basically another reason for people who already don't like him to say, "See, he's horrible and mean!" Even though I'm sure he had no idea and probably felt bad after. I would feel bad.
    I took it to be a pretty apolitical story.  I just heard a brief mention of it on the radio today, then looked up an article to learn more about it and decided to share because it made me think of y'all.  If anyone feels like this is a reason to really not like him should probably get a life.  (And I would feel that way regardless of the politician or their ideology.)

• Options
    I took it to be a pretty apolitical story.  I just heard a brief mention of it on the radio today, then looked up an article to learn more about it and decided to share because it made me think of y'all.  If anyone feels like this is a reason to really not like him should probably get a life.  (And I would feel that way regardless of the politician or their ideology.)

You're probably right. My dad and uncle are megaconservatives and I have a bunch of FB friends who don't like him so I'm always prepared for that kind of response. But come to think of it I haven't seen anything on the feed in that vein.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I saw this the other day! I would be irritated if that happened to my wedding only because of all the planning I'd have done having to suddenly change and then having to tell all of the guests, potentially inconveniencing them. But it's good that he apologized and it makes for an interesting story to look back on. I hope they didn't lose any money in deposits, travel fees, etc. because of the sudden change in plans though.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'd like it, if only for the awesome family story it'd be. But I'm extremely liberal, been to 5 Democratic National Conventions and took my daughters to Obama's 2012 inauguration.

The idiots on social media don't get the exact same would happen with ANY POTUS. Plus, the change in plans is a known risk there, so suck it up.
  • Options
    I think it's kind of funny. But then again, it wasn't my wedding.
  • Options
    It's a slow news week. Congress is on vacation as is the president. No great snowpocalypse to report on. The missing airplane was found fairly quickly. And that newly married couple was told they might have to shift their site--they were prepared.
  • Options
    I don't think it really makes him look mean, the president showing up to the wedding would actually be a huge inconvenience to everyone if they had to get pat downs, plus I believe that he didn't know, and if he had would have avoided it.

What I do think sucks is the fact that someone's wedding that they've planned for months and paid for is subject to change if the president decides to play golf. 

I mean, he's the president, not the emperor.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited June 2015
  • Options
    I thought it was cute that it showed the president conversing with citizens and being able to joke around and be normal. (How did he get their number?? Was the groom carrying his cell phone in his pocket??)

I would have been annoyed at first of course to move because PLANS but the phone call would have changed my mind definitely about how I felt.

image   image   image

• Options
    I would have been ticked, even with warning that he might want to play golf that day - but all you can do is roll with the punches.  Also, they are both Army Officers and the ONLY response they CAN give is one that is very positive and a "no big problem here" kind of thing.  He is their Commander in Chief and saying anything negative that would catch national/international news would sink their careers faster than you can blink.

I really do hope they were cool with it.  Maybe from now on he will check the wedding schedules before he schedules his golf games.  In the end they are married and still had pretty scenery.  Worse things could have happened.
  • Options
    I see where some people are worried how non-Obama supporters might spin it, but honesty I don't think that article would be taken that way. Although I am not a fan of his I don't see anything negative about the story as it reflects on him personally. Clearly he didn't know, the resort probably didn't even tell his staff at first because they wanted the president to be seen golfing on their course. I don't hold this against him in the slightest. But seriously... There are either some members of his staff, or the golf courses that need a serious talking to because kicking a wedding couple out of their spot could have created such bad publicity. Imagine if he hadn't gotten word of it and called them, and first he heard of the story was when it hit the news with only the part about them being moved for the president to golf? That would have really been hard to fix, even with a late phone call to apologies weeks later. That's why I have to hope even his staff didn't know at first.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards