Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Wedding Slideshows opinions

13»

Re: Wedding Slideshows opinions

• Options
    This is my first post, and I must say - I'm a regular over on Weddingbee where the posters are much more reasonable.  WOW, you girls are so negative and stubborn.  Have an opinion, that's fine.  But picking apart people's responses, bolding them and then dissecting why their opinion is wrong?  Someone (*ahem, you) have too much time on your hands.

I went to a wedding last weekend where they showed a slideshow less than 5 minutes long before the cake cutting, and it was great.  We all had a drink, we laughed at the funny "growing up" photos, and they had minimal "Facebaook couple-y" posts.   I for one liked it because I'm friends with the bride and don't know the groom too well - it was great to see his family and his interests, like fishing and college sports he played.  
    Who seriously goes to a wedding of their good friend's and during a slideshow only a few minutes long, rolls their eyes and hates life?  What's wrong with you snark queens?  I doubt you'd be much fun as a friend, to be honest.  
    p.s. To the person who said they came to see your "ceremony" - actually, we're talking reception here.  If they don't want a party or events, they can go home after the vows.  Simple as that.  And if you think a party is ONLY dancing and food, then I hope you're not being a huge hypocrite and having toasts, bouquet toss, the "ever-attention-getting" first dance, etc.  
    *Rant over*
  • Options
    manateehuggermanateehugger member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2015

This is my first post, and I must say - I'm a regular over on Weddingbee where the posters are much more reasonable.  WOW, you girls are so negative and stubborn.  Have an opinion, that's fine.  But picking apart people's responses, bolding them and then dissecting why their opinion is wrong?  Someone (*ahem, you) have too much time on your hands.

I went to a wedding last weekend where they showed a slideshow less than 5 minutes long before the cake cutting, and it was great.  We all had a drink, we laughed at the funny "growing up" photos, and they had minimal "Facebaook couple-y" posts.   I for one liked it because I'm friends with the bride and don't know the groom too well - it was great to see his family and his interests, like fishing and college sports he played.  
    Who seriously goes to a wedding of their good friend's and during a slideshow only a few minutes long, rolls their eyes and hates life?  What's wrong with you snark queens?  I doubt you'd be much fun as a friend, to be honest.  
    p.s. To the person who said they came to see your "ceremony" - actually, we're talking reception here.  If they don't want a party or events, they can go home after the vows.  Simple as that.  And if you think a party is ONLY dancing and food, then I hope you're not being a huge hypocrite and having toasts, bouquet toss, the "ever-attention-getting" first dance, etc.  
    *Rant over*

Thank God you're here to tell us all to change our ways. I'm sure we will a dutifully repent now.

Also, there must be some slideshowing watching gene that I am desperately missing. I can't even imagine one of my friends doing this. We want to party. Use your childhood photos as table numbers if you want. I doubt ANYONE who wants to subject their friends to watching a slideshow instead of partying is much fun.

• Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited February 2015

*Rant over*
    So you just found out that not only does the entire world not agree with you but you're in a minority.

Now all you have to do is grow up.
  • Options

*Rant over*
    Does this mean that you're going back to WeddingBee? Because I'm totes bummed.

• Options

*Rant over*
    Please go back to WeddingBee. 

• Options

This is my first post, and I must say - I'm a regular over on Weddingbee Surprise, surprise /sarc where the posters are much more reasonable validate my ideas, even if they aren't the best ideasFIFY, honey.    WOW, you girls are so negative and stubborn.  Having a different opinion than yours is not negative or stubborn.  Have an opinion, that's fine.  But picking apart people's responses, bolding them and then dissecting why their opinion is wrong?  Uh, no.  We were taking the time to explain, point by point, why we don't like slideshows at weddings or why we feel they are more appropriate shown off to the side.  Did you just want some bullshit, vapid answers to your question?  If so, that's what WeddingBee is largely for.  Someone (*ahem, you) have too much time on your hands.  @AddiCake rebutted this point already.

I went to a wedding last weekend where they showed a slideshow less than 5 minutes long before the cake cutting, and it was great.  We all had a drink, we laughed at the funny "growing up" photos, and they had minimal "Facebaook couple-y" posts.   Really?  Every single person laughed and enjoyed it?  I doubt it, and I'm not saying that to be an asshole.  I'm saying that because you can't know for certain that everyone actually loved it, and based on the response here, of a random sampling of women, many people were actually probably silently suffering along, waiting for dancing to start to to be able to socialize freely again.  I for one liked it because I'm friends with the bride and don't know the groom too well - it was great to see his family and his interests, like fishing and college sports he played.  
    Who seriously goes to a wedding of their good friend's and during a slideshow only a few minutes long, rolls their eyes and hates life?  I don't hate life, but I might roll my eyes. . . and get up to refresh my drink or quietly keep talking to people at my table.  Because if I'm that close to one or both of the couple to be invited to their wedding, then I already know what their interests are and already have seen many of those pictures.  And if I'm not that close to half of the couple, oh well but I still don't want to see random pictures at the wedding- a wedding is not the time I want to be looking at other people's pictures.  A wedding is a time that I want to eat, and drink, and chat with people I haven't seen in a while, and dance and party with the couple.  Nothing kills a good party vibe than interrupting the party for a slideshow, or a garter toss, etc.  What's wrong with you snark queens?  Nothing is wrong with me or anyone else who finds these things boring, DESPITE our differing opinions.  Stop trying to be rude.  I doubt you'd be much fun as a friend, to be honest.  Oh, please.  Because I don't like slideshows at weddings then I'm a boring person?  That's such stupid logic and a juvenile attempt at an insult as well.  I'm a party person- I love to dance and drink and socialize.  These stupid slideshows interrupt all of that.  The slideshows are the boring thing, not me.

*Rant over*

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options

*Rant over*
    Are you sure? Because you understand, I hope, that quoting and bolding is a matter of about 3 seconds, but a convenient way of letting someone know exactly what you're addressing? It isn't time consuming or difficult. 

And that bothers you so much that you took the time to join a website and include it in a critical post dissecting replies, telling people that it's a bad thing to take the time to make a critical post and dissect replies? 

The logic is sheer genius.  If you didn't see the irony when you wrote this, it's probably pointless to call it to your attention now.  ("Ahem, you." Doing exactly what you were criticizing, but even more of it. Gasp! So much time on your hands! I see you managed to introduce the word  "hypocrite" into your twaddle. Good. Take it out and try it on. You wear it well.) 

• Options
    I don't like when I have to stop everything and watch a slideshow.  I went to a wedding once where this happened, it was a waste of time.   I've been to other weddings where the slideshow has played during dinner and you could watch while eating.   I liked that.  It was cute seeing pictures of the couple as their relationship grew.    It think slideshows are OK if they're not taking up the fun time at a reception.  
  • Options
    My point is, OP asked for opinions and while different opinions should be warranted, several "regular" people here (who apparently have been posting nonstop for 3+ years... mm-kay) like to address those responses and say how they're wrong.  That's not conducive.
    Some people like a slideshow, some don't.  Give your thoughts but why come to argue?  Does it add something to your life?  And as I said before - who would hate to see their friend's pictures for a few minutes?
    For context: we are not doing a "stop and watch" slideshow.  Not even sure we'll even have one in the background.  But for those that like it, why hate??  I can enjoy my friend's choices at a wedding, I would hope you could too, especially since you were deemed important enough to be invited.
  • Options

My point is, OP asked for opinions and while different opinions should be warranted, several "regular" people here (who apparently have been posting nonstop for 3+ years... mm-kay) like to address those responses and say how they're wrong.  That's not conducive.

Some people like a slideshow, some don't.  Give your thoughts but why come to argue?  Does it add something to your life?  And as I said before - who would hate to see their friend's pictures for a few minutes?
    For context: we are not doing a "stop and watch" slideshow.  Not even sure we'll even have one in the background.  But for those that like it, why hate??  I can enjoy my friend's choices at a wedding, I would hope you could too, especially since you were deemed important enough to be invited.
    Let me get this straight - you can argue your POV, but people who disagree with you are pointless for arguing?  If you really think it wasn't something that should be argued over you should heed your own advice.

RE the bolded: People who don't like watching other people Attention Whore.  How is this a difficult concept? 

I wonder if the disconnect stems in part from different understandings of what the point of the reception is for?

• Options
    You truly fail at self perception. 

When it comes to "give your thoughts but why come to argue," you, yourself, are absolutely the worst offender on the thread. 

Are the mirrors not working at your house? 

• Options

Exactly, the OP posted a question and was looking for opinions. I have to assume that was because the OP wasn't sure if they were making a good decision or not. If the OP knew this was what they wanted and this is what all their guests would just adore, they wouldn't have posted in the first place. 

I'll repeat my opinion that I love a good slide show that I'm not FORCED into watching, and I've been to weddings with both. My advice is to just have it somewhere that people can watch as they choose to. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards