New Jersey
Options

Avenue Flowers / Bloom Floral / other florists

Hi everyone! I need an opinion. I have read wonderful things on this forum about Nathan of Avenue Flowers, so he was my first contact when I began my search for florists for my September wedding. I contacted him mid-December, and after I called an emailed quite a few times, he just got back to me today. In my opinion, I should not have to hunt vendors down. If anything, it should be the opposite. I'm wondering if anyone has had problems getting in touch with Nathan/staying in touch with him throughout the planning process. I need to work with someone that I can rely on and that can answer my questions quickly. Is this just a fluke? Are his prices really that much better than the competitors that I should disregard this incident?

I have also looked into Bloom Floral in Freehold. They have great reviews but are a little bit pricier than Avenue. Any other recommendations would be much appreciated!

Our wedding is at Addison Park in Aberdeen!

Re: Avenue Flowers / Bloom Floral / other florists

• Options
    Mid December was smack dab in the middle of the holiday season so you might want to cut him some slack. I am guessing Nathan had a ton of orders and parties that he was busy with and he is pretty much a 1 man show. I am using him and have not had a single issue contacting him or getting a response...and to answer your question...yes, his prices are that good and yes his work is that amazing.
  • Options
    jlr92588jlr92588 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment First Answer
    edited January 2015
    We are using Bridal Bouquets By Jill (formally Rose Petals and Lace) and she is based in South River, NJ. She has been very responsive and I was happy she was able to work what we wanted into our budget. This is her website http://www.bridalbouquetsbyjill.com/ but she also has a facebook with more of her recent work on it. https://www.facebook.com/bouquetsbyJill?ref=hl Good luck!
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    @Jenn7778 - I know that mid-December was a super busy time for everyone, which is why I even ask. I was just concerned that if I was unable to reach him during the holiday season, would I have the same problem during wedding season. I was really hoping to hear from other brides (like you!) that say that they havent had any problems. Thanks for your feedback!

@jlr92588 - thanks for the recommendation!
  • Options

amt6 I used Nathan/ Avenue for my wedding in May and didn't have any issues contacting him. I do not like to leave voice mails ever, and IIRC, Avenue has an AOL email address, which made me think they probably don't prefer email. So I only ever called and actually spoke to someone, but I never had to call more than once.

My flowers were beautiful and reasonably priced.

• Options
    @amt6 I sent Nathan an email to the AOL account and it got stuck in spasm.  But he was very nice but we haven't booked him yet but its our plan too.  He came very recommended from our priest and like 5 other brides that I know personally.  I think you are in good hands.
  • Options
    I am going to meet Nathan next week to see a sample of what he will do for me.  I'm really excited about him.   Does anyone have any photos of his work?  I was quoted 3x what he quoted me from another popular vendor. 

Occasionally I read posts that say they are submitting something to the vendor review site.  What is that?  What's the link? 

Thank you!
  • Options
    I loved my samples that he did for me and can not wait to see how they look at my wedding.  6 of my friends have used him as well and his work is always beautiful.  I got quotes from 2 other florists just to say I did, and they were all at least double his quote.
  • Options
    We had a consultation with Avenue and honestly were not impressed at all.  We are going with Santos in Newark instead.

I called and reached Nathan on the first try.  We set up an appointment.

We showed up for the appointment, but Nathan wasn't in the shop.  Carlos (I think that was his name?) said Nathan would be back soon and we should wait a little while, made small talk, etc.  I thought the shop looked very.... shabby, I guess would be the word.  Very small, crowded, tiny card table in the back for consultations.

Nathan just did... not... show.... up.  Finally Carlos started going through flower options with us and drew up a pretty good proposal.  Nathan finally showed up right at the end of the consultation with zero apologies for missing our entire appointment.

The price was extremely reasonable, but the level of professionalism seemed extremely low.  Santos quoted us around $300 higher, but they really seemed to have their shit together and be a much more professional shop.  I got the impression that Avenue does not really specialize in wedding flowers, whereas Santos was very wedding-focused.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    @JCbride - this is exactly my concern. I am willing to spend a few extra bucks to have a more professional, responsible vendor. It is so hard to believe that some brides can be thrilled with him, while others were completely turned off by his professionalism.
  • Options
    I have multiple friends and family that have used him and he has always been nothing but professional and on time. His work is amazing and his shop does a ton of weddings and special events. You have to do what is right for you and go with who makes you comfortable, becUse in the end that is all that matters.
  • Options
    I think Jenn7778 is right.  You have to do what's best for you.  I honestly don't mind that the shop was crowded.  He listened to everything I said and understood the look we are going for and was affordable. He was professional too.  Maybe the incident mentioned above was a rarity.   Going to see samples on Sunday.  I'm really looking forward to it!
  • Options
    @Michele - good luck! I hope everything turns out the way you hope! Please let us know!!
  • Options
    My fiance and I met with Avenue Flowers just before the Holidays. We met with both Nathan and his assistant. They spent 2 hours with us going over the flowers, the exact colors we want, how we wanted everything, and completely got our vision. 2 weeks ago we had our samples.. we were blown away. Our centerpieces look like they should cost a million dollars. We were so excited about flowers once we saw them put together (something that neither of us cared much about until we met with Avenue). When I called to confirm our sample appointment, they even remembered my wedding date! ( I was surprised because they are so busy and they still knew exactly who I was) The florist shop is like any other shop that you go too.. I have heard nothing about rave reviews about Nathan, his team, their service, and their flowers. I wouldnt judge them based off what the shop looks like. The building that they are in has been in Elizabeth for years, so its not the newest. I love working with them and cant wait to see the final products on the day of our wedding!
  • Options
    @futuremrsaviles, did you get the sample before you booked with them?
  • Options
    @pce515‌ I saw the samples from Avenue prior to bookings. Nathan say with me for about 1 1/2 hours for our initial consultation and gave us pricing. A few weeks later we went to see the samples (he did tall and low mick ups for us since we are doing a combination if heights) and we booked that day. He dies not pressure you at all to book and he only requires a very small desposit to hold your date and the pricing. He is super easy to work with.
  • Options
    Yes, he shows you the sample before you book with them.

• Options
    We are using Nathan too.  He is awesome.  He totally nailed our sample centerpieces just from talking to him about what we may want.  He is also reasonably priced!!! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards