Chit Chat
Options

Bookworms... what are you reading these days?

I just finished Gillian Flynn's "Dark Places" which was excellent. If you liked "Gone Girl," you will like this. I also just read "The Choice" by Nicholas Sparks which was good and not overly sappy. Now onto "Miss Peregrene's Home for Peculiar Children" by Ransom Riggs which is dark fantasy/young adult, really good as I started last week and will probably finish tonight. Reminds me of "Maze Runner" for those who read it.

All three are turning into movies at some point. I love reading the books first. What is everyone else reading?
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Bookworms... what are you reading these days?

• Options
    I read Me Before You and loved it.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I've read all of the OPs books, and enjoyed them. Except Nicholas Sparks - never been a fan.

I just finished "All the Light We Cannot See" and highly recommend it. Before that "Ocean at the End of the Lane" - I'd recommend this if you like Miss Peregrine, as it's a similar genre. I just started "Wolf in White Van" by John Darnielle, which is sort of a thriller.
  • Options
    KatWAG said:

I just downloaded this! I need to finish The Goldfinch before I can start my next book.
  • Options
    I am just about finished Not That Kind of Girl by Lena Dunham.  It was kinda good.
  • Options
    I just read "The Wolf of Wall Street" (yeah, I know, I'm late) and it was incredibly entertaining. I haven't seen the movie yet but holy crap...I'm not sure how much is embellished and how much is true but it is CRAZY.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    There's a really good book called Race to the Outhouse by Will E. Makeit.  I think he was actually inspired by another book called Under the Bleachers by this author called Seymour Butts. 

But anyway. I just finished reading Life After Life not too long ago and it was pretty alright. Right now I'm reading "Stop Walking on Eggshells" about dealing with crazies like my sister and I like it a lot, but that's because of my situation. I'm gonna go back to reading fiction after this one... probably something by Louise Erdrich. 
  • Options
    I'm about to start "As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride" by Cary Ewles. I don't usually read non-fiction but I love The Princess Bride
  • Options
    KatWAG said:

I just downloaded this! I need to finish The Goldfinch before I can start my next book.
    Meh, didnt love Goldfinch. I thought it got really really boring. And I hated what happened to the painting. When you finish, come back and we can talk.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm reading The Tower, The Zoo, and The Tortoise by Julia Stuart. I really like it so far! Its funny, but it has depth to it too.
  • Options
    Oh! I forgot that I also read Delirium recently which is a young adult/dystopian fiction (similar to Divergent). It's a trilogy but I just read the first one and was pretty satisfied at the end of it. It was good and a page-turner.

PS-- I got a kindle for Xmas so have been reading non-stop on my daily 2 hour round-trip train commute.

• Options
    Me Before You was really good.  All The Light We Cannot See was TREMENDOUS, although there was one part at the end that ruined it from being a top-10 book of all time for me (text in white for a spoiler):

What the heck happened to the diamond?????  Who had it and when?  I felt like the story of what happened at the end was just too ambiguous/subtle for me.  Did Werner have it on him when he was killed?  Did it stay in the ocean?  I was confused.

I am currently reading The Girl on the Train.  I'm not done with it yet but it's excellent so far--I'd recommend it to anyone who's a fan of Gone Girl or Gillian Flynn's other books.
  • Options
    I've been working my way through "The Cat Who..." mystery series by Lillian Jackson Braun. She based the setting(s) on areas of Michigan, which is kind of fun, and since I have a Siamese cat, I identify with the main character. :)
  • Options
    peachy13 said:
    Oh! I forgot that I also read Delirium recently which is a young adult/dystopian fiction (similar to Divergent). It's a trilogy but I just read the first one and was pretty satisfied at the end of it. It was good and a page-turner.

PS-- I got a kindle for Xmas so have been reading non-stop on my daily 2 hour round-trip train commute.

----------

Have you read Sharp Objects? I thought it was the best Gillian Flynn book. Way better than Gone Girl.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    arrippaarrippa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2015
    I'm about to start "As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride" by Cary Ewles. I don't usually read non-fiction but I love The Princess Bride

It's a good book. I went to a book reading by Cary Elwes. I got a picture with him and a signed book.

I am reading Reconstructing Amelia. It makes me glad that I went to high school before the internet was widely used.

Edit: title of book. Shouldn't post and talk on the phone at the same time.

• Options
    Just reread Anchee Min's Red Azalea. Really beautifully written memoir of her growing up in China during the Cultural Revolution. What a vivid window into another world. Horrifying and fascinating. 

I loved her other books as well. Becoming Madame Mao. The Last Empress. 
    Good stuff.
  • Options
    KatWAG said:
    peachy13 said:

----------

Have you read Sharp Objects? I thought it was the best Gillian Flynn book. Way better than Gone Girl.
    I haven't read Sharp Objects yet but it's on my list... among all of these that I haven't read. Thanks!

• Options
    I'm currently listening to Dr. Sleep by Stephen King (sequel to The Shining).  I love it, it's got me firmly gripped in its grasp.

• Options
    A lot of these are on my to read or read list! I would also recommend Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. It was amazing. I also really enjoyed Liane Moriarty's books. Big Little Lies was my favorite, but the Husband's Secret and What Alice forgot were good too. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @bostonbride2015 Spoiler alert text in white below:
    I think Werner left the diamond in the ocean behind the locked gate. There is a passage that describes it becoming encrusted with barnacles or something. I think he's the only one who would have had the foresight to do that and then hide the key back in the little house. But why did he do that? I'm not sure. But for it to fit with the storyline he would not have had it when he was killed, as the keeper of the diamond is not supposed to die.

@KatWAG I'm glad I'm not the only one who wasn't infatuated by The Goldfinch. I kinda kept wanting it to be over, but it was soooooo looooong, and I wanted to slap the main character for being an a-hole.

Gillian Flynn's stuff is great. Sharp Objects was also my favorite. Gone Girl was my least favorite, though I still liked it. It just kind of dragged on a bit too long.
  • Options
    The Bonesetters Daughter by Amy Tan

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    I'm reading Through a Glass Darkly by Kathleen Koen. I got it on my Nook for cheap and not I'm not sure about it yet. I'm a little over half way through. I'm enjoy the history of it, but it feels very much like a melodrama and I want to yell at all the characters to stop hurting each other. 
  • Options
    My sister keeps saying I need to read Me Before You. And I ADORED Miss Peregrine's. Loved loved loved.

I have not read anything since vacation. I am horrible about reading now. It breaks my heart, but I just want to sit and veg, or have crap to do ("wedding crap" i.e. knotting), or just don't have the energy. I just really don't have it.

I do want to read Fall of Giants. FMIL gave it to me for Christmas and I haven't really got a chance to read it yet.

I want to read the Cary Elwes book. I was in LOVE with Westley.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    I just finished Night by Elie Wiesel and just started on Hyperbole and a Half (because dammit I needed to laugh after that book).
  • Options
    100 years of solitude.

Still.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I just finished the The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls.  I need to up my reading game now that I'm temporarily out of school. 

• Options
    larrygaga said:
    100 years of solitude.

Still.
    I have a huge problem with not finishing a book. I know that it really holds me up and causes me to read MANY fewer books (since I'll be stuck on a book for MONTHS without finishing it and not start reading anything else).

That's one of the things I'm trying to work on this year: I want to read more books which means I want to encourage myself to give up on a book that's not doing it for me.
  • Options
    larrygaga said:
    100 years of solitude.

Still.
    I cannot finish Anna Karenina to save my life.  I think it might be time to let go. 

• Options
    Just finished Madame Tussaud by Michele Moran. Am getting ready to start The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern.
  • Options
    I'm usually also terrible about putting down a book, but I've gotten better as my reading wish list gets longer and longer. I was reading the Goldfinch for like 3 months... ugh.

I like the option on a Kindle to try a "sample", which I can usually read in 20 min or so. If I'm not blown away by the sample I don't buy it and move down to the next book on my list. I may be missing some good ones with this strategy (some books take a while to get going but then are amazing), but with such a huge list of great books to read and so little time... that's a risk I'm willing to take.

I also no longer read books just because I'm "supposed" to read them (like 100 Years of Solitude).
  • Options
    The Maze Runner, since we saw the movie last weekend.  And Debt of Honour, which has been dragging for me, though I've read it before.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards