Chit Chat
Options

Bookworms... what are you reading these days?

Re: Bookworms... what are you reading these days?

• Options
    I'm reading Longbourn right now. It's good if you like Pride and Prejudice. I've got The Rosie Project and Station Eleven in line next. I've heard The Rosie Project is really good, and that Station Eleven is a love-it-or-hate-it book.

Anniversary
  • Options
    Gone girl, the ship of brides, bared to you, flirting with felicity, the divergent series.
  • Options
    Gabriel García Márquez is so boring and slow but for some reason his pay off his amazing.

I also just finished the Bloody Jack series. Anyone read that?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    @levioosa I've read The Glass Castle before but for the life of me don't remember much about it. 

I'm currently re-reading the last book of the Kushiel (Phedre) trilogy by Jacqueline Carey.  They're tricky to read at work, but I like them a lot and haven't had the chance to get to the library in awhile.
  • Options
    All The Light We Cannot See was my favorite book I read last year! Seriously, SO good! Right now I'm reading Across The Universe by Beth Revis.
  • Options
    I'm reading Jim Butcher's Dresden Files series, and laughing my ass off.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • Options
    The glass castle is so so so good!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I've been re-reading the Discworld novels, because they are my safe place.

I just started Divergent last night, because I am always late to the game, and I'm already at chapter eleven, so I will probably finish tonight or tomorrow.

After I finish the Divergent series, the next book on my list is Brave New World, which I will follow with Nineteen Eighty-Four. I'm also half-reading something called The Tall Pine Polka. It's kinda weird.
    imageDaisypath Friendship tickers
  • Options

I have also decided to start reading Harry Potter. I was talking to some friends last weekend and they convinced to give the first book a chance.

I have never read any of the books or seen any of the movies, so I am going in without knowing much.

• Options
    I like Gail Carriger, so I just bought the second book in her YA series, Curtsies and Conspiracies. I'm not big on steampunk but for some reason I love her stuff. I haven't started it yet but yesterday while I was driving FI found the book in my car and started reading it to me. But he was mispronouncing all the names so I had to make him stop XD
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I'm finishing up a few books before embarking on the Song of Fire & Ice (Game of Thrones) series:  Devil in the White City (about the 1893 World Fair in Chicago and their serial killer); The Lady of the Rivers (historical fiction about the War of the Roses by Phillipa Gregory, she also wrote The Other Boleyn Girl); and The Demonologist (about Ed and Lorraine Warren, paranormal investigators).  All of them are really good.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    mrsdee15 said:
    I'm finishing up a few books before embarking on the Song of Fire & Ice (Game of Thrones) series:  Devil in the White City (about the 1893 World Fair in Chicago and their serial killer); The Lady of the Rivers (historical fiction about the War of the Roses by Phillipa Gregory, she also wrote The Other Boleyn Girl); and The Demonologist (about Ed and Lorraine Warren, paranormal investigators).  All of them are really good.
    That is an amazing book!!! Not the easiest read, but wow.

I am ashamed to admit I am currently reading "The Andy Cohen Diaries" and just loving it. So trashy. 

Also, The Romanov Sisters by Helen Rappaport (non-fiction)
  • Options
    levioosa said:
    larrygaga said:
    100 years of solitude.

Still.
    I cannot finish Anna Karenina to save my life.  I think it might be time to let go. 
    I am trying to decide if I too, should let AK go.  I RARELY don't finish a book I start, but good lord...
  • Options
    mrsdee15 said:
    That is an amazing book!!! Not the easiest read, but wow.

I am ashamed to admit I am currently reading "The Andy Cohen Diaries" and just loving it. So trashy. 

Also, The Romanov Sisters by Helen Rappaport (non-fiction)
    It's really good and really dense.  The parts about the killer are starting to really trip me out, and I can usually handle that kind of thing.  Yeesh.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    jdluvr06 said:
    Just finished Madame Tussaud by Michele Moran. Am getting ready to start The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern.
    This is on of my top three favorite books and I read it at least once a year.  I hope you love it!
  • Options
    I just finished Moriarty: A Novel (because I'm a Sherlock Holmes nerd) by Anthony Horowitz.  This morning I started The Time Traveler's Guide to Elizabethan England (non-fiction).
  • Options
    levioosa said:
    larrygaga said:
    100 years of solitude.

Still.
    I cannot finish Anna Karenina to save my life.  I think it might be time to let go. 
    I am trying to decide if I too, should let AK go.  I RARELY don't finish a book I start, but good lord...
    I get 72 pages in each time and then BAM, it's like I hit a wall. I've never had this problem before with any book, so it's really throwing me off. 

@arrippa, I too am jealous that you're getting to read HP for the first time! 

@ADPSS22 The Glass Castle was a memoir about a girl's nomadic life with an alcoholic father and mentally unstable mother. 

• Options
    I'm reading "What Alice Forgot" by Liane Moriarty. She wrote "The Husband's Secret" which I read last year, and loved. It's just taking me a while to get through it, because by the time I get home now I am exhausted and I just want to do mindless stuff like watch tv, or play my game.

My next book will be "Dark Places." I heard awesome things about it, and I LOVED "Gone Girl."
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Options
    arrippa said:

I have also decided to start reading Harry Potter. I was talking to some friends last weekend and they convinced to give the first book a chance.

I have never read any of the books or seen any of the movies, so I am going in without knowing much.

So jealous. My whole life would be different if I'd never read them (not hyperbole - I'm 100% serious here).
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    I just finished Wild which was amzing! Right now I am reading How to be an American Housewife. It is a very quick read.
  • Options
    arrippa said:

I hope you love them.  I was hooked by the end of page one.  I also read them in a British accent in my head cos it sounds better that way

• Options
    Resurrecting because I have read a bunch of your recommendations!

Sharp Objects Dark Places: both fantastic. I literally would wake up excited knowing I had a long commute ahead of me and could get some reading in.

Me Before You: really touching. I didn't know it was Brit Lit and I loved that I was reading the character's dialogues in British accents in my head. I loved the book and it really made me want to go on an adventure or something.

Girl on the Train: another British one! Loved it so much that instead of swimming at the beach last week on vacation, I was cooped up under the umbrella reading like a big nerd. 

Big Little Lies: about 15% in (or so my Kindle says) and am totally addicted. I'm excited to leave work tonight so that I can read on the train. Oh, and it's Friday night. I'm excited for that too. 

Up next: What Alice Forgot, Water for Elephants, Flirting with Felicity, Night Circus. Thanks all!! :)

• Options
    I read Dark Places and found it super disturbing. Awesome, but disturbing. 

Thanks to Kindle recommendations, I also recently read The Good Girl by Mary Kubica and thought it was great. Now I'm reading The One That Got Away by Simon Wood. I just finished The Dead Key by D.M. Pulley- also really interesting. 

I like mysteries and thrillers :) Keep me up past bedtime for sure!

• Options
    I also just finished Girl on the Train and loved it.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I just read The book Thief and loved it! I highly recommend it! 

Im currently reading the selection series. Just started it, but I've heard good things!
  • Options

Just finished Station Eleven and really liked it.  I'm not usually into post-apocalyptic fiction but this was tender and heartwarming.

If anyone's considering reading Me Before You I agree with PP and highly recommend it.

@larrygaga Gabriel Garcia Marquez is fantastic.  You've reminded me that I need to re-read Love in the Time of Cholera and One Hundred Years of Solitude.

• Options
    jaygeejay said:

I just read The book Thief and loved it! I highly recommend it! 

Im currently reading the selection series. Just started it, but I've heard good things!
    I loved the Selection series!!! It was so good, really funny at times. And others where you were screaming at the book.
  • Options
    The Other Boleyn Girl

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    Just picked up Marisha Pessl's second novel, Night Film. I loved her first so much and I'm excited about this one!
    eyeroll
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards