Chit Chat
Options

I did a stupid thing, you guys...

I got fed up with my hair, so I went to a new salon. I asked the colorist to color my hair darker, and color it darker she did. Like, really dark. And it looks awful. Instant regret from the moment I saw it. WTF was I thinking?!?! The colorist did exactly what I asked for but the color is totally wrong for me. I'm embarrassed to go out of the house looking like this.

So after I got home (and tried really hard to like it for a few hours) I called the salon to make another appointment to fix it. I explained the issue and begged to get an appointment asap, and the receptionist set up an appointment with a different colorist. I asked the her to book it as a regular appointment instead of a re-do and said that I would be happy to pay full price, since this was my fault and not the colorist's, but she insisted that they won't charge for it. I feel really bad having another colorist spend a bunch of time doing my hair and not getting paid for it. If they insist on not charging me for it, would it be weird to tip the amount that I would have been charged for the appointment? I feel weird about stuffing $150+ into a little envelope and handing it to the receptionist.

So I guess that's my FWP for the day. Feel free to cheer me up with puppy gifs.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: I did a stupid thing, you guys...

• Options
    It can't be that bad. Can we see?

Also if you wash your hair with Head and Shoulders and let it sit for a few minutes, it'll lighten the color.

• Options
    At the very least, I'd tip based on what you would be charged. I don't know that you need to tip $150.
  • Options
    I agree, only tip on what it would be, not the full amount. I do think you should give it a few days to lighten a bit and see if it grows on you.
  • Options
    I'm sorry! Maybe it's just a lot darker than you expected, and after sleeping on it it'll grow on you?

My mom accidentally dyed hers orange one time. She was too embarrassed to call her normal salon, so she called another one. They made it worse! Her normal salon fixed her, haha, but she hasn't dyed her hair since.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    Is it like way super darker? I always freak out for a second when I get my hair colored, but then I give it a couple washes and it turns out a bit lighter. That first week is usually kind of a shock when I look in the mirror, but then it's right back to, "Oh yeah. That's my hair."
  • Options
    I imagine that the salon is paying the colorist. Especially since it's not the person who did your intial color. I would tip 25% on the price of what the service should be.

I'm on mobile so can't gif for you.

• Options
    blabla89blabla89 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 2015
    It can't be that bad. Can we see? Also if you wash your hair with Head and Shoulders and let it sit for a few minutes, it'll lighten the color.
    Here's the before and after. (Please forgive how sloppy I look. It's been a long day and I'm bad at taking selfies.)

imageimage

It was darker, but I scrubbed it with every kind of shampoo I had on hand and then with dish soap and that helped a little bit.

ETA WTF why are they sideways? Argghhh...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I love it dark!! But if you get/got it fixed, I'd tip on the original amount the service would normally be. That's just me though.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    Girl. I love it! I think it looks classic and elegant! It's a fantastic color for you.

I can see how you'd be a little ... weirded out with it, for lack of a better term, though. It's definitely a lot darker than what you're used to. How long have you been your previous color?

At any rate I think it looks fantastic. If you still hate it then definitely change it, but I think it's beautiful.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    Thanks guys, you've definitely made me feel better about it. I've never had it this dark before so I think part of it is just the shock. I'm going to try to rock it at work tomorrow instead of hiding it in a bun with a head scarf. Who knows, maybe I'll decide I like it enough to keep it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I love it! I would tip the amount you wouldve if you were paying plus 5-10 bucks but not more than that. But I think it looks gorgeous dark- and nice for the winter!

• Options
    I really love it.
    I'm always a little freaked the first couple of days after I color.
    I think you should wait, because it's really flattering to you.
  • Options
    ..Is it bad that I like it better? I think it is super flattering on you!
  • Options
    If you had highlights under the dark color they'll likely start to show through very soon. That always happens when I go a bit darker.

----

fka dallasbetch 

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Options
    It looks so good on you!  When I used to dye my hair and I went more than a few shades away from my current color, it always took a few days to stop being so jarring when I looked in the mirror.  Maybe give it some time and it'll grow on you.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I think the color looks great on you! I agree with @Gustafson28 that I actually like it better than the before color.

I've colored my hair so many times I'm not even sure I remember what my natural color is anymore and sometimes it took awhile for me to adjust to the new color, especially the first time I went really dark and the first time I went really blonde. Like PPs, I suggest giving it a day or two before really freaking out.

However, I totally sympathize with the horrible feeling of truly hating your hair. I once had a stylist give me these really, really horrible highlights. I was convincing myself to be okay with it at the salon but when I got home and looked in the mirror I just broke down crying. I did end up scheduling another appointment to have it fixed that time.

• Options
    I think you look great! Maybe you just need to get use to it?
  • Options
    Add me to the chorus of that color looks great on you.

Anniversary
  • Options
    You look amazing with the dark hair. I'd at least give it a day or two before you have them change it.
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    To be fair, I think it looks stunning on you. But I understand the shock, it can feel so weird to do something drastically different at first.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    lc07 said:
    I imagine that the salon is paying the colorist. Especially since it's not the person who did your intial color. I would tip 25% on the price of what the service should be.

I'm on mobile so can't gif for you.

Yeah, I doubt the actual colorist is not getting paid.  
    Add me to the "I like it dark" team.  I almost spat out my tea at reading $150, though. 
  • Options
    If you had highlights under the dark color they'll likely start to show through very soon. That always happens when I go a bit darker.
    This will happen, though I can't tell from your "before" picture if there are highlights in there.

I personally love it, I just wish she added more dimension (it's hard to tell with the selfie).

The other option would be to add low lights (to create that dimension). But at this point you made such a heavy/dark deposit on your hair I wouldn't touch it for a couple weeks. Trying to lift the dark color out of your hair so soon after depositing it will only damage your hair. If you still don't like it, start conditioning it like crazy for a week and then go to the salon. 

imageimage

• Options
    If you wash your hair with dawn dish soap it will lighten the color...but make sure you condition after!

I agree with PP though, it's not the wrong color for you- you just aren't used to it yet ;)
  • Options
    I do not color. But sometimes sis does, and cousin who models does a lot. The family beauties.
    They say , when you want to lift excessive dye, the first thing that comes to mind is wash it so it fades. But then the shampoos break down hair quality.

A clear or neutral oil, warmed and rubbed through your hair, then dripping greasy, effectively a hot oil treatment, then rinsed and left overnightbefore shampooing, also fades color. The oil saturates the hair, and some of dye is released into the oil them goes with warm water rinse and next shampooing.

Like using cold cream to remove makeup instead of drying soaps and cleansers.
    They use cold cream with no additives, mineral oil, or baby oil not conditioners with unknown stuff.

They will fade a dye in a couple of treatments and have a softer look with hair in great condition.

Traveling for work, they cannot depend on consistently getting a great colorist, and oops happen.
  • Options
    Add me to the list of people who love the new color! I think you look stunning. Plus, it'll fade, and as PP said, the highlights will start to show through. 
  • Options
    I love the darker look! And like a PP mentioned, if you had highlights in your hair before, they will start to pop up and add more dimension in about a week. 

I do understand the shock. I actually had my hair dyed this weekend. I had been keeping it "natural" which is red with more orange-y tones and blonde and brown coloring mixed in. I went full on dark auburn. Even though I love it, it is still weird looking in the mirror and not seeing my old hair.

If you really can't love/llike it. I wouldn't pay for thew whole service but tip a little more than usual.

• Options
    I love it! 

I went that dark (almost black) last November and every time I passed a mirror I would weep a little. It eventually grew on me and I find that the darker colors fade a lot faster than when I go lighter. 

• Options
    Your hair is adorable! I can see how it would be a startling change but it looks great.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards