Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

who gets married first

My two sons got engaged at the same time

Re: who gets married first

• Options
    Whoever wants to get married first? I don't understand the question. As long as they're not getting married on the same day (preferably not on the same weekend) this does not matter at all.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Whoever picks the date first?

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Each one, with their respective FI's, sets the date that works best for them. There is no rule that the older one has to marry first.
  • Options

As long as they don't get married on the same day, it doesn't matter who gets married when. Both couples should check their VIPs schedules (and their own of course) and then pick a date that works for them. No need to worry about who goes first.

• Options
    There is only one etiquette-approved way to settle this:
    Or a great alternative and cheaper than going to outer space:

• Options
    thanks for your answers ,helped a little but heres my next queston, should it be within the same year and only a few months apart
  • Options

It's entirely up to your sons and their fiancees. If they want to get married two months or two years apart it doesn't matter.

• Options
    lovegood90lovegood90 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 2015
    thanks for your answers ,helped a little but heres my next queston, should it be within the same year and only a few months apart

Whatever they want. As long as it's not the same day there are no rules. However it is a courtesy to check with VIPs to make sure they'll be able to make the wedding if it requires travel. Ie, if Son 1 gets married first then Son 2 gets married a month later and both weddings require travel for their VIPs, did he check with his VIPs first that they'd be able to make another trip?

ETA: agree with PPs that they need to handle this for themselves, I would just stay out of it.

Formerly martha1818

• Options
    It literally does not matter. They could get married a week apart if they wanted to. As long as it's not the same day (and, as I said, preferably not the same weekend), it doesn't matter. At all. Each of their respective wedding dates has nothing to do with the other.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    levioosalevioosa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2015
    Each couple only gets one day, so it really doesn't matter.  That being said, of course they need to check with their VIPs to make sure the dates work for them too.  But it doesn't matter if it is in the same month, or a year later since each couple only gets the one day.  No one is stealing anyone else's thunder. 

This is probably something you should stay out of unless you have decided you would like to contribute but cannot financially do so at the same time.  You are also not required to contribute anything.  The only people responsible to pay and plan for a wedding are your sons and their FI's.

But really, it doesn't matter and you shouldn't be pressuring them on dates (aside from letting them know the dates that work for you once they ask).  It might be a completely moot point since what works for one couple (say a six month engagement) might not work for the other couple (who might want a two year engagement).  I think you're overstepping a little in trying to figure any of this out (with the exception that you might be contributing--once again, NOT required of you). 

• Options
    geeze thanks a whole lot, but you didnt
  • Options
    Great answer thankyou very much
  • Options
    OP I think if you make your concerns a little more clear the ladies here can "help you" . You say they werent "helpful" but they definitely answered your questions. What is it that you're confused about? Are you helping to pay for the wedding and concerned about having the events too close for financial reasons? Are you traveling to the weddings so you are worried about not being able to make both if they are on the same weeekend? What exactly is the "issue" here?
  • Options
    Certainly there used to be a rule that younger sisters couldn't marry before their older sisters. But AFAIK that never applied to men, and it doesn't apply today regardless.

Powers  &8^]

• Options
    This is something you should let your sons and their FIs work out among themselves. 
  • Options
    When do your sons and their FI's want to get married?
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Options
    Why is the quote button so hard for people to figure out lately?
    I don't know. Sad face.

• Options
    My sister and I got married 30 days apart. It does not matter who gets married first, or the time in between as long as it works for all the VIPs involved. 

Unless you have concerns specifically - like you are contributing to both weddings and can't afford to do so within a certain timeframe or you an't afford to travel out of town for weddings with a specific timeframe - then it really doesn't matter.

Are your sons arguing about this or are you just borrowing trouble?
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    Etiquette wise, they can get married whenever they want. And further, etiquette wise, they should respect whatever the other chooses. 

So if Son A chooses to get married June 5th and Son B chooses to get married June 19th, both need to respect that the other only gets one day. Not one month, not one year. One day. It doesn't matter if the weddings are a week apart, 6 months apart, or 2 years apart. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    The only thing I'd state to your kids is that if YOU are planning to make any kind of contribution, you should talk to them in advance about any strings that contribution has.

Example: If you would like to give each child $1000 but you can only afford to do so if the weddings are 6 mo apart, you need to spell that out.

Are any talking about where they'd like to be married?   Are any planning destination weddings? 
  • Options
    My brother got married 3 months before we did. No big deal.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards