Wedding Recap and Withdrawal
Options

What did you do with your dress?

Now that the wedding and AHR are over, sadly there's nowhere else to wear my beautiful dress! Just wondering what you ladies have done with yours.... preserved it? Sold it? Used the material to make something else? I'm thinking that if I preserve it it'll just sit in a box in my attic. And I'm a petite size 0/2 so not sure how likely it'll be that a possilbe future daughter could wear it. Any suggestions?!

Re: What did you do with your dress?

• Options
    I just had my dress cleaned and preserved, so hopefully one of myfuture daughters or grandaughters will wear it. Other than that, they could use some of the lace off of the dress and incorporate it somehow in their dress.I'm with you, I don't think I'll find another bride who is my exact size to wear it.
    Joseph Michael - 12/22/2010
    5lbs 9 oz, 18.5 inches long
    6 months: 16lbs 15 oz, 27 inches long

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I'm currently trying to sell it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I'm kind of ashamed to admit this, but it's been almost 9 months since our wedding and my dress is still laying in a pile inside the garment bag, dirt and all.  I just don't want to pay $200 or more to dryclean and preserve it (because I can think of more important things to spend that money on lol).  I might attempt to wash it myself and then store it in an acid free box.  I doubt I would have success selling it since it's not a very popular size or style, and part of me would like to hold on to it for sentimental reasons anyway.  So in the closet it stays lol.
    BFP #1 Sept. 2011 EDD 5.25.12 missed MC on 11.17.11 | BFP #2 4.30.12 11dpo EDD 1.10.13 | Grow, baby, grow!
    01.03.09 {MARRIED BIO}
    imageimageimagePregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I cleaned it myself (lace, tulle, beading & all) and am selling it.  I'm storing it in an unbleached cotton hanging garment bag wrapped in acid-free paper.  I had originally wanted to keep it but after finding out how much it cost to have it cleaned & preserved I decided that it wasn't that important to me - we also don't really have room to store it and I'm not delusional enough to belief that my daughter/granddaughter is going to want to wear my dress.  That being said I really wish my grandmother would have preserved her dress better, it was gorgeous & I would have loved to have used part of it for my dress.
  • Options
    This might sound crazy to some of you, but if you have any daughters or granddaughters - don't be surprised if they want to 'play' with your dress.  We did that with my mom's and my grandmothers.  Actually we just got it out and tried it on with mom nearby.  Shortly after she became engaged, one of my sisters actually tried it on and posed in it - both my mom & her knew she wouldn't wear it - but she just tried it on.  It's still a beautiful memory.  My sisters dress - actually got played in many times by my nieces.  So - if for any other reason to keep it - keep it for the memories that you will make someday with your daughters.  Yeah - highly unlikely that she will wear it on her wedding day - but she might just want to try it on just for the heck of it.
  • Options
    Anyone have suggestions on where to get an acid free box for storage?
  • Options
    There are many sites online that sell acid free boxes.  I can't recommend a specific one but if you google, you'll find a bunch.
    BFP #1 Sept. 2011 EDD 5.25.12 missed MC on 11.17.11 | BFP #2 4.30.12 11dpo EDD 1.10.13 | Grow, baby, grow!
    01.03.09 {MARRIED BIO}
    imageimageimagePregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Try the container store, that's where I got mine.  They also have acid-free tissue paper to help shape & store your gown.
  • Options
    Thank you, ladies, for sharing your insights. I'm convinced to save my dress for the memories - and I've realized I'm just a big sentimental nerd at heart and can't bear to part with it. lol!  ellinger84, how did you wash/dry your dress? The DIY wash & preserve sounds like the way to go. I'd rather spend the money on something else as well.
  • Options
    I am having my dress turned into some sexy lingerie. :D
  • Options
    Thats is such a good idea especially if it has a detailed bust!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards