Chit Chat
Options

40/40 challenge ~ First Friday Check-in

Re: 40/40 challenge ~ First Friday Check-in

• Options
    edited February 2015
    I was exhausted from throwing away remote controls, but I DID get all my tax stuff organized and ready to turn in Monday to my CPA and I went through the "TO Be Filed" box on my desk.  I threw most of it away. I am now drinking a beer and reveling in my ability to get things done.  I really do love this thread -thanks for getting it -and me-going!
  • Options
    Cleaning/de-cluttering is my summer job, cos I have time to do it.  But I did get my RRSP's topped up for the year and opened a TFSA in place of my regular savings account.  I'll take that this weekend.  

I really want to do the mud room closets though.  DH is the biggest clothes horse I have ever met and 3/4 of that closet is his stuff that he never wears anymore.  

• Options
    Cleaning/de-cluttering is my summer job, cos I have time to do it.  But I did get my RRSP's topped up for the year and opened a TFSA in place of my regular savings account.  I'll take that this weekend.  

I really want to do the mud room closets though.  DH is the biggest clothes horse I have ever met and 3/4 of that closet is his stuff that he never wears anymore.  
    This x 1000

DH has way more clothes then I have.  Yet some how I see the same 3 shirts for 6 months.  That is until he buys 4-5 more shirts and those get pushed aside.   He find 3 of those 5 to wear all the time. Ever 6 months, rinse and repeat.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    lyndausvi said:

This x 1000

DH has way more clothes then I have.  Yet some how I see the same 3 shirts for 6 months.  That is until he buys 4-5 more shirts and those get pushed aside.   He find 3 of those 5 to wear all the time. Ever 6 months, rinse and repeat.
    Yup.  And he keeps buying the same stuff.  But he claims it's all different cos one long sleeve button down shirt and buttons and the other has snaps.  He has also brought home the exact same shirt he already owns.  At least he takes those back once I point it out.  

• Options
    Well we hadn't planned on listing the house for about two months but the Realtor decided let's do it in two weeks before we leave for Europe. Aaah. So today we filled 3 huge plastic totes of clothes and kitchen stuff. Brought them DHs parent's house so that our closets and cabinets look bigger and unfull. Then we filled a huge contractor garbage bag worth of donate and one worth of garbage. Woo its only been a day! Determine to get this list-ready :)

• Options
    I got inspired as well, and cleaned out and organized the kitchen cupboards.

I really need to start on the basement, but my back is just not up to moving furniture. So small steps for now, and I'll tackle The Room Of Requirement later.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    A big YES to Winstonsgirl!  My DSO has turned a bedroom into a closet-racks and everything!  Is it because Men's fashion styles don't change as often as women's? ....but he still has like 4 old one piece snow skiing suits that no one will ever wear again...bet if they were gone he wouldn't notice?  HAH!  I, however, love getting rid of clothing.
  • Options
    Inspired by @amelisha I started cleaning the grout today. Only finished the bathroom and 1/4 of the kitchen before my knees needed a break, but hey, it's a start.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I'm going to tackle the bathroom cabinets today (throwing away all the 3+ year old sunless tanner, bottles of shampoo formulated for hair colors I don't have anymore, and FORTHELOVEOFGOD why do I have so many scented lotions? And hopefully at least start the one major junk pile in the spare room, that's stacked with boxes of picture frames I never unpacked. 

• Options
    FI's mom, who recently passed, had 3 brass trivets that we now have in our house that are just gross. Today's project is polishing them.

I'm going to need a lot of paper towels!!!!
  • Options
    rcher912 said:
    FI's mom, who recently passed, had 3 brass trivets that we now have in our house that are just gross. Today's project is polishing them.

I'm going to need a lot of paper towels!!!!
    I prefer using an old t-shirt or pillow case.    It stands up to the polish and movement way better.  Plus the don't leave lint.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    ashley8918ashley8918 member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2015
    Goodbye, crap-overloaded nightstand!

• Options
    I'm going to tackle the bathroom cabinets today (throwing away all the 3+ year old sunless tanner, bottles of shampoo formulated for hair colors I don't have anymore, and FORTHELOVEOFGOD why do I have so many scented lotions? And hopefully at least start the one major junk pile in the spare room, that's stacked with boxes of picture frames I never unpacked. 
    Ah yes, the graveyard of personal products. I keep all the products I don't use regularly in a plastic tub in the linen closet. It's probably time to just dump the whole thing...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    blabla89 said:
    Ah yes, the graveyard of personal products. I keep all the products I don't use regularly in a plastic tub in the linen closet. It's probably time to just dump the whole thing...
    Yeah, and I'm likely to find medicine that expired in 2009.
  • Options
    Holy fucking shit you guys. Be careful to look inside pockets of things before you ditch them. The closet that I cleaned out yesterday had an old purse that I threw out. I shot awake in bed at 6am today having a heart attack because the little zipper pocket had a $2,000 diamond bracelet in it (a gift from my mom). I jumped out of bed and rummaged through the garbage and recovered it. I'm a weirdo about hiding valuable items and not just leaving them in plain sight, so that if anyone broke into my house they wouldn't find it just sitting out. Wow that was so close- I've been meaning to get it insured which I will now, and I'll be finding a better place to keep these things, like you know, a fucking safe or something. 

• Options
    jenna8984 said:

Holy fucking shit you guys. Be careful to look inside pockets of things before you ditch them. The closet that I cleaned out yesterday had an old purse that I threw out. I shot awake in bed at 6am today having a heart attack because the little zipper pocket had a $2,000 diamond bracelet in it (a gift from my mom). I jumped out of bed and rummaged through the garbage and recovered it. I'm a weirdo about hiding valuable items and not just leaving them in plain sight, so that if anyone broke into my house they wouldn't find it just sitting out. Wow that was so close- I've been meaning to get it insured which I will now, and I'll be finding a better place to keep these things, like you know, a fucking safe or something. 

Gurl. Seriously, get a better storage spot! Holy crap. There are like a hundred options beside plain sight and hidden in a crappy purse.

• Options
    lc07 said:
    blabla89 said:
    Yeah, and I'm likely to find medicine that expired in 2009.
    yep

• Options
    Gurl. Seriously, get a better storage spot! Holy crap. There are like a hundred options beside plain sight and hidden in a crappy purse.
    At least make it a nice purse you plan to keep!!!! Yikes. I know what you mean, though, about not wanting that ish in plain sight. My FI's grandmother's engagement ring (which was supposed to be mine eventually, per his mother) was stolen when someone broke into their house a few years back. They were both devastated.
  • Options
    ashley8918ashley8918 member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2015

ashley8918 said:
    Alright, folks. I have my list. Posting for accountability - if I told the internet about it, I can't NOT do it.

Bathroom: Closet floor
    Bathroom: Closet shelves
    Bathroom: Floor
    Bathroom: Under sink/vanity

Bedroom: Behind TV dresser DONE
    Bedroom: Closet Whoooooooo! DONE!
    Bedroom: Dan's dresser DONE
    Bedroom: Floor
    Bedroom: My dresser DONE
    Bedroom: Nightstands DONE
    Bedroom: TV dresser DONE
    Bedroom: Under my bed
    Bedroom: Scentsy shelves

Dining Room: Art supplies dresser
    Dining Room: Dan's exercise shit
    Dining Room: Floor

Kid's Room: Closet
    Kid's Room: Floor
    Kid's Room: Toy box
    Kid's Room: Under/behind Ry's bed

Kitchen: "Pantry" cabinets
    Kitchen: Above stove cabinets
    Kitchen: Bottom kitchen cabinets
    Kitchen: Breakfast bar cabinets
    Kitchen: Countertops
    Kitchen: Dishes top cabinets
    Kitchen: Floor
    Kitchen: Fridge & freezer
    Kitchen: Top of fridge & above fridge cabinets

Laundry Room: Shelves

Living Room: Chrismas tree corner
    Living Room: Coat closet
    Living Room: Computer desk
    Living Room: Left bookshelf
    Living Room: Loveseat
    Living Room: My "crap corner"
    Living Room: Right bookshelf
    Living Room: TV stand area
    Living Room: Under/behind couch

======================================================

Don't mind me. Just keeping track.
  • Options
    I only allow myself to have a certain number of magazines from Food Network, so when a new month comes, I take the oldest, rip out the recipes and articles I want to scan so I can save them permanently and recycle the rest of it (and the torn pages once scanned).

Today I got through 3 months worth of scans so my pile is now gone from the living room!

Yay!

The next challenge is to get them digitally sorted / filed but this was a good first step.
  • Options
    Copying @ashley8918 and posting my list here so I will shame myself into doing this shit.

Kitchen: Cabinet under the sink Done!
    Kitchen: Pantry (4 shelves)
    Kitchen: Baking supply drawers (3)
    Kitchen: Cabinets above stove
    Kitchen: Spice cabinet
    Kitchen: Cabinet above fridge
    Kitchen: Shelf above fridge
    Kitchen: Fridge

Coat Closet: Top shelves
    Coat Closet: Coats/Hangers
    Coat Closet: Bottom/Cubes
    Coat Closet: Purses

Desk: Printer stand drawers
    Desk: Printer stand junk corner
    Desk: Top drawer
    Desk: Bottom drawer
    Desk: "In" and "Out" boxes
    Desk: Surface

Bathroom: Bottom drawer
    Bathroom: Top drawer
    Bathroom: Counter
    Bathroom: Shower and shelves

Bedroom: Night stand
    Bedroom: Jewelry box
    Bedroom: Shoe rack
    Bedroom: Shoe baskets
    Bedroom: Underbed

Bedroom closet: Boxes in the bottom of closet
    Bedroom closet: Low rod (shirts)
    Bedroom closet: High rod (work clothes/dresses)
    Bedroom closet: Workout clothes
    Bedroom closet: Jeans
    Bedroom closet: T-shirts
    Bedroom closet: Socks
    Bedroom closet: Tights/stockings/leggings

I'm doing real bad with this... Hopefully I'll get caught up with a couple today!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options

@ashley8918‌ you are KILLING IT.

I am a damn cleaning MACHINE this week. I am so pleased with myself right now.

But, as you may have noticed, I have been sticking to the bedroom so far. Which happened to already be te cleanest part of the house. Ahem.
  • Options

Ha, I hadn't heard of this, but just read the challenge out to slothieguy.  He looked at me with horror and said, "Forty days of decluttering?  We won't have any shit left."  One perk to living in a space the size of a postage stamp, I suppose.

This is me and Feeley too- tiny space. We only moved in about 4 months ago and were careful about what we brought In. That's why I'm not doing the exact challenge but I am going to be cleaning up the disorganized parts of the house. Kinda been doing that all along but the longer I live here the more I find better ways to store and arrange things.
  • Options
    Um we have prospective buyers coming to our house on Tuesday. It's not even listed yet but our agent might have a buyer. COMMENCE PANIC MODE.

Can I get a Home Alone scream gif up in here?

• Options
    Um we have prospective buyers coming to our house on Tuesday. It's not even listed yet but our agent might have a buyer. COMMENCE PANIC MODE. Can I get a Home Alone scream gif up in here?
    imageimage
  • Options
    So I'm behind the times but I'm joining in on the fun. We just moved into our house a few months ago and generally tried to declutter BEFORE the move, but I have this annoying habit of having several boxes of *stuff* that have always kind of just lived in my office and going through them is, apparently, the most unappealable thing in the world! as they have now survived two moves (one of which involved everything I owned living in a 5x5 storage unit for 3 months).
    I also have four years worth of paper notes from school. Since I graduated (almost two years ago), my goal has been to go through each class, type the notes up and summarize them (good review!), then chunk the main notes. The problem is we are talking a four drawer filing cabinet FULL OF KNOWLEDGE. It's so overwhelming I've barely touched it.
    Anyways so tonight I made my list and there is one day for each of the 12 (TWELVE!) random boxes of crap in my (um... Our) office, and one day each for 10 classes (I purposefully picked out small, interesting classes: going through some of those big files is like a 5 hour job). Also the car, the purse, and the nightstand, which all live in a constant state of disarray.
    Obviously I'm behind a bit, so I did three today! 1. Garbage. I emptied all the garbage cans. 2. First school folder. 3. I decluttered my computers desktop and got rid of/updated a bunch of files. This is way more impressive when you realize I bought this computer in June 2006 and have used it exclusively through 7 years of college. BOOM.
  • Options
    I wish you guys would come over and sit and drink wine with me while I organize. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards