Chit Chat
Options

100 ounces of water

So for lent this year I decided that I was going to "give up" my unhealthy habit of not drinking enough...water that it. I could go a whole day and barely drink anything other than my coffee, a glass of sweet tea at supper, and a glass of water at bed. This is so bad for you! I've seen articles circulating the internet about how you should really be drinking close to 100 oz. of water every day. So that's water i'm doing. It is supposed to help your skin, your metabolism, amoung other things.

I went and got a 20 oz. tumbler to use. I have realized it is easier to drink more if I don't have to get up as often to refill a small tumbler. I'm really hoping I can stick to it. I'm not giving up my beer or wine but supplementing with water like I should be doing.

Has anyone tired this or do you do it? 

Did y'all give up something for lent?

Re: 100 ounces of water

• Options
    I've been trying to drink more water too for the health benefits. However, I heard to aim for 1/2 your body weight in oz. I feel like a basically live in the bathroom now.
  • Options
    I'm lucky in that I really enjoy water. I drink on average more than 100 oz of water a day.

Lately I slice up limes and I squeeze those into my water. It helps to give a little flavor when I do get bored with the taste. I keep a small container of them at work in the fridge. 
  • Options
    I have a nalgene bottle at work that I fill up twice a day. It's 32oz so at work I go through about 64oz and then I have another 32 when I get home. I agree that having a large bottle makes it easier. I've always stuck to just drinking water though so it's never really been difficult for me. 

I know some people like to add fruit or lemon to flavor their water more. I don't think water tastes like anything, but it doesn't taste bad. I'd rather have plain water than watered down fruit flavor. Just my preference though :) It's something to consider though if you're more likely to drink if it has a flavor. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    That's a lot of water. I think I'd float everywhere. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • Options
    I have a bigger water bottle at work. Helps to not have to remember to go fill it. When I first started trying to drink more water I was happy when I drank one in the day. Now I drink 4. 2 in the morning, 2 in the afternoon.

I find its easier to ease into the water drinking, don't start off expecting to be able to drink the entire amount the first day. Be prepared to have to pee all the time.

You can 'spice up' your water with fruits if you find water boring. I usually do slices of cucumber or lemon.
  • Options
    I've been trying to drink more water too! Having a large water bottle absolutely helps. I also downloaded an app that pings every so often to remind you to take a drink. Which sounds ridiculous but honestly sometimes I would just forget my water was sitting there.

• Options
    I bought a big, cute plastic tumbler with a straw, and as silly as it sounds, having a cup that I really liked helped a lot. Until I started filling it with iced coffee, that is...

My problem is that I get focused on work (let's be real, I get focused on knotting at work) and completely forget to drink anything unless I'm feeling thirsty.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Inkdancer said:
    That's a lot of water. I think I'd float everywhere. 

Or be constantly in the bathroom.

Whenever I do go on my water kicks, I do feel better. I just love Diet Coke too much.

• Options
    Being well-hydrated is great and all but that whole at least eight glasses a day thing has been pretty firmly debunked. A healthy diet provides lots of water from your food too, and no one's really sure where that huge recommendation originated anyway. You totally don't have to drink that much water if you don't want to. Honestly.

That said, I do drink quite a lot of water because I love salt and am consequently always thirsty, and I love True Lemon and True Lime packets in it. They're crystallized citrus with nothing added, no sweetener, and contain the citrus oil, so they taste exactly like fresh (and way better than those gross concentrates), are super convenient, and are pretty well calorie free. Recommended.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I drink a lot of water. I easily refill my 16 oz. mug 5 or 6 times a day at work. Then I drink more when I get home. The only downside is how often I have to go to the bathroom!
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    amelisha said:
    Being well-hydrated is great and all but that whole at least eight glasses a day thing has been pretty firmly debunked. A healthy diet provides lots of water from your food too, and no one's really sure where that huge recommendation originated anyway. You totally don't have to drink that much water if you don't want to. Honestly.

That said, I do drink quite a lot of water because I love salt and am consequently always thirsty, and I love True Lemon and True Lime packets in it. They're crystallized citrus with nothing added, no sweetener, and contain the citrus oil, so they taste exactly like fresh (and way better than those gross concentrates), are super convenient, and are pretty well calorie free. Recommended.
    I've read this as well and even that recommendation was for about 64 oz, I believe, so 100 is a heck of a lot and surely more than you need.

That being said, I drink a ton of water, probably upwards of 2L a day, and I do like the way it makes me feel. I generally keep a pint glass at my desk and refill it constantly. I also try to remember to bring water in a refillable bottle from home when I go out, as I always, always get thirsty in stores and such. But I definitely wouldn't feel bad if you find 100oz a bit out of reach.
  • Options
    I find that the big cups with straws work better for me than a bottle (for whatever reason). I have a 20 oz one that I keep on my desk and I refill it many times a day.

I always drink a ton of water and I feel crappy when I don't.
  • Options
    You guys, I've peed like 3 times since 8 am. This is almost torture.

Even if I don't make it to the full 100 ounces, I think it is important for me to have a goal to motivate me because I really to do it

• Options
    I'm trying really hard to drink more water, especially now. It's HARD at work when I get so busy I can't refill it. (I have a 16oz cup) Good luck!!

I gave up alcohol, >200mg of caffeine, aspirin, sudafed, prepared deli salads, cold luncheon meats, undercooked meats, seafoods and eggs. ;)
    Same!  My problem is having to pee every 10 minutes along with refilling.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I think I easily hit 100 oz a day, if not more.  I love water, and I drink a crazy amount of tea.  I don't get people who hate water.  How can you hate water? 

• Options
    emmaaa said:
    You guys, I've peed like 3 times since 8 am. This is almost torture.

Even if I don't make it to the full 100 ounces, I think it is important for me to have a goal to motivate me because I really to do it
    And I think that's important and awesome. Even if it's not always NECESSARY, it's definitely healthy and not going to hurt you. Water also tends to "crowd out" other foods and beverages so you consume fewer overall calories (especially from sugar) when you drink a lot of it. All great things.

Fun fact: the thirst mechanism is so weak it's often mistaken for hunger, so people eat a snack when they should really just have some water. By the time you feel thirsty, you're almost dehydrated.

• Options
    Couggal12Couggal12 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2015
    I've always drank roughly around a gallon a day of water. My desk is right by a water cooler so I'm constantly filling my water bottle up. The many trips to the bathroom I have to take is not always fun. Especially if an employee comes in to talk to me and I really have to go lol. 

ETA: words
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    I've put myself in the hopsital from dehydration. I live in the desert, you can get dehydrate walking to your car, or just being out, in the world. So I have been trying to make a concentrated effort to swap out one of my sodas/teas/whatever for a water of the same size though out the day. Hospitals are not fun, neither are IVs I don't recommend either.

I'm always drinking...something, so swapping a soda for water is NBD and a healthier option.
  • Options
    I have a 36 oz bottle and put one Crystal Light single serve in it to help me drink the water. I also make myself drink a full 16 oz of water before bed. I have been bad lately but I'm working myself back up to 80-100 oz per day. I don't like water. I tend to drink unsweetened tea or the crystal light to make it go down easier. I figure it's still better than drinking pop!
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    My MIL and cousin swear that it's easier for them to drink a ton of water (cousin is pregnant, MIL is trying to be healthier) if they have a tumbler with a straw....

I have a giant nalgene that I use and have never had a problem drinking tons of water, but maybe that would help you!
  • Options
    I have to keep a weird water balance at work - too much water and I will have to pee when I'm all gowned up for virus work in a no bathroom/must shower before leaving lab, not enough water and the negative air pressure in the lab makes me feel faint. 

I'm trying to cut down on the amount of pop I drink so I've been getting lemon-lime carbonated water. I think it's a pretty good substitute.

Anniversary
  • Options
    MagicInk said:
    I've put myself in the hopsital from dehydration. I live in the desert, you can get dehydrate walking to your car, or just being out, in the world. So I have been trying to make a concentrated effort to swap out one of my sodas/teas/whatever for a water of the same size though out the day. Hospitals are not fun, neither are IVs I don't recommend either.

I'm always drinking...something, so swapping a soda for water is NBD and a healthier option.
    I've been hospitalized for dehydration too.  Not fun at all.

For the most part I only drink water.   Sometimes I will have a sprite or iced tea.  But I'm talking about less than once a week.  

I still don't even drink 100oz.  Way too much for me.  I always have a glass of water around.  I refill it a few times a day, but  I never count how much a drink.   When the glass is empty I get more.  Some days it's more than others depending on my activity level.

I do drink more since we moved up to the mountains.  It's dry here.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    bethsmiles, what app is that?

I just drank my 24 oz tumbler full of water while reading this thread - thanks!

For Lent, I didn't give anything up, but I'm taking things on.  I'm journaling daily and (attempting to) go to Daily Mass every day.  My church has Daily Mass at 12:10 during Lent, so that is helpful.

I also just found this and think it's a cool idea for Lent .... http://prayingincolor.com/tag/lenten-calendar.  And it gave me a good excuse to use my crayons!
  • Options
    I usually drink at least 80 (often more) ounces of water a day - I just keep refilling a large travel mug.  Yes, I do have to pee a lot (H makes fun of me because I get up to pee 2 or 3 times at bed time every night).  But since I started, I get headaches less often. 

And it does do wonders for your skin. My hairdresser commented on how nice my skin was just yesterday.  (I treat myself to the nice salon that gives you a mini-facial or hand and arm massage while they shampoo your hair.)  And generally, people guess my age about 10 years lower than it actually is. Being in my mid 30s, I actually really like that now.
  • Options

I used to be a big coke drinker like 5-6 a day.  Over the past few years I have broke myself of that habit and 90% of the time I drink water and 1 cup of coffee a day.  I did that by setting small goals with it, by telling myself something like "If I drink 12oz of water, I can have a coke" then once that became easy I would up the ounce size, until I got to where I was drinking 64 oz of water a day.

When I got to the point of drinking 64 oz of water a day I realized I preferred it and I wasn't drinking coke as much, and now I'm at the point of drinking one or two a month. (With my biscuit and gravy treats that happen from time to time)

It took me about 2 years to fully break myself from my habit of drinking cokes.  But now that I drink water I feel so much better.

• Options

I am horribly bad at drinking enough water.  And living in a desert, I often get dehydration migraines all summer long. A couple months ago, I even paid for an IV hydration treatment because I figured it was easier than drinking water... but, one saline bag is not even close to enough to get me back to a good hydration level.  

I did really good at increasing my water intake last spring/summer before my wedding.  I had Brita filter bottles at work, my car, and at home.  But, then I started slacking off.  I drink very little water now.  But, I do drink probably 40-60 oz of tea lately.  I have heard that other non-water liquids still count toward hydration.  Non-caffeinated is better, so I do try to drink more herbal teas.  But, I should start trying to increase my actual water intake also. Especially before summer.

• Options
    I've heard the 1/2 body weight in oz rule and the 100oz rule, so I split the difference and try to drink like 80oz of water a day....I have a 32oz bottle I fill 3 times and usually get through 2 of them, the third is the struggle.
  • Options
    My nutritionist taught me not to drink ice cold water. Water should be room temperature or warm. Ice cold water does speed up metabolism but it actually slows down digestion which makes it harder to break down fat. You should also not drink a ton of water while you eat. It's better to get hydrated 20-30 minutes before you eat and then just sip a little water while you eat and don't start drinking lots of water again til about an hour after you eat.
  • Options
    I drink a ton of water. More so now that I'm pregnant, obviously, but even before that as I've not been a soda drinker for years AND it's super dry here in CO so it feel like a necessity. That said, I also pee all.the.time. Like at least hourly. Gives me an excuse to get some steps in, I guess!

As for lent - I'm trying to tackle road rage (again). I have a low tolerance for stupidity on the road and my mouth can get out of hand when driving (in my my car, to myself...never roll down the window and yell at others kind of issue). Soooo, when I'm trying to replace all the "you fucking dumb ass" comments with "I hope that driver has a wonderful day" kind of response. It's hard.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards