Chit Chat
Options

Respond or ignore?

2»

Re: Respond or ignore?

• Options
    @novella1186 what a bunch of fucking twats! Everyone from the lender to the seller!

• Options
    huskypuppy14huskypuppy14 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited March 2015

Also want to add, there is NO SHAME in wanting to work with a good agent. Real estate is a big thing money-wise so no need to fuck around. We made the mistake of working with a brand new agent who really was not good at his job back when we were house hunting. We ended up not buying the house we put an offer on cuz we found out we both might be losing our job. 

Our agent didn't know what to do. Ran to the listing agent for help because they'd known each other forever. Listing agent is a dishonest shark who will cut your throat for $1, and was purposely giving him bad advice to manipulate him into HURTING us to HELP her own client. 

Listing agent then took that info that she shouldn't have had about us, went to our mortgage company, mortgage guy was passing private information on to her, client who owned the house then got that info that should never have been shared, hired a lawyer, and tried to sue us. 

We then hire a lawyer and bitter bitch seller had no case so she had to drop it, but by that point we'd lost $3,000 in legal fees. 

Agents and mortgage company then got investigated by the FTC (I may or may not have tipped them off. Ha.) and were found to be guilty of many many many wrong things. 

Big. Fucking. Dramatic. Mess. 

And months and months of the worst stress. We ended up with no house and lost all that money and went through all that. Ugh. But hey, we realized we weren't even married yet and had just survived a major trauma together so that was good. 

Moral of the story: I wish we had the sense to use an experienced agent, who would have known how to end the deal (our contract had expired because by then so we were free and clear anyway, so that's why bitter bitch couldn't sue us, but our agent failed to catch that), and how to protect us from such a mess, and how to advise us on what to do, and NOT go fucking talking to the listing agent about OUR INFORMATION. The rage. 

Novella, if your mom is a realtor, why didn't she refer you to someone if she couldn't do it herself? 

My mom is also a Realtor, and she is not licensed in the state I live in, so she did the research and found us someone that she thought would do a good job. And on top of that, mom got a referal fee from our agent if we bought a house with her (which we did).

And pretty sure what your agent and mortgage guy did was illegal. Couldn't you sue them for damages?

• Options

kvruns said:

kvruns said:

That was another place we got screwed. The listing agent added a clause to the contract about it, so the earnest money couldn't serve it's purpose. The seller was demanding to keep all the earnest money AND wanted to sue us. We weren't sure what her particular suit would be... if it was to force us to "perform" (go through with buying the house) but there was also some talk between lawyers that she would sue us for her expenses while the house sat back on the market which included mortgage payments (thanks to public records we found out she did not actually owe a mortgage on the house), professional landscapers to take care of the yard (she wasn't living there anymore. Again, thanks to public records I knew she lived in a $750,000 house on a lake in a different town), electric bills and other utilities, and so on and so forth. 

Basically she was a money-hungry bitched and was lying about a lot of things. And again, our real estate agent should have caught that flaw in our contract but he didn't because he was taking advice from THE LISTING AGENT, and was new and bad at his job. 

so weird! When I was selling my house last spring I had a signed contract, earnest money, etc and then the buyers backed out because they were going to be self-paying a bunch of medical expenses and got some bad news and decided they couldn't buy the house after all. My agent was like well you should get to keep the earnest money since they are backing out for no reason (wasn't like inspector found a problem or anything) but at the end of the day if they don't release the earnest money quickly it just means more time the house sits on the market without us being able to really show it to others until it is clear of that contract.

As a seller it sucked because while I ended up getting the earnest money, my house kind of went stale in that 2+ week period from when they agreed to backing out so it looked like it had been on the market longer than it had.  Between having to pay extra mortgage, extra staging, and ending up getting a lower price 2 months later them backing out cost me like $4K but definitely would have never thought of suing!

Yeah she immediately re-listed the house and it sold like a week later, for more than what we were going to pay for it. I think that's another reason her case fell apart. There was pretty much nothing to sue us for. Our real estate attorney thought she was being fucking ridiculous but what are ya gonna do. 
    If you had an attorney, did he not see the contract? In Massachusetts it's a two step process, one is the offer, and then the purchase and sale agreement. Both the seller and the buyer have to have their own attorney to look over the purchase and sale agreement so neither is screwed. I know different states have different rules, but these people you had to deal with all sound like clowns with bad ethics.

• Options

Also want to add, there is NO SHAME in wanting to work with a good agent. Real estate is a big thing money-wise so no need to fuck around. We made the mistake of working with a brand new agent who really was not good at his job back when we were house hunting. We ended up not buying the house we put an offer on cuz we found out we both might be losing our job. 

Our agent didn't know what to do. Ran to the listing agent for help because they'd known each other forever. Listing agent is a dishonest shark who will cut your throat for $1, and was purposely giving him bad advice to manipulate him into HURTING us to HELP her own client. 

Listing agent then took that info that she shouldn't have had about us, went to our mortgage company, mortgage guy was passing private information on to her, client who owned the house then got that info that should never have been shared, hired a lawyer, and tried to sue us. 

We then hire a lawyer and bitter bitch seller had no case so she had to drop it, but by that point we'd lost $3,000 in legal fees. 

Agents and mortgage company then got investigated by the FTC (I may or may not have tipped them off. Ha.) and were found to be guilty of many many many wrong things. 

Big. Fucking. Dramatic. Mess. 

And months and months of the worst stress. We ended up with no house and lost all that money and went through all that. Ugh. But hey, we realized we weren't even married yet and had just survived a major trauma together so that was good. 

Moral of the story: I wish we had the sense to use an experienced agent, who would have known how to end the deal (our contract had expired because by then so we were free and clear anyway, so that's why bitter bitch couldn't sue us, but our agent failed to catch that), and how to protect us from such a mess, and how to advise us on what to do, and NOT go fucking talking to the listing agent about OUR INFORMATION. The rage. 

Novella, if your mom is a realtor, why didn't she refer you to someone if she couldn't do it herself? 

My mom is also a Realtor, and she is not licensed in the state I live in, so she did the research and found us someone that she thought would do a good job. And on top of that, mom got a referal fee from our agent if we bought a house with her (which we did).

And pretty sure what your agent and mortgage guy did was illegal. Couldn't you sue them for damages?
    That was mistake #1. My mom didn't know any agents in the area and I told her NOT to do a referral because we're "adults" and can do it all on our own cuz we're so smart and know things. Laughing at my dumbass self for that one. 

And yeah, three different lawyers told me I could sue for damages, but there's never a guarantee we would win, and then we're buried in legal fees. Not to mention the countless hours I put into collecting documents and evidence just to NOT get sued by the fucking seller that I was way too exhausted to think about going through that process for my own lawsuit. The statute of limitations isn't up and I feel like if I weren't planning a wedding and kind of broke I would just go for it, but it's a lot to deal with. 
  • Options

kvruns said:

kvruns said:

That was another place we got screwed. The listing agent added a clause to the contract about it, so the earnest money couldn't serve it's purpose. The seller was demanding to keep all the earnest money AND wanted to sue us. We weren't sure what her particular suit would be... if it was to force us to "perform" (go through with buying the house) but there was also some talk between lawyers that she would sue us for her expenses while the house sat back on the market which included mortgage payments (thanks to public records we found out she did not actually owe a mortgage on the house), professional landscapers to take care of the yard (she wasn't living there anymore. Again, thanks to public records I knew she lived in a $750,000 house on a lake in a different town), electric bills and other utilities, and so on and so forth. 

Basically she was a money-hungry bitched and was lying about a lot of things. And again, our real estate agent should have caught that flaw in our contract but he didn't because he was taking advice from THE LISTING AGENT, and was new and bad at his job. 

so weird! When I was selling my house last spring I had a signed contract, earnest money, etc and then the buyers backed out because they were going to be self-paying a bunch of medical expenses and got some bad news and decided they couldn't buy the house after all. My agent was like well you should get to keep the earnest money since they are backing out for no reason (wasn't like inspector found a problem or anything) but at the end of the day if they don't release the earnest money quickly it just means more time the house sits on the market without us being able to really show it to others until it is clear of that contract.

As a seller it sucked because while I ended up getting the earnest money, my house kind of went stale in that 2+ week period from when they agreed to backing out so it looked like it had been on the market longer than it had.  Between having to pay extra mortgage, extra staging, and ending up getting a lower price 2 months later them backing out cost me like $4K but definitely would have never thought of suing!

Yeah she immediately re-listed the house and it sold like a week later, for more than what we were going to pay for it. I think that's another reason her case fell apart. There was pretty much nothing to sue us for. Our real estate attorney thought she was being fucking ridiculous but what are ya gonna do. 
    If you had an attorney, did he not see the contract? In Massachusetts it's a two step process, one is the offer, and then the purchase and sale agreement. Both the seller and the buyer have to have their own attorney to look over the purchase and sale agreement so neither is screwed. I know different states have different rules, but these people you had to deal with all sound like clowns with bad ethics.
    There's only a few states that use attorneys.  I'm a real estate broker and have been licensed in 3 states (CA, IL, and CO)  IL used attorneys, the others do not.  Actually even in IL, it depends where.  In Chicago you use an attorney, but I understand down in southern IL you don't.

Anyway, to OP, there is absolutely NO reason to respond to her request for "why?".  My guess is she's an older lady who thought it would be "fun" to be a real estate agent, yes?  There's a lot of those running around, and they get very emotionally involved in their transactions.  So when something happens like you deciding to go with someone else, they take it VERY personally.  Just ignore her and move on.  Or, you could be honest with her and actually spell out what you didn't like, that may help her adjust her way of doing things, but more than likely it would just make her cry and get upset.
    Married 9.12.15
  • Options
    Ignore her!  I had a bad agent when looking to buy.  We really liked a house and the agent knew it, but it went off market temporarily.  We told a white lie to the agent and said we were taking a break and not looking.  Instead, we found a new, better agent and a couple weeks later when the house was relisted we submitted an offer with the new agent and got the house.  I felt bad initially, but we have to do what was best for us, especially when it affects us financially.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards