Chit Chat
Options

TMI question

luckya23luckya23 member
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
edited March 2015 in Chit Chat

Do you flush tampons?

I swear everyone does it, but I just got a lecture from my plumber and then FI was like "that's obvious, everyone knows that!"

I KNEW that it wasn't great, and was very careful about it in my previous Victorian era house, but never was any other place.

ETA: Obviously this is a different issue in septic systems, so I assume those people don't. 

And this also isn't what I actually have the plumber here for, but he made a point to show me all of the "things with strings" laid out in globs on my garage floor!

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: TMI question

• Options
    every single time.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    nope nope nope. It's not good for any kind of plumbing. But I don't think it's super common to know not to flush them, because my college roommate is a pretty damn smart lady, and she didn't know not to flush them. Had never heard you shouldn't. I mean, how would you know not to if no one ever told you? They're basically paper, right? And you can flush toilet paper. 
  • Options
    At home I did, at work I didn't because there was a sign that said not to. Now I've switched to using a diva cup so it doesn't really matter :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Yup, always have.

• Options
    *hangs head in shame* Yes, I do. Every single time. I really should stop.

• Options
    Yep, always have.

@blabla89 How do you like the Diva Cup. I have considered trying it.

• Options
    Only in the indestructible public toilets. When I was a kid, we had to dig up our entire front yard due to years and years and years of flushing tampons. I have no idea what it cost my mom.  
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    I've always flushed them too and honestly never knew I shouldn't. The only place I've ever not flushed them was at DH's family's cabin up north but, that was only because it's a septic tank and I was told not to. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    Every time.  I had ad no idea you aren't supposed to.    

Learn something new every day!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Options
    @emmaaa it's worked out pretty well for me. Once I got the hang of putting it in, it didn't seem too much more complicated than a tampon. I like that I don't have to change it as often and I don't have to worry about carrying extras with me.

PS- I like your new sig!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I always have and haven't had a problem.

BUT- we just bought an old house with old plumbing. Pretty sure I won't flush them there.
  • Options

Yes mam every time, unless it's septic...

• Options
    KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited March 2015

When I lived in Costa Rica, we couldn't even flush toilet paper.

It felt really weird and wrong putting everything in the trash.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    No, never. I didn't growing up because we had a septic tank and got lectured A LOT about how awful it was for the system. I used to do it with "industrial plumbing" like if I was at work or the mall, but then they started putting signs up telling us not to do it so I stopped that too.

• Options
    labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    I did. Until I bought a house with a septic system and H told me to never ever flush my tampons. And now I have to instruct every single woman who comes in to the house that she can't flush her tampons either...it's so frustrating! I definitely didn't know that you shouldn't flush tampons in either a city pluming system or a septic system....

• Options
    Never.  The pipes at our condo are special, delicate flowers and can barely handle toilet paper.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I never knew you weren't supposed to flush them.  I've always been told to flush them by my mom and school nurses everywhere.  Oops?

I switched to a DivaCup within the past few months and love it.  It's so easy and there's no waste, so no more flushing.  But ever since I got my IUD, I don't even get my period, so I'm a happy clam lately.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    I don't if I know the system has a septic tank.  We redid our plumbing a few years ago, so I don't worry about flushing them and causing blockage.  I actually flush them most places, unless I can tell that the plumbing system is fragile or outdated (or if there is a sign).  I've never backed up a toilet with a tampon.  I've been places where you can't flush anything and it always makes the bathroom such an unpleasant place, especially if the trash isn't regularly emptied.  I'm bad. 

• Options
    larrygagalarrygaga member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2015
    I do it if I don't care about the plumbing. So I won't do it at my moms house but I will at a restaurant. I refuse to touch trash cans in a public bathroom so they can hVe it flushed or left on the floor.

We had a septic tank so not flushing was part of the how to use them lecture during my first period.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    levioosa said:

I don't if I know the system has a septic tank.  We redid our plumbing a few years ago, so I don't worry about flushing them and causing blockage.  I actually flush them most places, unless I can tell that the plumbing system is fragile or outdated (or if there is a sign).  I've never backed up a toilet with a tampon.  I've been places where you can't flush anything and it always makes the bathroom such an unpleasant place, especially if the trash isn't regularly emptied.  I'm bad. 

They don't back up your toilet though, they back up the public sewer line after they leave your house.

• Options
    No, never.  At a public washroom they go in the garbage disposal thing that is there in your stall specifically for that reason and at people's homes it goes in the garbage because I don't want to fuck up the plumbing or cause the toilet to back up or something.  
  • Options

levioosa said:

They don't back up your toilet though, they back up the public sewer line after they leave your house.
    I guess my area just doesn't make as big of a deal about it.  I've been to other states and there are signs everywhere.  I rarely, if ever see signs around my area indicating tampon protocol. 

• Options
    Um I didn't know you were supposed too. I've always just put them in the trash.
  • Options
    I was always told to throw them away.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards