Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Not inviting bridesmaids boyfriend?

I cannot stand one of my bridesmaids boyfriends. He's extremely rude to me and my FI, ignores our requests at our own house, and I really just don't want him there at my wedding. Is it okay to ask for him not to come? And how?

Re: Not inviting bridesmaids boyfriend?

• Options
    edited April 2015
    I kind of understand, except my FI and I have been together 5 years and her & her boyfriend less than 6 months. Our relationships aren't comparable.
  • Options

I cannot stand one of my bridesmaids boyfriends. He's extremely rude to me and my FI, ignores our requests at our own house, and I really just don't want him there at my wedding. Is it okay to ask for him not to come? And how?

Also JIC
    Formerly known as bubbles053009

• Options

No, absolutely not.  And can it with the 'my relationship is more valid than hers' bullshit.  Ick.

• Options

I kind of understand, except my FI and I have been together 5 years and her & her boyfriend less than 6 months. Our relationships aren't comparable.

What? You can't be serious with this statement! So you're saying that you didn't expect your friends to have any respect for your SO at the 6mo mark in your relationship? You would have been fine with your friends excluding your SO from anything they invited you to, because you'd only been together for 6mo? You don't spend 6mo of your life with someone that you don't think is important. If she is serious about this guy, then her relationship is just as valid as yours, therefore, it is comparable. How rude and selfish of you to suggest otherwise!

No, you don't have to invite him, but don't expect your friend to have any respect for you if you don't. Also, don't be offended or hurt if she doesn't bother inviting you to do things with her after your wedding.

• Options

• Options
    MagicInk said:

I've been with my wife for almost 11 years. So my relationship is more valid than your relationship.

See how shitty that is?
    H and I have been together 13 years so my relationship is the most legitimate of all!!!

OP, don't be a rude person.  Invite your friends boyfriend.

• Options

MagicInk said:

I've been with my wife for almost 11 years. So my relationship is more valid than your relationship.

See how shitty that is?
    H and I have been together 13 years so my relationship is the most legitimate of all!!!

OP, don't be a rude person.  Invite your friends boyfriend.
    Mine is obviously only half as legitimate. We've been together for 7, married for 6.
    You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough. ~Mae West
  • Options
    You have to invite him.  Excluding him would be a slap in the face to your friend. 

It seems that you don't have a lot of respect for your friend, but there's no reason to deliberately insult her. 
  • Options
    I'm just gonna leave this here for you, OP. I very strongly recommend that you read through it. Seriously. 
  • Options

You don't get to decide how serious someone else's relationship is. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    No it's her boyfriend doesn't have respect for me. If I invite them over for say dinner, we will smoke in my house (cigarettes and marshes a) Sven though i have said many times not to. He is extremely disrespectful that's just one situation.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I wasn't saying length is the only factor. But if they didn't just start dating then maybe I could handle his disrespect better, I'm not sure though. her boyfriend doesn't have respect for me. If I invite them over for say dinner, we will smoke in my house (cigarettes and pot) even though i have said many times not to. He is extremely disrespectful that's just one situation.
  • Options

No it's her boyfriend doesn't have respect for me. If I invite them over for say dinner, we will smoke in my house (cigarettes and marshes a) Sven though i have said many times not to. He is extremely disrespectful that's just one situation.

This doesn't matter.  Him being an ass is not enough reason for you to not invite him.  So you have to suck this one up buttercup.

• Options
    She just ignores it because "thats him & she doesn't want to change him". 7 months ago she got out of a 4 year relationship & he's just this bad boy she's dating.
  • Options
    I am not judging if she has said "I'm going through a bad boy stage" MANY times

• Options

I am not judging if she has said "I'm going through a bad boy stage" MANY times

Yes, you are.  Go read your prior posts.  Full of judgement.

• Options
    Ok. So lets just assume he is an ass.

Fine. He is an ass. So what? I know lots of asses.

The point here is this ass is dating your BM and the rule is if someone is dating a guest of your wedding, you have two options:

1. Invite both of them
    2. Invite neither of them

Since you have acknowledged he has not done anything other than general 'asshatery' then your options are limited to those above. Period. End of story.
  • Options
    It is not up to your Bridesmaid to enforce your house rules upon her boyfriend. If you say no smoking, and he smokes anyways then you ask them to leave. You have every right to ask people to leave your home.

However, you have no right to not invite him simply because you do not like him. they are a social unit and therefore must be invited.

I'm assuming this girl is a dear friend to you, because you asked her to be a bridesmaid. I'm pretty sure she would be very hurt and possibly consider ending the friendship if you did not invite him. Especially if you told her the reasons that you've told us here. Consider it the other way around. They're getting married. You're a bridesmaid. Your husband is not invited because your best friend doesn't like him. I highly doubt that you would be ok with that.

Invite him. There will be so many other people at your wedding, and you will be so in love and wedded bliss and talking with other guests that I promise you won't notice him or be bothered by him.

Also. I just have to add. You can't judge a relationship based on time together. Your relationship is not more valid than hers. Years together does not make you more in love. FI and I knew by our SECOND DATE that we were in it for the long haul. By 4 months we were talking marriage, life got in the way and we had to wait until the 1.5 year mark to get engaged and will be together 3.5 years by the time we are married. But we knew on our second date, and at that moment our relationship became just as valid as yours.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards