Chit Chat
Options

Drive-In Movies

tpwkalyntpwkalyn member
First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Love Its First Comment
edited May 2015 in Chit Chat
Do you guys have drive-ins where you are? And if so, what are your thoughts on them?

I share a birthday with my FSIL (I'll be 24 Monday, woohoo!), so my FI and his brother are taking us to see The Avengers on Saturday and I'm pumped. However, FI and I got into an argument last night about going to the Drive-In. I do NOT want to watch a movie from the back seat of a car, plus we have one of those annual popcorn buckets, and we wouldn't be able to use it there.

We finally came to the conclusion to just go to one of the regular theaters around us, but, I honestly almost had an anxiety attack last night because I thought I was being a bitch for not wanting to go to the drive-in.

So, what do you think? Drive-ins: yes or no?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Drive-In Movies 54 votes

Super fun!
68% 37 votes
Umm, no thanks.
22% 12 votes
I only watch movies with turtles in them.
9% 5 votes

Re: Drive-In Movies

• Options
    I like drive ins, but we dont have them for new movies. They only play older ones, and its more of a family event - ie bouncy castles, face painting, etc. I prefer real movie theaters.
  • Options
    esstee33esstee33 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2015
    I don't know if we have any in Pittsburgh, but they're pretty common where I'm from originally, and I really like them! You don't have to watch from the back seat -- we always took blankets and sat on the hood of the car. 
  • Options
    I only watch movies on Netflix or OnDemand. I can pee whenever, drink wine and snuggle my cats. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Drive ins are fun! We do the blankets on the hood of the car too.
  • Options
    Drive ins are awesome! I wish there were more around. My parents used to take us as kids all the time. I saw Clueless at the drive in. 

In college there was one not too far away and I saw Pirates of the Caribbean and Finding Nemo. 

• Options
    We have a drive in about a half hour from here that DH and I love to go to. We are seeing the new Avengers there next weekend with DH's parents for mother's day. We also already have plans to see Jurassic World there when it comes out in June. We sit in the front seat of our car and get the popcorn with real butter topping, and maybe cotton candy or an elephant ear. We are also allowed to bring in outside food so we have dinner there too.

People also often bring lawn chairs or blankets and sit in those to watch the movies, and there are picnic tables available for people to sit at too. We always have a blast.

The double features are the best! We saw the most recent Transformers and the newest Planet of the Apes movie there last year as a double feature, and for Fright Fest we saw a double feature of As Above/So Below and the original Nightmare on Elm Street. Two movies for the price of one!
  • Options
    This depends:
    - Does the vehicle allow for enjoyable viewing? I.E., is the car braced well across the top, does the truck have a clean enough bed for sitting, does the SUV open in such a way that others' viewing pleasure will not be hindered by our own, or can we ensure a nice sitting place in front of the car? If the answer is "We'd have to sit in the car," take me to a movie theater. The only exception to this is convertibles. I'm down for sitting in a convertible for a movie.
    - Is it fucking hot or fucking cold? If yes to either (meaning we have to sit in the car) take me to a movie theater.
    - Do we have effective bug spray? If no, take me to a movie theater.

I would have to seriously consider the savings the popcorn bucket offered. If I could have extrasuperbutter on mine and get FI his bland "they butter it before you get it too you know" popcorn, then it would make it difficult. However, if all of the above work out in favor of the drive in, I really prefer them.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    esstee33 said:

I don't know if we have any in Pittsburgh, but they're pretty common where I'm from originally, and I really like them! You don't have to watch from the back seat -- we always took blankets and sat on the hood of the car. 

Unfortunately, they want all 4 of us to go in 1 car so SOMEONE is sitting in the back seat, and I'd imagine it'd be me, seeing as I'm the shortest. And none of our vehicles have a proper "hood" that we could sit on.

If it were a different movie, or a movie I'd already seen before, that might be a different story. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I LOVE drive-ins.  There are only two left in NJ I think and one of them, way up near the NY state border, has this amazing kitchen with real food and they only show double features.  It's so much fun.  I wish it was closer because we'd go a lot more.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    Another fan of drive-ins!  Since we have a toddler, it's a great option for us to be able to go to the movies (the ones near us show a kids move and an adult movie as a double feature).  

Helps that FI has a truck that we can sit in the bed of, and our son will eventually fall asleep back there!

If it's warm enough, you could put some folding chairs out in front of the car.  We've seen a lot of people do that!
  • Options

This depends:

- Does the vehicle allow for enjoyable viewing? I.E., is the car braced well across the top, does the truck have a clean enough bed for sitting, does the SUV open in such a way that others' viewing pleasure will not be hindered by our own, or can we ensure a nice sitting place in front of the car? If the answer is "We'd have to sit in the car," take me to a movie theater. The only exception to this is convertibles. I'm down for sitting in a convertible for a movie.
    - Is it fucking hot or fucking cold? If yes to either (meaning we have to sit in the car) take me to a movie theater.
    - Do we have effective bug spray? If no, take me to a movie theater.

I would have to seriously consider the savings the popcorn bucket offered. If I could have extrasuperbutter on mine and get FI his bland "they butter it before you get it too you know" popcorn, then it would make it difficult. However, if all of the above work out in favor of the drive in, I really prefer them.
    HAHA I love this comment so much. You sound like me. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I just found out that both drive ins I knew about in my county closed, possibly long enough ago that everyone but me knows. 

Sad face.
  • Options
    I LOVE the drive-in. My friends and I went so much when I was in high school. We'd pack the back of a friend's truck with blankets and pillows and it was way more comfortable than sitting in a theater seat by the time we were done! Also, the drive-in movies were always so much cheaper than going to the theater. Seriously, going to the drive-in is one my favorite things!

• Options
    falsarafalsara member
    I loved going to drive-ins.  There's currently none where we live now though.  When I was in high school some of my friends had couchs and recliners in the back of their trucks.  It was always fun. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    anjemonanjemon member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    Fun fact: The last drive-in I went to I watched a movie about turtles. They were ninjas. It wasn't that great.

I would probably refuse to go if I had to sit in the back seat too. I can't imagine you would have a good view from back there, I think the roof of the car gets in the way. We usually bring lawn chairs when we go, but it's often hard to really hear well if you're not sitting in your car. And cars are more comfortable and warm. But if we had a truck or suburban type vehicle where you could sit in the back I think it would be really awesome.
  • Options
    500days500days member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    I love the drive-in just for the savings. The one near us does all new releases, all double features for only $25 per car. The snack shack there is also waaaaay cheaper than the movie theater, but you can always bring your own snacks and not spend any money at all. 

I can see how going in a sedan would be a little cramped, but if it's warm enough you can do lawn chairs next to the car. I wouldn't think hearing the audio would be a problem since all of the other cars around you will be playing it...many with their windows open.
  • Options
    We have a few within driving distance (but they're all like 45 minutes away). I've only been to a drive-in movie once when I was 5.
  • Options
    I LOVE drive -ins!

• Options
    There's one near me and I'd love to go, but haven't yet. They always do double features and they end REALLY late and I'm old. The few times I've been able go, I'd already seen one of the movies.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    I love drive in movies. Unfortunately, that's a seasonal business in CT so only one left that I know of. It shows first run movies though. If annual popcorn is some kind of gift card, you could use it another time. We always stocked the car with plenty of snacks - pizza, popcorn, chips, soda for the night and few lawn chairs JIC. 

I think I would have gone along with the drive in idea, on the condition that I get to pick the next movie at the theater of my choice. Did your FSIL want to go to the drive-in?

• Options
    We have a drive-in near where I live. It's a great set up, but if a dark scene comes on the screen,, it's really hard to see, especially if you're in a sedan near the middle-front area. 
  • Options
    I LOVE the drive in.  H had never been until I started taking him.  I prefer to stay in the car to keep warm, but occasionally I'll bring a blanket and lay out on the ground.
    The one near us has two screens and there are double features.  Usually first run.
    This week Avengers and Cinderella are playing on screen one and Paul Blart and Fast & Furious are on the second screen.  They change weekly.  This year they upped prices and it's $8 per adult.  Not bad considering you have your choice of 4 different movies.

I love going to Wegmans and stocking up on candy.  Gummies, Tootsie Rolls, cow tails, cheese puffs.  And we have an air popper and make our own popcorn and melt butter over it.  Take lemonade, water and sometime soda if we think to get it.  Depending on if it was a spur of the moment thing we sometimes order a pizza and pick it up on our way.
    Anniversary

• Options

We love the drive in! We can bring snacks and talk or mess on our phones if we get bored.  Anymore I feel way too constricted in a theater.

We have 2 drive-ins within 10 or 15 minutes, playing different double features.

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    1. Turtles
    2. Drive in on a date night
    3. Movie theater on a double date. No way am I taking back seat to another couple at a drive in...what if they start making out???

Above all else - I'm going wherever I have a popcorn refill deal!!
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    We have one in our town - it opened 2 years ago.  We are going to see the Avengers movie and DH said it was showing at the drive in.  Only problem is the first movie is Cinderella and 19 yo DS would flip.  I am requiring mandatory family fun time this weekend and Cinderella wouldn't cut it.
  • Options
    jacques27jacques27 member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2015

1. Turtles
    2. Drive in on a date night
    3. Movie theater on a double date. No way am I taking back seat to another couple at a drive in...what if they start making out???

Above all else - I'm going wherever I have a popcorn refill deal!!

Wouldn't it be the people in the back seat more likely to make out?  Would you start making out while in the front seat with an uncomfortable center console between you and two people who can see you less than two feet behind you?  I'd rather sit in the back.  Back seat is where any make out action is happening if it's going to happen.

All of the drive-ins here closed years ago, but I used to go all the time with my cousins when I was little and my friends and I went in high school.  It was a blast and I usually sat in the back and had no problem seeing the screen (this would be in a sedan - no fancy convertibles or SUVs).  If the movie was cheesy we could make snarky comments a la Mystery Science Theater without bothering anyone else.  We'd bring our own popcorn, drinks, pizza or Chinese take-out.  I think there's something fun about supporting an institution like the drive-in, especially since I'm sure most of them are independently owned, not party of a huge chain.  I think it would be a blast to see the Avengers at a drive in - and it's not like you can't see it again at a traditional theater or rent it in the future.

ETA:  OMG - they moved the old drive-in we used to go to (it's in a city a bit farther out now) and reopened it!  It's three movies for $8.50 per person.  Seriously, you can't even buy a ticket for one movie at that price.  And they are showing current movies (Avengers, Insurgent, and Cinderella).  And they have $1 hot dogs.  I see a drive-in movie trip in my near future! 
  • Options
    doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    We have one here.  It's great fun to go to and you get to see two movies in a row for way cheaper than going to our movie theater.  Also, you can bring a blanket and all the goodies you want, whereas with the theater you have to buy pricey concession foods or sneak them in in your purse.. I mean, not that I would ever do that.
  • Options

I LOVE drive-ins.  There are only two left in NJ I think and one of them, way up near the NY state border, has this amazing kitchen with real food and they only show double features.  It's so much fun.  I wish it was closer because we'd go a lot more.

The only one I know of still in NJ is down in Vineland. There's one in Warwick, NY that's just north of the NJ/NY border, though I haven't been there before. BUT, there's also two wineries in Warwick that are awesome. Double date sometime? Of course, we may all be too drunk on tasty wine to watch movies... haha
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    There's one in downtown Indy,so not super convenient but we could go if we wanted. I never think of it and honestly am not a fan of watching from the car. I think once we set up those camp chairs and watched but really just not a huge fan. Once every few years is enough
  • Options
    I don't think there are any within an hour of me. I have been exactly once in 1998- the matrix and 10 things I hate about you.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards