Chit Chat
Options

Holy shit! I just felt an earthquake for real!!

I came in to work some extra hours today and my boss was in his office. Our chairs started shaking and our desks were vibrating.  I honestly have to say that hasn't happened around here in the 35 years I've been here.  It was a 4.0 south of Galesburg so nothing big but certainly a surprise.  Definitely puts the people of Nepal at the forfront of my mind.  Certainly nothing compared to what they suffered, just quite the surprise.

Re: Holy shit! I just felt an earthquake for real!!

• Options
    Yikes!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Yikes.

I remember my first one.

My sister and I were out late the night before drinking with friends.  I was sleeping on the floor at my parent's apartment in Tokyo. You see my sister and I could not sleep well in the same bed. So we took turns sleeping on the floor throughout the summer we were there.  

Well I was getting pissed she was shaking my "bed".  Then I realized I was on the floor.  All the sudden an announcement in Japanese came over the speakers.  I'm assuming they were saying there was an earthquake.    It was a decent sized quake, but not a lot of damage.  We were fine. 

That was crazy first time.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I just looked up Galesburg - are you in Michigan? I didn't know Michigan had earthquakes, ever.

I still remember the 1989 earthquake in the Bay Area. I was four, and since they did earthquake drills in preschool, I just jumped under the table and yelled at my sister to do the same, and (since I was so young and it seemed like a normal thing), I thought it was kind of exciting. Luckily there was very little damage in our area.

Despite how much damage earthquakes can cause, I still find tornadoes infinitely more terrifying.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I just looked up Galesburg - are you in Michigan? I didn't know Michigan had earthquakes, ever.

I still remember the 1989 earthquake in the Bay Area. I was four, and since they did earthquake drills in preschool, I just jumped under the table and yelled at my sister to do the same, and (since I was so young and it seemed like a normal thing), I thought it was kind of exciting. Luckily there was very little damage in our area.

Despite how much damage earthquakes can cause, I still find tornadoes infinitely more terrifying.
    Yes I am from Michigan
  • Options
    The 1994 Northridge earthquake was on my parents' 13th wedding anniversary. :P
  • Options
    As a geology major, I find earthquakes very interesting. Earthquakes happen everyday, most of the time they are too small to be felt. Places are considered active if earthquakes have happened between 200 to 10,000 years. 
  • Options
    falsarafalsara member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    My Mom was pregnant with my little sister while we were living in California for Northridge.  I was in DC for the one a few years ago that cased some cracks in the Washington Monument.  We had a few in Okinawa while we were there too.   

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options

Weak ones very rarely, like 3 in the last 50 years. No damage or injuries from this one.

HAhaha, I see that photo all the time for "CA storm watch 2015. We will rebuild."
  • Options
    Scary! I lived in CA for most of my childhood, and I thought earthquacks were so exciting.
  • Options

Scary! I lived in CA for most of my childhood, and I thought earthquacks were so exciting.

Yeah, I did too!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I felt it too!
  • Options
    I'm shocked I've never felt one considering where I live. My workplace is matching donations to Nepal (as is the government) so what I donated ended up being matched twice. That made me very happy!
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

Yeah, I did too!
    I almost never felt them.):
  • Options
    ViczaesarViczaesar member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2015

I remember that one too; I was six, and the epicenter was just a couple of miles away.  I was at the after school program in the cafeteria so we hid under the tables, and I remember being terrified that the big wall clock was going to fall on my table and break.

Ditto also on the tornadoes!

• Options

Weak ones very rarely, like 3 in the last 50 years. No damage or injuries from this one.
    Ugh, that meme. People were posting it all the time following the quake in VA a couple years ago. Making fun of how people were overreacting about the quake. Problem was, the big cities only had minor damage (like the crack in the Washington Monument), but central rural VA had some major problems, which no one covered on the news. DH's old HS was declared structurally unsound and had to be demolished. The local school kids had to split their school week because they had to share the middle school space - MWF was for high school and TRS (yes, Saturday) was for middle school kids. For an entire year. The HS still hasn't been rebuilt - the students go to school in mods in the middle of a field. But since no one cares about a poor, rural county, by all means, let's pretend like nothing happened.

(Sorry, it really bothered me when it happened, and it [obviously] still bothers me - I was terrified because we lived near the epicenter and our house's foundation bucked so much I thought there had been an explosion underneath it. We had cracks in the foundation, lots of stuff fell and broke, our cat was injured because of the fallen glass, etc.)
  • Options
    allispain said:

Ugh, that meme. People were posting it all the time following the quake in VA a couple years ago. Making fun of how people were overreacting about the quake. Problem was, the big cities only had minor damage (like the crack in the Washington Monument), but central rural VA had some major problems, which no one covered on the news. DH's old HS was declared structurally unsound and had to be demolished. The local school kids had to split their school week because they had to share the middle school space - MWF was for high school and TRS (yes, Saturday) was for middle school kids. For an entire year. The HS still hasn't been rebuilt - the students go to school in mods in the middle of a field. But since no one cares about a poor, rural county, by all means, let's pretend like nothing happened.

(Sorry, it really bothered me when it happened, and it [obviously] still bothers me - I was terrified because we lived near the epicenter and our house's foundation bucked so much I thought there had been an explosion underneath it. We had cracks in the foundation, lots of stuff fell and broke, our cat was injured because of the fallen glass, etc.)
    Yeah that would definitely be shitty in cases where actual damage had happened. In this case though it's more of a novelty that "hey we're in Michigan and felt an earthquake, that's cool!" 4 magnitudes - pictures might fall off a shelf. 5 and up is where structural damage starts. This was was a 4.2; DC was a 5.8. Big difference. (Nepal was an 8.1)

• Options
    allispain said:

Yes, people might joke about minor earthquakes, because in the grand scale of earthquakes, some kids having to use a temporary school and a few compromised buildings being replaced, stuff falling off a shelf is considered very minor. It's a damned inconvenience, but not even close to tragedy that shouldn't be joked about.

Here's a picture of Langtang village before the Nepal quake. A medical clinic, some tea houses and hotels and guest houses, a few hundred people. 
    On the day of the quake, a bustling little stop along a popular trek and filled with the Nepali families who live there, and visitors from Canada, UK, Spain, Greece, Russia, US, Malaysia, Australia, France, the Netherlands, and I'm guessing I'm forgetting a few countries.

And, the village after the quake and avalanches:

Bet those kids would love to go to school in a portable building for a year. Except there are no kids left. 

I wouldn't be offended by people joking with a silly meme saying, hey, that wasn't a serious earthquake. Because it isn't, and you were really really fortunate.
  • Options
    @ohannabelle - such a truly tragic comparison in those before and after photos.  Those people are in my prayers and we donating to help.  Not that this makes me anything special, because it doesn't.  I just want you to know that I do not at all compare what happened here to Nepal.
  • Options
    Oh, I didn't think you were comparing, no worries.
    And I don't mean that it isn't scary. I get that, I get really scared. 
    It's really damned unnerving when it happens. I get jumpy for days.
    But when it's over, it's okay to laugh. That's what I meant. It's okay to post silly non earthquake earthquake pictures like Lolo did.  If my house is standing and nobody died, that's what we call a good day. No complaints. 
  • Options

allispain said:

Yes, people might joke about minor earthquakes, because in the grand scale of earthquakes, some kids having to use a temporary school and a few compromised buildings being replaced, stuff falling off a shelf is considered very minor. It's a damned inconvenience, but not even close to tragedy that shouldn't be joked about.

Here's a picture of Langtang village before the Nepal quake. A medical clinic, some tea houses and hotels and guest houses, a few hundred people. 
    On the day of the quake, a bustling little stop along a popular trek and filled with the Nepali families who live there, and visitors from Canada, UK, Spain, Greece, Russia, US, Malaysia, Australia, France, the Netherlands, and I'm guessing I'm forgetting a few countries.

And, the village after the quake and avalanches:

Bet those kids would love to go to school in a portable building for a year. Except there are no kids left. 

I wouldn't be offended by people joking with a silly meme saying, hey, that wasn't a serious earthquake. Because it isn't, and you were really really fortunate.
    Well yes, obviously what happened in Nepal was much worse. I wasn't talking about Nepal. I was simply observing/complaining about the fact that in the case of that particular VA earthquake (one of 2 I felt while I lived there), there was no coverage of the actual damage that did occur. People focused on the banal as opposed to the people whose homes, schools, etc. were condemned.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards