Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Let's be glad they didn't invite us. . . . I can't even!

2»

Re: Let's be glad they didn't invite us. . . . I can't even!

• Options
    fyrchkfyrchk member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment

I feel like the canned food thing was a 50's sort of thing. I remember my grandmother telling me what a great time they would have giving the bride cans of food (each person brought one) without the labels so when she went to make dinner she never knew exactly what she was going to be opening. Old people are funny.

Just so I know I'm reading this right, they are asking for money for a shower gift to fund the wedding? Bitch betta have an open bar.

• Options

Lol.... A long time ago like 30-40+ years ago these type of poems or requests to "bring a small item for the brides wishing well" were very common at bridal showers. It was considered practical and helpful for brides back in the day who left their parents home or apartment with roomates to set up a home with a new husband. People would bring unwrapped dishtowels, cooking spices, pot holders, recipes and ingredients, cleaning supplies, dishsoap, potpourri. I've seen requests to "fill the diaper bag" at baby showers too.

I wrote a thread on this about a year ago. I had never heard of a wishing well. I am from the south, H's family is from the northeast- I think it is regional? I asked around to my friends and none of them had heard of it either- and all had different interpretations. Some thought it meant bring money, some thought it was just - "oh, hey! we wish you well!". Lots of confusion. I was really embarrassed that MIL put it on the invite without me knowing because I thought it was rude.

It ended up being fine, but I did end up with a shit ton of olive oil sprayers and random cake servers.
  • Options
    i would give a gift card in the card to a place where she has to use because it has an expiration date.  such as the nail or hair salon or a groupon where you paid next to nothing for it. 

what she did is so tacky it would be funny if everyone showed up with a gift and no money at all. oh man the look on her face when she goes to return the items and they only give her store credit 
  • Options

"No physical gifts will be accepted." hahaha um, ok? So I guess you don't want this physical green? Or this physical check? F that. 

Here's what she should do. Email the host(ess) and say: "I'm so sorry, but something came up and I can't attend the shower. Best wishes to the bride and groom!"
    Good point!

I'd email the couple directly and ask for their checking account and routing numbers so that I could direct deposit their gift. . . and By the way, did you guys want to help me move some money from an offshore account?

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    BouxRadleyBouxRadley member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2015
    One time I drunkenly created and emailed my MOH a mock up of a bridal shower invitation (that I creatively made with Microsoft Paint, thank you very much) that at the bottom said "We don't care about your presence, just send us presents." I don't mean to sound greedy, but if you WANT to give me a gift for a GIFT GIVING EVENT, well then gimme gimme gimme.

ETA: it sounded like a good idea at the time. I would never actually put that anywhere on any kind of wedding related anything. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards