Chit Chat
Options

8 Wedding Expenses That Are Actually Worth Splurging for

2»

Re: 8 Wedding Expenses That Are Actually Worth Splurging for

• Options
    fyrchk said:
    The word "splurge" has now lost all meaning to me after reading it and saying it in my head so many times. Like when you repeat a word so often it just sounds weird. That's where I am
    It's starting to sound dirty

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My one splurge was a $700 brooch bouquet. I freaking love that thing.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    The one splurge expense that is not listed here is the honeymoon.  Modern couples take very expensive honeymoons compared to pre-wedding industry couples.  Niagra Falls used to be the big honeymoon destination for east coast couples.  The Poconos was also popular. 
    Now couples want exotic destinations with AIs or cruises, something that used to be only for wealthy people.
    I am still a minimalist.  Plenty of people don't have alcohol at their weddings. (Mormons, conservative Christians, etc.) The most beautiful dress I ever saw on a bride was homemade by her mother.  (1990s - simple, not pouffy.)  Cake and punch/coffee/tea in the afternoon is fine.  I do not understand huge wedding parties.  I had two attendants.
    I do understand good photography and good quality rings.  (I'm not talking about e-rings, just wedding bands.)  Those are things that will last through your marriage.
    Anyway, this is all just my personal opinion and taste.  Those brides who choose to have huge, expensive weddings are free to do so.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    CMGragain said:
    The one splurge expense that is not listed here is the honeymoon.  Modern couples take very expensive honeymoons compared to pre-wedding industry couples.  Niagra Falls used to be the big honeymoon destination for east coast couples.  The Poconos was also popular. 
    Now couples want exotic destinations with AIs or cruises, something that used to be only for wealthy people.
    I am still a minimalist.  Plenty of people don't have alcohol at their weddings. (Mormons, conservative Christians, etc.) The most beautiful dress I ever saw on a bride was homemade by her mother.  (1990s - simple, not pouffy.)  Cake and punch/coffee/tea in the afternoon is fine.  I do not understand huge wedding parties.  I had two attendants.
    I do understand good photography and good quality rings.  (I'm not talking about e-rings, just wedding bands.)  Those are things that will last through your marriage.
    Anyway, this is all just my personal opinion and taste.  Those brides who choose to have huge, expensive weddings are free to do so.

People are getting close to wanting these things for their bach parties, for godsakes!

Personally, I am so glad we did a small trip right after the wedding rather than waiting and saving up for a big honeymoon.  That week afterwards was so much better than a grand vacation later down the line (which of course we could still do). 

A big trip right after would have been great too, but way too much trouble to coordinate with the wedding planning, so I understand why someone would wait until later.  But take the small trip too!!

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    In 1976, there were no bachelorette parties!  Guys had bachelor parties.  (DH didn't.  He wasn't interested.)  Brides had showers, if someone other than the MOB or MOG offered.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    We did the big HM, but we also love to travel, so it was more of an excuse to take a trip for us.  Plus the cruise was 50% off.  Originally, the last week in Hawaii was our HM, but we just 'tied' it in with the wedding instead.  

• Options
    luckya23 said:
    CMGragain said:

People are getting close to wanting these things for their bach parties, for godsakes!

Personally, I am so glad we did a small trip right after the wedding rather than waiting and saving up for a big honeymoon.  That week afterwards was so much better than a grand vacation later down the line (which of course we could still do). 

A big trip right after would have been great too, but way too much trouble to coordinate with the wedding planning, so I understand why someone would wait until later.  But take the small trip too!!

I think one of the reasons people are doing the bigger trips for bach parties is because people are so spread out and mobile. I know for me we are spread out between three different states so to get us all together means all but one will be flying. A lot of people are this way with their closest friends anymore so it makes sense to want to fly to a fun destination with everyone instead of all but one flying to just hang out for a night. We just wanted an excuse to get together!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We also did a big honeymoon, but the price was actually pretty similar to a typical vacation for us. So I didn't consider it a "wedding splurge" because we would have spent the same amount on another year anyway. (Actually, the only expensive part of our Hawaii honeymoon was the flights - we camped and backpacked most of the time, so it ended up being relatively affordable). I think CMGs point is a good one, but elaborate traveling in general (not just honeymooning) has become much more common than it used to be, and I think because of that many people make room in their budget for it.
  • Options
    CMGragain said: The one splurge expense that is not listed here is the honeymoon.  Modern couples take very expensive honeymoons compared to pre-wedding industry couples.  Niagra Falls used to be the big honeymoon destination for east coast couples.  The Poconos was also popular. 

Funny you mention this; my in-laws did the Poconos and
    haaaated it. 

I don't blame anyone for doing something lavish on a honeymoon (lavish meaning more expensive / longer / exotic than they normally would otherwise). It's been tough economically lately, for one, and two, it's difficult to get that dream vacation after having kids. For many, the honeymoon might be a once in a lifetime type of trip. Go for it (just don't ask for contributions)! 

• Options
    ashtsbashtsb member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2015
    CMGragain said:

Funny you mention this; my in-laws did the Poconos and haaaated it. 

I don't blame anyone for doing something lavish on a honeymoon (lavish meaning more expensive / longer / exotic than they normally would otherwise). It's been tough economically lately, for one, and two, it's difficult to get that dream vacation after having kids. For many, the honeymoon might be a once in a lifetime type of trip. Go for it (just don't ask for contributions)! 
    ----------boooox
    This very much! We are going on a trip we would probably never otherwise take for our honeymoon. My fiance is more of a homebody and doesn't really like to travel and he's fair skinned so burns very easy and dislikes heat, so places more southern are pretty much out of the question! Our "exotic" honeymoon will be in Vancouver. We would go over to Europe but that is out of the budget for now. I'm hoping we can make it overseas eventually!
  • Options
    I wouldn't say we splurged on much for the wedding itself. We made sure we had good food and good music with an open bar. Not top-shelf liquor or anything, but people will not go thirsty. We did hire videographers, which I guess could be considered a splurge for some, but FH really wanted them since he loves home movies.

We REALLY splurged on our honeymoon. Private, beachside bungalow at a resort in the Keys, then a beachside hotel in Ft. Lauderdale. Not an international destination, but we made sure to go all out since we only get one honeymoon.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Some things on the list, yeah.  Food, booze and photography are what I can think of.  I didn't get my dream venue and I wont be splurging on the dress.  Thankfully I don't have a planner or in need of transportation. 

• Options
    CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2015

Lol at all of that in small town Manitoba.  You book what you can and pay what you need to.  So you can take that two ways, I guess - either nothing was a splurge because it was just what we budgeted for, or everything was a splurge because we got exactly what we wanted.

MrsComposer, I didn't even notice you were from Manitoba!  That's where I was born. Winnipeg.  My sister had an amazing wedding at the Fort Gary Hotel and didn't have to splurge on a thing! (threw that in since I wanted to keep this on topic!) 

• Options
    kvruns said:
    going through list one by one since I'm half-half

1 - dress
    personally no. Mine was $650 after tax - included alterations and sash. I got a discount because of my body type

8 - wedding planner
    fuck that noise.
    What is a discount because of body type? you fit the sample so you bought that? Or ...?

I was going to say the same thing. Is like discount double check? Was there a Double D double check?

• Options

CMGragain said:

Our rings were the one "splurge" I guess we did have.  We ended up spending almost twice as much as we had originally planned to on mine.  (H's cousin is a jewelery designer and custom made his for him at the cost of materials as a wedding gift.Otherwise we would have been spending twice as much on his too.)  I wanted to have the diamonds from one of my grandmother's rings set into my wedding band.  But without purchasing extra diamonds to have set in the ring, it looked weird, so I purchased more.  I could afford it.  And I'm going to wear the ring every day for the rest of my life, so it seemed worth it to spend some extra money from my savings account on it.  If I hadn't had the ability to pay for it, I wouldn't have gone into debt for it though.
  • Options

The big problem I am finding is everyone you deal with expects your to splurge on them.  Halls, florists, photographers, limos etc.  Only have  so much money to spend.

• Options

Lol at all of that in small town Manitoba.  You book what you can and pay what you need to.  So you can take that two ways, I guess - either nothing was a splurge because it was just what we budgeted for, or everything was a splurge because we got exactly what we wanted.

MrsComposer, I didn't even notice you were from Manitoba!  That's where I was born. Winnipeg.  My sister had an amazing wedding at the Fort Gary Hotel and didn't have to splurge on a thing! (threw that in since I wanted to keep this on topic!) 

Hah!  Yes.  Originally from Alberta, but have been here for the past few years for work, and just happened to meet my husband, which was handy!  We're about two hours away from Winnipeg right now.  Fort Garry is gorgeous!
    **The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards