Chit Chat

High School Reunion

I just got an invite for my 10 year HS reunion. Who here has been to theirs? How was it? Any good stories!

Re: High School Reunion

• We didn't have a 10, and I skipped our 20. I kind of wish I'd gone.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I missed my 10 year and I am now debating if I want to go to my 20 year reunion.
  • Mine will be next year, if we have one. I'm not sure if I'll go. I wish we'd have gone to H's last year; most if my friends were in his class.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • edited July 2015
    I didn't go to my 10 year; I dont really give a shit about what 97% of people I went to HS with are up to. I don't think I'll ever go to one. FFIL is going to his 50 year later this summer...

ETF: typos
  • We didn't have a 10 year but I probably wouldn't have gone anyways. I still see the people that I want to see from high school and FB lets me stalk the ones I just want the gossip about. I don't really see the need for it. 

If there was one down the road for 25 years or something I would maybe go.
  • julieanne912julieanne912 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2015
    I went to my 10 and none of my close friends from school showed up, despite being all local.  One had a one week old, the other was a week away from having the baby.  Another didn't come because she had gained a lot of weight and wasn't comfortable with people seeing her.  

I had a good time though, I chatted with people I knew, but wasn't close friends with back then.  I'm actually friendlier with some of them now than I am with my old friends!  
    Married 9.12.15
  • I went to mine.  It was ok, and I'm glad I went.  There were about 120 of the 650 graduating class.  It was nice to see people who I knew but didn't talk to in HS and catch up with them.  And funnily enough, the "popular" crowd grabbed the table beside the bar, didn't let anyone else sit with them and gave snarky looks to anyone who tried to approach or have a conversation with them.  It's like they were all still stuck in HS.  

• LD1970LD1970 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    I had an absolute blast and actually made friends at my 10-year that I didn't have in high school. My 20-year was one of my early dates with H and we had a great time then too.
    You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough. ~Mae West
  • I went to mine.  It was ok, and I'm glad I went.  There were about 120 of the 650 graduating class.  It was nice to see people who I knew but didn't talk to in HS and catch up with them.  And funnily enough, the "popular" crowd grabbed the table beside the bar, didn't let anyone else sit with them and gave snarky looks to anyone who tried to approach or have a conversation with them.  It's like they were all still stuck in HS.  
    I kind of experienced this too.  A lot of the jock/popular guys were now kind of fat and just sat there drinking beer and looking like they thought the whole thing was lame, while the rest of us not so popular people were mingling and dancing and having a good time.
    Married 9.12.15
  • edited July 2015
    I thought about going to mine, even travelled back to my home town to attend, but didn't go.  Instead me and a couple of my closest HS friends got together and hung out.  We facebook stalked people from HS and relived old memories.  We probably had more fun with just the 3 of us than if we had gone to the reunion.

• I traveled home to attend my 10 year reunion & got together w/a bunch of classmates the night before.  A bunch of them turned out to be raging conservatives who were saying really shitty things about poor people (way longer story but I won't bore you with it) but I decided I had had enough of that pack of assholes and skipped the reunion I had traveled to attend the next night.  *Let me qualify that by saying it was the content of what they were saying that made me dislike them, not the fact that they were conservatives.  To each their own, I personally don't agree with a conservative agenda and these people were just being downright classist and nasty.    

Didn't even cross my mind to go to the 20.  They were ugly 10 years ago, I can only imagine that squad of losers now.

Sorry if that sounds horribly mean but I still remember that conversation from 11 or so years ago and have absolutely no respect for those people or wishes to reminisce with them about the "good old days".  Fuck 'em!

Haha, hope you have a better experience at yours.  

See i think it would be different story for me if I had a large graduating class and could get to know people that I may not have known in high school. But I graduated with 40 people.....
  • I went to mine. Well, technically my friends and I skipped the expensive portion. They wanted $85 for 3 hours of open bar and some passed apps. Instead we showed up right as it was ending. We had a great time.
  • I actually found out after that a bunch of people RSVP'd and then didn't show.  The organizers were alumni, and they were letting people pay at the door when they showed up.  They were out over $800 in no-shows.  Never give tickets or order meals until you have cash in hand 

• I went to mine and it sucked. None of my friends from high school were there except the few local people I went with and see regularly anyway. I didn't like or talk to the people there when we were in high school and had no desire to chat them up now that I won't see them til the next reunion. It was also held at a local bar where the music is really loud, there is very little seating, and nothing was hosted. Not the best atmosphere for talking.

The people who planned it made a slide show that played on loop of them with their clique of friends. They didn't solicit for other photos or pull any out the yearbook. It felt more like a party for their crowd than an actual class reunion.
  • I didn't go to my 10 year... I have stayed in touch with the two high school friends I would care to see, and one of them lives in the UK and didn't attend the reunion either. I actively avoid my hometown, and honestly, if I saw someone I recognized from high school walking down the street, I would probably hide. I hate small talk, especially with people I don't give two shits about. (Sorry, I know that sounds harsh, but I have no desire to revisit high school.)

Maybe I'll go to my 20 year, I still have 8 years to decide...
    BabyFruit Ticker

Why I will never bother with a reunion..

Interesting article I read just today about a study of kids who were "cool" in high school: http://www.businessinsider.com/kids-who-were-cool-at-13-are-not-at-age-23-2015-7
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    I went to my 10, we did a day time picnic for families and then at a bar that evening. It was nice to see people who I just "see" online but for the most part you already know what is up with the people you still stay in contact with. Did have a friend who lives out of state that was nice to see but for the most part talked to the same people I know on fb or still see. We had a 15 year but it was the day after our wedding (evening, we had plans for H dad bday) and day we left for the honeymoon for the family part. I don't think many people went to either and at least the one pic I saw of the evening one it was mostly just one group of people who still hang out today and not many others. Then again there was drama leading up to it so that might have kept numbers low!
    It is interesting to see how people change over the years.  I didn't go to ours because I had just given birth to our daughter (caesarian). 
    By 20 years, everyone was talking about their children, and all the women had been dieting like crazy before they came. 
    By 30 years, the cool people weren't so cool anymore, and lots of people were divorced and/or had come out.  One cheerleader expressed surprise at how nice I was, and wondered why we hadn't been friends in high school.  I reminded her that she wouldn't talk to me then.  The captain of the football team weighed about 350 lbs.and he had been divorced three times.
    By our 40th, the cool people didn't even show up anymore.  Some quiet people had been very successful in life.  People had stopped trying to impress each other, and it was more fun.  DH was the first to be able to retire.  I  wore a crew cut hairstyle from chemo, but several  classmates had already passed away from cancer. The captain of the wrestling team made a drunken pass at me, and DH was still jealous.
    I hope I am still around for our 50th in 2019.
    Go ahead and go.  Chalk it up to your education.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Well... I only graduated with one other person, so we have a reunion every time we're both in our hometown.

My parents, on the other hand, graduated with a core group of people within their larger grad class - and these friends have stuck together through everything.  I call most of them aunts and uncles.  THEIR reunions are awesome.  I was sad I missed their last one :)

**The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
  • I went to mine, and my 20-year. I skipped the 25th. If your SO isn't from your hometown, don't drag them with you. I saw more than one person who did that and they were miserable because they were trying to keep SO entertained in a room full of complete strangers instead of just having fun catching up.

• I didn't go to mine (10 or 20 year).  Quite frankly, if you didn't talk to me in high school, why the heck would I want to talk to you now?  Not interested.  Those I did talk to I still keep in touch with.  I did go to DHs (willingly!), and I had a good time though.
  • My 10 year is next weekend (I think?) and I don't plan on going. 

There's a chance my psycho ex will be there, which is enough to keep me away. It costs $100 for just apps and an open bar at a place where I could drink for free anyway, and on top of that my current health issues have me feeling pretty anti-social. 

In the facebook group for the event, people keep posting whose names I don't even recognize so I feel like I'll end up being in a room full of strangers (we had a really big graduating class). There are a few that I would love to catch up with. I haven't seen them since I moved away. But I think the negatives outweigh the positives for me. Oh well. 
  • I went to mine. It was fun! Re-bonded with a girl I'd known since kindergarten. It wasn't expensive and the planner had our senior class video playing on loop. That was funny.
    I know someone who went to hers and re-bonded with an old crush. They are now married.
    You never know!!

• I and one other classmate planned ours. We had a blast! It was so much fun that we agreed to have a 15 year one instead of waiting another 10 years. But we had a very small class (about 50) and most of us had been in school together since kindergarten, so we were pretty close. It wasn't expensive either. We served BBQ and two mothers volunteered to make some desserts. I think tickets were $20/person. We scheduled it for the day after our school's homecoming game and let that be our first event for the weekend, followed by a bonfire at co-planner's house. Super cheap, but so much fun!

• I was definitely the type who flew way under the radar in HS. Most people didn't know who I was and I didn't form any lasting friendships (with one notable exception). I'm so detached from the crowd and don't really care much about what happened to individual people, so you'd think that I wouldn't have gotten anything out of my HS reunion. However, I went to my 10 year and it was fascinating! My 20 year is this fall and I think I'll probably go to that as well. Think of it like a sociological observation session rather than a social gathering. People are interesting. I grew up in a tiny rural town but people do a lot with themselves from there. Some people do well. Others are train wrecks. My curiosity always wins out!
  • I went to an all girls catholic HS, and graduated from a class of like 40. I went to my 10 year, but it was super expensive and not too much fun. Some of the girls started a FB chat, and they want to have a mini reunion at the end of the month, but I'll probably skip it. I honestly did not enjoy HS much, so I feel like what's the point?
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• My 10 year was last year and I didn't go. H and I both went to the same high school and graduated the same year and he wasn't interested in going either. We live in a smaller town and still see a LOT of people we went to high school with on a semi-regular basis. And anyone I wanted to see either didn't go, or is someone I'm still very close with and talk to all the time. Plus it was expensive. I heard that most of our class didn't end up going (out of ~350 people).
  • Went to my 5 year reunion a couple years ago. Apparently the budget was super small so it was decided to just rent a room at the back of a bar. Everything else was buy your own. We had about 100 in our graduating class and about 50 showed up, with about 10 of that people I talk to on a pretty regular basis.

I was recently engaged, which wasn't exactly a secret, me and FH were in same graduating class at the same school. I had an acquaintance of ours follow me around all night and was just in general very creepy. Another girl was not happy with her marriage and she kept hitting on every single guy there. My one friend had to keep her back from the main bar cause some creepy older guy was trying to take her home. 

All in all it was nice catching up with some people I don't keep in touch with but I think I will probably skip future reunions if they are anything like this.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards