Wedding Party
Options

Day of wedding with big bridal party

My hair stylist and makeup artist are arriving 8 hours before our "need to be ready by" time to help beautify me, my mom, FI's mom, my 9 bridesmaids, and my 2 flower girls. Lawd help me.

Is 8 hours absolutely overkill? I'm supplying food, drinks, etc. but I feel like I should let my wedding party know that they're not obligated to stay in the room for 8 hours... or is that maybe an unnecessary idea? I'd be worried about someone leaving and then not getting back in time to get hair or makeup done. 

I wasn't going to bother with a hair/makeup schedule of who goes when because I think that's too controlling, but now I'm wondering if I should? 
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Day of wedding with big bridal party

• Options
    I don't think that's overkill at all. That's A LOT of people. If you only have one hair stylist and one MUA, (I'm assuming that the flower girls won't take as long - about half the time), that's only like 36 minutes per person.

Are you able to hire one or two more stylists to help? 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    You have 14 people who need hair and makeup.  That is a lot of people and going to take quite a bit of time.  Are you only having one stylist and MUA to do all of them?

Cutting out the flower girls, because like PP said they won't take nearly as much time as everyone else, that leaves you with 12 people.  Guesstimating that hair and make up will take 30 minutes each.  So one girl will get hair done while another is getting makeup, so there is 30 minutes.  Then they switch and there is another 30 minutes.  So mathematically it will take 7 hours just to get everyone dolled up and that isn't including the flower girls.  So yeah, 8 hours is about right.

Now if you have more then one stylist for each, the amount of time will definitely be cut down.

As for who needs to be there and when, I would make out a schedule and let each person know when they are scheduled for.  This way they won't have to sit around for 5 hours watching other people get their hair and makeup done.  That is just boring.  And once they get done they should be free to do whatever until it is time to get dress and pictures and such.

• Options
    You have 14 people who need hair and makeup.  That is a lot of people and going to take quite a bit of time.  Are you only having one stylist and MUA to do all of them?

Cutting out the flower girls, because like PP said they won't take nearly as much time as everyone else, that leaves you with 12 people.  Guesstimating that hair and make up will take 30 minutes each.  So one girl will get hair done while another is getting makeup, so there is 30 minutes.  Then they switch and there is another 30 minutes.  So mathematically it will take 7 hours just to get everyone dolled up and that isn't including the flower girls.  So yeah, 8 hours is about right.

Now if you have more then one stylist for each, the amount of time will definitely be cut down.

As for who needs to be there and when, I would make out a schedule and let each person know when they are scheduled for.  This way they won't have to sit around for 5 hours watching other people get their hair and makeup done.  That is just boring.  And once they get done they should be free to do whatever until it is time to get dress and pictures and such.

Yes, the makeup artist and hair stylist have each estimated about 30 minutes per person. The MUA is bringing an assistant but the hair stylist says she plans to do everything on her own. 

I'm fine with doing the schedule but any suggestions on how to choose who goes when? I feel like whoever gets their makeup done at 8:30am is getting the short end of the stick... do I ask for volunteers? 

• Options
    peachy13 said:

Yes, the makeup artist and hair stylist have each estimated about 30 minutes per person. The MUA is bringing an assistant but the hair stylist says she plans to do everything on her own. 

I'm fine with doing the schedule but any suggestions on how to choose who goes when? I feel like whoever gets their makeup done at 8:30am is getting the short end of the stick... do I ask for volunteers? 
    Well I was in a wedding a couple years ago and I was one of the "lucky" one's that had to get their hair done first (8:30am) when the wedding wasn't until 4pm.  Did it suck?  Yes, but someone has to go first.  Your best bet is to either ask for volunteers or just throw everyone's name in a hat and pick randomly.  Of course you will probably go close to last and I would put the flower girls close to last as well.  Or what about the Mom's?  Will your FMIL want to go hang out with her son at all?  Maybe she will want to go first and then head out.  Maybe your Mom will want to go first and then she is free to do any last minute stuff?

• Options
    IMO, it's kind of crazy to only have one hair stylist and one makeup artist for 14 people. Do they already know how they're doing everyone's hair and makeup? 
  • Options
    IMO, it's kind of crazy to only have one hair stylist and one makeup artist for 14 people. Do they already know how they're doing everyone's hair and makeup? 
    That scares me too. That 30 minutes is cutting it close anyway. If she takes 35 on a handful of them or someone is 5 minutes late for their "slot", she gets way too backed up to catch up. Not to mention, I can't imagine anyone doing hair for 7 hours straight without a break. She's going to need to stop and pee at the very least, but she's probably going to need a break to get a cup of coffee and and snack just to keep going that long. 

I would really try to schedule a second set of hands to help with the hair to make sure you're done in time. 
    I agree. Even if it's just to pre-curl or something like that. At my brother's wedding, a friend curled everyone's hair and then the stylist "did" it. My hair is waist-length and thick and took at least 45 minutes just to curl. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    That scares me too. That 30 minutes is cutting it close anyway. If she takes 35 on a handful of them or someone is 5 minutes late for their "slot", she gets way too backed up to catch up. Not to mention, I can't imagine anyone doing hair for 7 hours straight without a break. She's going to need to stop and pee at the very least, but she's probably going to need a break to get a cup of coffee and and snack just to keep going that long. 

I would really try to schedule a second set of hands to help with the hair to make sure you're done in time. 
    I agree. Even if it's just to pre-curl or something like that. At my brother's wedding, a friend curled everyone's hair and then the stylist "did" it. My hair is waist-length and thick and took at least 45 minutes just to curl. 
    Yeah.  One hair stylist and one makeup artist for 14 people is just too few.  And if anyone needs a redo, it cuts into the time available for everyone else.
  • Options
    I mean, if it helps, this hair stylist does like three weddings a week. She's a PRO. I'm pretty sure she did her own bridesmaids' hair for her own wedding last year. I had my hair trial a few weeks ago and it literally took 30 minutes.. and I'm having two styles during my wedding. She seemed pretty comfortable with the 8 hours to get everyone done. And the moms are just doing light fluffing, the bridesmaids are just doing some pretty simple stuff, nothing crazy.

• Options
    I'd find out ahead of time what kind of style everyone wants. Also what kind of makeup people want.

Then I'd actually consult the stylist. See which ones she thinks should be done first and will still look best the longest / will be easier to touch up at the very end if they need it.

I'd think a simple updo nailed in with a lot of hairspray may last longer than a blow-out or hanging curls [on someone with normally straight hair]. But of this I'm really not sure. Stylist may have more input.

But I agree with the others... an extra stylist, or at least an assistant, would be good.
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited September 2015
    peachy13 said:
    I mean, if it helps, this hair stylist does like three weddings a week. She's a PRO. I'm pretty sure she did her own bridesmaids' hair for her own wedding last year. I had my hair trial a few weeks ago and it literally took 30 minutes.. and I'm having two styles during my wedding. She seemed pretty comfortable with the 8 hours to get everyone done. And the moms are just doing light fluffing, the bridesmaids are just doing some pretty simple stuff, nothing crazy.
    Regardless of how experienced and professional she is, she has to work on 14 people in 8 hours.  That's just waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long.  It's a full workday.  I know your OP says you're providing food and drinks, but is that just snacks or a full meal? Given how long they'll be working, they deserve a full meal from you if you're not going to have anyone else to do it and shorten the time accordingly.
  • Options
    Since you're confident with the stylist, I will address the questions in your OP. I would DEFINITELY make a scheduled of who goes when. This will allow people to come and go as they please (so the noon hair spot won't be sitting around since 8 am) and will help keep everyone on a schedule (so no "oh I wanted to go later, do Jenny now" discussions that will waste time). Have the hair styles selected in advance also. I agree with a PP to have the up dos and longer lasting styles done first, so knowing the styles will help you pick time slots.

I also recommend giving a little wiggle room for touch ups. 

I'm not that worried about the stylists breaks and lunches and stuff. When I'm busy at work, I eat while I work (or between tasks) and it's NBD. I would allow them to take breaks as needed but they don't need to sit around for half hour. They're professionals and used to this. But make sure to have more than just bagels or small snacks for the stylists. 
  • Options
    Since you're confident with the stylist, I will address the questions in your OP. I would DEFINITELY make a scheduled of who goes when. This will allow people to come and go as they please (so the noon hair spot won't be sitting around since 8 am) and will help keep everyone on a schedule (so no "oh I wanted to go later, do Jenny now" discussions that will waste time). Have the hair styles selected in advance also. I agree with a PP to have the up dos and longer lasting styles done first, so knowing the styles will help you pick time slots.

I also recommend giving a little wiggle room for touch ups. 

I'm not that worried about the stylists breaks and lunches and stuff. When I'm busy at work, I eat while I work (or between tasks) and it's NBD. I would allow them to take breaks as needed but they don't need to sit around for half hour. They're professionals and used to this. But make sure to have more than just bagels or small snacks for the stylists. 

Thank you, that's a really good idea.

• Options
    I have hairdressers in my family, and this sounds INSANE. Working on your feet for 8 hours, with just snacks on the run? I'd hate to be the last person in her chair, getting the exhausted, hungry hairdresser. And you can't eat while you work if your work is all about using your hands and chemicals to style someone else's hair.

Make sure to at the very least schedule a half lunch hour break for them if you don't have a second stylist. They'll need it for stamina if nothing else.
  • Options
    I have hairdressers in my family, and this sounds INSANE. Working on your feet for 8 hours, with just snacks on the run? I'd hate to be the last person in her chair, getting the exhausted, hungry hairdresser. And you can't eat while you work if your work is all about using your hands and chemicals to style someone else's hair. Make sure to at the very least schedule a half lunch hour break for them if you don't have a second stylist. They'll need it for stamina if nothing else.
    You've never worked eight consecutive hours? Even at home or in the yard? I get that it's not ideal but this is their job. If I were contracted and paid to style 14 people, I would know the time it needs and prepare myself. I suggested that OP get some substantial food for the stylists and they can eat between people or take a few short breaks. I don't know anyone who needs a half hour to eat a sandwich or salad, especially while on the job.
  • Options

I have hairdressers in my family, and this sounds INSANE. Working on your feet for 8 hours, with just snacks on the run? I'd hate to be the last person in her chair, getting the exhausted, hungry hairdresser. And you can't eat while you work if your work is all about using your hands and chemicals to style someone else's hair.

Make sure to at the very least schedule a half lunch hour break for them if you don't have a second stylist. They'll need it for stamina if nothing else.

You've never worked eight consecutive hours? Even at home or in the yard? I get that it's not ideal but this is their job. If I were contracted and paid to style 14 people, I would know the time it needs and prepare myself. I suggested that OP get some substantial food for the stylists and they can eat between people or take a few short breaks. I don't know anyone who needs a half hour to eat a sandwich or salad, especially while on the job.

I said half an hour because that's what's required by law for employees - it's not for contractors, but it makes sense.

I've definitely worked through lunch at my desk, and I know I've made more mistakes as a result. People CAN work 8 hours straight, but in reality, even the best of us tend to get sloppy if we do.

No, she doesn't have to provide that time, but I would in her position. Not only would I feel terrible asking another human to work 8 hours without a break, but I'd be afraid that my hour 6 or so, the quality just wouldn't be as good.
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited September 2015

I guess you don't know any human beings then.

A mere sandwich or salad is not enough in an 8 hour day. Honestly, I'd give an hour to eat, and I'd provide a meal. To suggest that a hair stylist or makeup artist should get less of a break or less to eat comes off as very, very arrogant and uncaring about them.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Are you sure the moms want appointments? My daughter invited the MOG and I  to get our hair done with the wedding party. We declined. I did my own hair, which is short,  and MOG went  to my stylist. I slept in, read the morning paper and had two cups of  tea before I headed out for the afternoon ceremony. 

If the moms want appointments, they might prefer the early ones. 

• Options
    I would also ask everyone to have a picture from pinterest or something to show the stylist how they want their hair. 

• Options
    Jen4948 said:
    I have hairdressers in my family, and this sounds INSANE. Working on your feet for 8 hours, with just snacks on the run? I'd hate to be the last person in her chair, getting the exhausted, hungry hairdresser. And you can't eat while you work if your work is all about using your hands and chemicals to style someone else's hair. Make sure to at the very least schedule a half lunch hour break for them if you don't have a second stylist. They'll need it for stamina if nothing else.
    I guess you don't know any human beings then. A mere sandwich or salad is not enough in an 8 hour day. Honestly, I'd give an hour to eat, and I'd provide a meal. To suggest that a hair stylist or makeup artist should get less of a break or less to eat comes off as very, very arrogant and uncaring about them.
    People don't require an hour to eat lunch (and I'd bet most don't get an hour at work), especially when completing a time-sensitive task.
  • Options
    Jen4948 said:
    I guess you don't know any human beings then. A mere sandwich or salad is not enough in an 8 hour day. Honestly, I'd give an hour to eat, and I'd provide a meal. To suggest that a hair stylist or makeup artist should get less of a break or less to eat comes off as very, very arrogant and uncaring about them.
    People don't require an hour to eat lunch (and I'd bet most don't get an hour at work), especially when completing a time-sensitive task.
    No one said they should take an hour. I suggested a half hour, and ShesSoCold said people don't need a half hour for lunch. I disagree. 

And, btw, if you work over a meal time, a 30 minute lunch break is required for employees by NY state law. I know it's not uniform throughout the country, but that's the only one I know off the top of my head because that's where I work. 
  • Options
    snowywintersnowywinter member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited September 2015
    Jen4948 said:
    No one said they should take an hour. I suggested a half hour, and ShesSoCold said people don't need a half hour for lunch. I disagree. 

And, btw, if you work over a meal time, a 30 minute lunch break is required for employees by NY state law. I know it's not uniform throughout the country, but that's the only one I know off the top of my head because that's where I work. 
    Read the post I was responding to. It specifically states "I'd give an hour to eat and I'd provide a meal." THAT'S what I was replying to and I quoted it to make it clear. And not that I disagree that 30 minutes should be given for lunch because I don't, but just FYI, every law that applies to employees doesn't necessarily apply to independent contractors and most makeup artists are independent contractors.
  • Options
    Jen4948 said:

Read the post I was responding to. It specifically states "I'd give an hour to eat and I'd provide a meal." THAT'S what I was replying to and I quoted it to make it clear.
    Sorry! I was confused by the bolded part and my yet-untouched coffee. My bad!
  • Options
    You're right, Jen. I've never actually met a human being. Only all the dogs.

I'm not saying OP needs to be a stylist slave driver. From the perspective of the stylists, there's no way I'd be sitting around looking at my watch, taking an exact lunch break (whether it's a half hour, an hour, seven hours) just because I can when I have 14 heads to style. The stylist has been contracted and knows what she's doing. She's confident in her ability to style 14 heads in eight hours. Let her do it. Maybe she's already factored in a break and believes she can do all the hair in 7.5 hours, which would make this entire discussion moot. 

I'm not saying that no stylist ever should have a lunch break. I'm not saying OP's stylist shouldn't be allowed to eat or sit. I'm saying that I would be willing to bet that the stylist is used to this sort of thing and has planned for it. 
  • Options

I'm not saying OP needs to be a stylist slave driver. From the perspective of the stylists, there's no way I'd be sitting around looking at my watch, taking an exact lunch break (whether it's a half hour, an hour, seven hours) just because I can when I have 14 heads to style. The stylist has been contracted and knows what she's doing. She's confident in her ability to style 14 heads in eight hours. Let her do it. Maybe she's already factored in a break and believes she can do all the hair in 7.5 hours, which would make this entire discussion moot. 

I'm not saying that no stylist ever should have a lunch break. I'm not saying OP's stylist shouldn't be allowed to eat or sit. I'm saying that I would be willing to bet that the stylist is used to this sort of thing and has planned for it. 
    Whether or not she is or has planned for it, I would plan for a longer lunch break with a paid-for meal.  It's plain politeness and courtesy.  Other workers are required to get time off for a meal when working 8 hours days; this is not different.
  • Options
    Jen4948 said:

Whether or not she is or has planned for it, I would plan for a longer lunch break with a paid-for meal.  It's plain politeness and courtesy.  Other workers are required to get time off for a meal when working 8 hours days; this is not different.
    But it is.   A contracted or salaried employee does not necessarily take time as a lunch break.   As a salaried employee, I'm entitled to lunch but I may need to work through it.   That's part of the deal.

I agree that the OP should provide lunch but as a contracted employee in this situation, I'd treat the vendor just like we should treat vendors who work through the reception - ask what they want.   The MUA may want a full break and a hot lunch or she may want sandwiches that she can eat quickly.   Depending on the sandwich, it could be more than enough or she may want to grab a few bites here and there between attendants.  
  • Options
    edited September 2015

Jen4948 said:

The hairstylist is a contractor, not an employee. She is setting her own work hours to meet  the needs of her clients. She should know how much time she needs for lunch.  If the bride is providing lunch or snacks for the bms, she should offer the same refreshments to the hair stylist and MU artist.  If the stylist and MU artist  require a full meal,  provided by the bride, it should be noted n the contract. 

• Options

Jen4948 said:

The hairstylist is a contractor, not an employee. She is setting her own work hours to meet  the needs of her clients. She should know how much time she needs for lunch.  If the bride is providing lunch or snacks for the bms, she should offer the same refreshments to the hair stylist and MU artist.  If the stylist and MU artist  require a full, provided by the bride, it should be noted n the contract. 
    Fair enough.  I just don't think it ought to be assumed that all she needs is one sandwich with one half-hour to eat it unless she says so herself.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Honestly, I think you need to hire additional MUAs and stylists. . .
    14 people is far too many for a single MUA and hair stylist to handle, no matter what they tell you they can do. 

I'm saying this as a person who has been in a ton of weddings, several of which had large bridal parties.  It sucks having to sit around for hours and hours waiting to have your hair and makeup done and then sitting around trying not to do too much so you don't screw up your hair and make up once it's done.  And many, many times it has been my experience that shit goes wrong the day off and the 'getting ready" schedule runs an hour or more behind.

The last wedding I was in had half that amount of people having their hair and make up done and we ended up running about 2hours behind. . . like the MOB and MOG were still getting their hair and make up done as the rest of the bridal party had to leave to go to the church.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    Jen4948 said:

Jen4948 said:

The hairstylist is a contractor, not an employee. She is setting her own work hours to meet  the needs of her clients. She should know how much time she needs for lunch.  If the bride is providing lunch or snacks for the bms, she should offer the same refreshments to the hair stylist and MU artist.  If the stylist and MU artist  require a full, provided by the bride, it should be noted n the contract. 
    Fair enough.  I just don't think it ought to be assumed that all she needs is one sandwich with one half-hour to eat it unless she says so herself.
    Unless she says otherwise, that's what's going to be assumed by me.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards