Wedding Woes
Options

95% sure this isn't really an issue but...might as well check!

2»

Re: 95% sure this isn't really an issue but...might as well check!

• Options
    MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2016

Start it off with asking your guests to get into a circle with you in the center...  Then WP...  Then kids, and guests...  Look like you're going to get serious...  Then have the DJ fire up the Chicken Dance...  No one will be expecting it, everyone will laugh, and you get it out of the way without it feeling like all eyes are on you...

I also agree with the others in that the "First Dance" is what signals "Dance floor is open!" for better or worse...  That doesn't mean you HAVE to do it, but think about some level of compromise (such as involving your WP too or all your guests wanting to dance) or your DJ announcing "Let's get this party started"...

• Options
    Hahaaaaaaaa, DEFINITELY DO CHICKEN DANCE!!! :D 

To offer a contrary opinion, in my area spotlight dances are done immediately after the WP enters the reception, before supper. Everyone manages to start dancing after supper regardless! 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

To offer a contrary opinion, in my area spotlight dances are done immediately after the WP enters the reception, before supper. Everyone manages to start dancing after supper regardless! 
    I imagine it still might confuse them if the B&G haven't yet danced after dinner, and they're not sure if they're going to or if they should wait, etc.
  • Options

I imagine it still might confuse them if the B&G haven't yet danced after dinner, and they're not sure if they're going to or if they should wait, etc.
    Couldn't a simple announcement from the DJ or band solve this? Seriously, OP should not feel compelled to dance if it is embarrassing or otherwise unwanted, just to open the dance floor.
  • Options
    I'll put it to my FI, maybe he can help me feel a bit better about it. I definitely don't look forward to it, but do I want to potentially cause the dancefloor to be empty fot a while? Hell. No. I do want a party atmosphere and I have no problem dancing when other people are up and I'm not a 'spectacle' of sorts, so I'm starting to feel like it might be worth it. And if we do, it will 100% be first verse only. Woe betide anyone in the wp or family that doesn't come up to join us when asked!

And then obvs we need to practise the routine and/or the chicken dance  ;)

• Options
    Don't feel compelled to do it but you could find a song that has wedding party involved and that could open up the dance floor? I know a PP advised this usually opens up the dance floor, so maybe that could be an option!
  • Options

Couldn't a simple announcement from the DJ or band solve this? Seriously, OP should not feel compelled to dance if it is embarrassing or otherwise unwanted, just to open the dance floor.
    I'm not even close to saying that she needs to dance, and I said as much in a PP. I'm saying that your logic is faulty, at least as succinctly stated in your previous post.

If spotlight dances happen before dinner, then the signal that "the bride and groom have danced, others may now do so" has still happened. So she does need some other signal, like the DJ announcement, and what you stated before (i.e. your experience that the first dance happens before dinner and people still dance after) doesn't offer an alternative suggestion for a signal.
  • Options

I'm not even close to saying that she needs to dance, and I said as much in a PP. I'm saying that your logic is faulty, at least as succinctly stated in your previous post.

If spotlight dances happen before dinner, then the signal that "the bride and groom have danced, others may now do so" has still happened. So she does need some other signal, like the DJ announcement, and what you stated before (i.e. your experience that the first dance happens before dinner and people still dance after) doesn't offer an alternative suggestion for a signal.
    In my experience, dancing is the primary event at weddings. (Although it won't be at mine.) The way it goes around here, B&G are announced into reception, first dance, then F&D dance and M&S dance if there is one, then dinner. After dinner the DJ usually puts on an upbeat popular song and goes, "Allllllright everybody on the dance floor!" or something. In my first post I didn't literally mean that supper ends and everyone sits around twiddling their thumbs waiting for dancing. I just meant skipping the dance doesn't mean no one knows to dance after supper. You get up and dance when the dinner playlist ends and the DJ starts playing dancing music. Maybe it's just regional but I don't even understand the dilemma.
  • Options
    *Barbie* said:

This needs to happen at every wedding!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards