Chit Chat

Any Fantasy Football people around?

This is the first year I'm doing it.    Our draft is tonight and I have the first pick.

If you have drafted what do your teams look like?

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 

Re: Any Fantasy Football people around?

• ME! I used to loathe football until I started doing Fantasy. Now I love it. H and I spend pretty much all day Sunday watching as many games as possible (we have Sunday Ticket, so we get them all).

H and I have been doing it for, like, 6 years now. Our draft was last weekend. This year we only have 8 people (we've had 10 most years), and I drafted 6th.

Yahoo Sports grades drafts, and I got a C. But that's because I don't follow their rankings (I trust Matthew Berry at ESPN over all other fantasy analysts). I also like to take risks, so there's that.

Here's my team, in the order I drafted them:
    Todd Gurley
    Le'Veon Bell
    Brandin Cooks
    Thomas Rawls
    Demaryius Thomas
    Kelvin Benjamin
    Carson Palmer
    Julius Thomas (I regret this, probably should've gone Gary Barnidge)
    Michael Crabtree
    Denver Defense
    Matt Jones
    Tyler Lockett
    Zach Miller
    Derek Carr
    Chandler Catanzaro

The general consensus in the pas has always been to draft RBs in the first two rounds, but that's kind of gone by the wayside. (Just happens to have worked for me this year, but not really intentionally.)

Definitely pick WRs and RBs in the first 3-4 rounds at least - these are your biggest point-getters. If you can get a top-3 TE early on, do that too. A lot of people will say to wait until later rounds for a QB, which I generally agree with unless you can get a top-3 QB early.

A good thing to remember is that your team will likely change drastically over the course of the season, as you add people off waivers, drop injured players, and make trades. Don't put TOO much stock in your drafted team, because it will look different as the season progresses.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • If you have the first pick, I'd take Antonio Brown or Odell Beckam Jr. in the first round. Just so happens this year's top players are mostly WRs.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I am!  I have my second draft tonight, that's a 10 team PPR league.

My first draft was for a 10 person standard league.  I had pick 5 and have:

Ben Roethlisberger  - QB - (I hate him but I had to)
    Odell Beckham Jr - WR
    TY Hilton - WR
    Mark Ingram  - RB
    Matt Forte - RB
    Antonio Gates - TE
    Julian Edelman - FLEX
    Steven Haushka (K)
    Houston (DEF)
    ---
    Le'veon Bell - RB- (hence my Ben pick - double points) 
    Larry Fitzgerald - WR
    Allen Hurns - WR
    Duke Johnson - RB
    Derek Carr - QB
    Zach Miller - TE

Good luck tonight!  Just remember, Vikings QB is out so his RB will be valuable but his WR won't be!
  • I'm planning on taking Antonio Brown.     Then go from there.  We have 10 players.  So there are 19 picks until I can pick again.  Most of these guys are experienced, so we will see how it goes.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    My draft is tonight!  My team name is always Gangreen Eileen in honor of my favorite NFL team, the Jets   :D

Ditto PP that WRs and RBs are the best first picks.  A top TE will get you a good 20 points per game though, so if you have the chance, grab one.  Good luck!
  • lyndausvi said:
    I'm planning on taking Antonio Brown.     Then go from there.  We have 10 players.  So there are 19 picks until I can pick again.  Most of these guys are experienced, so we will see how it goes.
    I'd pick him and then stick to best available WR/RB for the first 4-5 picks, then move on to best available QB/TE, and then back ups.  Save your Defensive and kicker for the last 2-3 rounds!  Also pay attention to your bye-weeks when picking back ups.  I didn't do that my first year and had to trade for a weaker TE with a different bye week.

If it's standard scoring, your RBs are most valuable; if it's PPR - you want the best WRs.  But Antonio Brown always first.
  • thx.

• lyndausvi said:
    thx.
    Or not.  Tonight's draft sucked and I got a C grade.  Damn you 9th pick!
  • If you have the first pick, I'd take Antonio Brown or Odell Beckam Jr. in the first round. Just so happens this year's top players are mostly WRs.
    Don't you fucking do it, @lyndausvi! This is one of the reasons why I can't do fantasy football. How can you be a die hard Eagles fan and ever want a Giants player to do well? It's ludicrous. In all seriousness, I think I'd probably enjoy fantasy football... but these types of situations make me avoid avoid avoid.
  • LOL.

I took AB.   I did take Jordan Reed from Washington.    Him and Ryan Matthews were the only NFC players I took.

• I missed the my first FFL draft because we were at dinner with H's aunt... Here's what autodraft gave me:

1.  Odell Beckham, Jr.
    2.  Brandon Marshall
    3.  Brandin Cooks
    4.  Aaron Rodgers (Woot!)
    5.  DeMarco Murray
    6.  Duke Johnson, Jr (....)
    7.  Jordan Matthews (ANOTHER WR?!?!)
    8.  Michael Crabtree (OMG NO MORE WR PLZ)
    9.  Torrey Smith (...I hate you)
    10.  Isaiah Crowell (really?  2 Browns RBs?)
    11.  Corey Coleman (........ isn't there a league limit on the number of WRs one can have???????)
    12.  Julius Thomas
    13.  Jerick McKinnon
    14.  Mason Crosby
    15.  Matt Prater
    16.  The Vikings

My other league is a keeper league (keeping 2 from last year's team), and I already know I'm a goner.  That draft is next week.  It'll be slim pickins.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Last year was my first year doing it and I've said I'm boycotting this year because the last time made me so mad! I had a solid lineup and I still got beat almost every single week by other teams who hadn't even fully completed their lineup! I was so pissed. 
    Anniversary

• @AtomicBlonde At least you have trade bait!
  • Remember everyone who picked LeVeon Bell, he's out for three games.

H is super in to fantasy (he just drove 10 hours to be at his draft in person), but I haven't done my own in a few years. I'd love to get into a league, but since we're new around here we haven't found ones yet.

H is super in to fantasy (he just drove 10 hours to be at his draft in person), but I haven't done my own in a few years. I'd love to get into a league, but since we're new around here we haven't found ones yet.
    Aw I wish I knew that!  We had a last minute cancellation on Tuesday that I would have invited you to fill.

Aw I wish I knew that!  We had a last minute cancellation on Tuesday that I would have invited you to fill.
    Aw bummer! I totally would have done it!
  • I'm sad I'm not playing. My work did start up a league but I was afraid I'd have baby brain and forget to make changes and be one of those people who doesn't fully commit so I passed. Hopefully next year though because I enjoy it. 
  • lc07 said:
    If you have the first pick, I'd take Antonio Brown or Odell Beckam Jr. in the first round. Just so happens this year's top players are mostly WRs.
    Don't you fucking do it, @lyndausvi! This is one of the reasons why I can't do fantasy football. How can you be a die hard Eagles fan and ever want a Giants player to do well? It's ludicrous. In all seriousness, I think I'd probably enjoy fantasy football... but these types of situations make me avoid avoid avoid.
    It's a struggle. I'm a diehard Seahawks fan, and it was REALLY hard watching, say, the Panthers play the Seahawks when Greg Olsen got a TD (I had Greg Olsen last year). It fucks with your mind.

BUT - it's super fun most of the time!

Remember everyone who picked LeVeon Bell, he's out for three games.

Eh, worth it as far as I'm concerned. Same as someone drafting Tom Brady - it'll pay off later. Not that I would EVER draft Brady. Fuck the Patriots.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @madamerwin and @charlotte989875 I have Le'Veon Bell in my standard draft and a coworker who thinks like me beat me to D'Angelo Williams.  Bastard.

FI drafted Brady, Bell and a bunch of bye week 8 people last night and still graded better than me according to Yahoo.  His team is going to hurt for at least 4 weeks, what crap!
  • lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited September 2016
    scribe95 said:
    My first fantasy league goes way back to 1995 and it was all by hand! I was the only girl of course. So glad others are enjoying it now. 

My draft is tonight and I have the sucky 11th pick. Ugh.
    I'm the only girl on my league.     I really side-eye 2 of the guys.   One guy picked Trevor Seimian as his first pick.  WTF?   Not surprising he is a Broncos fan.    

Then another guy picked FOUR QB's and had to get his Raider's defense pretty early on.

We did it through ESPN, I don't think they do grades.  If they do I couldn't find it.   I'm guessing around a C.

Ben Roethlisberger  - QB
    Lamar Miller -RB
    Eddie Lacy -RB
    Antonio Brown - WR 
    Eric Decker - WR

Jordan Reed - TE

Ryan Mathews  - Flex

Steven Hauschka - K
    Seahawks D/ST

Bench (most of which was auto picked)

Tyrod Taylor, Buf QB
    Tim Hightower, NO RB
    Christine Michael, Sea RB
    DeVante Parker, Mia WR
    Chris Ivory, Jax RB
    Jay Ajayi, Mia RB
    Patriots D/ST D/ST

• lyndausvi said:
    scribe95 said:
    My first fantasy league goes way back to 1995 and it was all by hand! I was the only girl of course. So glad others are enjoying it now. 

My draft is tonight and I have the sucky 11th pick. Ugh.
    I'm the only girl on my league.     I really side-eye 2 of the guys.   One guy picked Trevor Seimian as his first pick.  WTF?   Not surprising he is a Broncos fan.    

Then another guy picked FOUR QB's and had to get his Raider's defense pretty early on.

We did it through ESPN, I don't think they do grades.  If they do I couldn't find it.   I'm guessing around a C.

Ben Roethlisberger  - QB
    Lamar Miller -RB
    Eddie Lacy -RB
    Antonio Brown - WR 
    Eric Decker - WR

Jordan Reed - TE

Ryan Mathews  - Flex

Steven Hauschka - K
    Seahawks D/ST

Bench (most of which was auto picked)

Tyrod Taylor, Buf QB
    Tim Hightower, NO RB
    Christine Michael, Sea RB
    DeVante Parker, Mia WR
    Chris Ivory, Jax RB
    Jay Ajayi, Mia RB
    Patriots D/ST D/ST
    Your team looks pretty great to me! I'm guessing a B, at least :)

To the bolded - those are some emotional picks right there. Best to avoid emotion when drafting, especially in the first few rounds... We have a keeper league (you have the option to keep one of your players from the previous year in place of a first round pick), and one of my league mates kept the Seahawks D as their first pick. She HATES the Seahawks, but had their D last year. H tried to get her to trade them to him every week, but she refused. Pretty sure she kept them out of spite, and everyone gave her a ton of shit for it. Don't think she realized what a stupid choice it was.

Interesting choice to pick four QBs...  Most people in our league got two, at MOST. A lot of people just got one, figuring they can pick up a backup later. Granted we only have 8 league members, so there were a lot of good people undrafted.

BIL's strategy was to pick ONLY RBs and WRs for the first 12 rounds, then get a TE, QB, and D in the last rounds. No kicker, he said he'd get one later. Weird strategy, I think, but to each their own.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @lyndausvi I think that's a strong starting line!  Good job!  In both of my leagues (work and FI's) my coworker/friend and I am are the only females.  She knows way more about other teams players than I do but I usually kick her butt.

@madamerwin we joke because I love Justin Tucker and always aim for him, but I picked him in the 13th round.  Defense as your keeper, that is just stupid.
  • The guy who has 4 QB's has Brees, Brady, Carr and Manning.   I guess he is hoping to get good trades out of that.   Not sure, but I guess we will see how it plays out.

I'm sitting pretty good when it comes to bye weeks.  The guy who picked Siemian also picked a bunch of broncos (except their Defense, DH picked them out of spite).  Also a few Atlanta and San Diego players.  He is going to be hurting come week 11 because they all have byes.

• I just remembered my other league is a keeper.  I get to keep 2, but each player I "keep" is considered a draft pick, so I wouldn't be able to draft for real until round 3.  I can trade players for draft picks, though, if I am reading the email correctly (not that I have anyone really worth trading).

Thoughts on who I should keep?  My team ST-R-U-G-G-LED last year, and I had so many injuries I had to play off the waivers most of the second half of the season, and it's not great.

Aaron Rodgers
    DeMarco Murray
    Duke Johnson
    Brandon LaFell
    Michael Crabtree
    Jimmy Graham
    Heath Miller
    James Starks
    Carlos Hyde
    Vincent Jackson
    Philip Rivers
    Terrance Williams
    Leonard Hankerson
    Rishard Matthews
    Martellus Bennett
    Mason Crosby

DH says to keep Rodgers.  I'd like a second opinion.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• If you choose to keep anyone, I agree with H.  Rodgers is second best for QBs but ADP is 33, so you're way overvaluing him with that strategy.  What's your pick?

Demarco Murray is 37- 16 RB
    Duke Johnson is 81 - 33 RB
    Lafell isn't even top 150
    Crabtree is 93 - 38th WR
    Jimmy Graham is 130 overall and 12th in TE

• When do you pick @AtomicBlonde? As in how early in the round would you pick? Rodgers wouldn't be a bad keeper, but is he worth not getting someone like Antonio Brown, Odell Beckam Jr, or Julio Jones? If you're not until the middle or end of the pick round maybe keeping him isn't too bad. 
  • When do you pick @AtomicBlonde? As in how early in the round would you pick? Rodgers wouldn't be a bad keeper, but is he worth not getting someone like Antonio Brown, Odell Beckam Jr, or Julio Jones? If you're not until the middle or end of the pick round maybe keeping him isn't too bad. 
    My thought too was if you had the 8,9, or 10 th pick to let him go and grab him on the second round.  That way you have a strong chance of getting Rodgers and an AJ Green or someone else.
  • I drafted Graham at H's insistence last year, and he was so underwhelming I could have killed H for suggesting it.  I don't really want to keep anyone, but all the best players are already gone and probably going to be kept.  I'm 4th in draft pick.  I won't know who is keeping which players until about an hour before the draft.

One guy has Beckham, Antonio Brown and Allen Robinson, so he'll have to drop or trade one of them.

--Philip Pullman

• I have now spent way too much time this morning thinking about my draft options for this stupid league.

I have draft picks #4, 14, and 24, and snake draft begins in round 3.  If I keep Rodgers and only Rodgers, my next two picks will be from the pool.  If I don't keep Rodgers, I'll likely have first pick of anyone I want from the pool and probably be able to pick him back up in round 2, or maybe even 3.

The first 3 teams will keep at least 1 player, probably 2.  Wild cards are 5, 7, and 9, meaning I'd take my chances with a whole new team.  I am wondering if I should try to trade my third round draft pick to the guy who has Beckham, Brown, and Robinson (drafting #6), and hope the first 3 teams drafting don't get that idea.  I have no idea who will be left in the pool once all the keepers are selected.

Decisions... decisions...

--Philip Pullman

• @AtomicBlonde your league sounds WAY more complicated than mine! We only get one keeper, and you had to decide BEFORE draft order was determined who, if anyone, you'd keep. So you risk keeping someone who may be the 5th or 6th in the rankings, but then getting the first or second pick. Our draft also snakes from the first round, and you can't trade keepers for draft picks. Only one person had a keeper, because no one else wanted to risk potentially getting a better pick in the first round if they had a good draft position.

If you keep anyone, I agree with PPs to keep Aaron Rodgers. Will you know who other managers will be keeping beforehand? Because that would make a difference too. If everyone keeps 1-2 players, then you may also want to keep 2 since you wouldn't likely be able to draft anyone better anyway. If that's the case, I'd keep DeMarco Murray, but as PP pointed out, you should be able to get a better pick if you DON'T keep him (he's 37th in ADP rankings, you have the 14th and 24th picks).

This makes me glad our draft rules are so simple!
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards