Chit Chat
Options

"This is us"

Just saw the pilot (they aired 2 eps, right) but it's being talked about a lot on facebook (the only reason why I knew it existed)....anyone else jump on this bandwagon?  They say it's the new "parenthood" which I never got into but should.

I didn't really care for it until the end.  But I do like - and relate to - Kate.  I think I'll give ep 2 a try tonight. 

Re: "This is us"

• Options
    I watched it. I was intrigued by the previews, mostly Kate as well so I recorded it. I watched it yesterday and sort of felt like you in that it wasn't great but then now with the ending it's like ok gotta keep watching. I actually wanted to watch it again to look for clues. 
  • Options
    DH and I watched one episode last night. We really enjoyed it, especially the twist ending. I think it has the potential to be a really good show.

• Options
    And I'm really out of the loop because I had NO idea that was Mandy Moore! Not that I really paid attention to what she looked like anyway.  But I am out of the loop in a lot of things. 

• Options
    And I'm really out of the loop because I had NO idea that was Mandy Moore! Not that I really paid attention to what she looked like anyway.  But I am out of the loop in a lot of things. 
    I noticed it was Mandy Moore but I didn't realize the husband was Jess from Gilmore Girls until I saw the name in an article and it rang a bell. I still don't really see him in the character from This is us (forget his name)
  • Options
    kvruns said:
    I noticed it was Mandy Moore but I didn't realize the husband was Jess from Gilmore Girls until I saw the name in an article and it rang a bell. I still don't really see him in the character from This is us (forget his name)
    It is?!?

• Options
    Yep @CharmedPam I only knew because I saw an article with the name Milo Ventmiglia (or something like that) and I was like wait isn't that the guy from Gilmore Girls? No matter how many times I look at a pic from the show I do not see Jess. 
  • Options
    I just saw this last night!

The husband is Jess from Gilmour Girls and the wife is Mandy Moore ;)

I wasn't thrilled they showed most of the show in the commercials but LOVE that twist :)
  • Options
    I loved it. What I respected was that the commercials didn't give the ending away. I love the twist!  I need to watch episode 2 tomorrow!
  • Options
    Ok I'm confused has there just been 1 episode or 2? I have the series set to record and it has only recorded 1 episode thus far. But I've seen posts talking about a second episode. So confused 
  • Options
    Just one episode so far.

I liked it. However, it also didn't  have a hook to draw me into the next episode. It was well done, I liked the actors, but the episode felt like a complete story.  Like if they had just extended the time by another 30 minutes or so and beefed up the plot a bit more instead of cutting so quickly from story to story, it would have made a fine movie that left me satisfied with how it ended.  The "twist ending" felt jusy like that...an ending that made me go "awww...that was neat how that happened" rather than a cliffhanger that left me wanting to know more.  But we'll see.  There are a lot of great actors in it that may be enough to pull me in for a few more episodes while the story develops.
  • Options
    jacques27 said:
    Just one episode so far.

I liked it. However, it also didn't  have a hook to draw me into the next episode. It was well done, I liked the actors, but the episode felt like a complete story.  Like if they had just extended the time by another 30 minutes or so and beefed up the plot a bit more instead of cutting so quickly from story to story, it would have made a fine movie that left me satisfied with how it ended.  The "twist ending" felt jusy like that...an ending that made me go "awww...that was neat how that happened" rather than a cliffhanger that left me wanting to know more.  But we'll see.  There are a lot of great actors in it that may be enough to pull me in for a few more episodes while the story develops.
    that is true, it was almost like a complete story in an hour so it will be interesting to see how it all plays out. 

The biggest story I can see might be how it plays out with the father who abandoned the child and how he says he's sick but then might just be taking $ or at least that is what they seemed to imply might happen.
  • Options
    I admit, I didn't understand the social media obsession when the trailer came out. It seemed a bit plotless, and I couldn't figure out why I should watch the show.

However, the pure obsession made me give it one episode and see if maybe I was missing something. I still don't quite get it...it seems a little pander-y to me, trying to appeal to viewers with a "type" of show rather than a good show that gets people to watch because it's good. The first episode was...fine? The twist wasn't really that twisty to me. I probably won't watch anymore, but I'm sure it'll be a big success.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    I admit, I didn't understand the social media obsession when the trailer came out. It seemed a bit plotless, and I couldn't figure out why I should watch the show.

However, the pure obsession made me give it one episode and see if maybe I was missing something. I still don't quite get it...it seems a little pander-y to me, trying to appeal to viewers with a "type" of show rather than a good show that gets people to watch because it's good. The first episode was...fine? The twist wasn't really that twisty to me. I probably won't watch anymore, but I'm sure it'll be a big success.
    This is how I felt too- it just seemed like it was very much trying to be a "You'll have all the feels!" type of show without any real substance... I saw so many people say they were crying over the trailer and the premiere, I guess it succeeded on at least the "make you have a lot of emotions" level!

ETA: Another show I thought looked pretty dumb from the trailer was The Good Place but I gave that one a try because I like the creator (the guy behind Parks & Rec and Brooklyn 9-9) and thought it was really funny! Anyone else see that one?
  • Options
    so i saw spoilers about the twist before i watched it, but i felt like the twist was so obvious the whole time! that probably was because i know it was coming, but still. the mandy/milo scenes definitely seemed of a different time than the others.
  • Options
    oh yeah, I'm a total sap. I cry at everything. I heard on facebook people crying three times.  I don't know, I didn't cry...didn't feel the feels everyone else was I guess.

• Options
    oh yeah, I'm a total sap. I cry at everything. I heard on facebook people crying three times.  I don't know, I didn't cry...didn't feel the feels everyone else was I guess.
    I did! Once I realized what the twist was, it was more tears of joy lol
  • Options

This is how I felt too- it just seemed like it was very much trying to be a "You'll have all the feels!" type of show without any real substance... I saw so many people say they were crying over the trailer and the premiere, I guess it succeeded on at least the "make you have a lot of emotions" level!

ETA: Another show I thought looked pretty dumb from the trailer was The Good Place but I gave that one a try because I like the creator (the guy behind Parks & Rec and Brooklyn 9-9) and thought it was really funny! Anyone else see that one?
    I really liked The Good Place too. But I love Kristen Bell and Michael Schur, so there was probably some bias ;)

• Options
    I watched this morning because so many people were talking about it. I cried a few times but I'm putting it down to being pregnant and emotional when it comes to babies. I set it up to record. 
  • Options
    I watched this morning because so many people were talking about it. I cried a few times but I'm putting it down to being pregnant and emotional when it comes to babies. I set it up to record. 
    same here!

well and I felt for the weight struggles bc that hit home for me too
  • Options
    kylexo said:
    so i saw spoilers about the twist before i watched it, but i felt like the twist was so obvious the whole time! that probably was because i know it was coming, but still. the mandy/milo scenes definitely seemed of a different time than the others.
    I noticed that, but stupidly I didn't realize that this is actually a flashback (or supernatural) kind of scenario until reading this just now.  That's sort of embarrassing.  I ended it going "That's remarkably coincidental that they both are in this scenario" and yeah...duh!  I mean I noticed the clothing and smoking in the hospital which clearly dates it (because there is no way smoking would be allowed now), but totally didn't piece it together.

In my defense, I didn't know anything about the show ahead of time except that it had Mandy and Milo in it and I was multi-tasking reading and watching at the same time
  • Options
    Ooh what does everyone think of that new twist?

• Options
    Ooh what does everyone think of that new twist?

I just finished watching it. Very interesting. I had a feeling something would happen with the parent relationship but didn't guess the friend aspect 
  • Options
    LabLove86LabLove86 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited September 2016
    What are we assuming happened to the father?

I'm thinking dead.

ETA - esp since she was still wearing the necklace
                                    Daisypath Wedding tickers

• Options
    LabLove86 said:

I'm thinking dead.

That's what I thought too!

I also loved the kitchen scene and the wife was like "well, don't I feel like a bitch" and they laughed at her. 
  • Options
    jacques27 said:
    kylexo said:
    I noticed that, but stupidly I didn't realize that this is actually a flashback (or supernatural) kind of scenario until reading this just now.  That's sort of embarrassing.  I ended it going "That's remarkably coincidental that they both are in this scenario" and yeah...duh!  I mean I noticed the clothing and smoking in the hospital which clearly dates it (because there is no way smoking would be allowed now), but totally didn't piece it together.

In my defense, I didn't know anything about the show ahead of time except that it had Mandy and Milo in it and I was multi-tasking reading and watching at the same time
    this was me. watching episode 2 last night I was like OHH THEYRE THE SAME PEOPLE! and H was like "...uh, yeah?"
  • Options
    Gah!! I was watching ep2 at work and just waiting for the twist then BAM! Last 2 seconds! I think I really like this show.
  • Options
    LabLove86 said:

I'm thinking dead.

That's what I thought too!

I also loved the kitchen scene and the wife was like "well, don't I feel like a bitch" and they laughed at her. 

STIB:

I like to think they were laughing WITH her! ha!! That totally would have been me. ;)

Also - is there supposed to be a twist at the end of every episode? because I feel like they're going to run out of twists eventually. And that it would just be twists for the sake of the show . . . not because the plot line actually needed it.

• Options
    I read somewhere that the twists are initial plot development only.  
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    good. It would get old after a while I think.

• Options
    banana468 said:
    I hope so! Finally saw the most recent ep and I was like "Whaaaaat!?"
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards