Wedding Woes
Options

The Groom's Payback?

My wedding is 179 days away, and right now, today, I am so disappointed.  I love my fiancé and I can't wait to be his wife, but he has been so lazy about any and everything wedding related.  He has no input what so ever on anything.  This weekend, we went to complete a wedding registry.  I didn't tell him to come, I asked him if he wanted to come and he said yes.  As we're pulling into the parking lot, he begins a narrative on how he's not use to these types of fancy things.  Wedding registries are for the people on TV.  Mind you, this is not the first time he's said things like this (albeit, the topics were things like nightstands in the bedroom, decorative hand towels, and other typical man things that I know he's not interested in nor cares about). So, I tried the best I could by explaining that I've never done a wedding registry, or purchased anything from a registry. However, some of our older relatives were asking about it, so I wanted to finish one.  I also told him that if he didn't want to, he didn't have to.  Again, he said "No, let's just do this." Once inside Macy's, he completely shuts down.  He swears that I have an attitude with him and that I let people disrespect him in his own home (where that came from I had no clue). I finally tell him to stop bitching and complaining and that he didn't have to come, so he proceeds to stand quietly seething in the corner while I scan dishes with tears in my eyes. 

I think that this is his payback for me wanting a wedding in the first place.  When we talked about getting married, he wanted to go to the JOTP.  I didn't.  So we decided to have a smaller ceremony in a lounge, and not have a big, banquet hall affair.  Now I'm not so sure that he's on board with it. He drags his feet at every corner and laments that this wedding is solely for me and that if he had his way we would have gone to the courthouse and been married and pregnant by now.  I'm overwhelmed we've been planning this ceremony for over a year and now I wish that I had never wanted a wedding at all.

I just needed to vent, I don't know what I'm going to do at this point.

Re: The Groom's Payback?

• Options
    Premarital counseling...NOW! Pouting and acting like a child is not conducive to the communication required to have a successful marriage.
  • Options

You two need to learn to communicate better.  There is nothing you two will be able to accomplish if this is how you both act.  Other big things will come up in your lives and you will need to work together to overcome it.  Planning a wedding can be a little taste of what's to come, so imagine that how you are both acting now, will be how you will both face other issues in the future.

As PP said, I think premarital counseling is in order.  You two seemed to have come to a compromise on your wedding vision, but he is now not happy about it for whatever reason and you need to figure out why.

• Options
    If treating you poorly is "payback" for you wanting a wedding, how do you foresee the rest of your life with him going? What if you want to do something else he doesn't like but goes along with anyway? Must you walk on eggshells forever incase you displease him?

• Options
    Get premarital counseling stat. You guys are clearly not communicating effectively. There should be no "punishing" or paying each other back for ANYTHING. Ever. That is not the way to resolve conflict.

• Options
    I can see why you wanted to cry, but it seems like neither of you know how to fight fair yet.

As hard as it will be, I agree with PP's that you need to postpone the wedding until you've worked out your communication problems.  Compromise is a part of daily life in a relationship and I personally would not want to spend a lifetime keeping score, one upping each other and plotting revenge when it's my turn to lose.

• Options

OP, I know these responses probably seem really harsh but it's true. Conflict resolution and compromise are going to be extremely important in your daily lives, for the rest of your lives. If you both don't learn how to do these things in a healthy way, you're setting yourself up for disaster.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options

Ditto, to what the other ladies have already said.

On a side note. I've noticed that when some men have only attended very simple weddings; they think that's all they need too.

I just mean that if he has only attended very simple weddings, then he might not have the same vision that you have for a wedding. I have a friend and her husband thought she was going overboard with their wedding, until the day of. He loved everything she chose and was glad they didn't have it at a lodge or hall.

• Options
    speaking from experience, the counseling aspect is important. We had some issues early on with planning and I realized that he was taking out his issues on the planning rather than actually address the real issue. It wasn't fighting fairly and it caused a lot of stress.
  • Options
    I'm so glad to hear you are taking everybody's comments in the positive spirit with which they were intended.  I will add my voice to the chorus: get counseling right now, immediately, before any further plans are made.

Getting counseling doesn't mean you have failed.  It helps you lay the foundation for a successful relationship.  You need strategies in place for dealing with disagreements that arise.  Because no matter how great your relationship is, disagreements WILL arise.  

And I hate to even bring it up, but if you discover through counseling that there are some irreconcilable differences, it is far better to know that now than once you have gotten married and perhaps even scrambled your DNA with this person.  Don't be afraid to walk away if it comes to that.  Calling things off now is a thousand times better than pushing forward into the wrong marriage.
    I always tell people that getting out of the wrong relationship does nothing but open you up for the right one. 
  • Options
    flantasticflantastic member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2016
    Just on the "married and pregnant by now" front - what does that even mean? (Do you even know?)
    1. Have you (plural) talked about when you want to have children?
    2. Do you (singular) want to have children ASAP after marriage (as it seems that he does)?
    3. Was that decision pushed back in order to save for a wedding?

Particularly if the answer to question 1 is no, then I'm adding emphasis on the counseling. You two need to learn to talk to one another about important things, how to compromise, and what happens after a compromise.

The Catholic Church offers pre-Cana preparation, and most of it isn't focused on any aspect of religious belief. It primarily brings up conversations that adults should definitely have before a marriage. That's a cheap option, although if you can afford an actual licensed relationship counselor, that would be much better.
  • Options
    Hi Flantastic, the children comment would seem as if it were coming out of no where without context. We have talked about children. We've talked about it a lot. He already has a 16 year old daughter from a previous relationship, but I don't have any. We both would like to start a family, however, it has always been my personal preference to have my husband's children, not my boyfriend's, not my fiancé's.  I've taken necessary precautions to prevent pregnancy, even being celebate for years.  I'm one of the last of my friends to get married and start a family.  I recently commented, after seeing my self-described spinster cousin's birth announcement, that I felt like I had waited too long.  At 36, I have friends and family that are already GRANDPARENTS!
  • Options
    Hi ladies! I don't think that your responses aren't at all harsh. I'm really at a place that I just want to throw my hands up. Usually, its hard to see where you also shoulder blame in any situation. In my eyes, I felt that he deserved my words because of the "tough love" he was dishing out. And, at the time, I didn't feel one bit remorseful about it.  I guess I didn't fight fair either.  I was hurt because we have done so much talking and discussing.  I thought at this point it would be a little easier to get to the end goal.  We've never fought this much.  We've had disagreements and heated discussions about our life together before, but nothing like this.  Thank you for all of your insight.  I took it to heart.

Also, I know it's super frustrating when someone says something is okay and then acts like it is definitely not.  But that's where I think talking it through is effective--sure, it's tempting to throw up your hands, I get that.  But it sounds like you're more interested in resolving your issues than arguing, so that's where I think counseling can be really helpful.

• Options
    OP, don't get too discouraged. My FH has been great about wedding planning and even he needed a break from doing every little thing together. I built most of our registry on my own online, then shared it with him (amazon registry) for him to add to at his leisure. He did about 3 or 4 mo ths later.
    Premarital counseling is great. We went to a low cost couseling clinic since neither of us are religious. I highly recommend it for all people talking about getting married.
  • Options

Premarital counseling is great. We went to a low cost couseling clinic since neither of us are religious. I highly recommend it for all people talking about getting married.
    You could see if your company (or his) offers free counseling through an Employee Assistance Program.   DH and I sought counseling after we were married, and we got 5 sessions free. 
  • Options
    Just a thought: if writing things out is important to you but when you read off a script he feels like you are acting like a teacher, how about you have these exchanges entirely via email, at least for a while?  That might help you get to the bottom of some things in a less heated and emotional way.  It's not a magic bullet and it doesn't replace the need for counseling, but it could be a helpful strategy until you get a handle on some basic rules of engagement. 
  • Options
    Just a thought: if writing things out is important to you but when you read off a script he feels like you are acting like a teacher, how about you have these exchanges entirely via email, at least for a while?  That might help you get to the bottom of some things in a less heated and emotional way.  It's not a magic bullet and it doesn't replace the need for counseling, but it could be a helpful strategy until you get a handle on some basic rules of engagement. 
    Or it could make things worse because of lack of tone. 

OP this is where I statements are extremely important. Example, "When you do (insert behavior), I feel (this emotion)." That makes it harder to get defensive. Try to not talk in absolutes like "You always" or "You never."
  • Options
    SaintPaulGalSaintPaulGal member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited October 2016
    Or it could make things worse because of lack of tone. 

OP this is where I statements are extremely important. Example, "When you do (insert behavior), I feel (this emotion)." That makes it harder to get defensive. Try to not talk in absolutes like "You always" or "You never."
    True.  I guess it really depends on communication skills and styles.  My partner and I have pretty comparable skills in open communication, thank god.  But sometimes if I am really upset about something it is easier for me to text him about it because it forces me to select precise language and really get at the heart of what is bothering me.  Plus I don't have to worry about breaking into tears and then having the emotional response get in the way of what I am trying to say.  This has happened maybe two or three times in our relationship, where we have the initial convo via text and then follow up with an actual discussion once the important points are already out there.  But maybe this works for us because we both tend to be very intentional about word choice and conveying meaning.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards