Chit Chat
Options

soup's on! Recipes needed, please

DH is golfing with 19 buddies on Sunday.  While his club is still open, their food services are shut down for the season. It's supposed to be a little chilly and dreary out.  He planned the same event last year when the weather was a bit nicer and I put together sandwiches and brownies for all the guys to take out with them.  I was thinking for this year, based on the predicted weather, that I would do a soup.  I can put it in the crockpot on warm and plug it in at the halfway house for them to grab a cup of as they go through.  I plan to have two crockpots, and am open to one or two soups.

I was hoping for ideas that are a crowd pleaser, not to difficult, and hearty enough to warm them up and fill them up for the rest of the round.  Ideas??

Re: soup's on! Recipes needed, please

• Options
    bleve0821bleve0821 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2016
    Chicken tortilla soup!

1 shredded Rotisserie chicken
    1 (15oz) can diced tomatoes
    1 medium onion (chopped)
    1 (10oz) can green enchilada sauce
    1 (8oz) can Rotel tomatoes and green chilies
    2 garlic cloves (minced)
    1 (14 1/2 oz) can chicken broth
    1 cup water
    1 tsp cumin
    1 tsp chili powder
     1 tsp salt
     1/4 tsp black pepper
     1 bay leaf

Dump and go.  Cook on low 6-8 hours.

You can use mild Rotel, or skip it all together and leave fresh Jalapenos out on the side for those who like some heat, if spicy foods aren't crowd pleasers.  But I like spicy foods best when it's chilly and ugly out.

I don't typically blend mine when I make it because I am lazy, but when I do, there is a whole new dimension to it.

ETA: the tortilla part, I usually just set out tortilla chips to add if anyone wants them.

Another ETA: I love garlic and use more than the recipe calls for, and I don't measure the spices, either.  It's pretty much a "to taste" thing for me.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Options
    I made a wicked creamy turkey and wild rice soup last week. I'm more of a throw things together soup maker but I'll try to give you a recipe...
    -Cut up some yellow onion and saute it in butter, add in chopped up carrots and celery and let it all cook down
    - add in a couple tablespoons of flour and get it nice and pasty
    - add in some half and half cream (I used a small 1/2 litre carton I believe?)
    - make sure the flour/veggie paste is incorporated into the cream and then slowly add warm broth (i used my own turkey broth but I'm sure you could use chicken if you needed)
    - I don't know if wild rice is an option for you, but if it is, just fill a pot full of water and throw in the rice and let it cook until it opens up and is tender and then drain the water - don't worry about measuring for wild rice
     - if you don't have wild rice, then use whatever rice you want
    - and then add turkey chunks
    - season with salt and pepper as needed, i also used a bunch of dried thyme and parley also
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I have done a bunch of the SkinnyTaste soups and I highly recommend the baked potato, the broccoli cheddar, or the roasted red pepper. 

http://www.skinnytaste.com/recipes/soup/
  • Options
    Chicken tortilla soup!

1 medium onion (chopped)
    2 garlic cloves (minced)
    1 cup water
    1 tsp cumin
    1 tsp chili powder
     1 tsp salt
     1/4 tsp black pepper
     1 bay leaf

You can use mild Rotel, or skip it all together and leave fresh Jalapenos out on the side for those who like some heat, if spicy foods aren't crowd pleasers.  But I like spicy foods best when it's chilly and ugly out.

I don't typically blend mine when I make it because I am lazy, but when I do, there is a whole new dimension to it.

ETA: the tortilla part, I usually just set out tortilla chips to add if anyone wants them.

Another ETA: I love garlic and use more than the recipe calls for, and I don't measure the spices, either.  It's pretty much a "to taste" thing for me.
    Ooooooooooooo I need to make this this weekend! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    http://www.emilybites.com/2015/12/slow-cooker-beef-and-barley-soup.html

Made this beef and barley soup recently and it was a big hit! 
  • Options
    I just made a version of this Chicken Corn Chowder for dinner tonight and it was freaking phenomenal, if I do say so myself.

http://www.cookingclassy.com/creamy-chicken-corn-chowder/
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    What did you end up making, @kaos16?
  • Options
    drid said:
    Chicken tortilla soup!

1 medium onion (chopped)
    2 garlic cloves (minced)
    1 cup water
    1 tsp cumin
    1 tsp chili powder
     1 tsp salt
     1/4 tsp black pepper
     1 bay leaf

Update: made it! Super delicious! But I don't get the blending part lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    drid said:
    drid said:
    Chicken tortilla soup!

1 medium onion (chopped)
    2 garlic cloves (minced)
    1 cup water
    1 tsp cumin
    1 tsp chili powder
     1 tsp salt
     1/4 tsp black pepper
     1 bay leaf

Haha, oops! By blending I just meant putting it through the blender. It makes a thicker soup with a different depth and texture, but I usually am too impatient to wait for the soup to cool enough and end up with soup on the ceiling. 

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Options
    drid said:
    drid said:
    Chicken tortilla soup!

1 medium onion (chopped)
    2 garlic cloves (minced)
    1 cup water
    1 tsp cumin
    1 tsp chili powder
     1 tsp salt
     1/4 tsp black pepper
     1 bay leaf

Haha, oops! By blending I just meant putting it through the blender. It makes a thicker soup with a different depth and texture, but I usually am too impatient to wait for the soup to cool enough and end up with soup on the ceiling. 
    I have the same problem! I'm so grateful for my handheld blender.
  • Options
    drid said:
    drid said:
    Chicken tortilla soup!

1 medium onion (chopped)
    2 garlic cloves (minced)
    1 cup water
    1 tsp cumin
    1 tsp chili powder
     1 tsp salt
     1/4 tsp black pepper
     1 bay leaf

I have the same problem! I'm so grateful for my handheld blender.
    Was just going to recommend that! I just bought a new immersion blender and it's a soup life changer. 

I made this roasted red pepper, but in the slow cooker today. 

http://www.skinnytaste.com/roasted-red-pepper-soup/
  • Options
    Sooooo.... before the chicken is added? Lol I feel clueless
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @drid at the very end, after the soup has cooked (and cooled, ideally). I don't usually blend it so it's super smooth, just so that it's thicker. It sounds weird but it works.  

--Philip Pullman

• Options

DH wanted beef barley. . . . I used the King Arthur flour recipe from online, even though it had no flour in it!

As my luck would be, the weather changed and it was 75 and sunny out. . . . the guys still apparently DEVOURED the soup.  There was none left!

• Options
    Chicken tortilla soup!

1 medium onion (chopped)
    2 garlic cloves (minced)
    1 cup water
    1 tsp cumin
    1 tsp chili powder
     1 tsp salt
     1/4 tsp black pepper
     1 bay leaf

Making this for dinner tonight! I didn't have Rotel with chiles but had chilis so just added them with extra tomatoes. I also put a little cayenne in it! Can't wait to eat it. Thanks!
  • Options
    Chicken tortilla soup!

1 medium onion (chopped)
    2 garlic cloves (minced)
    1 cup water
    1 tsp cumin
    1 tsp chili powder
     1 tsp salt
     1/4 tsp black pepper
     1 bay leaf

Making this for dinner tonight! I didn't have Rotel with chiles but had chilis so just added them with extra tomatoes. I also put a little cayenne in it! Can't wait to eat it. Thanks!
    It was delicious. I also added some frozen corn - I almost always changes recipes like this around! I think it would also be good with some black beans - make it a little heartier. I'm sending the recipe to my son who just moved into his first apartment/got first job. I think even he can handle the "dump and go" aspect of this recipe.