Wedding Woes
Options

Which of these venues do you like best?

2»

Re: Which of these venues do you like best?

• Options

OP, I love the "indoor" reception space at Homestead Manor.  Is that climate controlled in any way?  It looks like the walls may be a bit open.  Overall, I think the best venue will be the one that best accounts for guest comfort, so always keep that in mind when you are looking. 

It's just a pavilion with fans and heaters, so it's basically outside. That's the main con with that venue. I love how it looks! And love everything else about it. Just not sure I want to be "outside" for the whole wedding. 

Again, thanks for the opinions everyone! I have so much to consider and still such a hard decision for me. :/
  • Options
    I love Sycamore, Mint Springs and Homestead Manor.

I do agree that Mint Springs having the indoor ceremony space is nice, no inclement weather plan needed and it's very open and bright. The reception barn at Meadow Hill looks kind of... flouncy (can't think of a better word). There is space between all the boards on the wall of the barn- that is not good for climate control and kind of makes it look cheap to me, mostly because a real wood barn would be built solid. When I see barns (working barns) with holes in the wall, I wonder why it is in dis-repair, so that is what I think of when I see this barn.

Personally, I would have your ceremony and reception at the same location, but there is nothing wrong with having the ceremony else where. Just a personal preference. 5 mins away- is that by car? I would imagine few guests would consider walking that distance in their fancy attire and shoes, so guests must drive to the ceremony then to the reception versus perhaps taking a cab to/from one location.

I would prioritize a close venue. 20-30mins is a reasonable cab fare, but of course the longer the ride, the more money.

As for shuttles- how will you operate these? Will you provided them in between the ceremony and reception should you choose a separate ceremony location? I agree the main issue with shuttles is they tend to have set route times, so your guests need to leave when the shuttle is ready, not necessarily when they are.
  • Options
    Mint Springs is my vote, I love the indoor/outdoor feel of the ceremony space and the reception hall, given you can fit all guests on one floor. 
  • Options
    SP29 said:
    Personally, I would have your ceremony and reception at the same location, but there is nothing wrong with having the ceremony else where. Just a personal preference. 5 mins away- is that by car? I would imagine few guests would consider walking that distance in their fancy attire and shoes, so guests must drive to the ceremony then to the reception versus perhaps taking a cab to/from one location.

I would prioritize a close venue. 20-30mins is a reasonable cab fare, but of course the longer the ride, the more money.

As for shuttles- how will you operate these? Will you provided them in between the ceremony and reception should you choose a separate ceremony location? I agree the main issue with shuttles is they tend to have set route times, so your guests need to leave when the shuttle is ready, not necessarily when they are.
    Yes, it's 5 minutes by car. :) I'm not exactly sure how I'd use the shuttles yet. I've since eliminated the two separate venues idea though. I've narrowed the venues down to Mint Springs, Homestead Manor, & Meadow Hill Farm. 
  • Options
    O.k. First - which venues fit your budget range the most comfortably?  Next, which do you have the most control over the elements with?  A lot of ones with the outdoor aspect being primary - Mother Nature is a nasty B**** and doesn't give a rip about your wedding.  That said - if you don't have control over the elements (i.e. if it's hot or cold outside, or raining, downpour, or hurricane - eliminate those venues from your choices.  If the venue requires a shuttle - it's out immediately!  Next, consider your handicap or guests with mobility issues - are the restrooms friendly to this.  Then the convenience for YOUR guests to hotels, home, etc. because that can change the dynamic of your reception by itself.  If you're out in the sticks on deer trails, people just aren't going to stick around late nor party it up.  Granted, for most weddings, 50% will leave once dinner is over (some won't even stick around for the cake cutting), but the further out in the sticks you are, the greater that number will be.  

Next - ask yourself how far would $30,000 stretch on a new home over the life of the mortgage?  Your wedding is a one-day event with a set up and take down day.  You haven't mentioned your actual budget just your bridal vision.  At the end of the day only you can answer all of the questions.  I'm not saying go with an all-inclusive and I'm not saying go with a venue that you choose your vendors individually, but at the end of the day, it's a one-day party, it's not worth going into debt nor spending a small fortune over.  Also, have you checked out the added fees of the all-inclusive locations as well (gratuity, service fee, corking fees, bar minimums, taxes, valet, etc.) as that can greatly change the final price.   If you've got the money for the all-inclusive and it's convenient for all of your guests even if you got a fluke blizzard, then go that way.  Just be sure to get EVERYTHING covered and the costs written in the contract!!!
  • Options
    MesmrEwe said:
    O.k. First - which venues fit your budget range the most comfortably?  Next, which do you have the most control over the elements with?  A lot of ones with the outdoor aspect being primary - Mother Nature is a nasty B**** and doesn't give a rip about your wedding.  That said - if you don't have control over the elements (i.e. if it's hot or cold outside, or raining, downpour, or hurricane - eliminate those venues from your choices.  If the venue requires a shuttle - it's out immediately!  Next, consider your handicap or guests with mobility issues - are the restrooms friendly to this.  Then the convenience for YOUR guests to hotels, home, etc. because that can change the dynamic of your reception by itself.  If you're out in the sticks on deer trails, people just aren't going to stick around late nor party it up.  Granted, for most weddings, 50% will leave once dinner is over (some won't even stick around for the cake cutting), but the further out in the sticks you are, the greater that number will be.  

Next - ask yourself how far would $30,000 stretch on a new home over the life of the mortgage?  Your wedding is a one-day event with a set up and take down day.  You haven't mentioned your actual budget just your bridal vision.  At the end of the day only you can answer all of the questions.  I'm not saying go with an all-inclusive and I'm not saying go with a venue that you choose your vendors individually, but at the end of the day, it's a one-day party, it's not worth going into debt nor spending a small fortune over.  Also, have you checked out the added fees of the all-inclusive locations as well (gratuity, service fee, corking fees, bar minimums, taxes, valet, etc.) as that can greatly change the final price.   If you've got the money for the all-inclusive and it's convenient for all of your guests even if you got a fluke blizzard, then go that way.  Just be sure to get EVERYTHING covered and the costs written in the contract!!!
    Good points. Some I haven't thought of yet so this gives me more to consider