Chit Chat
Options

Is my wedding going to be a PPD?

2»

Re: Is my wedding going to be a PPD?

• Options
    When I questioned this, the woman informed me that the "affidavit of common law marriage" they sent to me was a form solely used for the company and dependent verification. It is different than the form the State of Texas provides for common law marriages. 
  • Options
    But you are affirming to the insurance company that you are common law married, right? So if you really aren't, that's a lie?
  • Options
    When I questioned this, the woman informed me that the "affidavit of common law marriage" they sent to me was a form solely used for the company and dependent verification. It is different than the form the State of Texas provides for common law marriages. 
    I mean, the title of the form implies that you are attesting (to your insurance company) that you are common law married, thus his kids are eligible for coverage. But you aren't common law married. Nor do you intend to be. Who cares what "the woman" said? Read the affidavit.

You would be knowingly lying (in a legal document) in order to obtain coverage. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say this sounds like textbook insurance fraud.

If the kids have insurance through their mom, why are you even looking into doing this? The risk is very high and the return seems very low. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    This woman works for the insurance company, she is not a representative of the court or a lawyer.  Of course she'll say what she can to get your business.

And the woman at the court house has no idea what form the insurance company is sending to you.
  • Options
    I mean, the title of the form implies that you are attesting (to your insurance company) that you are common law married, thus his kids are eligible for coverage. But you aren't common law married. Nor do you intend to be. Who cares what "the woman" said? Read the affidavit.

You would be knowingly lying (in a legal document) in order to obtain coverage. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say this sounds like textbook insurance fraud.

If the kids have insurance through their mom, why are you even looking into doing this? The risk is very high and the return seems very low. 

I get this feeling as well from reading through what you are being told.  It seems like the insurance company wants proof of marriage (in this case in the form of a common law affidavit in lieu of a marriage license) but you aren't married yet.  I would be leery of signing this document if I was in your shoes.

If you plan on getting married in June and the children are covered under their mother than I would just wait.  I would think that a major life event such as your marriage would entitle you to change your coverage options to include your FIs children. 

• Options

When I asked about adding them on, they never said I would be required so submit any of these documents for verification. My FI has been on my insurance without them asking for verification so I didn't think about it when I added them.

This is a bigger deal than we were thinking, I definitely don't want to be committing insurance fraud. So looks like we will be holding off on adding them until after the wedding. As @cowgirl8238 stated, the marriage will qualify me to add them on without waiting for open enrollment. 

Thank y'all for your responses. I was afraid of a PPD... when this is obviously more serious than that. I appreciate y'all. 
    Kudos for being so rational! Stick around, and good luck with your wedding planning! :)