Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

EDIT: What does the label "wedding" mean to you?

12346»

Re: EDIT: What does the label "wedding" mean to you?

• Options

I I get not wanting a winter wedding. So either he buys health insurance, he pays the penalty, or Republicans dynamite the whole system and we all just die anyway. 

I'm guessing the third at this point 
  • Options

banana468 said: You can't just tell your priest, "Oh, we got married already but we don't count it."   They do.  And they don't look favorably upon what you're proposing to do at all.  

We aren't catholic. 

Ok, so you're having your "ceremony" in the same place where you have the reception.    Do you still think that the country's definotion of a married couple and an uncle's are so different?

It's a lie.    
  • Options

banana468 said:

banana468 said: You can't just tell your priest, "Oh, we got married already but we don't count it."   They do.  And they don't look favorably upon what you're proposing to do at all.  

We aren't catholic. 

Ok, so you're having your "ceremony" in the same place where you have the reception.    Do you still think that the country's definotion of a married couple and an uncle's are so different?

It's a lie.    

I already stated IF (somehow you all set these plan officially for me apparently) It wouldn't be a secret, everyone would be let know. However I do have people in my family that have chosen this path, and neither myself, my parents or other people have seemed to mind it. 
    once again this was a thought I had after my friend decided to do it. I have everything set up for June of 2018, venue/dj/florals/ext. 
  • Options
    Please don't do this. You can plan the wedding you want in less than a year, without lying to anyone.
  • Options
    Lots of people don't want winter weddings. I would have much preferred a summer wedding, but we had a winter one anyway because that's what worked out. And I live in Alaska so the cold temps and heavy snow are just as bad, probably worse, than New England. 
  • Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2017
    The words marriage and wedding are interchangeable.  The traditional wording uses the word "marriage", but it does no harm to use "wedding" in its place.  It does not change the meaning of the invitation.  Wording must be crystal clear in regards to the nature of the event.  "Celebration of marriage" indicates that you are already married, and you are inviting people to a non-wedding party to celebrate. 
    Traditional wedding invitation wording:

The pleasure of your company is requested
    at the marriage of
    Bride's Full Name
    and
    Groom's Full Name

or, for a celebration party, where there are no vows or reenactment:

The pleasure of your company is requested
    to celebrate the recent marriage of
    Bride's Full Name
    and
    Groom's Full Name

Then, there might be this if you are renewing marriage vows:

The pleasure of your company is requested as
    Mr. and Mrs. John George Smith
    reaffirm their marriage vows

I think this latter format is what you need.

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg