Wedding Woes
Options

Accept the invite, split the check, and if they want more then say, "I'm not interested."

mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
edited August 2017 in Wedding Woes

Dear Prudence,

I got divorced last year and have been happily single since then. I plan to stay that way for a while. Recently I’ve had a couple of old guy friends get in touch and ask to get together to catch up. In both cases, there was potential for romantic relationships many years ago, but we ended up just being friends. I’d like to get together with them but worry that they’re really just looking for hookups. How can I make clear that I’m only interested in friendship without coming off as obnoxious or presumptuous?

The same anxiety often comes up if a new male acquaintance asks to go to lunch or for a drink. How do I clarify that I’m not interested in anything but friendship without giving the impression that I walk around thinking every man in the world must want to have sex with me?

—Just Friends

Re: Accept the invite, split the check, and if they want more then say, "I'm not interested."

• Options
    This kind of makes me sad. Like what happened to LW that she thinks people would only want to talk to her to get in her pants? 

There's a difference between a booty call and testing the waters for a romantic relationship. She's totally in control of not fucking on the first date. Geez.
    *********************************************************************************