Wedding Woes
Options

Couple Sues Wedding Vendors for $150k..

Re: Couple Sues Wedding Vendors for $150k..

• Options
    From a formula vs. breastmilk perspective, you generally don't know if nursing isn't going to work immediately at least w/  your first.   If you show signs that you're producing colostrum immediately after birth then that's what baby needs and gets.  For baby 1, my milk didn't really come in until after we got home.  It wasn't until that time that I realized what "milk coming in" meant.

For baby 2 I had a better idea of what's going on and still my milk didn't come in until our check out day.  

• Options
    kvruns said:
    kvruns said:
    Re: formula, not sure if it is the same in Canada, but in the US definitely sign up for Enfamil and Similac for samples/coupons. You want to sign up ahead of time so you get the samples ahead of time. Your OB office has samples and so does the pediatrician office. The hospital you are delivering at usually has one brand they start with if you do have formula in the hospital but, in my experience, they had both available we just tried Enfamil since that was what they first offered.

Walmart formula is what my daycare uses. They do the Walmart version of Similac and Enfamil.  Baby B would get 1 bottle of formula and the rest were breastmilk. He never had a problem with the Walmart Enfamil they served and at home if he had occassional formula while we were out it was name brand Enfamil and he was ok with both.  Not all babies are like that but luckily he didn't care. 
    Most of the hospitals here don't allow formula unless it's cleared by a lactation consultant. They don't have formula on site, if you want formula, you have to bring it with you, as well as bottles. 
    wow that's crazy to me. So if someone thought about BFing but for whatever reason it didn't work out, you have to go out and buy formula ASAP? 
    Either they have to have it on hand or yes go out. However, there are some hospitals that out and out don't allow formula without being cleared by a lactation consultant (I didn't deliver at that one), and are fairly militant about mothers breastfeeding. As a mom who exclusively breastfed for over a year, I find that appalling. 
    It is appalling.  Supposed 'baby friendly' hospitals have good intention, but their practices are misguided.  Giving birth exhausting and your body goes through a ton of processes and changes in the days and weeks (months, years) after.  The pressure put on new moms (yes, parents...but let's be honest..moms) to room in with the baby and exclusively breast feed, paired with the fact that you're kicked out after 2-4 days and don't see a medical professional for yourself until 6 weeks post-birth, can be so detrimental.  It reinforces the idea that mothers are just a vessel to carry a child and then expected to be everything for the child, all without complaint and it should just be 'natural' to them.  
  • Options
    What concerns me about those types of hospitals, is what happens if - I'm gonna use my mum as an example - my mum planned on breastfeeding and because shit went haywire during delivery, she was on bed rest and wasn't allowed to breastfeed.
    I hope these hospitals have back up plans.

Agreed with everyone else, fed is best!
  • Options
    kvruns said:
    kvruns said:
    Re: formula, not sure if it is the same in Canada, but in the US definitely sign up for Enfamil and Similac for samples/coupons. You want to sign up ahead of time so you get the samples ahead of time. Your OB office has samples and so does the pediatrician office. The hospital you are delivering at usually has one brand they start with if you do have formula in the hospital but, in my experience, they had both available we just tried Enfamil since that was what they first offered.

Walmart formula is what my daycare uses. They do the Walmart version of Similac and Enfamil.  Baby B would get 1 bottle of formula and the rest were breastmilk. He never had a problem with the Walmart Enfamil they served and at home if he had occassional formula while we were out it was name brand Enfamil and he was ok with both.  Not all babies are like that but luckily he didn't care. 
    Most of the hospitals here don't allow formula unless it's cleared by a lactation consultant. They don't have formula on site, if you want formula, you have to bring it with you, as well as bottles. 
    wow that's crazy to me. So if someone thought about BFing but for whatever reason it didn't work out, you have to go out and buy formula ASAP? 
    Also, for women whose milk takes a while postpartum to come in (as was the case with one of my friends whose milk did not come in until almost a week postpartum), how does the hospital recommend that the newborn gets fed??
  • Options
    What concerns me about those types of hospitals, is what happens if - I'm gonna use my mum as an example - my mum planned on breastfeeding and because shit went haywire during delivery, she was on bed rest and wasn't allowed to breastfeed.
    I hope these hospitals have back up plans.

Agreed with everyone else, fed is best!
    Of course they do. Hospitals aren’t letting babies starve. 
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:

It is appalling.  Supposed 'baby friendly' hospitals have good intention, but their practices are misguided.  Giving birth exhausting and your body goes through a ton of processes and changes in the days and weeks (months, years) after.  The pressure put on new moms (yes, parents...but let's be honest..moms) to room in with the baby and exclusively breast feed, paired with the fact that you're kicked out after 2-4 days and don't see a medical professional for yourself until 6 weeks post-birth, can be so detrimental.  It reinforces the idea that mothers are just a vessel to carry a child and then expected to be everything for the child, all without complaint and it should just be 'natural' to them.  
    OH AMEN, AMEN, AMEN!

My Mom was appalled when she heard I only would be staying in the hospital a max of two days PP!  When I was born it was 5-7 days (after the baby was born) so you got over the worst of the emotional hormone shift, milk coming in, exhaustion, baby issues, etc. before you even got out of the hospital.  How many problems were nipped in the bud by that process alone especially now with PPD/PPP/PPA/etc.  If a Mom wants to immediately go home, more power to her, but as rough as some births can be, give the new Mom the support she needs! (even if it's her 5th baby!)
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    Well, stay length can be blamed on insurance companies too.

Add to that the piss poor leave policies in this country for both parents it's not a setup for success.
    Multi-levels of blame to be had, ultimately the Mom still loses!
  • Options
    MesmrEwe said:
    banana468 said:
    Well, stay length can be blamed on insurance companies too.

Add to that the piss poor leave policies in this country for both parents it's not a setup for success.
    Multi-levels of blame to be had, ultimately the Mom still loses!
    Totally agree.  
  • Options
    My hospital didn’t have a nursery for just giving you rest - it was only if there were tests or procedures being done. All I wanted was a couple hours sleep but I never got it since I had a loud baby right next to my head the entire time. It sucked. 
  • Options
    mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited January 2018
    kvruns said:
    My hospital didn’t have a nursery for just giving you rest - it was only if there were tests or procedures being done. All I wanted was a couple hours sleep but I never got it since I had a loud baby right next to my head the entire time. It sucked. 
    That sucks.  Our hospital's literature said that they preferred rooming in, but there was a nursery and the nurses asked if I wanted DefConn to go with them (I think he was one of 2 babies born at that time?).  I hesitated, but was easily persuaded to send him off.  It was a sorely needed night of sleep. 
  • Options
    kvruns said:
    Ours was the same way. On our hospital tour (at 34 wks) the nursery was up and running and they informed us that in a couple weeks, they were taking away that service "to encourage bonding between mom and baby to save money and real estate and torture exhausted mothers" 

Sure enough, after I delivered, no nursery. The nurses would come in my room and wake me up every four hours asking for the baby's last feeding time. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    The other hospitals in my system had normal nurseries, but my location was the newest hospital and was built without it. The nurses did say if they were not busy they take babies if moms need a break but of course when I was there it was a baby boom and they had even called in extra staff. One night the nurse said she would take him in an hour and then like 3-4 hours later (so like 2am) she did come in and get him for a tiny bit and apologized that it had been too busy. I maybe got a 1 hour break at that time because it was really just for some test of his at that point
  • Options
    As a new mom, I'll say for other new-moms-to-be (hi, @MissKittyDanger ) that there are so many questions you need to ask when you take a hospital tour. Based on answers, you may choose a different hospital (or birthing center!) than originally intended. Ask about the nursery. Mine allowed nursery from 11pm to 6am because yes, they want to encourage bonding, but they recognized that mamas need sleep. I was still awoken every 2 hours to feed my baby, but at least I could sleep. I was so attuned to the baby breathing and crying that there's no way I could sleep with her next to me, even if she was asleep. That nursery is critical to your physical and mental well-being, "baby bonding" be damned. You'll bond, trust us!
    Re- formula. Ask what happens if formula is needed. My hospital said they've got it if needed; some hospitals will only give it upon prescription from a doctor (or lactation person as someone else said). In my humble opinion, you shouldn't need the prescription- if you're struggling to feed, get some damn food in the kid, sheesh. As it turned out, DD lost 11% of her birthweight before check-out so the rounding pediatrician actually told us to supplement. I have a great nursing relationship with DD now but she still occasionally gets formula for either convenience or if she exhausts her pumped milk at daycare. AND-- we use Aldi's brand formula. Kids are formula is kind of a crapshoot; I think I'm lucky that DD can and will drink anything. Not all kids like or are able to digest all formula, so you just do trial-and-error. 

I also avoid Wal-Mart mainly due to their effect on small businesses. I also just don't like the look of the stores. Target all the way. 

• Options
    I was actually doing some research on formulas this weekend since we just happened to be at a few different stores. {we don't have Target ...}

Other than price wise, they were all pretty much same reviews but everyone makes a good point - not all babies are going to comply with what you first introduce
  • Options
    I was actually doing some research on formulas this weekend since we just happened to be at a few different stores. {we don't have Target ...}

Other than price wise, they were all pretty much same reviews but everyone makes a good point - not all babies are going to comply with what you first introduce
    That's so true about anything baby!!!  Same goes for diapers!!!  I had one kid who reacted to Pampers and one who reacted to Huggies and both reacted to anything else put on them.  Hence, I'll never buy diapers as a baby shower gift...   
  • Options
    MesmrEwe said:

That's so true about anything baby!!!  Same goes for diapers!!!  I had one kid who reacted to Pampers and one who reacted to Huggies and both reacted to anything else put on them.  Hence, I'll never buy diapers as a baby shower gift...   
    We're gonna try to do cloth. Figured might as well try it, saves the fight of brand vs brand ;)

Yeh the diaper cakes are cute, but really ends up being waste of money if the baby happens to have a reaction to that kind :\
  • Options
    MesmrEwe said:

I'm lucky that mine is good with any kind of diaper. I think I've tried 7-8  brands/types at this point, I stock up on sales wherever I can
  • Options
    @kvruns Most I've heard of - it probably depends on the place directly also - say that as long as we provide enough, they're fine with it.
    That could vary between daycares as well.
  • Options

It took us 3 months to find a formula babybelle would take. We landed on Earth's Best Organic in the red container (I don't recall what kind that really is). It was really expensive to buy can after can only to make a couple reject bottles.

I say this totally understanding I just wanted to stop breastfeeding and used it as a fallback when he rejected a certain kind of formula. If we only had one option and he were hungry enough, I have no doubt he would have taken whatever was available. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Options

It took us 3 months to find a formula babybelle would take. We landed on Earth's Best Organic in the red container (I don't recall what kind that really is). It was really expensive to buy can after can only to make a couple reject bottles.

I say this totally understanding I just wanted to stop breastfeeding and used it as a fallback when he rejected a certain kind of formula. If we only had one option and he were hungry enough, I have no doubt he would have taken whatever was available. 
    Yeh we've talked about brands we'll try if breastfeeding doesn't work and likely we're gonna figure out top 3 reviewed - then if those don't work, ask dr about what else.

I'll take a look at the Earth's Best :) Haven't heard of it before, so I'm not familiar {tbh I'm only truly familiar with big brands like Enfamil and Similac because they're right on edge of shelves}
  • Options
    Re: diapers. We use cloth with disposable occasionally (trips and such). I got a few at my baby shower, and that was ok for meconium, but once she had real poops, straight up the back! I have yet to find a disposable brand that will contain poop. I've tried Walmart store brand, Luvs, Pampers and Huggies. The issue is they either have zero elastic in the back (most brands) or they don't have strong elastic in the back (Huggies). Cloth contains it because there is REAL elastic in the back. Huggies does the best of what I've tried. And saying they're the "best" doesn't at all mean they're good. It means they contain 10% of her poops and more quantity of poop unlike the other brands that don't contain any. I've tried sizing up and then it just comes out the legs no matter how much I tighten the diaper. 

Sorry if I gross anyone out, but I cannot heartily enough recommend against buying a ton of diapers ahead of time as I know some people do.