Wedding Woes
Options

Controlling MOB

2»

Re: Controlling MOB

• Options
    Yeah you guys are making me mad that I didn't make the cheesecake I was considering..
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    I just got home from getting my free birthday bundlet from Nothing Bundt Cakes. Their lemon cake is so yummy! Their store is near the Portillo's here in Indy so I will have to try Portillo's soon.
  • Options
    Ohh Gigi's!!  There is a place here in town that sells locally made stuff only and they have cupcakes that are the right size and perfect frosting to cake ratio.  Now I'm thinking about their cupcakes.  They are open until 7...hmmmm. 
  • Options
    We don't have any of these cupcake places here. We should probably sell our house. 
  • Options
    But.... have you had the Portillo's chocolate cake SHAKE? Gabriel Iglesias has a really funny bit on the time he went and got that. Yes, they put a whole slice of cake in your shake. Maybe they'll do a lemon one too. 

• Options
    But.... have you had the Portillo's chocolate cake SHAKE? Gabriel Iglesias has a really funny bit on the time he went and got that. Yes, they put a whole slice of cake in your shake. Maybe they'll do a lemon one too. 

UGH it's DISGUSTING. You can feel little bits of soggy cake in it!

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options

I went to Portillo's when I was in Chicago in August.  So many reviews raved about the chocolate cake shake, that I got one for my H and I to try.

Y'all are going to think I have no taste, but I didn't care for it.  I discovered I prefer a smooth shake, without pieces of stuff in it.  Even if that "stuff" is cake, lol.  I didn't even think their chocolate shake was that good.  It was fine, but I think even "ordinary" places like Sonic or Rally's make a better one.

Ironically, the first place I ever tried a "Chicago" style hot dog was a Sonic.  They became my fave type.  Brilliance in a bun, my friends.  It was like, "What have I been missing my whole life sticking to just mustard and onions?"

A lot of reviewers said the hot dogs at Portillo's were good, but nothing special.  And, that might be true.  But it was both yummy and the quintessential Chicago dog that was a "must have" for my trip!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    can someone please just send me a chocolate shake and lemon cake from this Portillo's place?

Y'all are making me want them.
  • Options
    can someone please just send me a chocolate shake and lemon cake from this Portillo's place?

You can order the chocolate cake, beefs and hot dogs! We send our Missouri friends a Portillo's package every year.

The chopped salad is the freaking best.

• Options

You can order the chocolate cake, beefs and hot dogs! We send our Missouri friends a Portillo's package every year.

The chopped salad is the freaking best.

Send me all the food! Lol
  • Options
    You can also order Giordano's pizza online and have that delivered to you too. Not sure about Canada.....

• Options
    MrsConn are oh talking about Basically Buttercream? I think they are near you. I tried them out for my wedding but didn’t love it (and the baker/owner just seemed very distracted by life and I got a weird vibe even though she was very nice and friendly)
  • Options

I went to Portillo's when I was in Chicago in August.  So many reviews raved about the chocolate cake shake, that I got one for my H and I to try.

Y'all are going to think I have no taste, but I didn't care for it.  I discovered I prefer a smooth shake, without pieces of stuff in it.  Even if that "stuff" is cake, lol.  I didn't even think their chocolate shake was that good.  It was fine, but I think even "ordinary" places like Sonic or Rally's make a better one.

Ironically, the first place I ever tried a "Chicago" style hot dog was a Sonic.  They became my fave type.  Brilliance in a bun, my friends.  It was like, "What have I been missing my whole life sticking to just mustard and onions?"

A lot of reviewers said the hot dogs at Portillo's were good, but nothing special.  And, that might be true.  But it was both yummy and the quintessential Chicago dog that was a "must have" for my trip!

I really do like the shake, but I like all the shakes. I just love sweets and ice cream. Portillos is one of those places people just RAVE about but I don't really understand what's so special. I mean, it's really good, yes. But as far as the Chicago style hot dog (which is amazing), the best one I've ever had is at a place call Flub a Dub Chub's in the Lake View East neighborhood. 
    I don't know how places get these cult followings but there are plenty of local burger/hot dog joints that make me just as happy, if not happier, than making the trek to Portillos. 

• Options
    I just got home from getting my free birthday bundlet from Nothing Bundt Cakes. Their lemon cake is so yummy! Their store is near the Portillo's here in Indy so I will have to try Portillo's soon.
    A Bundt shop opened 2 miles from me just prior to Thanksgiving.  Between the try one for free, the buy one/get one, the buy two/get one free, AND the birthday special, I was able to pretty much try every flavor before the end of January!  Although lemon is my "go to" flavor, their cinnamon bundt is lovely!

Do not even get me started on the lemon Portillo's cake!
  • Options

I really do like the shake, but I like all the shakes. I just love sweets and ice cream. Portillos is one of those places people just RAVE about but I don't really understand what's so special. I mean, it's really good, yes. But as far as the Chicago style hot dog (which is amazing), the best one I've ever had is at a place call Flub a Dub Chub's in the Lake View East neighborhood. 
    I don't know how places get these cult followings but there are plenty of local burger/hot dog joints that make me just as happy, if not happier, than making the trek to Portillos. 

Oh yeah, we have them here also!

There is a poboy shop called Mother's that often gets written up in travel and food mags.  They were even featured in one of the first NCIS: New Orleans episodes.  But most locals will look at the line out the door, ((head tilt)), and look confused, lol.  Their food is fine, but it's nothing special.  There is usually a long wait and, once you get inside, the tables are crammed together and its loud and crowded.  In a 5-15 minute walk, you can find cheaper poboys that are just as good, if not better, and with a much shorter wait and ambience.

But then, there are the legends who deserve their status.  Muffalettas* from Central Grocery.  Accept no substitutes.

*Sandwich made with Italian meats and cheeses...but the slathering of olive salad (variety of finely chopped olives, celery, onions, carrots) is the star and what makes it a muffaletta. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    kvruns said:
    MrsConn are oh talking about Basically Buttercream? I think they are near you. I tried them out for my wedding but didn’t love it (and the baker/owner just seemed very distracted by life and I got a weird vibe even though she was very nice and friendly)
    No, they shut down their storefront.  I think she's doing custom orders when she has time?  She couldn't juggle being a business owner and having a life.  Her husband also does food and has a food truck.   I only know all this from our local 'chatter' page.  But they definitely didn't seem to be able to juggle it all.  I can see her being hard to work with just because she seemed to get easily overwhelmed. 

The store I'm talking about is the Hayloft.  They have all the local goodies.  Trader's Point milk, Broad Ripple Chip Co. chips, Julian Roasters coffee, etc.  
  • Options
    kvruns said:
    No, they shut down their storefront.  I think she's doing custom orders when she has time?  She couldn't juggle being a business owner and having a life.  Her husband also does food and has a food truck.   I only know all this from our local 'chatter' page.  But they definitely didn't seem to be able to juggle it all.  I can see her being hard to work with just because she seemed to get easily overwhelmed. 

The store I'm talking about is the Hayloft.  They have all the local goodies.  Trader's Point milk, Broad Ripple Chip Co. chips, Julian Roasters coffee, meat from local farms, etc.  
  • Options
    Maybe, it's just me, but I wouldn't notice if the cakes were different. I eat the cake that was placed in front of me. I usually like when they have different kinds of cake.

I'm all about the cake.
    As long as it's the same quality as the display - and everyone gets the same portion, wholeheartedly agree...  It's when I get a piece of 1" tall unfilled itsy bitsy portion of kiddie cake and the person next to me gets a 4-layer 3-fillings 5" tall x2.5" portion of what looks amazing cake, takes one bite and leaves the rest because the bride and groom chose to save $25 (that was the total price difference!) or no slice of cake because there wasn't enough ordered (which has happened to me at FOUR WEDDINGS!), or the maximum of one cupcake.. That's when I get grumpy as a guest!
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    If turning down the money isn't an option; I would just do the receiving line. It doesn't seem worth it to argue over it, imho.  and let her have her way with the cake.  But she definitely can't tell you what to wear.

**edited to add**  My mom is being really controlling too, even though she isn't contributing anything financially.  I have to learn to pick my battles with her.  She has a stubborn opinion on everything; and took control over the shower even though my MOH wanted to host it equally; My MOH let it go because it wasn't worth fighting over to her.  My mom took it upon herself to make the ring bearer pillow and flower girl basket, even though it isn't what I wanted.  I let her have her 'responsibilities,' as she put it.  In the grand scheme of things, I can't sweat the small stuff.  But heaven for bid she tells me what shoes to wear. No ma'am.  I have to walk in them!
  • Options
    kerbohlkerbohl member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer

I'm late to this thread, but I'm fixating on your mom wanting to pick your shoes. Does she want you to wear heirloom shoes or something?  It just seems like a really odd think to fixate on if it isn't for sentimental reasons.  And as you said, you have to wear them!  Shoes are pretty personal, since everyone has specific preferences.  Hey, I wore boots to my wedding!  It was wintertime, and no way was I going to have cold feet.

• Options
    Had the cake shake at Portillo's in Indy upon recommendation of good friends and I found it so weird.