Wedding Woes
Options

Flowery glitter pen. HOW DARE!

Dear Prudence,

I’m a happily married man with a young child. Last autumn, an old female friend from college emailed me to reconnect (she’s not on social media). We never dated or flirted, and most of our interactions were tied to our coursework. We then texted for a bit and made vague plans for her to see my band when we were on tour in her part of the country. I told my wife about the correspondence in passing at the time. My band’s tour never materialized, so we didn’t end up seeing each other.

This old friend emailed me again for my address, and I obliged, thinking she got engaged or something. My wife always gets the mail, but the friend’s postcard, addressed to me and family and written in flowery glitter pen, was delivered to our downstairs neighbor by mistake, and I picked it up off the landing while my wife was away for the weekend. On the card, my old friend wrote that she can’t wait to reach out to visit when she’s in the Midwest this summer. The glitter pen looks weird. Can I throw it away and pretend like I never got it? It’s in a hoodie pocket now in the back of my closet, and I’m afraid not initially showing it to my wife makes it look like I’m guilty.

—Glitter Postcard

Re: Flowery glitter pen. HOW DARE!

• Options
    Glitter pen??  Did she sign it with the pen or did she use bright red lipstick and kiss the paper?   Was the postcard scented?  

No?   It was just a fun pen?  

It was just a postcard?

Dear LW - you're a turd. 
  • Options
    The glitter pen is what you worried about, not that someone you barely had a friendship with years ago is excited to connect with your family (that she's never met) when she visits in the future?

But sure it's the glitter pen that's weird. 
  • Options
    Is it just me, or is anyone else curious how this person got the address since she's not on social media ....
  • Options
    Is it just me, or is anyone else curious how this person got the address since she's not on social media ....
    The beginning of the second paragraph says she emailed him and asked for it. 
  • Options
    Oh I must have missed that!
    How did she get email? I don't believe that's general public knowledge ...
  • Options
    Oh I must have missed that!
    How did she get email? I don't believe that's general public knowledge ...
    My email is pretty publicly available, at both jobs. If you googled my name you'd be able to get my work info. (office locations, numbers, emails) and a ton of other info about me. 
  • Options

Much ado about ink choice.

This whole thing is so head scratching, I'm wondering if it is a fake letter.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I wonder how his wife is, that he's worried about this.  I know that *I* would probably laugh at K being worried about this; K has had some super not great relationships with people who probably would have a damn fit, so I can see K doing this b/c of their baggage b/c of super jealous controlling partners.
  • Options
    eileenrob said:
    If I was LW’s wife and found the postcard hidden in the back of the closet I’d think that was stranger than the glittery writing.  I want to ask LW why he’s making such a big deal out of this.  Deep down does he hope the college friend is interested?

Yeah exactly this. Hiding it is way worse than a fucking pen.

I'm like a preteen girl with pens. I'm a pen snob and I love those Gelly Roll pens. When a work birthday card will go around, I'll use one of those. I wonder if all of my coworkers think I have a crush on them.

Only the ones who erroneously think they are hot stuff and all women are after them.  It is like the LW is grasping at some major straws to prove his virility and that this old friend is after him.

Hmmm, @ShesSoCold, have you perhaps sent any postcards to old college friends lately?

Wedding Countdown Ticker