Wedding Woes
Options

It's Tuesday already!

How was the weekend? We got a bunch of little things done and relaxed a bit too.

DH took Friday off.  We took Max to lunch and generally hung around.  Saturday M2 had her first soccer game.  They lost by a lot, but that wasn't unexpected. Then we did a build at Home Depot, hung around and watched some of the OSU game.  DH took Max to the Crew game and I took the other 2 to dinner- they even got dessert:)

Sunday was church then lunch and M2's second game.  I'm still a little in shock from it.  They lost by probably 20 points.  M2 came off and said she was punched in the stomach, slapped in the chest, and there was a lot of kicking and pushing.  The other coach was encouraging his team to do a play that scores points, but just wasn't good soccer.  I will give our girls credit, they were still cheering and having fun until the end.

After the game we hit the pool for a few hours.  Dh also installed a countertop in our utility room so I can finally use the cupboards that were taken out of our kitchen 5 years ago. 

Monday am DH set up the smoker with meats and the kids played with the neighbors while we rearranged the bedroom.  After lunch I took them to the pool until dinner.  DH stayed home and fixed the toilet and washed and folded all of the laundry!  I took 6let to practice and made the mistake of trying to run.  2 miles and I was getting dizzy from the heat.

And now today....It's hot.  REALLY hot.  The city schools are having a third day of early release because of heat.  Cue all the "they never did this when I was kid." Um. They can't open the windows today.

Our new mattress comes tonight!!!  I hope it's worth the $$$$

Re: It's Tuesday already!

• Options
    That's nuts @6fsn, did other parents complain about the aggressive playing? 

I had a really shitastic week last week.  Tuesday our flight as canceled so we just drove home, Wednesday i went back to work and came into something going on at work and then on Friday I left a well lit parking garage, and forgot to put my lights on (my headlights are automatic, but my tail lights are not) and a cop pulled me over/ticketed me for it.  Saturday I got my water rower shipped to me but the box was severely busted and the monitor is broken. I have to wait for another one to be shipped.  To be fair, I can still use it with no resistance, which is actually a good starting point for a few days. 

H also put together my ab coaster, and man did I feel it this morning! I'm hoping my decision to buy equipment vs. join another gym & get a personal trainer is worth it.

Also, is it Friday yet?  As it turns out, I like the weekends. 

• Options

First day back at work from long weekend is always a bad day.  But this one is super sucky :(.  It's a lot of stress right now because of Tropical Storm Gordon.  Should I leave work early?  Will I come in tomorrow?  Will I lose electricity and have to get rid of a bunch of food (nooooo!)?

On top of that, my nightmare tenant didn't move out on the 31st like she was supposed to.  Or even over the weekend.  We were already delayed filing for an eviction because of the holiday.  AND now City Hall is going to be closed today...and probably tomorrow...for Tropical Storm Gordon.  Really?!?!  Because everybody else is working today, Mayor Cantrell.  It's not even supposed to start raining until this afternoon.  They definitely could have been open for at least half the day.  Bunch of babies.  Whatever.

Except for that tenant, it was a really good weekend, though.  My H and I had our last hurrah with restaurant month on Fri.  Our lunch excursion was okay, not great.  But dinner was awesome.  We went grocery shopping on Sun.  And spent the rest of the weekend just lazing around.  We got some work done around the house, though not nearly as much as I'd planned.  C'est la vie.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    That is nuts, 6! That's great, though that the girls weren't visibly disheartened by the other teams' behavior. Man. 

Jesus, Pam! You deserve a break! But for me, my elliptical was the best $500 I ever spent. It's SO HARD to work out, period, let alone have to go somewhere to do it. I was on that thing at 5:00 this morning - no way in hell would I be able to get up even earlier to go to a gym for that shit. 

I had a great weekend. Good balance of laying around, cooking, cleaning and a little bit of fun. H can't get his finger wet or anything until he gets his stitches out so I had to do all the dishes. Ugh I have a new respect for him because doing dishes sucks ass. H didn't spend much money at all at the bike swap meet, which was really nice and he and my dad had a good time. 

I have a haircut tonight after work and H is making tostadas. So I will have to coach him all the way home, LOL.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options

We had a great weekend. My family came to visit and we had so much fun! DH and I actually got to do a bunch of touristy stuff done in Philly and it was a blast!

I am super grouchy today. Have you ever worked with someone who talks so much? Like an astronomical amount? My co-worker is the most negative person I have ever encountered and complains about EVERYTHING. Today she was complaining about something and I had to turn around and say “you will always receive the energy you put out in the universe”

She shut up. Thank goodness.

Today I am going to the farmers market as I am in the mood to bake a pie!

• Options
    That is nuts, 6! That's great, though that the girls weren't visibly disheartened by the other teams' behavior. Man. 

Jesus, Pam! You deserve a break! But for me, my elliptical was the best $500 I ever spent. It's SO HARD to work out, period, let alone have to go somewhere to do it. I was on that thing at 5:00 this morning - no way in hell would I be able to get up even earlier to go to a gym for that shit. 

I had a great weekend. Good balance of laying around, cooking, cleaning and a little bit of fun. H can't get his finger wet or anything until he gets his stitches out so I had to do all the dishes. Ugh I have a new respect for him because doing dishes sucks ass. H didn't spend much money at all at the bike swap meet, which was really nice and he and my dad had a good time. 

I have a haircut tonight after work and H is making tostadas. So I will have to coach him all the way home, LOL.
    this is 100% me.  But sometimes I can't even  make myself do the stuff I have at home. I owned an elliptical once too. I liked it but I loved walking more, so I gave it away.  Owning the home equipment (and using it) is cheaper in the long run anyway. 

@NBSquared2017, I have someone like that too.  Whoa is me.  Everything.  She complains about SO MUCH that I've learned to block her actually.

@short+sassy, I hope everything settles down so you can file soon.  I didn't have much faith in her coming through, I think you'll be better off finding someone new to get in that place.  Less headaches down the road.

• Options
    @short+sassy what a PITA for you.   Hopefully by Thursday things move along.   Have you been able to contact the case worker at least? 

Weekend was great -  too short!

Saturday Chiquito got his Jeep Power Wheels for his birthday and LOVED driving that thing around the yard.   I took Chiquita to the pool and we stayed low.   Sunday we had church, some low key afternoon stuff and then by evening we were at the pool with MIL and FIL for grillin' and chillin'.

Monday we got up, packed a lunch and piled into the boat.   We drove about 20 minutes and then anchored near a great beach area.   Chiquita jumped off the boat, Chiquito had a great time swimming and we explored the area.  I'm not sure how many other times we'll get to go this year (or if) but that's definitely on the list for places to go for next summer.     A crab clamped on my big toe (at least I think it was one) and it's still sore but other than that it was SO MUCH FUN.   Then on the way back another boat in the marina was on the way back from Montauk where they caught a thresher shark.   The kids LOVED walking down to see it and the tail was a good 5 feet long!   We went home for naptime and came back later to pool it up.  While there the guys were still there cutting up the fish and now we have a 3 lb steak to eat tonight.   I've never had thresher shark but today I'm looking forward to a pretty interesting dinner! 

School is back on and it's HOT.   The thing that sucks in this weather is knowing your kid is going to just boil in an un air conditioned school.  Oh well - bathing suits are washed! 
  • Options

Dang CharmedPam- FWIW I like working out at home so much better.  Like Shessocold I was working out at 5 am.  That would have never happened if I had to go somewhere.  Plus I don't have to worry about what I look like or what weird sounds I make.

Short+sassy- I hope the storm isn't bad.

Our coaches were PISSED after the game.  This was supposed to be a league sanctioned game with refs and a full field.  When we got there the other coach had cancelled the ref, shortened the field and put up smaller goals. Our team reported it to the league, but the aggressiveness isn't really reportable.  Except a ref would have been able to keep it in check and if they were on a regulation field there would have been more spread- and their goalie couldn't do the trick play.

I'm really confused about my kid's math group too.  In year's past every student would pretest and then get grouped based on knowledge of that unit.  They always referred to the top group as the "high level learners" never gifted.  At the end of last year he was asked to test for gifted.  We got a letter that he didn't meet the test requirements and summer went on.

Right before school started we got a letter from the last round of tests.  He scored 806 out of 814.  I thought "I'm not really sure what makes gifted, but ok."

His math teacher is listed as one person, but he said the gifted coordinator also teaches his math class.  I get into his account today and see his section listed as gifted and there are all sorts of math programs I've never seen before. 

His 4th grade has 5 teachers that "team teach" and the rotate through all of the kids.  They said to just email the whole team with questions and they'd answer, but I don't even know what to ask except WTF is going on with my kid?  The "gifted" coordinator isn't one of the 4th grade teachers either.  She's for the whole school. 

Nothing like 4th grade math making me feel stupid:(

• Options
    @banana468, hmmm, contacting the case worker is a good idea.  I was going to e-mail them copies of the eviction filing.  But, since it might be a couple days now, I might as well.  I doubt they'll do anything, but it doesn't hurt.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

6 - I would be wary of that coach following rules in the future, so I would give pep talks to M2 before you play that team again.  When my sister and I coached softball, there was 1 town that always dominated overaggressivley, so we always gave a good talk before the game with the team about what to expect.  One year, that town tried to go into the move advanced private league, they must have done terrible because they came back to the municipality league the next year.  That one year was so nice!

S+S - Good thoughts on the coming storm!  Hope it just passes by with rain and no major flooding. 

Our weekend was good.  I was crazy busy with work on Friday, but we were able to leave at 3.  We went out to Rodizio, a Brazilian Steakhouse, for dinner with a free groupon from MIL, so we just had to pay tip.

Saturday we got up early and went to the Amish mart.  Got some delicious bacon, egg & cheese pretzels for breakfast.  Also picked up some donuts for Sunday's breakfast and some other fresh food for the weekend.  We also hit up church.

Sunday was mostly relaxing.  We did run some errands including going to the used children's store.  I needed a new Eagles outfit for DD and I refuse to pay $30 for something that will fit for 1 season!  They also had a 20% off sale.  I bought the only Eagles outfit available in a close size.  It's a 3T, but I'm hoping we will get 2 season's out of it, since she typically is wearing 18 months now.  I also got a few pieces in 24 months for the winter time.  I also did some work from home as I had been unable to end any billable time for the month of August and it is all due today by noon.

Monday we had Hs friends over with their grandchild.  Their GD is just a few months younger than DD, so those two enjoyed playing together.  I tried a recipe in the InstantPot and it was a bust.  The first Burn I have received, but at least it was just potatoes.  Also, because they were browned first and did steam while the unit tried to come to pressure, they were at least cooked through!  So dinner wasn't a total bust!  We will heat up the remaining potatoes in our air fryer, so they will get nice and crispy in there!

Today I have the chiropractor (which has been helping me so much!) and then I will probably make dinner tonight.  Usually H makes dinner, but this is his busiest week all year, with the teachers going back to schools.  So I know he will want to relax when he finally gets home.

• Options

@OliveOilsMom, I'm glad a chiropractor has been working out for you!  I know you were unsure about it, before starting the sessions.

Thanks for good wishes on the weather, everyone!  The storm is currently delayed and major thunderstorms are not expected here until tomorrow afternoon.  Which is good for me, because I'll be able to work the rest of the day.  If things stand the way they do now, I'll even be able to come in tomorrow morning and then probably leave at lunch.  But, yes, that also means City Hall closed today for absolutely no reason, smh. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Jen4948 said:
    First day of a new job.

It's been weird so far: I haven't yet received my formal offer letter and didn't receive an email from my new boss telling me what time to arrive. I thought I was going to be late, but I got here early.

They set up a computer for me but failed to set up some important apps that I was told I'm supposed to be able to use. They placed me at a desk in a room that I'm going to be moved from tomorrow. 

This isn't the company's fault, but I also had to request time off for the Jewish High Holy Days coming up next week and the following week. Just made things weirder.

And annoyingly, my bank cleared automatic payments before deposits today, leaving me with a huge goose egg in my account. Again, not the company's fault but makes things awkward.

I hope it's not like this going forward.
    Despite some of the first day bumps, yay new job!  I'm sure it will get better.  The first few days at a new place are always a bit awkward.  I know you've gone to a bunch of interviews over the last few weeks.  Is it a permanent position from one of those?  Or a temp job?  I hope the former.  That would be really great news.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @oliveoilsmom, I actually am getting benefits from my chiro too.  My back still hurts from time to time, but I notice improvement.
    @jen4948 congrats on the new job! I must have missed the announcement.  Hope all goes well and those bumps will be smoothed out soon.
    @short+sassy, lets hope the storm is hyped up.  Chicago always gets hyped up storms.

• Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited September 2018

@OliveOilsMom, I'm glad a chiropractor has been working out for you!  I know you were unsure about it, before starting the sessions.

Thanks for good wishes on the weather, everyone!  The storm is currently delayed and major thunderstorms are not expected here until tomorrow afternoon.  Which is good for me, because I'll be able to work the rest of the day.  If things stand the way they do now, I'll even be able to come in tomorrow morning and then probably leave at lunch.  But, yes, that also means City Hall closed today for absolutely no reason, smh. 

Better to be safe than sorry.

Last year I had jury duty originally scheduled for August 25, the day Hurricane Harvey made landfall. Even before I knew for sure that it would be canceled, I postponed it and had to eventually report (I wasn't empaneled, luckily) after the hurricane. Stay safe!
  • Options
    @oliveoilsmom, I actually am getting benefits from my chiro too.  My back still hurts from time to time, but I notice improvement.
    @jen4948 congrats on the new job! I must have missed the announcement.  Hope all goes well and those bumps will be smoothed out soon.
    @short+sassy, lets hope the storm is hyped up.  Chicago always gets hyped up storms.
    Thanks! I didn't announce it because it's so late-breaking.
  • Options
    Our weekend was pretty low-key at the farm.  The weather was kind of iffy the whole time and I was tired.  DH really just let me do what I felt like and didn't ask for much.  The kids left me alone too.  We went to see his uncle in ICU and it went OK.  He's still in rough shape, but is making progress.  I got to meet DH's cousin's new baby and see their new house.  I got some decent sleep. SIL and BIL came too with my nephews.  My youngest nephew is just so stinking happy and smiley all the time.  I got all sorts of baby snuggles.  

My mom is at her last chemo today.  Still waiting on a surgery date.  Gently suggested a second opinion (we have an MD Anderson affiliated hospital system in the area, which in my brief research they had some info on her cancer on their website).  She is going to ask her surgeon who he's consulting with about her case...so, we'll see. 

I'm trying not to be annoyed with DH because he's trying to be helpful, but he keeps telling me to 'spend as much time possible' with my mom/parents.  And while I agree, no amount of time I spend with my mom is going to cure my anxiety about all of this.  He's coming from a perspective of losing his mom suddenly, so I'm trying not to be a dick.  I did gently tell him that I don't need him to give me platitudes just because I look tired or upset.  Just a hug is all I need.  I've got a call in to a couple therapists.  
  • Options
    Congrats @Jen4948!!
  • Options
    Congrats on the new job, @Jen4948!!!

What else have I missed while I was gone? Any news? Gossip? Drama? Epic threads? 
    Welcome back! Nothing I can think of.  How's baby sparklepants?

• Options
    6fsn said:

How was the weekend? We got a bunch of little things done and relaxed a bit too.

DH took Friday off.  We took Max to lunch and generally hung around.  Saturday M2 had her first soccer game.  They lost by a lot, but that wasn't unexpected. Then we did a build at Home Depot, hung around and watched some of the OSU game.  DH took Max to the Crew game and I took the other 2 to dinner- they even got dessert:)

Sunday was church then lunch and M2's second game.  I'm still a little in shock from it.  They lost by probably 20 points.  M2 came off and said she was punched in the stomach, slapped in the chest, and there was a lot of kicking and pushing.  The other coach was encouraging his team to do a play that scores points, but just wasn't good soccer.  I will give our girls credit, they were still cheering and having fun until the end.

After the game we hit the pool for a few hours.  Dh also installed a countertop in our utility room so I can finally use the cupboards that were taken out of our kitchen 5 years ago. 

Monday am DH set up the smoker with meats and the kids played with the neighbors while we rearranged the bedroom.  After lunch I took them to the pool until dinner.  DH stayed home and fixed the toilet and washed and folded all of the laundry!  I took 6let to practice and made the mistake of trying to run.  2 miles and I was getting dizzy from the heat.

And now today....It's hot.  REALLY hot.  The city schools are having a third day of early release because of heat.  Cue all the "they never did this when I was kid." Um. They can't open the windows today.

Our new mattress comes tonight!!!  I hope it's worth the $$$$

I hope things cool down, you're feeling better  and you get your new mattress. Sorry about the other soccer team's bad sportsmanship. I hope M2's coach files a complaint against the other team and its coach. But congrats about the new countertop.
  • Options
    Congrats @Jen4948! Sounds like they were so excited for you to start they just couldn’t get everything ready. And welcome back @sparklepants41 it was good to “see” you at the draft last night! 

Weekend was all right. We did a ton of work at the house, which always takes 5 times longer than we plan, but we’re making progress. Went to a party Sunday with a ton of friends, and was lots of fun, and less than a 10 minute drive! 

My Mom finally came to see the house, and she loved it. We had fun, but it’s hard because my Dad can’t leave the house. I think I’m still having a hard time adjusting and that we don’t know if this is normal recovery or if this is how he’ll be from now on. I think my mom is in a little bit of denial (totally reasonable) and I’m just letting it go. But it’s all just hard. 

Also, I have a big deadline tomorrow, and last week I was all “oh it’s not due until Wednesday”. Yeah Wednesday is tomorrow. 
  • Options

What else have I missed while I was gone? Any news? Gossip? Drama? Epic threads? 
    Welcome back! Nothing I can think of.  How's baby sparklepants?
    Thanks for asking! She's awesome - just turned 13 months - we had an epic first birthday for her in the middle of a storm with flash flood advisories and had 42 people in our house celebrating! She has 3 molars and the 4th is just starting to make her miserable. She's pulling herself up, climbing, and rather than walking, she is doing this hilarious crawl-walk hybrid that looks like an elephant walk. It's hysterical. She has a pretty big vocabulary but it's filled with random words like chicken noises, Cyclops, and "I got it!" She cracks me up. 
    awww she sounds adorbs I love that age!...and honestly I thought it was like 7 months(ish) already.  Where has the time flown?

• Options

Good to "see" you again!  We've missed you around here.  I saw what you wrote during the draft, but then things started flying and I didn't get a chance to reply back.  I'm glad you're okay, overall.  I'm sure Baby Sparklepants is bringing lots of cuteness and entertainment into your world, lol.

There were a few epic threads, though not in quantities like the old days.  Some posters were having major issues logging in/posting.  That went on for 1-2 weeks, so you'll see a lot of posts about that.  And "repeat" posts that showed up all at once, when things got resolved.

Lots of news from everyone, over the last few months.  Some good, some bad.  The usual.  I had a weeklong trip to CA recently, to visit friends and family.  No other major news from me.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

MrsConn - Glad you are seeking a therapist to help you work through your thoughts.  Hugs for you!  I hope that your mom will consider the second opinion before the invasive surgery.  Even if a surgery is still necessary, MD Anderson may have a less invasive version.

Jen - Congrats on the job!  I hope it works out well for you!

Sparkle - Welcome back!  Glad to hear all is well with DD! Make sure you video that elephant walk, one day she will just pop up and never do it again!  My DD was walking all over the place on her knees, then one day it was feet only.  Never did get that picture of knee walking!  She is 18 months now and just started in the Toddler room today!

• Options
    Giant hugs @mrsconn23. A therapist sounds like a really good idea. 
  • Options

MrsConn - Glad you are seeking a therapist to help you work through your thoughts.  Hugs for you!  I hope that your mom will consider the second opinion before the invasive surgery.  Even if a surgery is still necessary, MD Anderson may have a less invasive version.

Jen - Congrats on the job!  I hope it works out well for you!

Sparkle - Welcome back!  Glad to hear all is well with DD! Make sure you video that elephant walk, one day she will just pop up and never do it again!  My DD was walking all over the place on her knees, then one day it was feet only.  Never did get that picture of knee walking!  She is 18 months now and just started in the Toddler room today!

LOL H has a few videos of the elephant walk, during one of which she screams DOGGY!!! at the top of her lungs when the dog passes her. We are also wondering if this elephant walk is her attempt at walking like the dog. It's possible we are raising a child who thinks she is a dog. lol
  • Options

Good to "see" you again!  We've missed you around here.  I saw what you wrote during the draft, but then things started flying and I didn't get a chance to reply back.  I'm glad you're okay, overall.  I'm sure Baby Sparklepants is bringing lots of cuteness and entertainment into your world, lol.

There were a few epic threads, though not in quantities like the old days.  Some posters were having major issues logging in/posting.  That went on for 1-2 weeks, so you'll see a lot of posts about that.  And "repeat" posts that showed up all at once, when things got resolved.

Lots of news from everyone, over the last few months.  Some good, some bad.  The usual.  I had a weeklong trip to CA recently, to visit friends and family.  No other major news from me.

Thank you. It's been a tough few years at work because the industry has been so hot and my line of work is especially deadline-driven. There hasn't been the ebb and flow there should be - it's more like being waterboarded with way too much work. This was the straw that almost ended me. It's given me the confidence to say "fuck it" though and finally start putting myself and my family first.