Wedding Woes
Options

Tuesday= recovery day

Last week was long and hard.  The weekend was just as busy.  Yesterday I shoved the kids on the bus, drove 2 hrs to the office, drove back straight to teaching, and finally say my butt on the couch at 8:30pm.

Today I "slept in" until 6. Max has a dentist appointment and I have just a little bit of work.  We're spending the afternoon watching movies in bed:)

Weekend stuff: 6let got recruited for a futsal soccer club.  The coach gave DH his number and said he'd put 6let on a premier (top level) team.  His premier team won nationals last year.  Guess I know what we're doing this winter.

Shitty stuff: sFIL has prostate cancer.  They said early stages, slow growing and very treatable, but still sucky. 

Re: Tuesday= recovery day

• Options
    Oh no, I'm sorry. T&V to your sFIL, 6.

I have my first tattoo removal tonight. I'm nervous but excited. Ready to be done with this thing. H is all "you should get X or Y tattoo". Um, I'm getting my only tattoo removed. I am not mature enough for another one.

I got to the bottom of my office pregnancy rumor. Another person named ShesSoCold used to work here and she's the cousin of a current employee. She's pregnant. At least someone didn't just pull out their ass that I'm pregnant and start telling people.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    so sorry to hear that, 6! still sucky for sure :(
    When last names come in handy, huh? @shessocold?  

I walked into work today and heard annoying coworker on speaker, talking about linkedin.  She immediately went off speaker when I sat down.  oh pleases be looking for a job, please be looking for a job, please! Chances are she was probably just helping out the other person.  She wouldn't get up and leave this comfy job.

Me last Thursday: "OK. If I don't spend anything from now to payday, I SHOULD be OK and won't have to dip into savings".
    me last Friday: "you know what I need? The bradford exchange haunted house collection".
    Friday evening: "well now I need a new entertainment set to display the collection.  Oh look, Macy's is having a great furniture sale".
    Me on Saturday: "crap, now my end tables don't match the entertainment set I bought.  Time to look for end tables!".

yeah, I got a shopping addiction.  To be fair, I have been meaning to get a new entertainment set since i moved in 2015.  I just held it off this long.

• Options
    @charmedpam I have the same problem.  I shouldn't spend money, but I also don't want that $10 coupon to go to waste....
  • Options
    6fsn said:
    @charmedpam I have the same problem.  I shouldn't spend money, but I also don't want that $10 coupon to go to waste....
    Totally me.  I just ordered a ton of stuff from LL Bean because I had a 20% off coupon. 

H has another internal interview today. Fingers crossed it goes well because otherwise he’s going to look for a new job and (and I know this is selfish), but I’d really just like for neither of us to be interviewing/starting a new job for like 6 months. That’s not too much to ask for, right? 

Good thoughts to your sFIL @6fsn
  • Options

@6fsn, good vibes for your sFIL

@ShesSoCold, the origination of the pregnancy rumor is hilarious!

@CharmedPam, dipping into savings until payday is okay, as long as you "pay yourself back".  Even if it is...eventuualllyyy, lol.  At least that is what I always say :).

And it is a battle with the post office, yet again, smh.  I was supposed to have had an Amazon delivery yesterday.  Except the "carrier", ie USPS, said they "couldn't get to the front door, mailbox, or driveway, so please look for a note from them or contact them for the next steps".

That is a bold-faced lie.  I live in a house.  Right on a normal street.  With a lovely porch and no gates at all.  My mail carrier is just lazy AF and always has been.  He won't deliver packages, nor does he ever even at least leave one of those little notes.

So now, per Amazon instructions, I am trying to "contact the carrier".  Much easier said than done.  There is a 1-hour hold time for the nationwide phone number.  I've called my local branch multiple times...which is probably who I need to talk to anyway...but they aren't picking up the phone.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    So sorry about your SFIL, 6.  T+P's. 

I really want fall to actually show up.  I'm tired of having the air on, but our house would be an oven without it.  We did get our chimney swept yesterday and DH bought and stacked two ricks of wood, so I'm beyond ready to cozy up to a fire with a bourbon. 

I'm in 2nd place overall in my group for the annual top performer award.  I'm probably not going to make it to 1st.  Being in 2nd is a shock to me, because this year has been so tough on a personal level.  I also told myself I wasn't going to try for it, just put my head down and work.  But to be in 2nd...I can't lie, I'm a little bummed.  But I guess I have a goal for next year. ;) (1st place people get an all expenses paid trip. I'm not sure if there are consolation prizes or not.) 

SSDD otherwise. It's Tuesday, again.  Work and more work ahead.  :D 
  • Options
    I went overboard with that LL Bean coupon last night too @charlotte989875!  Ugh @short+sassy I hate when I get that message!  I’m in a house with no fence, a porch, plenty of parking in front (in parts of my city there’s nowhere to stop)...how couldn’t you get to me?! That and the “attempted to ring door bell/knock- no answer” bc back when I was home with the kids and just working 1-2 days a week, I’d be waiting for something and then at noon get that alert- no, you never knocked or rang the bell, I would’ve heard it  :|

I’m desperate to start cooking cooler-weather food but it’s 70s by me.  I love crisp air and it’s muggy.  I did make a phenomenal Brussels sprouts salad for dinner yesterday that one of the chefs on my favorite cooking show made last week.  My kids are great with veggies but not usually in salad form and even they enjoyed.  H wouldn’t have liked it but he worked overnight which is a good time for me to try new things.  SSDD otherwise...hope your travel home goes smoothly @levioosa

• Options
    CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2018

@6fsn, good vibes for your sFIL

@ShesSoCold, the origination of the pregnancy rumor is hilarious!

@CharmedPam, dipping into savings until payday is okay, as long as you "pay yourself back".  Even if it is...eventuualllyyy, lol.  At least that is what I always say :).

And it is a battle with the post office, yet again, smh.  I was supposed to have had an Amazon delivery yesterday.  Except the "carrier", ie USPS, said they "couldn't get to the front door, mailbox, or driveway, so please look for a note from them or contact them for the next steps".

That is a bold-faced lie.  I live in a house.  Right on a normal street.  With a lovely porch and no gates at all.  My mail carrier is just lazy AF and always has been.  He won't deliver packages, nor does he ever even at least leave one of those little notes.

So now, per Amazon instructions, I am trying to "contact the carrier".  Much easier said than done.  There is a 1-hour hold time for the nationwide phone number.  I've called my local branch multiple times...which is probably who I need to talk to anyway...but they aren't picking up the phone.

Yes, that IS the plan...... lol.  I'm going to corporate next week for training, I'm being trained for a new function and adding on 2 more sales reps to support.  I was told I can enter overtime if i need it since i'm steady/busy right now.  So basically I'm already anticipating O.T. and hence, spending it.  I may or may not even get it!

• Options
    eileenrob said:
    I went overboard with that LL Bean coupon last night too @charlotte989875!  Ugh @short+sassy I hate when I get that message!  I’m in a house with no fence, a porch, plenty of parking in front (in parts of my city there’s nowhere to stop)...how couldn’t you get to me?! That and the “attempted to ring door bell/knock- no answer” bc back when I was home with the kids and just working 1-2 days a week, I’d be waiting for something and then at noon get that alert- no, you never knocked or rang the bell, I would’ve heard it  :|

Yes!  My H is usually at home.  We've gotten that one also when he was definitely at the house and no one had come by at all.

I thought it was just a problem with my specific mail carrier, but apparently it is more widespread, smh.

I just discovered where to file a complaint on the USPS site.  So I did.  Mainly about my mail carrier.  But also threw in how long the wait time is on their national number and that their local office isn't picking up the phone.  Just for good measure!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Oh no, @6fsn! I'm sorry to hear about your sFIL - sending you and your family good vibes. 

The two back-to-back meetings I led yesterday went really well, so today is follow-up as well as preparation for the two-day training I will be in tomorrow and Thursday. 

Speaking of USPS gripes, our regular letter carrier has been out for a few months (not sure if he left or got reassigned, or something else) and I really hope he comes back. In the meantime, we have had really stellar letter carriers and really shitty ones - no happy medium. The shitty one we have had doesn't deliver our mail until after 5:30pm (if he even delivers it) and I am 93.5% sure he is hanging out with out neighbor across the street for hours at a time when he is assigned our neighborhood. I wouldn't ordinarily care, but 9 times out of 10 he is assigned our route when I am expecting something in the mail and either we don't get mail at all that day - not even junk mail, which is bizarre - or we get our mail delivered after I have already gotten home for the evening with Babypants.
  • Options
    Funny USPS story: DH and I have had a RING doorbell for about 18 months now.  Around a year ago the doorbell recorded our mail lady delivering a package to our front door and you could hear her say, "Shouldn't do it.   Shouldn't FUCKIN' DO IT," and then she hurled the box at our doorstep. 

DH later tweeted the video.    

Thus far our stuff is showing up on time and without issue.  
  • Options
    lol Banana like she was internally wrestling with "to throw or not to throw" ?? 
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    Funny USPS story: DH and I have had a RING doorbell for about 18 months now.  Around a year ago the doorbell recorded our mail lady delivering a package to our front door and you could hear her say, "Shouldn't do it.   Shouldn't FUCKIN' DO IT," and then she hurled the box at our doorstep. 

Damn. I’m assuming she’s no longer your mail carrier? 

Do you like the Ring? We’re looking at security systems now and don’t know where to start. 
  • Options
    I recently realized that I haven't received several pieces of mail that I should have in this house and I think it's USPS. I find it hard to believe that only since living here, I've been B-listed to a wedding, not invited to another at all, not invited to a shower at all and not received thank you notes that others have.

But, thankfully, I have been receiving the previous owners' mail regularly. Like, daily. I even keep a pen in the mailbox so I don't have to go back into the house, write my "RETURN TO SENDER - NOT AT THIS ADDRESS" note and go back out. 

So frustrating. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    banana468 said:

Whoa!  WTF?

For all the people clamoring for postal jobs because of the job security, good pay, and amazing benefits.  You'd think USPS could do a much better job in their hiring.  At least they used to be really great jobs.  Maybe that isn't true anymore.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I think she's still our carrier.   Thus far I'm still getting our stuff which is fine.

RING is OK.   I like that I can talk to those at the door from my phone and I can see who may be outside it from my phone.

I think it's best as in conjunction with a home security system but if I wanted more security I'd get a full system. 
  • Options
    I’m so sorry @6fsn. Good thoughts and vibes to sFIL. 

That’s kind of hilarious @banana468

USPS is doing this thing now where they scan and email the mail that’s getting delivered each day. So opening the mailbox isn’t a surprise anymore unless something I’m expecting to be there is missing. Which....in my area has the potential to happen a lot, so I’m grateful for the extra help spotting when something might be off. 

I just landed. Unfortunately I had to check a bag so I’ll be waiting for that before my very expensive Uber home. I’m really glad I went. The support was good for her and she really needed affirmation as well. I am glad to be home though. Five days went by so fast. 

• Options
    mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited October 2018
    banana468 said:

Damn. I’m assuming she’s no longer your mail carrier? 

Do you like the Ring? We’re looking at security systems now and don’t know where to start. 
    We have SimpliSafe and it's been great.  We are looking at camera systems.  I'm not sure what our options are through SimpliSafe.  But their $15 per month monitoring can't be beat and I think we spent under $200 for our kit, 4 door sensors, 1 keypad, 1 motion sensor, and 1 panic button. 
  • Options
    levioosa said:
    I’m so sorry @6fsn. Good thoughts and vibes to sFIL. 

That’s kind of hilarious @banana468

USPS is doing this thing now where they scan and email the mail that’s getting delivered each day. So opening the mailbox isn’t a surprise anymore unless something I’m expecting to be there is missing. Which....in my area has the potential to happen a lot, so I’m grateful for the extra help spotting when something might be off. 

I just landed. Unfortunately I had to check a bag so I’ll be waiting for that before my very expensive Uber home. I’m really glad I went. The support was good for her and she really needed affirmation as well. I am glad to be home though. Five days went by so fast. 

I signed up for that also.  I really like it.

It's great you were able to be such a comfort for your friend.  I hope she continues to find solace in the days ahead.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    H is a mail carrier, he's been a sub for over 6 years and finally, maybe will have a chance to get a regular route in Jan. PP that think its a good job, it kind of is but they hire as subs that get crap hours for the first few years and a lot less pay, no vacation and work every sat and now they have added every sunday. So, they hire new subs every few months because hardly any will stay. H finally gets enough hours and hopefully the actual job soon but most can't afford to stick it out. He now gets 40 or more hours but the new one's only get sat and sunday most weeks. They have to furnish their own vehicles in most areas too. 

You should def call your local PO and report nondelivery or misdelivered stuff, they (at least locally) have a only weed out the bad ones when they get customer complaints. 

• Options
    H is a mail carrier, he's been a sub for over 6 years and finally, maybe will have a chance to get a regular route in Jan. PP that think its a good job, it kind of is but they hire as subs that get crap hours for the first few years and a lot less pay, no vacation and work every sat and now they have added every sunday. So, they hire new subs every few months because hardly any will stay. H finally gets enough hours and hopefully the actual job soon but most can't afford to stick it out. He now gets 40 or more hours but the new one's only get sat and sunday most weeks. They have to furnish their own vehicles in most areas too. 

You should def call your local PO and report nondelivery or misdelivered stuff, they (at least locally) have a only weed out the bad ones when they get customer complaints. 

yes, I know 2 mail carriers too and what you say is the truth!

• Options
    short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2018

Thanks for the insider view!  That's weird about Sundays.  I've never lived anywhere that had mail delivery on Sundays.  In fact, I'd heard USPS has been considering cutting out Sat. deliveries.

Edited to add:  Good luck to your H!  I hope he finally gets a regular route.  The "subs" thing explains a lot.

I've also never heard of carriers furnishing their own vehicles.  But then, I've always lived in at least medium sized cities.

I have actually complained a few times to the local PO for my neighborhood, but they gave me the impression they couldn't care less and nothing changed.

I actually had an unbelievably bad experience a couple years ago, where refrigerated medication got sent back to the company because the carrier neither delivered the package nor left one of the little cards that this package was waiting for me at the PO.  It's actually a much worse and longer story than that.

I went completely ballistic and took it up the chain with the national headquarters.  Everyone I spoke to was sympathetic, but I was never given an update as to what was going to happen.

However, I noticed...at least those packages...magically started getting delivered after that.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    also, @shessocold, if you make it up to season 7 in the office, there's a really funny weight watchers bit.  Like, worth watching all six seasons to get to it :)

• Options
    also, @shessocold, if you make it up to season 7 in the office, there's a really funny weight watchers bit.  Like, worth watching all six seasons to get to it :)

I don't think this is ruining it, but is that the one where the whole office gets on a giant scale?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    this was my first day back at work.  I'm REALLY tired.  like absurdly so.  But we rigged up my worklaptop so I can more or less have a standing desk.  And they put me at jobs where I don't have to bend.  I'm ready for my nap

But progress.  Tomorrow I have to get the kid to her OT, then meet my parents so they can get her to school (late) so I can get to my PT. 
    Then thursday I work late for an event...dinosaurs and their links to birds, yay!  the zoo is coming and bringing live birds and I get to talk to kids about dinosaurs with feathers, which...feathered t rex is terrifyingly awesome, IMo:

• Options
    GBCK said:
    this was my first day back at work.  I'm REALLY tired.  like absurdly so.  But we rigged up my worklaptop so I can more or less have a standing desk.  And they put me at jobs where I don't have to bend.  I'm ready for my nap

But progress.  Tomorrow I have to get the kid to her OT, then meet my parents so they can get her to school (late) so I can get to my PT. 
    Then thursday I work late for an event...dinosaurs and their links to birds, yay!  the zoo is coming and bringing live birds and I get to talk to kids about dinosaurs with feathers, which...feathered t rex is terrifyingly awesome, IMo:

He's great!  He reminds me of the mohawks from the '80s, lol.

I hope you start feeling more revived as you get back into the swing of things.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I don't think this is ruining it, but is that the one where the whole office gets on a giant scale?
    Nope. But that's a great episode! This is just a one liner about weight watchers points (made by Daryl) but SO TRUE it's funny!

• Options
    Hopefully I'll get there! H is over it but I want to keep watching.
  • Options
    Yesterday USPS was awesome. We had bad storms and it rained all day. I came home to my new shoes stashed safely in my storm door. I was a little worried they would just be sitting out in the rain.