Military Brides
Options

Colors?

Hi, I'm new to the Knot and I was wondeing what your gals opinions would be on a color scheme for a vintage military wedding. My fiancee is in the Army so he would be wearing a 1940s brown Army uniform... since it's vintage I was planning on having the colors red, white, and black... but I'm starting to think if he and his groomsmens uniforms would off set my color scheme ideas?

Re: Colors?

• Options
    Why not just have him wear his acutal uniform instead of a costume and then have everything else be vintage?  
    Old style 1940's weddings had muted color tones.  Red, white and blue would be pretty bright and not really what that style of wedding would have been like.  Colors like sage, goldenrod, navy and mauve would have been common.  

When I spoke to my grandmother about this, she said, if there were bridesmaids, they usually didn't even wear the same dress.  She said it was usually only the really affluent weddings that had matching maid's dresses.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I'm going to second just him wearing whichever dress uniform he has as it is now. Also, it sounds like he's down, but does he want to wear the uniform? Some guys don't, so it's good to ask. 

Here's the thing about color schemes, people notice the overall arc of them, but rarely do they say, "Hmmm, the groomsmen are in black tuxes, so, black must be on of the wedding colors." My FI will be in Air Force Mess Dress (navy) and his GMs will be in black. There is no black anywhere else in the wedding, and I doubt it's going to confuse anyone about the colors we are using. Same goes with the uniforms. Use the BM dresses, flowers, and decorations, as well as how you do your hair and make-up and the style of your dress to suggest the theme/colors. 

Also, when I think vintage Americana, or vintage in general, I don't think of colors as stark as red, black, and white. 
  • Options
    ... since when did weddings need a theme?  And costumes?  I thought the theme was "wedding"!

Anniversary

• Options
    He wants to wear the old uniform... He used to do reenactments so he already has the uniform. Thank you for your opinions I like your color ideas better than my original; I don't know what I was thinking those colors as vintage. Also I don't have a grandmother to ask so thank you very much for giving me your grandmother's input : that helped a lot too
  • Options
    They don't need to be themed but we wanted it to be, thought it would be a bit exciting... Something different than everyone else right now.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards