Military Brides
Options

More problems: location? =can't set a date and where to send gifts?

So now we have more problems.

My fiance (newly engaged) has finally gotten some word about orders. He chose a naval flight school start date of Sept 3. His graduation and commission are May 8 and 9th respectively. Other than that start date, we have no idea about where or other details yet. His father who was also a navy pilot said we/he will probably be stashed somewhere until then. And as far as we know, where ever we go (probably NAS pensacola) we can only be sure of being there for maybe 6 months or so.

So after my long blab...the dilema is: we had just about set a date of May 29 2011...but now we cant even be sure of where we are going to be within the next 6months to a year. How the hell are we going to set a date.

My second question/worry is that we are trying to get our gift registries together for showers and such, but where do we tell people to send gifts. Most of the registries seem to want you to input a wedding date (LOL) and where to send gifts if people cant bring them.

Sorry I wrote so much, any help or advice is greatly appreciated. With packing and planning, and this...I am so freaking stressed and nervous. Cry

Re: More problems: location? =can't set a date and where to send gifts?

• Options
    asabug5asabug5 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey thanks so much for your post, a little reasurrance helps alot! Just out of curiousity, you mentioned your brother was in Pensacola for 18 months, was he navy, or did you say army.

Origionally, we had been expecting to be there for about what you said, 18 months, from what some of his recently-graduated/ already-in-flight school friends have told him. Im praying for that, we want to have it where we will be, it will be easier. But after talking to his dad (and I know its been some time since he was in flight school, so maybe it has changed) it sounded like we may only be there for API and primary training (the first 6-7months) and the rest somewhere else. But I know I am getting ahead of my self and over-worrying. I need to just relax and wait for official orders lol. I just reallllllly want to send my save the dates out to give people notice, and have some peace of mind.

thanks again for your post :)
  • Options
    kyrgyzstankyrgyzstan member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Most of the Marine (so Navy) pilots I know also had a fairly long stop in Mississippi as well. Either in Meridian for fixed wing or about 40 miles away for rotary. Then they got their training squadron from there. 
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • Options
    SpunkchinSpunkchin member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Why don't you guys plan for something in Pcola?  A good friend of mine went through the same kind of thing with her now husband going through weapons system officer school there. The ended up having a beach wedding and loved how it turned out.

I would think they'll send your FI to Pcola to do casual duty (do they call it that in the Navy?) before his flight school starts.

This is how it worked for us: H and I got engaged December of 2006, he went to flight training July of 2007, and graduated June 2008. (He had a friend who went through Pcola and it took him almost twice that time) We got married July 2008. We took the gamble that everything would work out and his training wouldn't get delayed (this does happen with bad weather, maintenance issues, a strike, etc.) and had a military clause added to everything. If you just don't want to deal with that kind of unknown you could do something in Pcola over a long weekend or holiday.

Now for some unsolicited advice: flight school is long and demanding. Expect your FI to be at work for 12 hours EACH day and to spend another 12 hours on the weekend studying. At least in the fighter community, this doesn't change even after training. It will feel like you're not important to him sometimes but remember it's temporary and the harder he works in training the better chance he has of getting the airframe he wants.  As long as your H is in the military his job will come first, but you can be a super close second. :)

On a postive note though, the flight community is really close so you'll be in good company and make friends who are all in the same boat. (pardon the Navy pun)
  • Options
    prttypancakeprttypancake member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My FI and I are in the same situation. He is currently doing CG flight training in Pensacola. As far as what your FFIL told you, there have been a lot of changes over the years and even in the past few weeks. Due to budget restraints some parts of training are being reduced or scaled down. As other girls on here have mentioned, it also depends significantly on what type of aircraft your FI chooses/is assigned to. I know if my FI goes fixed wing he would have to spend the last months of training in Corpus Christi. He is hoping for rotary though, so we should be staying in Pensacola. All of the different branches have been changing things up recently though. He is currently doing a training segment that is with Marines, Navy and CG so he sees the different requirements on a daily basis.
    I will be going down to Pensacola to be with him in just a few weeks, so I will try to update from personal experience when I get there.
    Also, we have decided to have a beach wedding in Pensacola Beach.

I'm so this was so long. I hope it helps!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_problems-location-cant-set-date-send-gifts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:ca165f7a-cc85-401a-a4ce-b1f18b1503a7Post:cce93d31-b848-4255-97d3-c5d98f25ad33">More problems: location? =can't set a date and where to send gifts?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My second question/worry is that we are trying to get our gift registries together for showers and such, but where do we tell people to send gifts. Most of the registries seem to want you to input a wedding date (LOL) and where to send gifts if people cant bring them. Sorry I wrote so much, any help or advice is greatly appreciated. With packing and planning, and this...I am so freaking stressed and nervous.
    Posted by asabug5[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Honestly, it might be easiest not to worry about a gift registry if you don't know where you'll be (or how the stuff will get there?) My FH is currently stationed overseas, and I'll be going with him shortly after we get married. But the military will only ship so many pounds of stuff, and that could take a long time to even get to us.  It might be easiest to just not register and hope people are smart enough to realize giving $$$ is the best for your situation.  You also don't know if you'll have a place right away, either, if you bring the stuff on your own. I know not registering for gifts isn't fun - but you'll be able to shop for the things that you'll need AND have them when you actually need them (instead of waiting for the military to ship them to you).

</div>
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My fiance is in the Army, and we had the same issue because when we were planning the wedding, we had no idea when he would be going to flight school( it worked out fine, the wedding is in Feb, we leave for flight school in Alabama in August) but that is a super short time for flight school! My fiance will have his for almost 2 years, so maybe you should check on his dates again....as far as a registry, since we'll be moving aroudn a lot after the wedding, we decided to register for our honeymoon instead of a lot of gifts....we used Sandals Resorts, but I know Marriot and some others do that as well :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards