Chit Chat
Options

Race agaisnt the hot water

My apartment is tiny. My bathroom is super tiny. So tiny in fact that I dont even have a bathtub...just a stand up shower. Oh, another thing about my tiny apartment...it comes with its very own tiny hot water tank. Everyday, my shower is a race agaisnt the hot water. If I dont shave my legs, I have plenty of hot water. But, take on the task of shaving them & 99% of the time, the hot water tank wins, leaving me with cold water for the last few minutes of my shower. Most of the time, I avoid shaving my legs because of the fact that the siz of my shower & the small hot water tank, makes it a nearly impossible task. I feel sorry for my FI because i always have hairy legs, but whatever. There has got to be an easier way!

I know I said the hot water usually always wins this race, but tonight, I claim victory! I got my hair washed & legs shaved before the hot water ran out, leaving me only with a few battle nicks. Now, to celebrate my victory I am going to help myself to some boston cream pie my mom made...bad for the wedding dress, good for the soul.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Race agaisnt the hot water

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_race-agaisnt-the-hot-water?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:af89f35c-04b1-4d8c-8ca2-7492c1f4f84dPost:041a9725-036c-479c-aaf6-d83a87366d3d">Re:Race agaisnt the hot water</a>:
    [QUOTE]Why not just shave your legs on the nights you don't wash your hair? Or shave in the morning and wash at night or vice versa?
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

Oh, Stage, your logic has no place here!

*I felt sorry for my husband before I met him. Take a number.*

• Options
    Or you could try the technique used in some countries, like Germany.  They really value saving water, so they just turn the water off when they don't need it (turn it on to wet hair, turn it off while shampooing, turn it back on to rinse hair, turn it off while washing body, etc.)

SaveSave
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Or shower first, then shave until the hot water runs out and step out of the shower to finish shaving using the sink. 

Edit: I do understand your pain, though. Our hot water runs out much faster than I would like. 
  • Options
    You could wax instead?
  • Options

Sonya...do you wax? What product do you use?
    i cant do either one in the morning because I am always so pressed for time. I like to sleep in until the last possible moment. But, the idea of shaving one day and washing my hair the next makes sense. I dont wash my hair everyday because I have naturally curly hair & because my hair stylist tells me not to wash it everyday. lol. I tried the turning on and off the water and it didnt go over well. I also tried stepping out of the shower and finishing the shaving in the sink. It works well, but then I get shaving cream EVERYWHERE.
    Thanks for advice.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Well after living in the islands I've master the art of quick showers.  It wasn't to save hot water, it was to save water.    I can shower, shave, wash and condition my hair in under 5 minutes.

how high is your hot water set?  You can set the temp up higher so you end up using less hot water.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    So I had a similar experience in my apartment. The hot water heater is tiny (about half the size of a normal one) and I could barely finish shampooing before the hot water ran out. A year after perfecting my shower routine, the hot water heater started seeping gross brown stuff.... turns out it was clogged up with a bunch of sediment that took up about half of the tank! The tank is also older than me. Maybe you should look into some of the details about the tank and see if any of those issues are going on.
    My landlords replaced it after we learned it could not be fixed. Now.... longer, hot showers every day! The hot water runs out after a while, but at least now I can get a full shower in!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_race-agaisnt-the-hot-water?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:af89f35c-04b1-4d8c-8ca2-7492c1f4f84dPost:ef01a2ef-2210-4aff-a2ce-242b4b57096b">Re: Race agaisnt the hot water</a>:
    [QUOTE]Or shower first, then shave until the hot water runs out and step out of the shower to finish shaving using the sink.  Edit: I do understand your pain, though. Our hot water runs out much faster than I would like. 
    Posted by MoonlightSilver[/QUOTE]

I do the opposite of this. I wash myself and shave in the shower, then when the hot starts to go I hop out and wash my hair in the tub with cold water (it's much too long for the sink). I don't mind cold water in my hair, but can't stand it on the rest of me. Feels like the dementors have attacked. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_race-agaisnt-the-hot-water?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:af89f35c-04b1-4d8c-8ca2-7492c1f4f84dPost:d9a14070-4aa7-46bb-8392-b5a05ffa579d">Re: Race agaisnt the hot water</a>:
    [QUOTE]So I had a similar experience in my apartment. The hot water heater is tiny (about half the size of a normal one) and I could barely finish shampooing before the hot water ran out. A year after perfecting my shower routine, the hot water heater started seeping gross brown stuff.... turns out it was clogged up with a bunch of sediment that took up about half of the tank! The tank is also older than me. Maybe you should look into some of the details about the tank and see if any of those issues are going on. My landlords replaced it after we learned it could not be fixed. Now.... longer, hot showers every day! The hot water runs out after a while, but at least now I can get a full shower in!
    Posted by krichards0527[/QUOTE]

That is a great idea. I will have to look into it. I know the apartment was in a fire once and I am pretty sure they had to completely remodel everything, but maybe they didnt replace the tank? I am going to call my landlord as soon as I leave work today and have him check it out, or atleast check the temp settings.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards