Snarky Brides
Options

Food

What are your thoughts on the cost of healthy food vs not healthy food? Do you think it is more expensive to eat healthy? 

Also, if someone stated that we as a society do not spend enough on our nutrition, what would your thoughts be about that?

Re: Food

• Options
    edited March 2012
    I think some healthy foods are expensive, but to me, consistently eating healthy is a hell of a lot cheaper in the long run.

And if someone told me they thought society didn't spend enough on their nutrition I would definitely agree. 
    panther
  • Options
    I definitely think it's more expensive to eat healthy, it is for me anyway. I'm pretty sure Anna/Rupert said that very thing, that we as a society don't spend enough on our nutrition. I would agree with that.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I think that typically yes, healthy foods cost more than non-healthy foods.  However, I recently found a small local grocery store here that only sells locally grown crops and locally raised meat, and it's significantly cheaper than purchasing the same things in a big chain grocery store.  The trade off is you don't always have variety.

And I'm not sure I'd agree that society doesn't spend enough on nutrition (becuase I don't really know what is considered "enough"), I would however agree that nutrion is not high enough on the list of priorities when it comes to each individual's to spending. Not in all cases but in a lot of cases.  Does that make sense?
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    chelseamb11chelseamb11 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited March 2012

What are your thoughts on the cost of healthy food vs not healthy food? Do you think it is more expensive to eat healthy?

I think healthy food should be much easier to buy/attain than it is. People don't look at eating healthy as the investment as they should.  I also think people ar eso afraid of fat and sugar that they'll eat a processed "fat free" or "lean" meal instead of something natural.  People should be more focused on WHAT they eat, not the calorie/fat content.  I was shocked how much people ate in France when I lived there.  They eat more than we do, yet their weights are much healthier over there (in general).  The difference is the quality of the food they eat, not the quantity.  Eating healthy sucks.  FI and I cost about $70 a week to feed.

Also, if someone stated that we as a society do not spend enough on our nutrition, what would your thoughts be about that?

I would agree wholeheartedly.

• Options
    American's spend so little on food, and I think people should probably be ok with spending more. I mean, it's a pretty important part of life. And I agree with AATB that eating well is probably cheaper in the long run. 

Eating healthy is usually more expensive, but I don't think it necessarily HAS to be. I do wish we could overhaul the agrucultural system so that it wasn't so focused on making corn and soy (an therefore most heavily processed foods) artifically cheap. 
    Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_food-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:0c64e5c4-008e-4098-bdd0-44f6ee67eec8Post:b15dc393-c6e2-4379-bf0c-92ee0424c0b5">Re: Food</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think that typically yes, healthy foods cost more than non-healthy foods.  However, <strong>I recently found a small local grocery store here that only sells locally grown crops and locally raised meat,</strong> and it's significantly cheaper than purchasing the same things in a big chain grocery store.  The trade off is you don't always have variety. And I'm not sure I'd agree that society doesn't spend enough on nutrition (becuase I don't really know what is considered "enough"), I would however agree that nutrion is not high enough on the list of priorities when it comes to each individual's to spending. Not in all cases but in a lot of cases.  Does that make sense?
    Posted by shaydenise[/QUOTE]

<div>I know what store you're talking about and that place is awesome. </div>
    Photobucket
  • Options

I do think in the rural area where I live it is more expensive to eat healthy. There aren't choices beyond chain type grocery stores and because I live in such a remote area the prices are pretty high. I think it would be less expensive if I had access to smaller stores or a farmer's market.

I think that's absolutely true. It's worth it to me to buy fresh fruits and veggies even if it's expensive. My H complimented me the other night because his co-worker's are always jealous of his leftovers and snacks because their meals aren't as high quality.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    I think it's possible to eat healthy cheaply, but most people don't have the knowledge or the time to do so.  Most meals made at home are healthier than eating fast food / pre-prepared foods, but it's easier to just grab something quick.

I'm not sure we as a society invest enough on educating people well about nutrition.  Starting with what is served in schools, where kids learn some of their eating habits.
    imageimage
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I think that the costs are probably similar, with healthy being slightly more... but it is much more difficult to eat healthy.  Fresh produce is hard to keep fresh without going to the grocery store all the time and fresh produce has to be cooked into something.  Those things take time.  

A frozen pizza keeps forever and is sooo easy to make.  
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_food-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:0c64e5c4-008e-4098-bdd0-44f6ee67eec8Post:9ff02b50-60d4-4c25-9c6b-f63ddf319286">Re: Food</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Food : I know what store you're talking about and that place is awesome. 
    Posted by RupertPenny[/QUOTE]

<div>And I cannot believe I only recently found it!</div>
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_food-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:0c64e5c4-008e-4098-bdd0-44f6ee67eec8Post:c4a1b7a2-ac47-47ed-a143-b5a4bb81c933">Re: Food</a>:
    [QUOTE]I also think that there is a misconception in the US that organic=healthy.  You can eat an organic cheeseburger, but it's still a cheeseburger.   Also it takes so much effort and time for producers to become certified organic. Some of the smaller farmers don't have the money or manpower to jump through all the hoops, yet they're still using organic farming methods.
    Posted by kodakitty[/QUOTE]

<div>I agree. I always buy local over organic if I have the choice. </div>
    Photobucket
  • Options
    NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited March 2012

I dont know if its cause ive been eating this way for many years now, but I dont find it expensive. We get deals where we can (buy some produce, yogurt, milk, eggs, etc at costco, use a rewards card at our grocery store, stuff like that) but most of the real deals and coupons seem to be geared towards the inexpensive crap that isnt good for you. I think if you are aware of fruit/vegetable seasons, know where to get good prices on meat and understand what a balanced diet is, it isnt overly expensive. It only gets outlandish when you get picky regarding the quality of that food (cuts of meat, organic produce). 

A woman in my office (who eats fast food a LOT, though they make a lot of money) was complaining that eating healthy costs too much money and I just nodded rather than argue but I really dont agree at all. It also depends on what you consider a lot of money I suppose too.

I do agree that we do not spend enough. We shouldnt be looking for the lowest price food, we should be looking for the best quality food. I think its sad that we are geared towards saving money instead of getting value.

• Options
    S/O...  On the subject of locally grown, that is really challenging up here in the tundra.  There really isn't jack available for locally grown stuff in the winter months.  
  • Options
    Cheap, healthy, quick- you only get two ;)

Living somewhere that doesn't have a ton of fresh fruits/veggies year-round, it is definitely more expensive to eat healthy.  We try to eat as much fresh local produce in the summer/fall. But unfortunately it's just not possible in the winter/spring, so we have to pay more.  I mean, a dozen apples runs around $15 right now. bah.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_food-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:0c64e5c4-008e-4098-bdd0-44f6ee67eec8Post:e57ed47a-f68c-43b6-8700-b53fa7cdfa3a">Re: Food</a>:
    [QUOTE]S/O...  On the subject of locally grown, that is really challenging up here in the tundra.  There really isn't jack available for locally grown stuff in the winter months.  
    Posted by Wiscisbliss[/QUOTE]

jinx. ;)

Although. H and I have discovered that we can get good produce on the CHEAP from the Asian markets near us. random.
  • Options
    NebbNebb member
    Also, I dont buy that it takes longer to make a healthy meal. My husband and I generally have a meat/veg/starch dinner and it rarely takes more than 20 minutes to cook it.
  • Options
    I think with some exceptions it is more expensive to eat healthier. Geography and urban versus rural location and underlying income often plays a large factor. I have worked on studies that looked at the costs associated with fresh foods in different incomes and there is a huge difference. The poverty level of an area is strongly associated with the price of food where the poorer the neighborhood the more expensive food was. 

If transportation is an issue and you're shopping at an overpriced corner market versus Wal Mart you will not only pay more you will also have way fewer fresh options. Most of those places will only have canned or (possibly) frozen vegetables, highly processed foods breads/sides, and meats that are well preserved like hot dogs versus chicken breast.

Apparently there are some stores here where the food is behind bullet proof glass and the clerk has to get everything for you. This isn't relevant really, but it was interesting to me. 

I think you also have to factor in the time associated costs with cooking healthier, since in a lot of ways time is money. Just because that microwavable meal you're eating came from Whole Foods doesn't mean it's healthy. It's still has preservatives, is highly processed, and of questionable nutritional value. It does take more time to cook fresh, unprocessed meals rather than throweing that delicious frozen risotto from Trader Joe's into a pan. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Fast food isn't really cheap either, though. I mean, it's quick and easy, but it's not cheap. H and I decided to just get McDonald's last night. It was like $13. I easily could've made a real meal for that price and had leftovers too!
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Yeah, I started focusing on local last fall and I did start having to go back to the grocery store by Christmas. I also ate a lot of of root vegetables and greens because that's what was available. I'm hoping that this summer I can freeze a bunch of stuff for next winter. 
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Asian markets?  Interesting.  There are a few in town here, I might have to check that out.  

The seasonal produce thing is super annoying.  We buy a ton of our veggies frozen since that seems to be more cost effective and just as healthy for you... plus I don't have to worry about the spoiling so fast.
  • Options
    pirategal03pirategal03 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited March 2012
    I think it depends on how you measure it.

Ingredients for a hamburger helper dinner, for example, are going to be less expensive than ingredients for a spinach salad with shrimp.  There's no denying which one is healthier.  On a per-meal basis, healthier eating is more expensive.

But...I think once you look at it as a whole food budget, it switches.  Our food budget as a whole has gone down since H and I have committed to eating healthier meals at home.  We're eating better for us foods, we're buying organics, we shop at a farmers market, we pay $4 for a dozen eggs.  But even with all that, the amount we spend on groceries each month is lower by over $100/month. 
  • Options
    NebbNebb member
    I tried doing the 100 mile diet once, and it was balls. I started it in the winter and I was SO sick of potatoes, peppers, carrots and apples. If you plan ahead though you can freeze a lot of the fresh local produce you buy for future months. I did that 3 years ago and it worked out really well, i just blanched everything and bagged it. I have a lead on local farms that sell whole pigs/cows though and I am considering getting one next year as well as doing the CSA run by the woman I buy my heirloom plants from. We have a LOT of local resources it just takes a while to find them.
  • Options
    Have you seen the documentary Food Inc.?  There is a scene in there where they send a family to a grocery store and then to a burger king and compare how much food they could get for x amount of dollars at each.  They got way more food at burger king and I think that this is such a sad fact. And based on my own experience food shopping, I do believe it is more expensive to get fresh fruit, vegetables, etc. than it is to eat fast food or pre-packaged food.  And I really think there is something wrong with that.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I agree, Nebb.  If you're cooking, you're cooking. Now yes, throwing a frozen pizza in the oven takes no time at all, but what I mean is, if you're cooking a full meal of meat/veggie/starch it doesn't take any more time to make a healthy version than it does to make a non-healthy one.  At least in my expereince.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_food-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:0c64e5c4-008e-4098-bdd0-44f6ee67eec8Post:1746ed0a-0c35-4df1-9fbe-c6e57183654d">Re: Food</a>:
    [QUOTE]I tried doing the 100 mile diet once, and it was balls. I started it in the winter and I was SO sick of potatoes, peppers, carrots and apples. If you plan ahead though you can freeze a lot of the fresh local produce you buy for future months. I did that 3 years ago and it worked out really well, i just blanched everything and bagged it. I have a lead on local farms that sell whole pigs/cows though and I am considering getting one next year as well as doing the CSA run by the woman I buy my heirloom plants from. <strong>We have a LOT of local resources it just takes a while to find them.</strong>
    Posted by Nebb[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>We have a lot too, and I agree, they can be hard to find. The crunchy farms and CSAs don't seem to be awesome at internet marketing (which is understandable, they are usually small businesses). I have spent a lot of time looking for the best sources in my area, but I know not everyone has the time/desire to do that. 

</div>
    Photobucket
  • Options
    NebbNebb member
    edited March 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_food-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:0c64e5c4-008e-4098-bdd0-44f6ee67eec8Post:16024d64-81e2-469c-8d87-0de51f054133">Re: Food</a>:
    [QUOTE]Have you seen the documentary Food Inc.?  There is a scene in there where they send a family to a grocery store and then to a burger king and compare how much food they could get for x amount of dollars at each.  They got way more food at burger king and I think that this is such a sad fact. And based on my own experience food shopping, I do believe it is more expensive to get fresh fruit, vegetables, etc. than it is to eat fast food or pre-packaged food.  And I really think there is something wrong with that.
    Posted by calixtine[/QUOTE]
    I saw that, I thought that whole program was sort of horrifying. thats not right. A lot of food/grocery statistics really irritate me, like how so much food is just thrown out because it doesnt meat appearance standards. Thats messed up.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Eating healthier definitely costs more. I buy frozen veggies because its just that much cheaper - plus we have time to go shopping once every two weeks (if we're lucky - sometimes I have to cook what's left for another two).

One single green pepper can set you back $5 sometimes. It's ridiculous, when you can buy four large pizzas for $10.

I try my very best, cooking as many veggies in as I think he'll eat. He has a big appetite... so he's usually still hungry on what I've given him (after I've barely eaten to make sure he has enough) and he goes foraging for something else. Usually pop tarts or whatever else snack he's got sitting around for himself, I don't touch the stuff.

It sucks, but right now, we can't afford to feed both of us properly... so, he gets the bulk.
  • Options
    NebbNebb member
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_food-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:0c64e5c4-008e-4098-bdd0-44f6ee67eec8Post:6e6fcdcb-3353-4ae5-acf1-48f2f4df25c9">Re: Food</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Food : We have a lot too, and I agree, they can be hard to find. The crunchy farms and CSAs don't seem to be awesome at internet marketing (which is understandable, they are usually small businesses). I have spent a lot of time looking for the best sources in my area, but I know not everyone has the time/desire to do that. 
    Posted by RupertPenny[/QUOTE]
    When the show of the 100 mile diet, foodnetwork.ca had a site for them that if you pluggedin your postal code, it would show you within 100 miles the different vendors you would need (meat, dairy, produce, etc) and it was such an amazing tool. I have no idea if something else like it exists but I had no idea how much was available in my area until then. 
  • Options
    pirategal03pirategal03 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited March 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_food-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:0c64e5c4-008e-4098-bdd0-44f6ee67eec8Post:c4a1b7a2-ac47-47ed-a143-b5a4bb81c933">Re: Food</a>:
    [QUOTE]I also think that there is a misconception in the US that organic=healthy.  You can eat an organic cheeseburger, but it's still a cheeseburger.   Also it takes so much effort and time for producers to become certified organic. Some of the smaller farmers don't have the money or manpower to jump through all the hoops, yet they're still using organic farming methods.
    Posted by kodakitty[/QUOTE]

Amen.
  • Options
    RailWayWifeRailWayWife member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited March 2012
    Its a lot more expensive to eat healthy here. Vegitables are pricey and anything organic is out of this world expensive. There is no way I am going to pay $3 for a peach. No way.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards