Snarky Brides
Options

when is too much too much?

So when I was a kid I remember when they said 'bitch' for the first time on prime time tv, I think it was on Rosanne.

I am watching Much Music (think MTV) and they just played the extended version of Lady Gaga's Telephone video...and the word 'motherfucker' was not bleeped out one time...it wasn't even 8pm when it played...that seems a little too much to me, considering what age of kids are up watching tv with little to no supervsion...

So do you care what language is used on TV or not? What about visuals? (Let's just say there are parts of the video where Gaga is wearing very very little...think full breast with electrical tape on her nipples)...

Re: when is too much too much?

• Options
    You mean not the part where she flashes her (admittedly censored) vag?

I'm indifferent to words. They're just words. When I do have kids I will attempt to convey to them that cursing is unnecessary when there are so many more delightful ways to insult someone, but I am indifferent to the words themselves.
  • Options
    Love your sig pic number.

I think that's too much. I do feel that it's up to parents to monitor what they're kids are watching and shouldn't let them watch that. So in theory anything should be allowed on TV and it should be up to the parents to regulate. However that  doesn't necessarily happen and the kids that aren't being monitored don't need a half naked woman saying motherfucker. I mean they bleep it out on the radio - I'm quite surprised they didn't on TV.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I'm so desensitized to "bad" words (expect cvnt) that it wouldn't even phase me. I'll be the worst parent ever.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_much-much?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:4739d71b-31a8-48b4-b722-792ad0510fefPost:481f8d61-4af0-448a-ae36-77eaa53b54b8">Re: when is too much too much?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't care that much about the words, because kids are saying them anyway 
    Posted by Seshat411[/QUOTE]

<div>But see, when I was a kid, I knew I wasn't SUPPOSED to swear. I knew it was rude, inappropriate and certainly not meant for all situations (ie: in class, in front of parents, etc...). Now I feel like kids don't get that, they just swear and don't give a shiite...(ha ha ha!).</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
  • Options
    Absolutely Nebb. You can't even blame the kids really - it's the satellite parenting and using the TV as a babysitter and then not monitoring what they watch. Paired with the fact that there's trash on TV - not a good combo.

Don't get me wrong I am a TV fan and completely understand when kids get tv time (especially for tired parents) but the parents should be there with the kids watching with them and watching what they watch.

I have no patience for bad parents.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    You're welcome Number :-)

And I completely agree - I knew the swear words I just knew I shouldn't say them because I was taught. Plus I watched things like Full House and Home Improvement where the worst thing they said was "How Rude"
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I didn't even know what the B-word was until I was 11.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_much-much?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:4739d71b-31a8-48b4-b722-792ad0510fefPost:2664672f-451c-4ff4-bd2d-52d35a90959f">Re: when is too much too much?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I didn't even know what the B-word was until I was 11.
    Posted by Anysunrise[/QUOTE]

<div>let me explain where I am coming from: when I taught grade 4 (9 - 10 year olds) 4 years ago the kids watched Family Guy and South Park. I can guarantee you they know the word bitch and many many more words.  </div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_much-much?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:4739d71b-31a8-48b4-b722-792ad0510fefPost:6cf5c82d-abbb-40d6-a098-53ecca94a52b">Re: when is too much too much?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: when is too much too much? : let me explain where I am coming from: when I taught grade 4 (9 - 10 year olds) 4 years ago the kids watched Family Guy and South Park. I can guarantee you they know the word bitch and many many more words.  
    Posted by number55[/QUOTE]

<div>Yeah, I was agreeing with you in a roundabout way. We didn't have any of that, so I had no idea what most things were until like 6th grade onward at least. </div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_much-much?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:4739d71b-31a8-48b4-b722-792ad0510fefPost:34fb3ab5-c9ad-4194-8b0c-b2baae8a4fd1">Re: when is too much too much?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: when is too much too much? : Funny story...grade 5, I heard 'bull crab' used as a term on the play ground. Got into an argument with my mom, used the term...(obviously I had misheard bull crap)...when she got mad at me I was all like..."what did I say? I named two animals, why is it a big deal?"...she never believed me that I didn't say 'crap'...I wasn't even cool enough to swear (as if that is a swear) properly...
    Posted by number55[/QUOTE]

That's pretty awesome.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_much-much?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:4739d71b-31a8-48b4-b722-792ad0510fefPost:980d46bd-bf1a-488e-bad2-e99c6bb5c0f4">Re: when is too much too much?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: when is too much too much? : That's pretty awesome.
    Posted by pixiedust84[/QUOTE]

<div>It wasn't until adulthood that I learned to embrace the fact that I am not cool at all...and now I am fine with it.</div>
  • Options
    I think when you're an adult it's way better not to be cool. I totally embrace my uncool status now too :-)
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Heh bull crab...our kids latest thing is "puck you" or "she's an itch". It makes me glad I'm staff and not a teacher because I just hear it in the hallways and not the classroom.
  • Options
    I monitor everything my kid watches.I am very bothered by the stuff shown in those videos. See can't watch anything in the house that is over pg13. She hates it. I'm sure she watches some stuff online, but I always tell her that the way those people dress, talk, and act in videos and on TV is not normal and she should not act like that.
    20130105_202820-1_zps07580b43 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    PUCK YOU MISS!

If you have nothing better to do...go on youtube and look up 'Summer Heights High'...Australian 'highschool' comedy show...funniest stuff ever...

• Options
    I agree parents should be responsible for their own kids, to some extent. There should be some sort of threshhold of what's unacceptable, not that I know where it should be, but whatever it is, pretty sure we've gone far past it. It also just annoys me, even as an adult, when programs have graphic stuff that's really irrelevant to the story.

My parents were very strict with what I watched when I was growing up. I wasn't allowed to watch anything (in/out of the house) they didn't OK (which made sleepevers annoying). One thing I didn't really appreciate at the time though, was that they tried not to watch anything they wouldn't let us watch, so it worked out that most of what we watched, we watched as a family.

• Options
    o.k. I have to admit, growing up with a german grandmother (& all of her german parties, with all of her german friends) I picked up early on "bad words".

Although, they seemed to believe that a word like "a$$" was a fine word to use, you just could never say GD or use the word directed at someone.. I got spanked a few times for using bad words, but now my little 8 year old cousin cusses more than I do!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I had my mouth washed out with soap and was forced to sit on the step (my family's version of time out) when I called my sister a butt head when I was like, 6.

I swear like a sailor so this is pretty hypocritical but the language on TV really bothers me; and the visuals, don't even get me started. When I saw Forgetting Sarah Marshall and got an eyeful of whatshisface's junk I about died. When did it become okay to show those things?? I'm constantly scared for my future children (who will have restricted online and TV access).
  • Options
    I'm not as concerned with what's on TV as I am with how f'ing stupid what's on TV is these days.  Most of the shows cater to the lowest common denominator and that in itself is a moving target from one season to the next.  Prime time tv is mostly the absolute dumbest things these days, and people seem to be entertained by that.  Dumb asses reproduce faster, so it's only a matter of time before we reach critical mass.

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• Options
    In Response to Re: when is too much too much?:
    [QUOTE]I think the problem is that kids arent taught respect and when that goes hand in hand with free reign over swear words, they turn into little shiits. I remember when I was younger and if an older person said something in a reprimanding tone to me I knew my place. Now, kids just tell them to fuckk off and then act like even worse little shiits. Sure kids would still know the word but there was a taboo aspect to them when you didnt hear them all the time and knew they were not allowed. That isnt really a concept now.
    Posted by Nebb[/QUOTE]

100% agree.

I think a lot of times (not all) it's because parents are too lazy to actually parent, or they want to be friends with their kids instead of parents.

I'm 36 years old and still will not curse in front of my parents out of respect.
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards