Snarky Brides
Options

The Cove?

Did anyone see this? 

I am disgusted.
045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
BabyFruit Ticker
DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!

Re: The Cove?

• Options
    Uh oh. 

I have no idea what you're talking about but I'm definitely intrigued... I did a little googling, are you talking about the movie?
    panther
  • Options
    OH.  MY.  GOD.

I watched the two minute video on the website. 

My heart is breaking and I feel physically sick.  WOW.
    panther
  • Options
    Its a documentary about Japans annual dolphin slaughter.  Its so vile.  Its 1000X worse than whale wars.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I've actually heard of this before but I find it kinda cool that people are getting the word out about it.

ETA - read: for awareness.  Because this cannot go on.
    panther
  • Options
    Omg, I can't watch it. W(hy)TF do they slaughter dolphins?  It's just a ritualistic thing?  This makes my heart hurt. 
  • Options
    Blueyed228Blueyed228 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited August 2010

I have just lost every ounce of respect for that country (its government).  Their lack of humanity is revolting.  Between the whales and dolphins, it makes me sick.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cove?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:65733d6e-6ddc-4072-84a4-333d329ee36cPost:0c5295bd-5d3c-47ac-9655-438d1c189240">Re: The Cove?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Omg, I can't watch it. W(hy)TF do they slaughter dolphins?  It's just a ritualistic thing?  This makes my heart hurt. 
    Posted by npasquale16[/QUOTE]

The same reason they slaughter the whales every year.  For the meat.  Its a very lucrative product for them.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I saw some dolphins when I was in Cali this summer - they came right up to the coast and were body surfing with other swimmers right on the beach. 

They are just the coolest things ever.  I can't imagine people actually doing this?  It's like they have no souls.
    panther
  • Options
    Oh, no.  See, this is my issue with meat in general.  I eat meat.  I like it.  I feel a little more guilty when it is a cute animal, which I know is dumb. And I definitely cannot deal with cruelty.  If the animal is killed with compassion (I know, that sounds ridiculous, but you KWIM) and it's not just discarded or hunted for sport, I can deal.  I cannot deal with cruelty. 
  • Options
    Blueyed228Blueyed228 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited August 2010
    They also set their own quota every year of how many they can kill for "research".  Its over 1000 whales and lord knows how many dolphins.  After the "research" is done, the meat can be processed and sold on the open market.

They govern themselves with the IWC (international whaling commission), and recruit smaller countries in their oceans.

ETA: They even allow themselves to kill endangered species.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Man.  I knew about the whale meat, but I didn't know about this.  I just feel so bad about the state of humanity in general sometimes. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cove?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:65733d6e-6ddc-4072-84a4-333d329ee36cPost:e233f63b-2e6e-4e42-b449-e3ae43428d91">Re: The Cove?</a>:
    [QUOTE]They also set their own quota every year of how many they can kill for "research".  Its over 1000 whales and lord knows how many dolphins.  After the "research" is done, the meat can be processed and sold on the open market. They govern themselves with the IWC (international whaling commission), and recruit smaller countries in their oceans. ETA: <strong>They even allow themselves to kill endangered species.</strong>
    Posted by Blueyed228[/QUOTE]

That makes my blood boil.
    panther
  • Options
    I haven't seen it yet (it's been in my Netflix for a while now) but I watched an hour long special on Animal Planet, and I've seen interviews with the main guy before.  As horrible as everything is, I will say that guy could present himself a little better.  Acting like a twat on MSNBC doesn't help your cause, kwim?
  • Options
    Kim- yes.  He isnt the best representation of the cause, thats for sure.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    So he's obnoxious in the movie too?  Shiit.
  • Options
    I think you and I saw the same thing.  What i saw was on TV.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    No, I can't watch animals get killed, even when they get fake killed in movies.
  • Options

Playing devil's advocate here, but I have met many a Hindu friend who thinks that America is the devil because of our widespread slaughter of cows, along with all of the animals we regularly kill, both humanely and inhumanely.

My heart goes out for whales and dolphins though. They are incredible creatures and should be protected.

• Options
    I watched something on Animal Planet about this the other night.  I couldn't believe that the government is covering up the fact that they are slaughtering dolphins.
  • Options
    There's no way I can watch it, it will break my heart. I've seen the previews for it and I just can't bring myself to watch anymore.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cove?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:65733d6e-6ddc-4072-84a4-333d329ee36cPost:53af652a-f78c-45e5-90ec-085ec0a01513">Re: The Cove?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Playing devil's advocate here, but I have met many a Hindu friend who thinks that America is the devil because of our widespread slaughter of cows, along with all of the animals we regularly kill, both humanely and inhumanely. My heart goes out for whales and dolphins though. They are incredible creatures and should be protected.
    Posted by katiewhompus[/QUOTE]

Tis true.  In some countries or cultures, cows are sacred animals.

But yeah, dolphins and whales have always had a special place in my heart.  It makes me sick that this is going on.
    panther
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cove?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:65733d6e-6ddc-4072-84a4-333d329ee36cPost:a4358f33-a3b7-4fa6-8e7d-b63715e371a2">Re: The Cove?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Cove? : Tis true.  In some countries or cultures, cows are sacred animals. <strong>But yeah, dolphins and whales have always had a special place in my heart.</strong>  It makes me sick that this is going on.
    Posted by AllAboutTheBenjamin[/QUOTE]

Me too, dolphins are my favorite animal. Side note: In 1st grade we all had to write a book about an animal and I chose a dolphin but so did my BFF so my teacher made me write a book about a Beluga. It just wasn't the same and I was so mad at my BFF.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cove?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:65733d6e-6ddc-4072-84a4-333d329ee36cPost:a4358f33-a3b7-4fa6-8e7d-b63715e371a2">Re: The Cove?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Cove? : Tis true.  In some countries or cultures, cows are sacred animals. But yeah, dolphins and whales have always had a special place in my heart.  It makes me sick that this is going on.
    Posted by AllAboutTheBenjamin[/QUOTE]

Me too, it's just one of those "makes you think" type things. Yes it's horrible that anything dies, but it's not like Japan is the only country that regulates animal death or condones it, so I can't feel like we can point fingers just because the animal they chose is one we have an affection for.

That being said, I haven't seen the film or read that much about it (oh look, guess what just came on the tv? A series about this). If we are talking very limited populations to where extinction, even at a local level is a problem then it's a different story.
  • Options
    And it's not like it's the entire country either - it's just that one small area, and a few people that do it.

There are plenty of isolated groups of people all over the world, America included, who do terrible things to animals that really isn't justified at all.  And that's the wrong thing.
    panther
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cove?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:65733d6e-6ddc-4072-84a4-333d329ee36cPost:35ceda74-7bdc-4af3-9c36-21e615bbbaa3">Re: The Cove?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Cove? : Exactly. Like bullfighting in Spain. It's a huge part of their culture, and it makes me sick just thinking about it. My FI went to one when he was there and said he completely regretted it. But I don't think all Spaniards are horrible animal-haters either.
    Posted by cfaszews25[/QUOTE]

That's a really, really good example, too.

Sometimes you hear about some bull fighter getting his ass handed to him... I always think, well?  Duh.  It's an angry, bullied and enraged animal.  No sympathy from me.

I met a guy once who ran with the bulls in Spain though.  ...Although he could have been full of shiit.
    panther
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cove?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:65733d6e-6ddc-4072-84a4-333d329ee36cPost:c4a2862c-a63f-43bf-b7ed-653b39ccadc0">Re: The Cove?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Cove? : <strong>At least the Japanese intend on eating the dolphins they kill.</strong>Bull-fighting is just an hour of watching an animal be tormented and mutilated until it's eventually killed for sport. ... Yay? Though in some cases, apparently, if the bull fights exceptionally well, they let it leave and be a breeder.

I dont have a problem with them killing the animals for food.  Its HOW they do it.  They also want to use the meat for the school systems even though the meat is full of mercury.  The government is denying the mercury levels, and lying about how the animal is killed.  They say that the spine is severed and they die instantly, when its clear that they are just gathered with nets and stabbed to death.

There is nothing humane about it.  I dont agree with the bull fighting either.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Yeah they way they are killed is just sad.  Lured and trapped into a little bay and then gutted - it's just wrong.  Not okay.
    panther
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cove?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:65733d6e-6ddc-4072-84a4-333d329ee36cPost:021b64c6-2722-487c-b282-b2bda5c4a08a">Re: The Cove?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Cove? : You lost respect for a country based off of one film? Methinks you need to do a bit more research. NOT SAYING that killing dolphins is good. Before someone yells that I hate dolphins. Who could hate dolphins? Even if they are just gay sharks...

Yes.  For their government I have lost all respect.  What more research would you like me to do?

They slaughter the animals, lie about it to the world, try to cover it up, allow the meat filled with mercury to be sold in the open marked, and push for the meat to be given away in school lunches (which are mandatory and plates must be cleaned).

Same with the whales.

I think you are the one who should do a bit more research.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards