Snarky Brides
Options

What companies do you boycott?

Re: What companies do you boycott?

• Options
    According to this test, I'm only 52% hippie.  According to another test on the same site, I'm 79% hippie.  So I guess on average I'm about 66% hippie?  
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    "Halloween may have loose women scantily clad...
    But Christmas has a pregnant virgin.

Way cooler." - anna.oskar
  • Options
    dmil - im surprised youre not like a negative % hippie lol
  • Options
    Don't belittle my internet-search capabilities, Mel!

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_companies-boycott?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:eb817f05-45b7-4a6f-9cb7-4a538a32f14ePost:3f8bcb54-3e94-47af-9a1b-40ddbe0c1c42">Re: What companies do you boycott?</a>:
    [QUOTE]According to this test, I'm only 52% hippie.  According to another test on the same site, I'm 79% hippie.  So I guess on average I'm about 66% hippie?  
    Posted by adamar15[/QUOTE]

It said I'm 57% hippie. I question the legitimacy of your non glittery quiz.
  • Options
    adamar15adamar15 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's legit, Mel.  Otherwise it wouldn't be on the internet, sans glitter.

• Options
    I got 61% but some of those answers kind of sucked.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_companies-boycott?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:eb817f05-45b7-4a6f-9cb7-4a538a32f14ePost:59e101b9-9e3f-475f-887a-f992fbf89491">Re: What companies do you boycott?</a>:
    [QUOTE]dmil - im surprised youre not like a negative % hippie lol
    Posted by Nebb[/QUOTE]
    I'm kind of surprised, too. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_companies-boycott?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:eb817f05-45b7-4a6f-9cb7-4a538a32f14ePost:e8e03ffd-df1e-4369-8101-11017f57fce4">Re: What companies do you boycott?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I got 61% but some of those answers kind of sucked.
    Posted by kimheartsscott[/QUOTE]

Me too! And I agree that some of the answers sucked.

ETA: I actually think it would be cool put together a real, serious quiz, that uses actual data about environmental/social cost of behavior or product use. I'm gonna make my husband do it.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_companies-boycott?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:eb817f05-45b7-4a6f-9cb7-4a538a32f14ePost:5242ba6f-cd63-4f18-9271-829e47eead85">Re: What companies do you boycott?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What companies do you boycott? : I have never once had an order get to me in a reasonable time frame. Three years in a row I've ordered Christmas presents in November and received them after Feb. I ordered silk rose petals for our wedding 3 weeks before and paid for 2 day shipping, they came like a month or so after the wedding. I've also not had luck with their customer service when I've ranted about how my crap never gets delivered. I think Amazon hates me because everyone else raves about how great they are. 
    Posted by dmiller9274[/QUOTE]

Wow. I've had the COMPLETE opposite effect with Amazon. They usually quote me 2 week delivary time - and I get it a week later. I've never had anything take more than a week to get to me - and I've bought A LOT there.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_companies-boycott?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:eb817f05-45b7-4a6f-9cb7-4a538a32f14ePost:e30db990-2fd4-41ed-9b13-e897630b15b3">Re: What companies do you boycott?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What companies do you boycott? : Me too! And I agree that some of the answers sucked. ETA: I actually think it would be cool put together a real, serious quiz, that uses actual data about environmental/social cost of behavior or product use. I'm gonna make my husband do it.
    Posted by arwo[/QUOTE]
    DO IT!! that will be awesome!
  • Options
    I'm 13% hippie.  I'm pretty sure that's just because I prefer milk straight from the farm, and like tattoos/piercings.

Seriously though, I am real into conservation and recycling and shiit.
  • Options
    I ditto chick-fil-and the salvation army. I agree with Arwo about urban outfitters too. They target a market that, I think, would be upset about their practices if they knew about them.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Son of a B.  My husband must be right.

• Options
    I got 1% hippy.

I boycott Sony because of quite a few bad experiences with them and their customer service.

Starbucks because they dont support the troops.

American Apparel, Gap, Barnes and Noble etc because they are just so liberal and full of hippys I cant stand being there.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • Options
    I always feel a little dirty after looking at the american apparel website.
  • Options
    We have never been big Lowes people anyway, even though its closer to my house, because my cousin has worked for HD for almost 20 years and we choose to support her place of employment. My first choice for home improvement, though, is the little independent hardware store a block away from us. There is a TON of stuff in that tiny store. There may only be one of each thing, and not a lot of brand diversity, but if you need it most likely you can find it there. THe whole Lowes advertisement thing is just icing on that hate cake. 

I don't consciously boycott Walmart, but I don't shop there because I like Target better. 
    We prefer locally owned restaurants to chains, hands down.

I don't think there is any industry where I see labor unions as a must. I prefer a free labor market. However, I don't really deal with unions so I have no idea what places are unionized and which aren't. 

My sister and BIL have sworn off Amazon, but I can't. I love them. I am milking my free year of prime for all its worth. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Question about Starbucks? This is because they didn't send coffee to the troops or something?

http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/starbucks.asp

and

http://www.herotohero.us/OperationCaffeination.html

I hate Wal-Mart too, but if I didn't shop there, I'd be in trouble. Darn Target being so far away!

I don't know who I boycott, I'm like Nebb. I don't pay much attention.
  • Options
    Lowes, for sure. Luckily I don't have some of those other stores near me like cracker barrel to have to boycott lol. I love going to wal mart. It's the only place in the world where I can be in the same room as other people and feel superior to all of them. ;)
  • Options
    I don't boycott anything but if I knew a product was tested on animals, I would not buy it. Other than that, I don't boycott. If I need something somewhere, I just go buy it.
  • Options
    I refuse to go to Walmart.  My mom stopped by there once to get some jeans and I waited in the car because I will not go into a Walmart.  Nor an Aldi.  They are both depressing as f*ck to me.

If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on the cat. image

• Options
    I will not buy products or shop at stores when I know they test on animals. I boycott Walmart, Chick-fil-A, Applebees (just because their food sucks), and I will now be boycotting Starbucks for not supporting the troops.

I definitely try to buy local and I avoid restaurant chains to eat at mom and pop places. One of my goals next year is to buy every birthday/anniversary/Christmas/etc present from a local business. I'd love to start doing that every year.

Oh, and that quiz says I'm 50% hippie.
    Planning/Project Fit

Photobucket
    "Sounds of laughter shades of earth are ringing through my open ears inciting and inviting me"
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_companies-boycott?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:eb817f05-45b7-4a6f-9cb7-4a538a32f14ePost:6809042b-4eba-4b49-aabc-c9297f4a9e96">Re: What companies do you boycott?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I got 1% hippy. I boycott Sony because of quite a few bad experiences with them and their customer service. Starbucks because they dont support the troops. <strong>American Apparel, Gap, Barnes and Noble etc because they are just so liberal and full of hippys I cant stand being there.
    </strong>Posted by Blueyed228[/QUOTE]

What is the etc? Also, when you say full of hippies.. is it the strong smell of patchouli and pot that gets you? Or did you mean hipsters. I could see hipsters.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've boycotted the Mars company, makers of m&ms and such, over their animal testing. I also boycott procter & gamble for the same thing which is much MUCH harder to do than simply not buying candy. P&g is everywhere. I'm also a vegetarian so I guess meat products and any animal skin. ETA: I also only got 40% on the hippie test, but I think they're answers are a little weird.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    56% hippy..sounds about right. I boycott Lowes, Starbucks and a few others..there is actually a list out there of all the companies that pulled ads from All American Muslim...I was a little shocked at the companies on it..I hate Apple, but I think that either a love or hate relationship.  I try not to shop at Walmart...not a lot of Mom and Pop's left around here. 
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    ....wait, so B&N is full of hippies?  Because I used to spend copious amounts of time in my local B&N and I never noticed any drum circles or anything.

If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on the cat. image

• Options
    fcking literate free loaders. ALL OF THEM
  • Options
    One more joke and I am done.

OCCUPY THIS ASSSHOLES
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I won't go to Wal-Mart. I read that the Walton family only gives to charities because they have to and it makes them look good. Since then, I can't stand them.

I don't buy BP gasoline or Sunoco.

I'm getting rid of my dentist because he made me mad and didn't listen to me. Why do they ask you opened ended questions with stuff in your mouth? Really?

There are some local restaurants that I refuse to go to.

I bank through a community bank. There's only 6 of them in the Cincinnati area. Take that big banking world!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_companies-boycott?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:eb817f05-45b7-4a6f-9cb7-4a538a32f14ePost:0920c9c3-c071-44fe-aefb-a23edcd02553">Re: What companies do you boycott?</a>:
    [QUOTE]....wait, so B&N is full of hippies?  Because I used to spend copious amounts of time in my local B&N and I never noticed any drum circles or anything.
    Posted by NuggetBrain[/QUOTE]

Lol, yes!  The one near my house is.  The have a damn starbucks INSIDE the Barnes and Nobles.  The sit around drinking their hippy coffee reading their hippy books and having the most pretentious conversations.  I drives me bonkers being in there.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • Options
    allisong23allisong23 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_companies-boycott?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:eb817f05-45b7-4a6f-9cb7-4a538a32f14ePost:318e7d39-0a50-4891-8e5d-e269c2cef621">Re: What companies do you boycott?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Arwo- I think it might be more of a personal modesty thing less than a feed your child thing. I csnnot imagine letting the girls out anywhere except in front of FI. Again - no children, so my opinion might be a bit skewed by lack of experience.
    Posted by bbuckner984[/QUOTE]

Trust me, you can nurse without letting the world see. When I am nursing, you would have to be very close and trying to see my boob. I wear a nursing tank with at least one layer of clothes over it.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards