Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Buffet vs. Food Stations vs. Plated

Hello!

I was wondering about people's experiences with these different systems. As for cost, this is what I have heard: Buffet would require less servers, but need more table rentals.  Food stations also need only a few servers, but can be way more expensive per person due to the quantity of food.  Plated menus need way more servers and a kitchen person, which can also be expensive.

What are you experiences with food quality and atmosphere with these options? Buffets seem to be the cheaper way to go, but can they be done nicely?  Food stations provide more mingling and options for the guests, but can be expensive.  Are they worth it? Plated menus are fancy, and expensive. Again, worth it?

I guess I'm really debating between buffet and food stations, because I like the idea of people getting up and mingling.  Thoughts on how this worked for your weddings?
Two Drifters Off To See The World...

Re: Buffet vs. Food Stations vs. Plated

• Options
    utegogglesutegoggles member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are doing budget because of who we have catering and because of budget. Our extra tables are free because they come with the venue.

Sit down food with servers will cost more regardless. Not as much mingling.

• Options
    courtchacecourtchace member
    edited December 2011
    In my opinion, I prefer plated but I think thats because most of the buffet food I have had at wedding has been cold or just blah. Although plated food can be just as blah or cold if you dont have a good caterer. I guess my gripe against buffet is having to get up and go stand in a line for food. If I were to choose between buffet and stations, I would go with the stations.
  • Options
    RebeccaB88RebeccaB88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011

I have never (read: NEVER) had a good experience with plated meals at events.  I hate them with a passion, so I'd always choose a buffet or stations.  I don't mind getting up and getting my own food because I can pick and choose what I want that way, and I won't go hungry like I usually do with a plated meal.  I even stopped at a drive-thru on my way home from my sister's wedding because I was so hungry (plated meal, fancy club... and just BAD). 

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I prefer plated-- not a big fan of buffets and I think it's nicer. I don't think lack of mingling is an issue because people pretty much sit down in one place to eat anyway, and they get to mingle during the cocktail hour and dancing. Think about budget, feel, number of people (buffets with a ton of guests are slow) and venue layout. I especially didn't want a buffet because where they set it up was far from the actual tables, but that's not a problem everywhere.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    sparent2010sparent2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_buffet-vs-food-stations-vs-plated?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:1e76c544-4df7-42b1-9f0e-6dffb282e439Post:b65df490-b756-4815-97b1-0a4a140227f5">Re: Buffet vs. Food Stations vs. Plated</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are doing budget because of who we have catering and because of budget. Our extra tables are free because they come with the venue. Sit down food with servers will cost more regardless. Not as much mingling.
    Posted by stefwhitney[/QUOTE]

<div>Do you mean buffet? </div><div>
    </div><div>We are doing a buffet but not b/c of cost (price is the same for servers or no servers) we just like the choices. </div>
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    BinxRoseBinxRose member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are doing buffet because it's cheaper. But another option is "family style." Each table is given large quantity of foods like you would see at your own family dinner, then people take what theu want and pass it around the table. I've always enjoyed those!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We did sit down. I think it has a more upscale feel vs. a casual feel for the buffet, everyone is served promptly, and people don't have to worry about serving themselves in fancy clothes. Also, the price for buffet and plated were the same. We found that since buffets involve more food (to accomodate 2 trips or people taking large servings) the savings just wasn't there.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    schbucli3schbucli3 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had my wedding at a country club and we choose stations. It was comparable in price to plated dinners but I got more variety of food for about the same price. The food was excellent and nobody had any complaints. I've also been to one othr wedding that had stations as well and I like this better than the plated dinners
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I 100% prefer plated meals for most of the reasons stated above but if I had to choose between buffet and stations I would go with stations.
    I'm a Mrs & My Honeymoon Memory
    imageimage
    Wedding Items For Sale
  • Options
    unplainjaneunplainjane member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    maybe it's a canadian thing but i've never been a buffet wedding. all my weddings i've been to have been plated. except if it was a chinese wedding which has been family style which i enjoyed too. i think a buffet wedding could be nice. only down side is standing around in line waiting for food. i've been in lines at weddings for late night food and not much mingling happens. people just want their food.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've never been to a wedding that was not a buffet and I have enjoyed the food and atmosphere of all but one of those, and it was a catering issue.  I think that buffets are just as nice and classy as plated or stations; I feel like it's the venue and food quality that defines that, not the mode by which the food is served.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    mcskatcatmcskatcat member
    edited December 2011
    We had a buffet, but largely because the choices were better for a cheaper price.  A lot of weddings I've been to with buffets anymore have a person - coordinator, etc. - who comes to each table to release them to go grab food rather than waiting in line.  I don't mind plated meals, but I have yet to have liked one at a wedding.  I've been to other charity and political functions that have had nice plated dinners, but I've never been to a nice one at a wedding.   My biggest gripe, coming off of four weddings this summer, is that the food portions are not what I would want for myself.  At every plated dinner I had this summer, the plate was 2/3 meat, whereas I like lots of veggies and small portions of meat.  I prefer buffets because they give you that option. 

Honestly, regardless of what everyone says above - I would do what's most done in your area.  If every wedding you've ever been to has had a plated meal, then people might side-eye if you have a buffet.  I'm not saying that's okay, but there's lot of guests who would do that.  Similarly, if most the weddings you've been to are buffet, then that's probably what makes most guests comfortable. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think buffets are tacky. People are dressed to the 9's and don't want to carry plates and serve them selves. Plated is more sophisticated IMO
  • Options
    sparent2010sparent2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_buffet-vs-food-stations-vs-plated?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:1e76c544-4df7-42b1-9f0e-6dffb282e439Post:99737ec6-9096-4a2d-bcf0-7cbc5d9fa361">Re: Buffet vs. Food Stations vs. Plated</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think buffets are tacky. People are dressed to the 9's and don't want to carry plates and serve them selves. Plated is more sophisticated IMO
    Posted by jbiestman[/QUOTE]

<div>I would disagree with you. I have been to weddings with awesome plated dinners and some have terrible plated dinners. Some have amazing buffets and some buffets suck. But to label all buffets tacky seems to extreme. Personally I like to choose my food so we are going buffet at a yacht club with servers, meat stations you name it. But in your opinion my meal is tacky... </div><div>
    </div>
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've had good and bad experiences with both.  The venue we're looking at offers a 3-maindish buffet or a 2-maindish plated for the same price, and I think we're going to go with the plated just because it's a little classier.  We'll probably do meal choice on the response card so people can choose.  I think it just totally depends on your budget and the caterer.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

"We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love." - Dr. Seuss

Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!
  • Options
    arianaalysearianaalyse member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're doing a buffet, not because of cost, because it's the same as plated. The only difference being, there are more choices with the buffet.

We just liked the idea of people getting to choose what and how much they want to eat. We don't want people to be hungry. Our venue (who also does the catering) did a food tasting with everything set-up buffet style and it was really nice and classy, not tacky at all. The food was hot and delicious.

I've been to weddings with both plated and buffet and the quality and temperature of the food has nothing to do with how it's presented; it all depends on the caterer.
    Holiday
  • Options
    kbgypsykbgypsy member
    edited December 2011
    We are doing starions. We didn't want to have a seated dinner because a lot of people are going to be meeting for the first time and I didn't want people being stuck at a certain table and not able to talk to/meet all of the other guests. Plus I just love that the food is going to be catered to the individual guests. But we are having three different stations so that the guests have a variety (pasta station, beef ternderloin station, and mashed potato station)
  • Options
    RachelOleoRachelOleo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are doing plated because I have been to weddings in the past where these is not enough food on the buffet to feed everyone! At one event, I got some crackers and cheese because everything else was gone! Plated is a little more expensive, but I'm doing it so ALL of my guests get at least something to eat.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_buffet-vs-food-stations-vs-plated?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:1e76c544-4df7-42b1-9f0e-6dffb282e439Post:32228ff2-8748-414b-85a4-6d43995c0a17">Re: Buffet vs. Food Stations vs. Plated</a>:
    [QUOTE]In my opinion, I prefer plated but I think thats because most of the buffet food I have had at wedding has been cold or just blah. Although plated food can be just as blah or cold if you dont have a good caterer. I guess my gripe against buffet is having to get up and go stand in a line for food. If I were to choose between buffet and stations, I would go with the stations.
    Posted by courtchace[/QUOTE]

<div>This is untrue in my experience. I have been to at least a dozen weddings, varying from plated to buffet to stations. In my opinion, the plated dinners have never been as warm or fresh as the buffet food. Food is kept heated on the buffet and is eaten soon after it is plated. In served dinners, the food may sit plated for quite a while before it's served. Because of this we chose to do a buffet. We are having two lines to facilitate quick serving. To alleviate the issue of people in waiting in line, our caterer will release each table one at a time.</div>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It seems like it really depends on a few things:

1) Your caterer.  If your caterer is better at one or the other, go with what they are use to doing.  This may help with the buffet running out of food (that's awful!) or cold plates...
    2) Your event's style.  If you are doing a black-tie event, a buffet may not fit your atmosphere.  If you are doing something a bit more casual, a buffet OR plated OR food stations may fit just fine.  I like the family style- I may have to look into it.
    3)Your budget.  Buffets may give you more food/selection for a cheaper price.

Two Drifters Off To See The World...
  • Options
    Kate61487Kate61487 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Between buffet, plated, and family style I choose family style hands down.  IMO it's the best of both worlds because you get to pick what goes on your plate and how much, but you don't have to go stand in line and try to walk back to your table with a salad plate AND a dinner plate, etc.  Also, it gives you the opportunity to take a little of something, try it, and then take more if you like it.  AND it lets you see all your choices before you start serving.

I've never been to a wedding with food stations, so I don't really have an opinion on that.  But I would think you'd still end up with people standing in line, no?

Also - to some of PP's points:  having a coordinator dismiss tables might reduce the amount of time your guests are physically STANDING in line, but it doesn't get them their food any faster.  Sitting at a table with nothing to do but drink water and watch people go through the buffet line is not any more fun than standing in line.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are doing stations because I think it is more sophisticated than a buffet and it was actually cheaper than a buffet because they said there is less food waste. I dont like buffets because I dont like having to stand in a huge long line, especially if you just want 1 thing. 
  • Options
    lzmac11lzmac11 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I first have to say - I didn't read the other comments.  My husband and I did a buffet style supper for our wedding.  We have however been to every type of wedding out there.  I would have to admit I like buffets the best.  Somehow with buffets it is always good food, you always have somewhere to sit and you don't have to worry about waiting in between courses/your food will be cold/or what is coming on your plate.

One reason why we did a buffet is because then people can pick the things they like and if they didn't like something they didn't have to eat it.  With a full sit down meal it is kind of hard to do that.  

The one wedding we went to that had the stations was super awkward; there wasn't enough tables, no chairs (they were those tall standing tables) and they ended up running out of food.

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary Vacation
  • Options
    SCogs18SCogs18 member
    edited December 2011
    My venue has several packages to choose from with three different price points.  Each price point has two options: a seated dinner or a buffet dinner.  We have chosed a seated dinner because I think they are classier, but we were lucky because cost wasn't a factor because we had the choice.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers

image 225 Invited so far!
    image 148 Are ready to party!
    image 77 Will be missing out!
    image 0 Are MIA!
  • Options
    megahomemegahome member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Buffett and stations require more time, you won't have as much time to truly begin the party if you do food at buffett and stations.  People aren't ever sure what's going on with those meals and if it's the main meal or if there's more.  Plated is by far the best way to go, you can get the entire meal in 45 minutes as opposed to buffetts and stations which require waiting in lines and take 2 hours minimum.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_buffet-vs-food-stations-vs-plated?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:1e76c544-4df7-42b1-9f0e-6dffb282e439Post:b8361441-9079-413e-8823-e98fcdc1e17e">Re: Buffet vs. Food Stations vs. Plated</a>:
    [QUOTE]Buffett and stations require more time, you won't have as much time to truly begin the party if you do food at buffett and stations.  People aren't ever sure what's going on with those meals and if it's the main meal or if there's more.  Plated is by far the best way to go, you can get the entire meal in 45 minutes as opposed to buffetts and stations which require waiting in lines and take 2 hours minimum.
    Posted by megahome[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>2 hours is ridiculous. I've been to several large weddings that served a buffet dinner and it's never taken NEAR that long... </div>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We did food stations and it was actually way less expensive than a plated meal would have been (largely due to the staffing costs). I love food stations. Have always enjoyed this format at other weddings and we loved it at ours and received many compliments. I find the quality of food is often superior and the variety is always appreciated by guests.

Of course it does create a more casual vibe than the more formal plated option (that's what we wanted) so that is something to consider. I think it feels classier and more sophisticated than a standard buffet.
  • Options
    jerzmom114jerzmom114 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_buffet-vs-food-stations-vs-plated?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:1e76c544-4df7-42b1-9f0e-6dffb282e439Post:1f7ee886-cd7f-4c0b-a288-6b51277044ff">Re: Buffet vs. Food Stations vs. Plated</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have never (read: NEVER) had a good experience with plated meals at events.  I hate them with a passion, so I'd always choose a buffet or stations.  I don't mind getting up and getting my own food because I can pick and choose what I want that way, and I won't go hungry like I usually do with a plated meal.  I even stopped at a drive-thru on my way home from my sister's wedding because I was so hungry (plated meal, fancy club... and just BAD). 
    Posted by RebeccaB88[/QUOTE]

Totally agree with this!!! I have been to many weddings where the plated meal had 2 carrot pieces, a teeny tiny piece of steak, and a teaspoon of potatoes !!! Its awful for the money the bride and groom pays at these fancy country clubs and hotels!!! I have gone to drive thrus after weddings and its so frustrating...we are having food stations for main courses such as meats, potatoes and veggies...soup and salad will be brought to the guests by servers ( so they do not have to juggle plates or get back in line for those). Hope everything works out!
  • Options
    PhoneCardLadyPhoneCardLady member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2011
    Looks like I'm going to be the odd person out...

When we had our 30th high school reunion in 2009, we went with food stations.  Let me say that even today I am still getting rave reviews on how it was done.  The food was fantastic, there were no lines to speak of and the people really mingled.

I believe that you should look at the cost and what would be offered.  Sometimes the least expensive way isn't really the way to go, and the same could be said that you might not always get the best with the most expensive!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Have you thought about serving family style? It means that the people seated together have to interact and talk to one another. It is also very cozy, the only downfall is that it may be too casual for your event.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards